Thanks to Fortnite, We Could See More Cross-Platform Racing Games

We can hope so anyways. What pcars 2 and others need is a decent competition system. I just signed up with iracing mainly because of their license categories and organized, scheduled racing. Dunno if I'll like it but tired of the ad-hoc approach pcars and ACC (so far) have went with. I'm even ok paying a subscription fee to get that. So far sounds like only the GT series has managed something more decent like that on consoles (from what I can tell as an outsider to ps4). Forza 7 might yet finally come up with something when their race regulations release but we'll see. Hence, I'm trying iRacing as would like something more organized with rules to discourage the jackwagons ( at least to some degree).

I’d really like that. But then would the exclusives want to stay exclusives? It would mean more money for them to be non-exclusive then if it were

My biggest worry about this is that games will start requiring you to create another account or use another launcher in order to make cross-platform work. On the PC side of this it's already annoying to have Steam, UPlay, Origin, Blizzard, GOG, and now Epic Games with their own launchers. Bringing that onto consoles would just make the problem worse and just increase the likelihood of your account getting compromised and your data stolen.

Do agree with this. I really hate all the new crap stores all wanting their own account -ie: Origin, Blizzard, etc... I hate Origin enough I mostly regret having bought Battlefield recently. They truly suck. However a pcars specific account I could go with I guess if I had to.

ss3
I’d really like that. But then would the exclusives want to stay exclusives? It would mean more money for them to be non-exclusive then if it were
I would imagine so. They're still going to want to push the consoles that they're making, and without exclusives, that'll be a little tough.

We really need this. I have PC2 on the PS4 and there are a max of 25 barely-filled lobbies to choose from at a given time...globally. Sim racing is already a pretty niche genre so it would be nice for the rather small community to be as connected, and therefore plentiful, as possible.

The author of this article should correct himself in stating that the Forza series is only playable on the XBOX platform. It is already multi=platform as you can play on both the XBOX and PC. As well as playing together online together. It is a very well known fact that I am surprised he seemingly was not aware of... Although the XBOX and Windows are both Microsoft properties they are still different systems and therefore a title played on both platforms would be considered "multi-platform".

The author of this article should correct himself in stating that the Forza series is only playable on the XBOX platform. It is already multi=platform as you can play on both the XBOX and PC. As well as playing together online together. It is a very well known fact that I am surprised he seemingly was not aware of... Although the XBOX and Windows are both Microsoft properties they are still different systems and therefore a title played on both platforms would be considered "multi-platform".
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Things happen.

Michael is aware of that, and so am I (I edited the article). I have added "Xbox/PC" for specificity, though I think the original meaning was clear from the surrounding context.

While Forza games are "multi-platform" in terms of hardware, they are are not "multi-platform" in terms of network infrastructure, as Windows games connect to the Xbox Live service. It cannot be considered a true example of "cross-platform" play.

Michael is aware of that, and so am I (I edited the article). I have added "Xbox/PC" for specificity, though I think the original meaning was clear from the surrounding context.

While Forza games are "multi-platform" in terms of hardware, they are are not "multi-platform" in terms of network infrastructure, as Windows games connect to the Xbox Live service. It cannot be considered a true example of "cross-platform" play.

Not sure what you mean here. Pretty sure when playing Forza on the PC I'm playing against guys on the Xbox. Almost positive given the fact that the lobbies are so full as would expect # of players on Forza on PC to be very low percentile.

Not sure what you mean here. Pretty sure when playing Forza on the PC I'm playing against guys on the Xbox. Almost positive given the fact that the lobbies are so full as would expect # of players on Forza on PC to be very low percentile.
That while you're correct in saying that it's playable on more than one piece of hardware, it's only because they share the exact same infrastructure practically making the means of playing one and the same. It's not the same as true Cross Platform games that connect through all their own individual services, but operating under one server - Their connecting through the same service to the same servers.

You're right in the most technical, literal term - It just made sense to speak of it as such, given the context of the article, and the mentioning of true crossplatform games, I feel.

Sony is the real problem here as Microsoft cares much less about the hardware so are perfectly willing to let you connect to xbox live from other hardware platforms. They want the subscription revenue.

