Penalty System Tragedies

United States
United States
I've just about had it. All last month, after working hard and racing hard and clean, finally got my A DR I deserved. I was an A S driver earlier today but after just THREE freaking rounds of blue moon, I plummeted to a B C. I'm absolutely fed up with this garbage system. I got hit from behind at least 5 times and 3 of those times I got a whopping 10 second penalty. If I barely tapped someone I would get a 4 second penalty. Why even continue trying? This will take a long time to recover from. I want to enjoy this game but I just cant anymore. How bad has the penalty system trolled you guys?

Well, my SR plummeted to B a few days ago and was too scared to race because of the daily races, but today's races were nice so I went back to S. On the very same day the FiA Races happened and I plummeted back to where I was before.
FB_IMG_1520764618787.jpg

How's the online racing scene in Assetto Corsa or PC2?

Well, my SR plummeted to B a few days ago and was too scared to race because of the daily races, but today's races were nice so I went back to S. On the very same day the FiA Races happened and I plummeted back to where I was before.
View attachment 737299
How's the online racing scene in Assetto Corsa or PC2?
It's a frustrating roller coaster. Up and down. I feel you. Just give it time and it'll be back up there. Just dont ever quit a race. Then it REALLY plummets.

Suzuka in a slow car is just not for me, too boring. However now I'm down to 56 SR from Bluemoon. I even got the red B with a clean race bonus, no SR downs nor penalty, just from getting bumped into. My DR actually went back up a bit after losing 1856 points from misplacing my controller, oops. Yet now I'm down in the 50's even a 2nd place is negative DR. Last 2 races 2nd place netted me -239 and -105.

The penalty system is sapping the fun out of it. Last race I had a great race with a DR.B driver. We draft bumped a couple times to catch up to first place who had bumped a car into the wall to create an accident and escape. We caught up to him, passed and in the end the DR.B driver won by 0.13 sec after some great clean driving, photo finish, well done. However although I never hit anyone, nor a wall, zero penalties, no SR Downs, red rating again from the couple draft bumps, either receiving or pushing as we swapped places a couple times. The DR.B player had a blue rating so at least it didn't hurt him.

And yes, my initial descent from max SR was due to other people crashing and tapping me for 10 sec penalty, then another 10 sec penalty getting bumped into another car that scraped the wall as a result. Plus plenty of those 5 sec penalties when you get rammed by a DR.B or lower as DR.A needs to levitate out of the way.

Maybe tomorrow will have a fun daily C race. It only takes 3 or 4 to get back to 99 from 56.

I hate the capricious nature of the penalties. Contact that would take out the radiator and intercooler gets nothing, a slight bump draft or side contact gets 3 or 5 seconds and an orange arrow. I vowed to not care about my SR until I had gotten back up to 99. Today's races instilled that familar "I don't give a fig" attitude. :mad:

Suzuka in a slow car is just not for me, too boring. However now I'm down to 56 SR from Bluemoon. I even got the red B with a clean race bonus, no SR downs nor penalty, just from getting bumped into. My DR actually went back up a bit after losing 1856 points from misplacing my controller, oops. Yet now I'm down in the 50's even a 2nd place is negative DR. Last 2 races 2nd place netted me -239 and -105.

The penalty system is sapping the fun out of it. Last race I had a great race with a DR.B driver. We draft bumped a couple times to catch up to first place who had bumped a car into the wall to create an accident and escape. We caught up to him, passed and in the end the DR.B driver won by 0.13 sec after some great clean driving, photo finish, well done. However although I never hit anyone, nor a wall, zero penalties, no SR Downs, red rating again from the couple draft bumps, either receiving or pushing as we swapped places a couple times. The DR.B player had a blue rating so at least it didn't hurt him.

And yes, my initial descent from max SR was due to other people crashing and tapping me for 10 sec penalty, then another 10 sec penalty getting bumped into another car that scraped the wall as a result. Plus plenty of those 5 sec penalties when you get rammed by a DR.B or lower as DR.A needs to levitate out of the way.

Maybe tomorrow will have a fun daily C race. It only takes 3 or 4 to get back to 99 from 56.
Yea it doesnt take too long getting everything back up but it's still a very annoying neucence. I wonder how the developers are going to fix this or even when. But I do understand the challenges of developing a good penalty system as there is no way for it actually judge the incident.

Im not one to care. As long as there is good racing thats all that matters. Its not a real racing discipline, so not all going to race clean. Get used to it.

