The Canadian GT Sport Event Showed the Way Forward for Racing Esports

World-Gaming-Pfaff-Cars-800x600.jpg

I feel it needs to be pointed out that the real miracle was this was FEBRUARY WEATHER IN CANADA

If we in england had your february weather. The country would be:censored:.

Was fun to compete! However it should have been exclusive to wheels and not gamepads it's hard for a sim racer sitting in a rig playing with that full realisim vs a guy at home on his couch with a gamepad where is the skill in that??

However it should have been exclusive to wheels and not gamepads it's hard for a sim racer sitting in a rig playing with that full realisim vs a guy at home on his couch with a gamepad where is the skill in that??

Are you suggesting the competition should've limited its potential to a tiny minority of GT Sport's userbase?

That sounds like a fantastic way to ensure these sorts of events are never repeated.

Very nice article, with real insight for anyone looking to put on events in the future. Hopefully they are out there paying attention..

Thanks! It certainly seemed to catch the eye of people that matter; there were some Sony people there, and as I mention in the article, even Porsche Motorsport's NA boss flew in just to watch the finals. Talking to the people behind the scenes, I'm optimistic we'll be seeing this again. Plus, I really do believe the general blueprint can easily be ported over to any other region. The major advantage here was WorldGaming backing the regional side; it's owned by Cineplex, and thus the theatres are easily accessible.

I went to another WorldGaming event this past weekend, for Call of Duty. I wanted to see how the bigger esports are handled in the same environment, and also figure out what (if anything) the racing genre could pick up from there. We may have an article about it in the future, but if not, I'll definitely be sharing my thoughts in here.

How did one get invited to this? It's frustrating that they don't measure talents in free run lobbies. I don't do sports event, because of the inconsistencies of the penalties. I rather have clean driving and kick disrespectful, abusive drivers that hinders the race, something that the Sports mode tolerates while penalizing both the guy who gets pushed and the guy who push. Anyway's, I'd love to get an opportunity at this next time, if there are actually regulators monitoring the race? The only time I tried sport mode, a guy pushed me off-track and never gave the position back. I mean, come on. Are you guys serious or just playing serious?

How did one get invited to this? It's frustrating that they don't measure talents in free run lobbies. I don't do sports event, because of the inconsistencies of the penalties. I rather have clean driving and kick disrespectful, abusive drivers that hinders the race, something that the Sports mode tolerates while penalizing both the guy who gets pushed and the guy who push. Anyway's, I'd love to get an opportunity at this next time, if there are actually regulators monitoring the race? The only time I tried sport mode, a guy pushed me off-track and never gave the position back. I mean, come on. Are you guys serious or just playing serious?

I would sudgest googling this event before make such BOLD comments. It was held in offline time trails to determine the top 40, then 4 lobbies of 10 that only the top 4 move on to the live finals. Then at the finals it was lan based racing with each driver being watched by a “world gaming ref” anyone could have entered not just “sport mode” players

It was awesome competing in this. My first taste at competitive racing. We had a GTP lobby up for practice almost every night and it was really fun racing with a bunch of you guys (my friends list leader-boards are now filled with fast times).

I only made it through the first qualifiers and finished around 26 overall based on points standings. The top 16 finals were awesome to watch.

I hope this becomes a more regular thing.

Are you suggesting the competition should've limited its potential to a tiny minority of GT Sport's userbase?
Yes of course. What does playing with a gamepad has to do with a driving simulator ? Nothing. Fine for playing at home. Laughable in a racing simulator game. Even more funny in such a competition.

Yes of course. What does playing with a gamepad has to do with a driving simulator ? Nothing. Fine for playing at home. Laughable in a racing simulator game. Even more funny in such a competition.

Hello? Have you watched the video at all? All finalists used Thrustmaster T-GT wheels at the competition. I'm quite sure all were familiar with their own wheel at home so their only adjustment would have been getting used to the feeling of the T-GT. It's impossible to make a pad-to-wheel transition in a matter of minutes or whatever practise time was given before the rounds kicked off.

This is a video game. The majority of GT players will be playing on the input device that came with the system, not a bespoke item that costs the equivalent of four figures in Canada.

As has been the case with GT for years, wheel players did end up as the fastest (though it should be noted that @Raceboy77 is just plain fast with either). But artificially limiting it at the early stages would've done nothing but hurt the competition's chances at drawing in a crowd.

For the genre to florish, it needs to court casuals. Not cater to them, nor alienate.

Hello? Have you watched the video at all? All finalists used Thrustmaster T-GT wheels at the competition. I'm quite sure all were familiar with their own wheel at home so their only adjustment would have been getting used to the feeling of the T-GT. It's impossible to make a pad-to-wheel transition in a matter of minutes or whatever practise time was given before the rounds kicked off.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was reacting to the other post about being able to use a gamepad in such a competition. Which to me sounded really funny.

I do agree with SlipZtrEm that artificially limiting it at the early stages would've done nothing but hurt the competition's chances at drawing in a crowd. But what if you win :)

In the end this matter is not about how you play this game, but how you play this race event.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back