2018 Grand Prix de MonacoFormula 1 

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
It's Monaco, baby - Formula 1 returns to that 'sunny place for shady people'!

Mercedes claim they're going to struggle here... but with the walls so close and strategies so tight there's a chance anybody could struggle this weekend :D

Monaco2018.JPG

Always entertaining mayhem leading up to the race, and often a very boring race once it starts. I'm more pumped for qualifying than the race.

It will still make for some reasonably good footage from Halo-Cam. Lovely scenery, wonderful challenge to drive and set up, but not really suitable for racing anymore. Not that I want it to go away. F1 isn't exactly the place to go if you're looking for racing anyway.

The Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600 are sparking more interest than this.
You would think so, at least at Indy - so many have a real chance of winning. The downforce has been about halved, so the courage required going into turn 1 is elevated. Unfortunately, it can be guessed there will be much running in single file at the front. NASCAR is working on a new package to make the racing more exciting. But I don't think you'll see it at the 600. I expect Harvick and Kyle Busch to dominate.

Does anyone already know what Ferrari need to change with their hybrid system as requested/demanded by FIA today? A developing story

I do love Monaco. Yeah the race isn’t that flash without some drama, but I love watching these cars around here. It’s crazy that fact these cars still race around the circuit, and the onboards are mind blowing. The super slo mo at Swimming Pool shows how hard the drivers are pushing.

They’ve changed the Petronas logo on the Mercs to black, which looks really good close up, but is completely ineligible during the normal TV shots.

Verstappen is already only a tenth away from last year's pole time. We could see some utterly incredible lap times on Saturday.

Does anyone already know what Ferrari need to change with their hybrid system as requested/demanded by FIA today? A developing story
https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/fia-looks-into-legality-of-2018-ferrari-20180425

This was around the same time that the mysterious extra lever Vettel had was talked about by the FIA and supposedly warranted further investigation. Which I think the tech thread talked about, but can't be sure cause I have barely started updating it again.

I do love Monaco. Yeah the race isn’t that flash without some drama, but I love watching these cars around here. It’s crazy that fact these cars still race around the circuit, and the onboards are mind blowing. The super slo mo at Swimming Pool shows how hard the drivers are pushing.

100% agreed, there is little else other than going to a live race that actually gives you an idea of just how blisteringly fast these cars are.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/fia-looks-into-legality-of-2018-ferrari-20180425

This was around the same time that the mysterious extra lever Vettel had was talked about by the FIA and supposedly warranted further investigation. Which I think the tech thread talked about, but can't be sure cause I have barely started updating it again.
During FP1 the (Dutch) reporter said it was a new technical 'something' around the hybrid system MGU-MGK. Not the extra flappy paddle which was probably meant for exhaust airflow. Further details would follow during the weekend. But FIA already 'warned' Ferrari that they had to change a 'specific part' immediately. Vague... I know we do not like gossips and only like facts but as this is going to be a bit of a boring race* we focus on the Dailynews.co.uk which has a worth watching cover today ;)

* boring race: hopefully I'm wrong again and we'll see fireworks on the track

I can't remember what the source was, but I remember recently seeing that the FIA wanted to clarify and understand a way in which Ferrari were using their batteries to deliver hybrid power to the engine. It was something about potentially delivering more than the maximum permitted power whilst remaining undetected.

FP1 was cool, watching from Australia.
Inspired me to cut some laps myself ln GT6, could only manage 1m20s in Formula GT, got 1m07s in Tomahawk X.
(20 minute session).
Amazing how fast the Tomahawk lap looks, compared to a real lap of 1m12s!
I realise it’s not a perfect simulator, but far out! I still can’t comprehend the onboard footage

I can't remember what the source was, but I remember recently seeing that the FIA wanted to clarify and understand a way in which Ferrari were using their batteries to deliver hybrid power to the engine. It was something about potentially delivering more than the maximum permitted power whilst remaining undetected.
Ted on Sky F1 (via Fox Sports in Aus) said that FIA have inspected Ferrari’s cars and are satisfied with no breach, but have told them to put in extra sensors to make sure of no power gains

P.S.
Ricciardo for the win :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Max does not get a penalty for driving backwards during FP1 because the yellow flags were already waving before he came back on track.

During FP1 the (Dutch) reporter said it was a new technical 'something' around the hybrid system MGU-MGK. Not the extra flappy paddle which was probably meant for exhaust airflow. Further details would follow during the weekend. But FIA already 'warned' Ferrari that they had to change a 'specific part' immediately. Vague... I know we do not like gossips and only like facts but as this is going to be a bit of a boring race* we focus on the Dailynews.co.uk which has a worth watching cover today ;)

* boring race: hopefully I'm wrong again and we'll see fireworks on the track

The flappy paddle wasn't the point of my post or the FIA directive I gave you the link to. The reason the FIA first became to suspect Ferrari engine irregularities is because of the noise heard from it. From there they suspected there was potential mapping cheats going on with exhaust blown, this has now shifted to potential cheats with MGU-H, as well as additional questions on their oil burn. The point being is there are multiple inquiries leveled at Ferrari right now how legal their car is, and if or not they're in the grey area (like the mirror wings last GP) or not.

https://thejudge13.com/2018/05/15/more-ferrari-cheating-allegations/

This talks more on it and another article I had been meaning to post but had forgot. Ferrari are a bit hard to keep up with these days, and there isn't much updates to go on when the FIA finally gets involved, it's when ever the FIA decide to report updates really.

Thanks for your extra explanation. Gives more detailed insights. We could be engineers if they have a job vacancy.

FP2 was more or less the same expected stuff. Now what to do on Friday? :scared:

Back