Its the fact that B racers running into you (as an A/S or higher) nets you a large penalty, essentailly awarding their dirty behaviour.
i joined a couple race B's and was hit around from some divebombs and sideswipes, went to A/A. Then next race same thing down to A/B. Then Finally on the last race i was In first after battleing one of the dirtiest drivers ive seen, with pace..
(seen him a couple times now)
on the 15th lap i was disconnected, so i turned off the ps4 right then and there. Bad night... log in the next day and im low B/C lol, what a crock.

Im a diehard gt player but this is really getting old.
Figure it out pd, next thing you know ACC will come out and beat you to a functioning penalty system. Then what will the community around here look like?

Its the fact that B racers running into you (as an A/S or higher) nets you a large penalty, essentailly awarding their dirty behaviour.
i joined a couple race B's and was hit around from some divebombs and sideswipes, went to A/A. Then next race same thing down to A/B. Then Finally on the last race i was In first after battleing one of the dirtiest drivers ive seen, with pace..
(seen him a couple times now)
on the 15th lap i was disconnected, so i turned off the ps4 right then and there. Bad night... log in the next day and im low B/C lol, what a crock.

Im a diehard gt player but this is really getting old.
Figure it out pd, next thing you know ACC will come out and beat you to a functioning penalty system. Then what will the community around here look like?
Same here I'm a huge GT fan but it's getting old real fast. This penalty system needs to be their no.1 priority. It's the most complained about thing. It's very demoralizing.

This will take a long time to recover from. I want to enjoy this game but I just cant anymore. How bad has the penalty system trolled you guys?

Been there, done that. It doesn't take that long to recover. You won't have forgotten what you've learnt playing so far just because the game sees fit to lower your DR and SR. Most of the time you'll be matched up in races where the rest of the field is way slower because of your low SR so chances are you won't pick up much DR from those, even if you win by miles, but once you get back to SR S you 'll be matched better and you should pick up DR fairly quickly.

I still don't understand what the point of the penalty system is working this way. Is it to drive players away from the game? I agree that they need to start showing some improvements to the penalty system as their number one priority.

Been there, done that. It doesn't take that long to recover. You won't have forgotten what you've learnt playing so far just because the game sees fit to lower your DR and SR. Most of the time you'll be matched up in races where the rest of the field is way slower because of your low SR so chances are you won't pick up much DR from those, even if you win by miles, but once you get back to SR S you 'll be matched better and you should pick up DR fairly quickly.

I still don't understand what the point of the penalty system is working this way. Is it to drive players away from the game? I agree that they need to start showing some improvements to the penalty system as their number one priority.
Your right your right it doesnt take that long. It just still demoralizes me when I log in and see that BC on the top right. I've been through this before. Up and down. It's just always a pain in the ass getting back on track when it shouldn't have happened in the first place. But I won't quit. It'll take time but I'll get it back to AS.

Like Slader said, it's not that it's hard to get back to the top of your SR rank (I can go from B to S in 3-4 Race C dailies), but it's more of the demoralization factor that the letter brings. As well as the DR resets. Right now sitting at A+/B, one wrong race and it'll be a big climb all over again back to A+. Like my SR, it wouldn't be a long process for me to get back to A+ if I do get reset, but it's just so frustrating and demoralizing to see a reset that I lose all my motivation to play :(

Its happenned a couple times for me now, admittedly tho its usually when i come home from golf having had a couple beers and maybe a puff or two?
And then i have the audacity to to play a race b and actually try to win. Its always when ive had a couple and not qualified overly well, I just dont perform as well after maybe 3 beers? 1 or 2 is fine makes no difference but 3 or 4 and my pace goes down a second or 2 as well as consistency.

Like Slader said, it's not that it's hard to get back to the top of your SR rank (I can go from B to S in 3-4 Race C dailies), but it's more of the demoralization factor that the letter brings. As well as the DR resets. Right now sitting at A+/B, one wrong race and it'll be a big climb all over again back to A+. Like my SR, it wouldn't be a long process for me to get back to A+ if I do get reset, but it's just so frustrating and demoralizing to see a reset that I lose all my motivation to play :(
Hit the nail right on the head. Especially when you talked about seeing the letter. It sucks! But like I said I've been through this before. Up and down. I was just really upset this time because I worked so hard to get it to A and in a few races all that hard work just gone.

I always make my way back S sr within a race or 2 or 3 and A dr takes a little while longer but i eventually get back so i dont really care. I usually get a handful of wins on the way back as well so im up to 65 now with the latest reset.

