PlayStation 5 to Support Cross-Generation Play With PlayStation 4

Yeah, everybody is talking about GT7, but i really think GT Sport on PS5 is a thing now.

I very much agree. With the rumours that there will be a GT launch title on the PS5, I was kind of thinking in terms of them releasing GT7 where PD would obviously be already creating assets (cars and tracks) where GT Sport is getting some of those assets in a "spoon fed" way. But now that I've read that article it would appear that GT Sport will be the launch title.

nah GTSport must run at 4K120FPS. :)

If you're talking about VR then yes I agree, but for standard gaming 60 FPS is good. Which leads me on to hoping that GTS on PS5 will be able to support the whole game in VR.

Well that’s going to be easy now that Sony have stopped making consoles with unique architecture and are now using PC equivalent components. The PS 2&3 were radically different to each other making backwards compatibility either impossible or very difficult.

They should open the backwards compatibility all the way back to the PS1. If it is a Sony console Sony authorized software should be playable.
Not really possible as the way the earlier machines were built is very different, they require re-engineering and emulation. You can access old stuff on PS now but it’s not the same as just being able to put an old PS1 game in the drive and away you go. I really wish I had an original PS3 that was backwards compatible, I think it may have had most of a PS1 in it to be able to play the older games.

They should open the backwards compatibility all the way back to the PS1. If it is a Sony console Sony authorized software should be playable.

That ship has already sailed - If you have a PC or Mac then you can already play PS1 games, and to a certain extent PS2 & PS3 games anyway.

However I doubt Sony will be willing to erode the cash they get from Playstation Now by allowing the owners of the original game discs to play them on the new console, despite it being perfectly feasible to do so, at least in the PS1 and PS2's case.

I would be great if they did and it is do-able, it's just it makes little financial sense as has been said. They might get extra consoles sales from full BC but it probably wouldn't be as large as one would expect, younger gamers may not even care about BC. Microsoft did it though, so credit to them.

As for cross generation play it's quite a good (if not unexpected) idea because it gives a well established online player base from the get go. I remember in the early PS3 days online took a while to get going with the numbers.

Would be great if the wheels are compatible too...
I mean, there's no good reason for Sony to not let the old wheels, T500 included, be compatible... Besides greed.

Last edited:
This is a motivator for me to pick up a PS5 sooner rather than later, if the PS5 can simply take my PS4's place and I could pass the PS4 on to a friend so we could play PS4 games together. 👍

That's what I was thinking. This makes things so much easier, especially after the PS4 required me to keep my PS3 if I wanted to play any games from that era.

I mean, I still won't be picking up a PS5 until there's an exclusive that demands my attention, just like the PS4. But this helps, and makes it even less likely that I grab whatever MS has cooking up first next gen.

That's what I was thinking. This makes things so much easier, especially after the PS4 required me to keep my PS3 if I wanted to play any games from that era.

I mean, I still won't be picking up a PS5 until there's an exclusive that demands my attention, just like the PS4. But this helps, and makes it even less likely that I grab whatever MS has cooking up first next gen.

My motivation for the PS5 is VR. Currently the PS4 Pro is hobbled by Sony in that regard. There are a load of titles that can, and probably already are running fully in VR on the Pro - GTS for example, but Sony wont allow them to be released in VR because they don't work well or at all on the standard or slim PS4.

The PS5 should remove that artificial and IMO rather shortsighted limitation.

Not really possible as the way the earlier machines were built is very different, they require re-engineering and emulation. You can access old stuff on PS now but it’s not the same as just being able to put an old PS1 game in the drive and away you go. I really wish I had an original PS3 that was backwards compatible, I think it may have had most of a PS1 in it to be able to play the older games.
Very possible for PS1 and PS2. They have been single chip designs since before the launch of the PS3. The PS3 would be a problem to overcome due to its complexity.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...th-next-sony-console-says-playstation-rd-head

Speaking with CNET, Sony Global Head of R&D for PlayStation Dominic Mallinson talked about the future PlayStation VR, but also laid out plans for Sony's current headset. It will be compatible with the next PlayStation, which means players won't have to buy a new headset when the console.

In fact, there won't be a new headset for a good while, including during the console's launch. "There's no reason for us to coincide it with a new console," Mallinson told CNET. "From the point of view of the consumer, to be bombarded with many, many things – oh, you have to buy this, you have to buy that – is a message that we don't want to send. In some ways, it's good to have a little breathing space between those things."

I really wish I had an original PS3 that was backwards compatible, I think it may have had most of a PS1 in it to be able to play the older games.
You don't need a launch PS3 for PS1 compatibility, they are all capable of that. I have a 3rd gen version that plays PS1 games just fine.

By 3rd gen, do you mean the Super Slim one?

To my understanding the 1st gen is the launch editions, the 2nd is the similar looking but mechanically downgraded ones, the 3rd is the "normal" slim and the super slim is the 4th gen.

Good, that means GT Sport can keep on running even with the PS5 and a new GT game out. The decision to use a more conventional PC architecture for the PS4's CPU has been paying dividends, and it's just gonna keep paying even more.

@Skygrasper550
The best part about GTS is the multiplayer imo and as history has shown with GT5 and GT6 Sony is rather quick in stopping the servers after the next installment got released. Hopefully this will bw different with GTS, but I won't expect much for now.

Back