The Volkswagen ID.R Demolishes Goodwood Record With 39.9 Second Climb

I didn't think this was the official record, though, as it didn't happen in the timed shootout on Sunday; it was in the qualifying runs. Sunday's weather started wet, and the although the course was drying, it was still damp under the trees.

It did but it's not the official record just yet. Next year, as long as it doesn't rain, will be the year it breaks tye record.

I didn't think this was the official record, though, as it didn't happen in the timed shootout on Sunday; it was in the qualifying runs. Sunday's weather started wet, and the although the course was drying, it was still damp under the trees.
It did but it's not the official record just yet. Next year, as long as it doesn't rain, will be the year it breaks tye record.
I can confirm - because I was working for Goodwood RRC, in the Goodwood House (and I shot this photo from the office window before the prize-giving) - that Goodwood classes it as the official course record.

It makes sense to do so, because there's no difference whatsoever between qualifying and the race in a hill climb, whereas qualifying and the race on circuits have different conditions. It's not like you get a clearer run, or a tow from a team-mate on the fast straight during hill climb qualifying, and you're not running one-lap wonder hypersoft tyres but managing hard ones in the race. A hill climb session is the same whatever you call it.

However, there was much discussion about it on the Sunday even before the timed shootout started, and I believe the Duke of Richmond himself handed the decision down. It would, in theory, have been possible for the IDR to have the record but not win the event.

I can confirm - because I was working for Goodwood RRC, in the Goodwood House (and I shot this photo from the office window before the prize-giving) - that Goodwood classes it as the official course record.

It makes sense to do so, because there's no difference whatsoever between qualifying and the race in a hill climb, whereas qualifying and the race on circuits have different conditions. It's not like you get a clearer run, or a tow from a team-mate on the fast straight during hill climb qualifying, and you're not running one-lap wonder hypersoft tyres but managing hard ones in the race. A hill climb session is the same whatever you call it.

However, there was much discussion about it on the Sunday even before the timed shootout started, and I believe the Duke of Richmond himself handed the decision down. It would, in theory, have been possible for the IDR to have the record but not win the event.

Good deal. Then Congrats to VW and their Driver for breaking that record!

So will modern F1 & hillclimb cars now be allowed to go for a time ?

The reason the record was unbroken for so long is that they stopped timing modern F1 cars because it was getting too competitive and the cars too fast - If I recall the point was made by Martin Whitmarsh immediately after Heidfeld's run.

So the record stood until this car was allowed to make a run.

So will modern F1 & hillclimb cars now be allowed to go for a time ?

The reason the record was unbroken for so long is that they stopped timing modern F1 cars because it was getting too competitive and the cars too fast - If I recall the point was made by Martin Whitmarsh immediately after Heidfeld's run.

So the record stood until this car was allowed to make a run.
Just imagine the record if a f22 was allow to compete :lol:

That run is insane, it looks like the footage has been sped up in places because it's accelerating with such force out of the corners.

Also can we start making all electric cars sound like that does? It would have to be artificial but it would make the driving experience even better and pedestrians might actually start to hear you coming for a change.

Also can we start making all electric cars sound like that does? It would have to be artificial but it would make the driving experience even better and pedestrians might actually start to hear you coming for a change.

It actually became mandatory for Electric Vehicles sold in the EU to emit a sound this month. There's no requirement on what the sound should be so we could end up with a orchestra of noises in slow moving traffic. :P

It actually became mandatory for Electric Vehicles sold in the EU to emit a sound this month. There's no requirement on what the sound should be so we could end up with a orchestra of noises in slow moving traffic. :P

It's a shame that it's only a requirement under 12mph though. When our Ioniq is in electric mode we're often going well over 12mph and we've had people step out in front of us as they haven't heard it. The reversing sound the Ioniq makes is definitely audible from outside though so at least there's that. I just wish they all sounded like the I-Pace or ID.R does!

I've been completely nonplussed about this thing. Until I watched that video for context. Holy wow.

Need F2004, Merc W10 and 919 EVO to have a go next. If this thing is already faster than the old F1 record, safety shouldn't be a reason to ban F1 cars anymore.

Last edited:
Need F2004, Merc W10 and 919 EVO to have a go next. If this thing i already faster than the old F1 record safety shouldn't be a reason to ban F1 cars anymore.

Indeed. It is like this car is only allowed as more of a publicity thing. It's easy to beat the competition when there is no competition.

Now, that critisism being said. I still find it awesome that the IDR did well and is fast. It is pretty neat.

I mean sure you could allow other faster cars, but realistically i don't see how it matters. Goodwood is someones driveway. 40 seconds of tight road surrounded by haybales. Does the overall record really matter? :lol:

Back