I honestly think pd is just trolling us all with the tack and car combos lately. Ovals and short tracks with high numbers of laps and shady first corners. Are they testing us and making statistics to further tune the penalty system or just trying to piss us off.

... It's the most complained about thing. It's very demoralizing.

This, exactly this.
I see a lot of you again complaining about their ups and downs in their ratings. That's annoying, correct, but I for one actually could learn to live with it, especially with them ratings being worth nothing as it stands.
To me the penalty system is the big fun ( game ) breaker, when about every second race feels like a permanent stop and go penalty and you don't get to race anymore.
We used to complain about the dirty guys out there who destroy our racing - we have to complain about a penalty system as of now that does their job even better. Insane !

My biggest gripe with this game is the DR rating not the SR. I was 500 points away from DR S and then had a few tragic races (couple of mistakes but mainly being punted off) which really demoralised me and now quite frankly I can’t be bothered to even try to get back to where I was. Surely a system based on an average of maybe 3 or 5 races would be better? One bad race shouldn’t have such a harsh punishment imo

Okay, I'm going to be controversial here - I don't have the same problem.
I really enjoy the sport races. There is usually one I like to do. If there isn't - I have plenty of other things to do (work for instance!)

At both Blue Moon yesterday, and Monza the day before, I generally ended up with a blue S for my SR. Admittedly, I deliberately didn't qualify so that I started at the back. I find it more fun to see if I can make my way through the field. (When i qualify, I notice that I tend to have quite lonely races - to slow to challenge for the win or a podium, and too fast for the group behind). I even had a few incidents, and still ended up with a clean race bonus in a few races.

The rating systems seems to work really well for me, I rarely get an undeserved penalty (I make mistakes - sorry guys), and usually when I suffer at the hands of others (they seem to usually get a penalty). I am not saying that it is perfect, and I still encounter idiots. But generally I find the racing to be reasonably clean, and most of all fun.

I tend to be a bit patient in the first corner, or chicane at Monza. Driving through several ghosted cars and then I race. To finish first (or 6th in my case!) first you have to finish. Using the rear view, if I think I'm going to be dive bombed, I give them the entry of the corner, often ending up overtaking them on the inside as they tend to slide into the outside. Or at least draft them down towards the next corner. I've been hit into a spin, its annoying, oh well! At least I have another race to have a go at in less that 20 mins or so.

Some idiots try to spoil things, and on rare occasion if I'm not enjoying the race I quit ( I don't care for my DR in the slightest - actually if I go down, I might get the chance for a pole position!) This is a game, and so I play it for my entertainment. Do i really care if some idiot beats me - no because if that is what they need for a fulfilling life then they have a lot of growing up to do.

Is the system perfect, no. I was okay with it when the games was launched, and generally think that it has been developed and refined to, or the whole, be a fairly reasonable system.

I'm reminded of this thread :lol:https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/why-do-people-do-dr-sr-killer-races-then-complain.378254/

There are well established combos that are disasters for SR. If more people avoided them you're more likely to get better races chosen for Dailies. You barely see Alsace or reverse layouts anymore because people avoided them, Gr4 Maggiore and Gr3 Brands come up a lot in FIA because you get a lot of people entering them.

They really need to drop the DR differences in penalties though. You get away with so much in the lower DR ranks that when these people get to DR A they have bad habits instilled in them and ruin everyone's race. That and the awful driving etiquette videos and it's no surprise so many people have no idea how to race properly.

I really enjoy the sport races. There is usually one I like to do. If there isn't - I have plenty of other things to do (work for instance!)

At both Blue Moon yesterday, and Monza the day before, I generally ended up with a blue S for my SR. Admittedly, I deliberately didn't qualify so that I started at the back. I find it more fun to see if I can make my way through the field. (When i qualify, I notice that I tend to have quite lonely races - to slow to challenge for the win or a podium, and too fast for the group behind). I even had a few incidents, and still ended up with a clean race bonus in a few races.

The rating systems seems to work really well for me, I rarely get an undeserved penalty (I make mistakes - sorry guys), and usually when I suffer at the hands of others (they seem to usually get a penalty). I am not saying that it is perfect, and I still encounter idiots. But generally I find the racing to be reasonably clean, and most of all fun.

I tend to be a bit patient in the first corner, or chicane at Monza. Driving through several ghosted cars and then I race. To finish first (or 6th in my case!) first you have to finish. Using the rear view, if I think I'm going to be dive bombed, I give them the entry of the corner, often ending up overtaking them on the inside as they tend to slide into the outside. Or at least draft them down towards the next corner. I've been hit into a spin, its annoying, oh well! At least I have another race to have a go at in less that 20 mins or so.

