Can DiRT Rally 2.0 Finally Dethrone Richard Burns Rally?

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evolution already did.

For me, one key element has been missing in rally games since RBR – fear.
Uh, Dirt 4 offered this in spades, because you aren't driving the exact same stages over and over and over again, and throughout the career mode you encounter challenging weather conditions that aren't just fixed to one setting for a particular locale. No other rally game I've played can compare -- maybe V-Rally 4 could, since it also shakes up the stages you drive, and doesn't appear to share Codemasters' habit of serving up a morsel and trying to pass it off as a four-course meal.

This article has me even more excited than I already was. What made the first Dirt Rally so good was the challenge and super realistic and unforgiving handling physics. I honestly don’t think I ever won a stage in DR1, and I was quite bad at being consistent, but it was too fun trying to drive well that I forgot how bad I was. To be fair, I think I’d do better with a wheel setup. I’m getting older and my hands don’t work with a controller as well as they used to.

Sounds backwards, sure, you want to win in games, but sometimes realism is more exciting. I’d never be able to drive a real rally car well, after all. :lol:

This article has me even more excited than I already was. What made the first Dirt Rally so good was the challenge and super realistic and unforgiving handling physics. I honestly don’t think I ever won a stage in DR1, and I was quite bad at being consistent, but it was too fun trying to drive well that I forgot how bad I was. To be fair, I think I’d do better with a wheel setup. I’m getting older and my hands don’t work with a controller as well as they used to.

Sounds backwards, sure, you want to win in games, but sometimes realism is more exciting. I’d never be able to drive a real rally car well, after all. :lol:

I am completely with you on that. I always set the AI in games to a level where I have a challenge. In DR even the lowest provide a strong challenge. But I don't really care. It makes it even sweeter when you become 3rd or something.

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evolution already did.

Uh, Dirt 4 offered this in spades, because you aren't driving the exact same stages over and over and over again, and throughout the career mode you encounter challenging weather conditions that aren't just fixed to one setting for a particular locale. No other rally game I've played can compare -- maybe V-Rally 4 could, since it also shakes up the stages you drive, and doesn't appear to share Codemasters' habit of serving up a morsel and trying to pass it off as a four-course meal.

I don't think D4 had any fear factor at all for me. I see where you're coming from but the stages were too basic and easy to be feared. Sometimes the stages that you fear the most are the ones you know the best. Chirdonhead on RBR still one of the most fearsome rally sim stages for me. Could visualize it turn for turn in my head but 6th gear flat out down a bumpy forest road is fearful regardless of whether you know what to expect at the end of it.

I'm sure it's the same in real life, Ouninpohja, Col du Turini, Vargasen etc are all feared and loved in equal quantity in real life.

Just my opinion of course, I feel Dirt Rally 1 had already got the beating of RBR personally.

Hopefully ffb on consoles is fine. I think ffb plays a huge role in "physics" of a driving game and im afraid pc version of the game with direct drive base and sparco rim is not a point of reference for most console players. Even with t-gt i have, i think the ffb is so very different from pc.

And whats with a rally game without Monte Carlo and Neste Rally Finland is like a racing game without Silverstone and Spa. Oh but we have that already..:lol:

Opinion, FFB was very well adjustable in DR (T300rs + PS4) so i thrust that 2.0 does the same. Hopefully there is good description in menus of all sliders in ffb.

I've won a rally in DR, but just the one in over 100 rallies completed. The joy of competing is enough for me and I still play DR to this day. I'm really looking forward to 2.0. On the basis of what I have read and watched so far I may preorder. I have the following Friday off work, it will be DR 2.0 day. I cant wait!

Opinion, FFB was very well adjustable in DR (T300rs + PS4) so i thrust that 2.0 does the same. Hopefully there is good description in menus of all sliders in ffb.

Agreed. CodeMaster games (at least Dirt Rally and F1 series) have a ton of wheel adjustments. First time I played Dirt Rally on my PS4 with my G29, the wheel felt absolutely dead. After I used some settings I found on YouTube, it made a world of a difference.
Might take some time, but I think you’ll be able to find your ideal FFB.

You're entitled to your viewpoint between RBR vs SLRE, but my response to the article was more in protest of the idea that there hasn't even been any attempt at a rally sim since RBR except for Dirt Rally:
There’s certainly not been a lack of rally games over the years. But, despite a plethora of rally titles, only one has made a serious attempt at taking [Richard Burns Rally] on: DiRT Rally.

You're entitled to your viewpoint between RBR vs SLRE, but my response to the article was more in protest of the idea that there hasn't even been any attempt at a rally sim since RBR except for Dirt Rally:

SLRE was only let down by sub par sound and visuals. Everything else was fantastic.
Exactly.

