Microsoft Uses Forza Horizon 4 in xCloud Game Streaming Demo

If there can be a proper hookup of an Xbox One controller to my iPhone, color me interested. I travel for business quite a lot and my company laptop - while not bad overall - can't handle Forza games, it would be great to use it (I don't have a wheel, just plain controller player unfortunately).

Bit late to the party aren’t they?

Shadow doesn't sound like the ideal solution quite yet, though.

To be honest, I'd rather an official first party approach. Not that I foresee myself doing a ton of cloud gaming in the future, since most games I play are sensitive to input lag as is, but the strength here is the servers. Microsoft has a sizeable advantage there (which is also why this Google gaming news might be a big deal).

Shadow doesn't sound like the ideal solution quite yet, though.

To be honest, I'd rather an official first party approach. Not that I foresee myself doing a ton of cloud gaming in the future, since most games I play are sensitive to input lag as is, but the strength here is the servers. Microsoft has a sizeable advantage there (which is also why this Google gaming news might be a big deal).

Personally owning/subscribing the shadow it’s generally there. There’s a whole difference between shadow and Microsoft anyways, Microsoft wouldn’t bother catering towards PC games on a cloud whilst Shadow have hit it right there. There’s little to no latency/input lag at all. No doubt Microsoft have the advantage but didn’t sony? There streaming service is horrendous to say the least.

Personally owning/subscribing the shadow it’s generally there. There’s a whole difference between shadow and Microsoft anyways, Microsoft wouldn’t bother catering towards PC games on a cloud whilst Shadow have hit it right there. There’s little to no latency/input lag at all. No doubt Microsoft have the advantage but didn’t sony? There streaming service is horrendous to say the least.

Sony bought a streaming company (Gaikai) whose tech they used for PS Now, but they never had any sort of infrastructure advantage, because Sony doesn't do cloud computing services at all.

The only three companies who really do right now, are Google, Microsoft and Amazon, because they use their datacentres for a lot more than just game streaming.

but they never had any sort of infrastructure advantage, because Sony doesn't do cloud computing services at all.

To be fair, though, no one would've been better than Sony at doing what Sony did. I mean, the fact that this was how they had to do it is entirely Sony's fault - going with such an esoteric processor for the PS3 that made it impossible to emulate efficiently enough* on x86 - but the fact remains that this kind of hardware just doesn't exist anywhere else. You're always going to have trouble building something like this from scratch regardless of who you are.

*Not saying you can't emulate Cell on x86, that's been done, but apparently it's better to custom-build PS3 servers than x86 servers that emulate PS3s. It's hard work, after all.

It will all go cloud gaming. The PS6 could well be a glorified Raspberry Pi which connects to a cloud service :)

Last edited:
Back