Some idiots try to spoil things, and on rare occasion if I'm not enjoying the race I quit ( I don't care for my DR in the slightest - actually if I go down, I might get the chance for a pole position!) This is a game, and so I play it for my entertainment. Do i really care if some idiot beats me - no because if that is what they need for a fulfilling life then they have a lot of growing up to do.

Is the system perfect, no. I was okay with it when the games was launched, and generally think that it has been developed and refined to, or the whole, be a fairly reasonable system.

Undeserved penalties are not that frequent, yet in sprint races the amount of SR points lost from a 10 sec penalty outweigh three totally clean races. Plus you still get SR deduction from someone hitting you without any penalties (or SR Downs) being issued.

I did 9 Monza races on Friday, only got nailed twice, yet ended below SR 99 at the end. (2nd number is the SR gain/loss)
8:20 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 6 5 5 1
7:20 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 6 4 5 1
7:00 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 5 -7 3 2
6:40 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 4 5 5 -1
6:20 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 5 -7 7 -2
6:00 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 5 4 2 3
5:40 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 5 1 2 3
3:40 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 8 3 3 5
3:20 PM Daily Race B Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR4 6 2 2 4
Actually that went really well.

Bluemoon yesterday however ended on 56
8:20 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 4 -4 2 2
8:00 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 3 2 3 0
7:40 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 9 0 6 3
7:20 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 6 -4 2 4
7:00 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 7 1 1 6
6:40 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 1 2 1 0
6:20 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 4 -4 2 2
1:40 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 7 -6 7 0
1:20 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 5 -6 2 3
1:00 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 9 -6 4 5
12:40 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 4 0 2 2
12:20 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 6 5 15 -9
12:00 PM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 8 -23 12 -4
11:40 AM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 6 0 6 0
11:20 AM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 8 3 4 4
11:00 AM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 11 0 8 3
10:40 AM Daily Race B Blue Moon Bay Speedway GR3 10 1 5 5

Most races were enjoyable, I had about 5 clean race bonuses (with white or red rating...). Some had some careful draft bumping to catch up to the front which is a big no in DR.A and the -23 was from clipping a wreck for 10 sec penalty (unavoidable coming out of T1) and getting bumped by a DR.B players into another DR.A player for another 10 sec.

It's pretty impossible to climb back up on Bluemoon and if you race long enough the house will win. It's is not reasonable to get severe penalties from other's mistakes. Even though Monza went well, half my races I started with a penalty from someone not braking or bumping in T1. Racing with a deficit on the clock half the time is annoying. Same on Bluemoon.

In race C it's the opposite. On the Infield I've seen total dirt fests,, way way worse than Monza or Bluemoon, and the whole room ends up with blue ratings. The difference between max 5 SR and 21 SR or more to gain per race. It's not reasonable, it's not balanced, it just happens to be better than free for all racing in other online racing games.

Here some biggest failures in the penalty system:

-You tap just a little your in front car (outside the curve) without any consequences for anyone and get a 10 sec and he gets some, too
-you get divebombed and get a harder penalty then the bomber because the system thinks you closed his way. because of that its just depending on your follower's character if he will divebomb you or not. Because both of you know that he would get away with it and take your place if he would do it

Somebody wrote that Kaz wants cars easyer to spin in a collision. Meanwhile we know that the system often simply can't find out who is more guilty in a collision. So when I read this, I have to assume that not only the guilty car will spin but the victiom also.

Maybe it would be than closer to reality, but Dear Mr. Yamauchi:
In reality the races are done by people who do it as their job. They think twice before sticking their nose into the corner and looking what will happen. And there are not only penalties but real damage with unbelivable money consequences. So as long as your AI system is not capable of 100% correct analyzing the collision and/or at least tell us what we did wrong, than I would be carefull for harder consequences for all involved in a collision.

Last edited:
Not being the best racer, having my SR and dR in the A-S range is just the dream. And that dream happened and oh it was so glorious.

Then, the few days I got one just had the worst of the worst races. Monza, Expressway, Mount Panorama. Both DR and SR went down to D. Ouch. Playing Dirty is no fun, so I tried my best to get back up. Luckily I've had the best of luck at ovals, (god I love ovals) and that's gotten both DR and SR back up to B. Hopefully I can get back on soon enough.