Course, their new goal (as is Sony's (probably begrudgingly)) is to virtualize the hardware where you connect to a stream for the game on whatever hardware you can which of course serves to cement you more into their particular game service and ecosystem. Hence, I don't see this problem really going away to be honest other than the # of devices you can play on will increase but there is not going to be cross-play between xbox live hosted streamed games and Sony ones. Sucks for sure but it's no different than the same crap playing out with your cellphone, your home control, your digital video sellers, etc.. Everyone wants that "recurring subscription" revenue provide by locking you into their particular service. Perhaps in the future (several years from now) you will see consoles become generic and able to connect to whatever game service they will. If that happens vendors like SMS could choose to forego xbox live, sony live, whatever live, and just host their own service (on say Amazon S3 or Microsoft Cloud) and give you true "play on whatever device you want" access to the same service and servers. Don't count on it though given the niceties Xbox live and Sony live and whatever service will provide to make hosting easier on the developer.

Sony is the real problem here as Microsoft cares much less about the hardware so are perfectly willing to let you connect to xbox live from other hardware platforms. They want the subscription revenue.

Course, their new goal (as is Sony's (probably begrudgingly)) is to virtualize the hardware where you connect to a stream for the game on whatever hardware you can which of course serves to cement you more into their particular game service and ecosystem. Hence, I don't see this problem really going away to be honest other than the # of devices you can play on will increase but there is not going to be cross-play between xbox live hosted streamed games and Sony ones. Sucks for sure but it's no different than the same crap playing out with your cellphone, your home control, your digital video sellers, etc.. Everyone wants that "recurring subscription" revenue provide by locking you into their particular service. Perhaps in the future (several years from now) you will see consoles become generic and able to connect to whatever game service they will. If that happens vendors like SMS could choose to forego xbox live, sony live, whatever live, and just host their own service (on say Amazon S3 or Microsoft Cloud) and give you true "play on whatever device you want" access to the same service and servers. Don't count on it though given the niceties Xbox live and Sony live and whatever service will provide to make hosting easier on the developer.

Microsoft is putting their games on PC because they have a platform for that kind of stuff(windows live),Microsoft would never put their new Xbox games on PC if they didn't have a infrastructure there same for Sony and Nintendo.Forza will remain a exclusive to all Microsoft ecosystems.

You are only allowed one account here.
Yep. Point I'm making is the new ecosystem soon will be the game streaming service and it will become hardware agnostic over time but games will remain locked into the service. Maybe if we are lucky one of them will break out but basically I'd say cross-platform or rather cross-service being a better term is going to be a no-go for most due to hassles of setting up external servers and contract terms, etc...

Yep. Point I'm making is the new ecosystem soon will be the game streaming service and it will become hardware agnostic over time but games will remain locked into the service. Maybe if we are lucky one of them will break out but basically I'd say cross-platform or rather cross-service being a better term is going to be a no-go for most due to hassles of setting up external servers and contract terms, etc...

There's still alot of road before streaming substitutes everything,and even then i don't think it will substitute classic console hardware.

Exclusives will remain exclusives just like every streaming service has exclusives(Netflix,HBO GO etc).Online Crossplay for every third party game is 90% happening.

You should probably be extending that point from the profile it came from :lol:

It's literally impossible for game streaming to match the user experience of a console in your living room, unless physicists unlock the power of quantum entanglement or something to transmit your input to and from the streaming service hub faster than our current form of internet infrastructure ever could. That's the critical difference between playing games and watching Netflix, no matter how badly game company executives want to adopt the Netflix model.

And what about people who live in less-developed areas without fast internet? Ownership rights? How many players will be affected by a brownout or technical mishap at one hub? What about the loyal minority of people who still buy and collect physical copies of games, most notably these days on the Nintendo Switch?

Good luck to the first company to go all-in on streaming, because you can bet they'll face a vocal backlash like Microsoft's unveiling of the Xbox One.

It's literally impossible for game streaming to match the user experience of a console in your living room, unless physicists unlock the power of quantum entanglement or something to transmit your input to and from the streaming service hub faster than our current form of internet infrastructure ever could. That's the critical difference between playing games and watching Netflix, no matter how badly game company executives want to adopt the Netflix model.

And what about people who live in less-developed areas without fast internet? Ownership rights? How many players will be affected by a brownout or technical mishap at one hub? What about the loyal minority of people who still buy and collect physical copies of games, most notably these days on the Nintendo Switch?

Good luck to the first company to go all-in on streaming, because you can bet they'll face a vocal backlash like Microsoft's unveiling of the Xbox One.

It's not impossible,most people who play videogames are casuals(that's not a negative by the way),they don't care about constant 30 FPS and no lag with constant 1080p resolution,the Google Streaming Project works very well right now and in a few years i could see it being open to the public,the big problem is putting this service across countries and it's difficult because you need great internet everywhere,i don't think Sony and Microsoft will go all in on streaming because they know some countries they support with consoles don't have great internet.For Sony it's even more difficult because they have a strong presence in so many countries that don't have great internet like the US and UK.

Back