SLRE is the benchmark I will be using when I fire up DR2 at midnight.

https://simracer.uno/blog/analisis-cual-juego-de-rally-tiene-mas-contenido-marketing-vs-realidad
screenshot-from-2019-02-19-15-05-59-png.800738

LOL

And Im not saying it's the successor of RBR because of that (I think Dirt Rally and SLRE share that tittle). But every time there is a discussion about the best rally games and someone points SLRE as such, I think it's very unfair that someone says "LoL hOw A mIlEsToNe GaMe CaN bE GoOd xddd".

SLRE has plenty of objective and arguable attributes to name as one of the best rally games ever made or one of the most revolutionary. Just like Dirt Rally.

https://simracer.uno/blog/analisis-cual-juego-de-rally-tiene-mas-contenido-marketing-vs-realidad
screenshot-from-2019-02-19-15-05-59-png.800738

LOL

And Im not saying it's the successor of RBR because of that (I think Dirt Rally and SLRE share that tittle). But every time there is a discussion about the best rally games and someone points SLRE as such, I think it's very unfair that someone says "LoL hOw A mIlEsToNe GaMe CaN bE GoOd xddd".

SLRE has plenty of objective and arguable attributes to name as one of the best rally games ever made or one of the most revolutionary. Just like Dirt Rally.

Well said 👍

Is RBR not just a hype people get sucked into? I played RBR but was never that interested because Rally is not my thing. If RBR had rallycross I'd still be playing it probably.

I know that RBR is a very a realistic rally sim but opinions still vary.

Is RBR not just a hype people get sucked into?

Oh yes. That's what happen when an extremely advanced game for it's time doesn't get a sucessor for more than 10 years (IMO DR and SLRE are better sims overall). Will happen the same to DR (specially) and SLRE if we dont get a proper rally sim in the next years.

Also, people doesn't specify when they talk about RBR if they are doing it about the mods.

Oh yes. That's what happen when an extremely advanced game for it's time doesn't get a sucessor for more than 10 years (IMO DR and SLRE are better sims overall). Will happen the same to DR (specially) and SLRE if we dont get a proper rally sim in the next years.

Also, people doesn't specify when they talk about RBR if they are doing it about the mods.

When you read about RBR, it's obviously about modded RBR. There is hardly anybody that would play vanillia game to this date. After all, if you want to compete online you need at least physics upgrade. And RBR was not onlyadvanced for it's time, it's advanced for this time too. Physics are getting constantly updated to keep up (new major version is in the works as of now).
That's the whole point why DR will never be able to "dethrone" it. People run out of content soon and then it gets forgotten. With mods, supply is unlimited. Same thing with every legendary sim (rF, AC, etc etc).

And RBR wins in every single category from those lists. More than 2000km of tracks, 200+ stages and 200+ cars (original + NGP combined).

Last edited:
When you read about RBR, it's obviously about modded RBR. There is hardly anybody that would play vanillia game to this date. After all, if you want to compete online you need at least physics upgrade. And RBR was not onlyadvanced for it's time, it's advanced for this time too. Physics are getting constantly updated to keep up (new major version is in the works as of now).
That's the whole point why DR will never be able to "dethrone" it. People run out of content soon and then it gets forgotten. With mods, supply is unlimited. Same thing with every legendary sim (rF, AC, etc etc).

And RBR wins in every single category from those lists. More than 2000km of tracks, 200+ stages and 200+ cars (original + NGP combined).

Not really. Many people talk of the original RBR as the best sim ever. That kind of nostalgia will happen with DR too (heck, it already happened with D4).

Then and in addition, we have the confusion when people does not specify what RBR are they talking about.

And, DR has mods too, ¿Doesn't it? ¿Or it has some kind of limitation?

SLRE can be a good game.... but running at 30Fps on consoles.....is a negative point for me, more in a rally game that need fast response and reactions,any game that want to be called "sim" nowadays in my opinion has to offer at least 60 FPS.

SLRE on PC version runs at 60FPS,still don't understand why millestone didn't optimese and aimed 60FPS in console versions.

At least DR1,D4 and DR2.0 runs at 60FPS even on base consoles

And yes,RBR was a great sim in his day's and now it still is thanks to the mod community that imprpved the game quite a bit.

And yes,RBR was a great sim in his day's and now it still is thanks to the mod community that imprpved the game quite a bit.

It is so rough around the edges compared to any modern Rally sim. I think a lot of the love is from nostalgia too. I liked DR 1 better than it, even with the floaty cars and if DR2.0 can get it's ffb sorted, I don't think there will be any dispute over who is the current king.

Back