WipEout Omega Collection is Now Free for PlayStation Plus Subscribers

Had it for a while, wish I had VR for that sweet cockpit view.

For those that aren't aware, if you have any nostalgia for Wipeout or F-Zero, you really need to get this game.

MaxAttack's flat-out speed review:

Gameplay 9/10 - excels at what it is, great sense of speed and a nice variation of modes to play. Online is quick and easy to jump into, nice sense of progression to the single player campaign

Graphics 10/10 - one of the best brush up jobs you'll see, really colourful, nice environments, the designs of the ships have always been cool, and Zone mode will make you question whether those mushrooms you found were actually safe to eat

Sound 7/10 - the soundtrack fits and the SFX are bang on but you'll get annoyed with the voiceovers. ROCKETS! CANNON! LEECH BEAM!

Overall 8/10 - I mean it's an arcade racer that will only deliver so much but it has a unique and endearing style to the whole game and is a good blast if you're a bit bored of more sim-racey things like braking.

It's free though so grab it, ya goon.

This game is a VR masterpiece. If you own the VR headset and you don't have this something is very wrong. It puts you in the cockpit of a Wipeout ship for crying out loud. What else would you need? Food? Liquid? Sleep?

Just played it for the first time last night. First time player, it's not easy! But boy is it smooth & pretty :) I can see myself losing hours to this game.

I had no idea this game isn't clunky as an unwieldy toolbox full of rocks, like the older WipEout games. :) Never enjoyed a WipEout game half as much as this. Some of the tracks are a delightful snarl of twists, too, compared to most tracks in most anti-gravity racing games. 👍

Better with the weapons disabled, though, because they don't balance well with the racing.

I’ve always been a fan of the Wipeout series. The last encounter was coincidentally via HD/Fury on PS3, and boy was it fun (and a visual treat too).

Zone Mode was somewhat tense, especially when you started hitting the higher speed levels. Think the highest I achieved was just below Zen before it got too wild. :boggled:

Zone Mode was somewhat tense, especially when you started hitting the higher speed levels. Think the highest I achieved was just below Zen before it got too wild. :boggled:
My first time in that was so weird. I had no clue what it was about and sat there for nine minutes wondering to myself, "uh...what exactly am I doing here?" I only realized in the last minute that it was survival, so I could punch out after reaching the elite pass score. :)

It would be nicer if it didn't take so very long to ramp up the speed.

I remember I got HD+Fury for free as well back in PS3 because of the PSN Apocalyps3. Played about 5 races before deciding that I suck at racing anything that doesn't touch the ground :lol: Still gonna download this because a) it's free and b) it's still a gorgeous game to look at.

I remember I got HD+Fury for free as well back in PS3 because of the PSN Apocalyps3. Played about 5 races before deciding that I suck at racing anything that doesn't touch the ground :lol: Still gonna download this because a) it's free and b) it's still a gorgeous game to look at.

No you don't suck at this game - or what I'm really trying to put across here is that anybody who's only ever done 5 races will suck big time at this game - you are not alone. In fact now is a really good time to get into it because online you'll be up against a whole bunch of people who have only done 5 races.

This really is a "git gud" game.

I am currently downloading it. Back in the ps1, ps2 hay day I played equal parts GT, Wipeout and Jet Moto. Could probably toss Colony Wars into that mix as well.
I am looking forward to playing.

This game is so awesome. I played it when it came out on Ps3. Then years later I reinstalled it and played for months. The on Ps4 and on my super awsome tv, I downloaded it and my god, this game is so fantastic.

No you don't suck at this game - or what I'm really trying to put across here is that anybody who's only ever done 5 races will suck big time at this game - you are not alone. In fact now is a really good time to get into it because online you'll be up against a whole bunch of people who have only done 5 races.

This really is a "git gud" game.

Yeah I appreciate it's a proper old skool game where there's no hand holding whatsoever. You're either get good or get left in the dust. But at my age I don't really have the reflex or motivation to learn a whole new physics system from scratch again. I'll stick to racing cars with tyres :P

Having said that, I played the 2048 portion and was surprised that I was able to win a few races in speed class C & D. Class A is a bit tricky and I'm hopeless with A+ :lol: This is with pilot assist active as well. I just can't tell which corners you can take flat out, which you need to lift, which can be taken with just normal steering and which needs an airbrake. Not to mention getting bombarded with missiles left right centre and trying not to fall off the track. Hectic as hell, but good fun nonetheless. Detonator mode is a fun stress relief too.

