UK Gran Turismo Sport Ad Pulled Due to 'Misleading' Nature

What cars/tracks were shown?

Surely all cars and tracks that were in the original release (so excluding DLC Cars + Monza etc) are fine to show, as all of that content can be access through the Brand Central, and the tracks can be accessed through Arcade Mode. Yes, you need to get a certain amount of XP to unlock certain tracks but surely that can all still be done offline, it just might not save afterwards.

Unless the majority of content must be downloaded on booting the game up and I never realised?

Having worked in retail where the occasional idiot would bring a console back with the story that: 'they didn't realise an internet connection was needed' this doesn't surprise me. After the shambles the UK has become due to people not bothering to look into what they are investing in it surprises me even less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we see the Ad that this news is about?

Haven't found it yet.

Having worked in retail where the occasional idiot would bring a console back with the story that: 'they didn't realise an internet connection was needed' this doesn't surprise me. After the shambles the UK has become due to people not bothering to look into what they are investing in (I'm looking at you Brexit voters) it surprises me even less.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an ad accurately relay information to you, though.

The part that I'm curious about is what is deemed an acceptable percentage. GT Sport is massively cut down if you have no internet connection, sure — but where is the line drawn? From as far as I can tell, about 10% of FM7's car lineup is also unavailable without online. Well, unavailable for players to own: they can be driven in Free Play.

Also, look at GT1–4. A huge chunk of cars in those games were walled off behind skill-based objectives. Is that better or worse (or different entirely) from having content only available to those that connect to Sony servers? What about the days of memory cards — a game's content was unavailable unless you bought one, technically.

We're definitely going to be looking at this as a jumping off point for a variety of conversations about where gaming is going. 👍

That picture in this article is misleading:) TS050 on LeMans where is LeMans? :D

Ah, I was wondering how long it'd be until someone picked up on that. :D

Well now this is interesting news, Maybe it will make Sony/PD sit up and take notice only about 7 months down the line.

In regards to @SlipZtrEm comment about previous entries having the skill wall, I think that's really a different kettle of fish, Back in those days the franchise was arguable more hardcore/sim than it is nowadays, Whilst not everyone has natural talent some of the skills can be learned with patience and meticulous practice, Those are the things that may have held people back but they also do not cost money/bandwidth etc.

Also I think its unfair to blame memory cards for gaming back in the good old days, Due to hardware/software limitations, Frankly I would love to see memory cards return in some way, It would be nice to have a usb stick with a whole game on, Albeit that could get quite expensive, I've always been strange.

What cars/tracks were shown?

Surely all cars and tracks that were in the original release (so excluding DLC Cars + Monza etc) are fine to show, as all of that content can be access through the Brand Central, and the tracks can be accessed through Arcade Mode. Yes, you need to get a certain amount of XP to unlock certain tracks but surely that can all still be done offline, it just might not save afterwards.

Unless the majority of content must be downloaded on booting the game up and I never realised?
On V1 offline, you could only play with a fully-unlocked arcade car list and three tracks.
Can we see the Ad that this news is about?
It was only ever broadcast on British TV, but having seeing it myself (well, I think it's the one that the news story is talking about) it's basically gameplay with the person who does the official videos (can't remember his name) speaking, with the tagline "where the world comes to race".

I get the whole truth in "advertising thing" - if you're advertising on TV you're held to a higher standard, however in 2017 it's a bit late in the day to complain about always online and content that's behind DLC or even free downloaded DLC.

I'm always thinking back to how Microsoft got hit with the 'always online' thing and they walked it back and the reality is both companies have since snuck that back in.... the whole "frog in a boiling pot" thing.

Unless you're in a country with stable unmetered internet you're gonna have problems with these games where so much of the content is not on the disc.

Wait a minute! Is this true?

"In addition, Sport Mode requires a PS Plus subscription "

I thought the Lobby was the only thing that required PS Plus. I have PS Plus so I don't really have a way to test it, but that is what I would be upset about (if true).

I can’t imaginrpe there wasn’t a piece of text somewhere in the ad that mentioned internet connection was required! It’s a bit like internet providers saying their internet is up to 100 MB!

I thought the Lobby was the only thing that required PS Plus. I have PS Plus so I don't really have a way to test it, but that is what I would be upset about (if true).