It's not so bad now... I think the DR penalties in the case of a reset are a little steep though, at A+ it's a minimum of 10k since it resets you to 40k and that can take anywhere from 10 to 30 races to regain. Maybe resetting to 3/4 of the rank below instead of 1/2 would be better, from A+ to 45k DR instead of 40k.

It's not so bad now... I think the DR penalties in the case of a reset are a little steep though, at A+ it's a minimum of 10k since it resets you to 40k and that can take anywhere from 10 to 30 races to regain. Maybe resetting to 3/4 of the rank below instead of 1/2 would be better, from A+ to 45k DR instead of 40k.
A at 46800 to b at 15000 for 1 race where I was dive bombed and pushed out of the way, with Sr from b to c, so SR loss automatically takes you down on dr

I like your mindset. Growing up I've been in many competitive sports and when I joined the military I was even more competitive. I guess it's a mindset I have. To finish first. To be the best that I can be no matter what. But these days it seems to bring more harm than good. Perhaps I should be the one to learn how to have fun again.

Not being the best racer, having my SR and dR in the A-S range is just the dream. And that dream happened and oh it was so glorious.

Then, the few days I got one just had the worst of the worst races. Monza, Expressway, Mount Panorama. Both DR and SR went down to D. Ouch. Playing Dirty is no fun, so I tried my best to get back up. Luckily I've had the best of luck at ovals, (god I love ovals) and that's gotten both DR and SR back up to B. Hopefully I can get back on soon enough.
Same here I love ovals and bluemoon. In the past, bluemoon was my money maker. Always qualified 1st or podium, passed anyone and pretty much boosted my DR and SR. But the other day it became my worst nightmare and completely ruined everything. It's a love hate relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your mindset. Growing up I've been in many competitive sports and when I joined the military I was even more competitive. I guess it's a mindset I have. To finish first. To be the best that I can be no matter what. But these days it seems to bring more harm than good. Perhaps I should be the one to learn how to have fun again.
Seems like we come from the same parents.... or may be your'e my son..LOL :lol::lol::lol: - same as me though... competitive since day 1 at pre school, sprint running - football and when I got my driver licence - one year later I was racing a 65 beetle with 1600cc motor. Got invitation from Volvo in the 70's - yes I'm old..... -Then military....same thing... then started racing motorcycles in US 1991. I had fun and great time with fellow competitors. Now I'm sitting home doing GTS. Love the game but I have a slightly different feel I must admit from my point of view with these dar.. penalty systems they have in place here today and it's just keep getting worse.... I like to enjoy myself on the racetrack - but it's now just so wrong that I'm actually (sorry to say but honestly) make me upset to see these added seconds due to penalties caused by dive-bombers or even when they come right through you as a ghost can't make the turn continue sideways into nowhere - and I get 5 seconds....... It's said before and I agree - it really take the fun away from the game, before when winning a game I bought a nice bottle of champagne for my wife and myself to share in happiness - today winning a race doesn't give me the celebration mood anymore.. just making me understand I was real lucky.... just wonder why do they do it? Too many players online to handle the volume?

Last edited:
Seems like we come from the same parents.... or may be your'e my son..LOL :lol::lol::lol: - same as me though... competitive since day 1 at pre school, sprint running - football and when I got my driver licence - one year later I was racing a 65 beetle with 1600cc motor. Got invitation from Volvo in the 70's - yes I'm old..... -Then military....same thing... then started racing motorcycles in US 1991. I had fun and great time with fellow competitors. Now I'm sitting home doing GTS. Love the game but I have a slightly different feel I must admit from my point of view with these dar.. penalty systems they have in place here today and it's just keep getting worse.... I like to enjoy myself on the racetrack - but it's now just so wrong that I'm actually (sorry to say but honestly) make me upset to see these added seconds due to penalties caused by dive-bombers or even when they come right through you as a ghost can't make the turn continue sideways into nowhere - and I get 5 seconds....... It's said before and I agree - it really take the fun away from the game, just wonder why do they do it?
Looks like we're in the same boat for sure buddy haha I got out of the Marines in August. But the penalty system sucks but I think they are testing what works and what doesnt work. My theory is they are testing for the development of Gran Turismo 7. Seeing what works and what doesnt. GT Sport is sorta the experiment since
Kazunori Yamauchi (creator of gran turismo) stated that GT7 was in the works since the day GT Sport released. I guess we suffer now and get a much better balanced Gran Turismo game in the future. I guess you can say Sport is the petri dish.

Back