Kazunori Yamauchi Interview: Gran Turismo's Community is "Like a Family"

So, I am more confident now that we will see an Americas based track next week (my bets go for COTA)

Why do you think CoTA though? Has he been over there looking at the track? A lot of ppl are thinking it will be CoTA. I wouldn't mind that at all since I went to every ALMS/Grand-Am/USCC and WEC race that was there. I really like the track.

But I would probably bet that Laguna Seca or Sears point would be more likely to show up as they were already in previous games. I am no game designer but would it not be easier to remodel a track than it is to make new from scratch?

Only two possible scenarios I see for next week's new track, we get Circuit De Cataluyna first and then the result from the
USA event in next month's DLC or we get a rare honour and have two new tracks added in one month!

Personally I want Circuit of the America's in the game as it's one of my favorite tracks in the F1 calendar but given there has been
past data for Laguna Seca in previous games it is probably much easier to redo that for PS4 than scan the new track.

Or wildcard and they give us all three tracks to keep everyone happy?

They already talked about the fact that just because a track was in a previous game they can't just remaster it as is. Apparently some crap changes along the way and it takes longer than we thought.

But then how do you explain the plethora of tracks coming back in GT5 and that was a console change? PD just doesn't know how to code efficiently with the PS4.

Very nice interview. It's always refreshing to read bits and pieces of what's going on in Kaz's mind.

I like this quote:

“Yes, every once in a while, but I think I was fastest in Gran Turismo maybe 14 years ago!” _ Kaz

Mainly because 14 years ago, without online multiplayer, everyone was the fastest in Gran Turismo (4). :D

They already talked about the fact that just because a track was in a previous game they can't just remaster it as is. Apparently some crap changes along the way and it takes longer than we thought.

But then how do you explain the plethora of tracks coming back in GT5 and that was a console change? PD just doesn't know how to code efficiently with the PS4.
Aside from GT5 being in production for quite a while longer, most of the non brand new tracks were slightly upscaled GT4 tracks and most of the tracks in the game only had one fixed time and weather setting, with a few exceptions. Now all of the tracks are being updated with different times and a similar sense of quality all around. That takes some time, nevermind the extra graphical fidelity necessary on the PS4 over the PS3.

Why do you think CoTA though? Has he been over there looking at the track? A lot of ppl are thinking it will be CoTA. I wouldn't mind that at all since I went to every ALMS/Grand-Am/USCC and WEC race that was there. I really like the track.

But I would probably bet that Laguna Seca or Sears point would be more likely to show up as they were already in previous games. I am no game designer but would it not be easier to remodel a track than it is to make new from scratch?

No concrete evidence its just a gut feeling, I would be quiet happy with any of the mentioned tracks all three, would be even better, and its free content.

I am going to take a guess on a long shot, that both (Circuit De Cataluyna and an American Track) will be in the same update, it been the 1 year anniversary.

Well...
When I was of single digit age Donkey Kong and the Mario Bros were still unheard of. But still: part of the GT family for almost 21 years at least. ;)

Watkins Glen would be a nice addition. Lovely setting. Great track. Fantastic provinence.
I do miss the two user created versions I downloaded for GT6.
Not betting on the Glen, but since Christmas is ”near”...

Aside from GT5 being in production for quite a while longer, most of the non brand new tracks were slightly upscaled GT4 tracks and most of the tracks in the game only had one fixed time and weather setting, with a few exceptions. Now all of the tracks are being updated with different times and a similar sense of quality all around. That takes some time, nevermind the extra graphical fidelity necessary on the PS4 over the PS3.
Exactly.

Kaz really does live and breathe Gran Turismo and I love his endless enthusiasm.

I wish he had been asked why our Le Mans-spec TS050 Hybrid has a 6-speed gearbox as opposed to the 7-speed it should feature.

Because 7 8 9. Obviously. :lol:

And I personally would prefer COTA over Laguna Seca, although I would actually like both.

But considering they are using X2014s for the regional championships, I'd figure COTA is a better venue for that car.

But they can just use Interlagos for the American region.

Edit: And I see that they are lol.

Back