Every online game that is not free must have a ps+ account on the ps4 to play online. I am unaware of any exceptions. I am confused why are so many people surprised by this.

All online multiplayer portions of all full title PS4 releases require an active PS Plus account on the console to access.

Only 75% of PS4 owners connect it to the internet. Way lower than I expected but I know there must be a significant number of consoles out there for use outside of consumers(workplaces, government agencies, hospitals, schools etc)

Only 75% of PS4 owners connect it to the internet. Way lower than I expected but I know there must be a significant number of consoles out there for use outside of consumers(workplaces, government agencies, hospitals, schools etc)

Connecting to the Internet isn't the same as having a PS+ license, though, is it? There are internet capabilities in the PS4 that don't need PS+.

Bottom line though is, this is the kind of thing that results in bottles having 'Open other end' on the bottom, or bleach containers needing large 'Do Not Drink' signs on them...

Safeguarding idiots (who rarely read the damn signs anyway!). And their idiot parents. :banghead::dunce:

Heres a thought Sony/PD MAKE THE SINGLE PLAYER OFFLINE.

Frankly, they can't. Why? Hackers. Hackers are the reason for the online saves. They ruined GT6 by trying to cheat in online races and thankfully, PD took it seriously.

The only thing PD could do is have separate online and offline saves. That way cars used in online races cannot be affected by any altered save data from the offline save file.

I get the whole truth in "advertising thing" - if you're advertising on TV you're held to a higher standard, however in 2017 it's a bit late in the day to complain about always online and content that's behind DLC or even free downloaded DLC.

I'm always thinking back to how Microsoft got hit with the 'always online' thing and they walked it back and the reality is both companies have since snuck that back in.... the whole "frog in a boiling pot" thing.

Unless you're in a country with stable unmetered internet you're gonna have problems with these games where so much of the content is not on the disc.

No they haven't. They haven't walked it back at all. Neither console is always online and neither ever will be. That was literally the dumbest idea ever from a gaming company, and I am glad they got such crazy backlash over it. Rightfully so. The idea of spending $500 on a console, and not being able to use it if you don't have internet at the time is OUTRAGEOUS. There's no defending it.

Even always online games are completely idiotic. They're nothing but a glorified rental. You don't own the game, you own a license to access the game for as long as the publisher decides to keep the game running. That's already bad enough, but a CONSOLE??? Pure insanity that they even considered that.

GT Sport has issues with it's online save requirement, but it's still not an always online game. Because of that, I believe there's strong potential for the saves to be made offline before the servers are shut down permanently.

And still, unlike a real always online game, you can still play GT Sport if the servers are down for maintenance or whatever. You even still have all your car and track unlocks intact, you just can't make any further progress.

Still, when it comes to advertising, it needs to be made clear that the game requires some internet connection.

...I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an ad accurately relay information to you, though.

The part that I'm curious about is what is deemed an acceptable percentage. GT Sport is massively cut down if you have no internet connection, sure — but where is the line drawn? From as far as I can tell, about 10% of FM7's car lineup is also unavailable without online. Well, unavailable for players to own: they can be driven in Free Play.

Also, look at GT1–4. A huge chunk of cars in those games were walled off behind skill-based objectives. Is that better or worse (or different entirely) from having content only available to those that connect to Sony servers? What about the days of memory cards — a game's content was unavailable unless you bought one, technically.

We're definitely going to be looking at this as a jumping off point for a variety of conversations about where gaming is going. 👍
Indeed, it isn't unreasonable, I was mostly having a dig at the people who abuse a loophole or accept information without checking.

Gaming has indeed changed during the transition between offline and online and as a few posters here have mentioned, it's really been on a per-developer/publisher basis as to what they've gone with. I think gamers are really going to need to read up on new games a bit more in future though, I mean, it's what we all have had to do at some point. Looking forward to those threads.

Having worked in retail where the occasional idiot would bring a console back with the story that: 'they didn't realise an internet connection was needed' this doesn't surprise me. After the shambles the UK has become due to people not bothering to look into what they are investing in (I'm looking at you Brexit voters) it surprises me even less.

I agree, but let's not completely celebrate the move of online gaming to make sure ownership of your purchased copy is no longer ownership, but leasing. The move to online connection requirements has as much if not more to do to make sure you cannot transfer your game to someone else, as it does making the game better.

There's no choice about it really, so yes, I think it's foolish to expect otherwise. But come on, I'm not defending some video game company like they're innocent or friendly with their marketing. Make no mistake, first, this game wants to make money. And second, then they want to make it convenient for you and I.

I agree, but let's not completely celebrate the move of online gaming to make sure ownership of your purchased copy is no longer ownership, but leasing. The move to online connection requirements has as much if not more to do to make sure you cannot transfer your game to someone else, as it does making the game better...
Interesting points for discussion, true - but not really what this thread, or my point was about; at least I don't think so :) I'm fairly sure most developers weren't thinking so much about the sharing aspect of physical copies etc., at least in the beginning, more about the drive to have 20+ players online together (PC naturally has more) in a competitive environment. I mean, I could be wrong there but that's how it has seemed so far, as ultimately, making money and continuing to do so is what they need to do.

Sometimes I'm completely unaware that some of the things that are supposed to offline are an online only feature, from saving to Brand Central, where you can can buy cars and simulate buying expensive luxury watches

I don't think it is unreasonable to have clear information in adverts. It is OK trying to put the onus on potential users as to what and how much of the game, in this case, requires an internet connection, and /or a Playstation Plus account, but adverts like this on national TV are not aimed specifically at the hardcore experienced games players, as they will probably already know a lot about the game already, this is to try and attract the non / casual games players. The non / casual games player may not be aware that developers are making more games that require internet connections to play any or large parts of the game, or more often, games are released either unfinished, or with bugs, and so need an internet connection to either wok in half decent way, or stop crashes. Now no manufacturer is going to advertise that they have released an unfinished buggy game, but they should tell people clearly that an internet connection is required. And if they show gameplay that can only be done with an internet connection, they make it clear.

I think I will still be able to play a large part of GT6 when the PD servers are shut down, unless someone knows something I have missed. And I still can play all the previous GT games with no internet connection, so this is a departure that needs to be made clear. With GT Sport there is only a fraction of the game available to play if you don't have an internet connection, their servers are down, or their servers were to disappear at some point in the future, and imho, that needs to be clear to potential buyers, especially in adverts.

If you show stuff in the advert that is not accessible without an internet connection and / or a Playstation Plus account, then you make it clear. I'm happy that the Advertising Standards Authority have picked up on errors. :)

For some PD can do no wrong. For some the user has to know everything about whatever they buy. For those people, you will never change their minds, so don't bother trying. ;)

Bottom line though is, this is the kind of thing that results in bottles having 'Open other end' on the bottom, or bleach containers needing large 'Do Not Drink' signs on them...

Safeguarding idiots (who rarely read the damn signs anyway!). And their idiot parents. :banghead::dunce:
That's hardly a valid comparison. Video Games require online or have features restricted for online use only (such as saving your progress... wtf...) because the consumers have allowed it to be so by not protesting against it and becoming passive about it. People who buy video games are not always aware of requiring online because of the typical shady practices of the industry.

Frankly, they can't. Why? Hackers. Hackers are the reason for the online saves. They ruined GT6 by trying to cheat in online races and thankfully, PD took it seriously.
I've only seen a couple online, not like it was with online with GT5, They've done a good job with patching that game, never seen any hybrids made to pure winnings and nothing else. On why PolyD can't make a separate offline save due to this reason, then there is a problem with the online-DRM in of itself. I can understand the hybrid problem, but this is not a good solution for preventing said problem. And, when the PS4 is getting to this point, which people will figure something out. It happens, there will always be cheaters. Everything can be that way.

For online only games, well. The lifespan of this game is when the servers stay up until the next GT takes it's place. From the trend I'm seeing it's always 4 years to 5 years till they shut down said server.

I don't think Hackers were a major problem, they did just cause they could.

Hybriding has been a GT thing for many years, and to limit that is limiting player choice to play as they please or like. They can be used to cheat or to show cool stuff, but to eliminate that aspect your limiting the player to just the customization of said car only. The cheaters with HP and Weight multiplier including grip does changes it a lot. Some people just want to make their favorite muscle or tuner car out their but can't.

Back