I have 2 questions though, I've seen the AI use an attack that causes a rippling effect across the whole track but I've never picked up a weapon that does that. What is this attack and how can I get it? Secondly, how do you use the digital artbook? I press enter and it just sits there at the title screen for 5 minutes, no button presses work :confused:

...But at my age I don't really have the reflex or motivation to learn a whole new physics system from scratch again

I get what you mean, but once you've learnt the tracks Wipeout is less about reflexes and more about preemption and proactive split second decision making. That said my love of Wipeout comes from the fact that I was there at the beginning in 1995 when it was something unique, incredibly special and as hard as nails. With that in mind I can totally see where people coming to series today see it as just another generic futuristic arcade racer, which is fair.

To be honest at my age as well, 50, I have problems approaching new genres of gaming, especially those with complex crafting and load-out options.

I just can't tell which corners you can take flat out, which you need to lift, which can be taken with just normal steering and which needs an airbrake

Never lift unless you can't avoid it. Lifting causes the engines to spool down and they take time to spool back up again. All corners can be taken without lifting by using judicious application of the airbrakes.

Airbrakes are complimentary to, and used in conjunction with the steering. They are predominantly to fine tune your ship and not for slowing, although that is an effect of them. Unless you're a total Jedi at this game, which I'm not, then you'll find airbrakes are useful on the majority of corners, and also when you need to straighten up your ship on the straights. Also bear in mind that they are progressive and not simply on/off switches. Less is often more when it comes to airbrakes.

Not to mention getting bombarded with missiles left right centre

Shields, mines and bombs are good tactics to use with missiles, also I've found that taking a really tight line through a corner can get a missile of your tail.

With dumb fire weapons, rockets, plasma, cannons, just make sure you change your course, then they should miss you.

I've seen the AI use an attack that causes a rippling effect across the whole track but I've never picked up a weapon that does that

That's a quake. it's one of the lesser picked up weapons which probably explains why you haven't had it yet. It will hit every ship that's within a certain distance. If you have a turbo boost and time it right you can surf the edge of a quake and take no damage.

My personal opinion of the quake is that it really shouldn't be in the game as I find it an immersion breaker. Everything in Wipeout is kind of believable in that it could possibly exist, except this weapon. I've hated it since it was introduced in 2097.

Secondly, how do you use the digital artbook? I press enter and it just sits there at the title screen for 5 minutes, no button presses work :confused:

No idea, I've never launched it, sorry.

Oh and one last thing - learn to barrel roll when jumping, a quick L-R-L or R-L-R on the stick or pad, it'll give you a boost on landing but sap some energy. Good places to practice this are large jumps, although there are plenty of small jumps that with good timing you can pull it off.

...once you've learnt the tracks Wipeout is less about reflexes and more about preemption and proactive split second decision making.
It isn't even so much about trying to hold on to a track that's trying to buck you off -- F-ZERO X/GX -- or avoiding deadly hazards at a breakneck speed -- FAST Racing Neo/RMX -- as much as it's about the simple practice of establishing a line, and holding to it when the speed ramps up. When weapons aren't involved, it is "purer" than those other games in this respect. :)

When weapons are involved, then I'd rather be playing any of the other games.

Never lift unless you can't avoid it. Lifting causes the engines to spool down and they take time to spool back up again. All corners can be taken without lifting by using judicious application of the airbrakes.
Zone mode is evidence of this being the case. 👍

By the time you're up over mach 1.0, twistier tracks are like a rallycross circuit, flat-out drifting around hairpins and rocketing over humps and ramps without rest. Great stuff.

I get what you mean, but once you've learnt the tracks Wipeout is less about reflexes and more about preemption and proactive split second decision making. That said my love of Wipeout comes from the fact that I was there at the beginning in 1995 when it was something unique, incredibly special and as hard as nails. With that in mind I can totally see where people coming to series today see it as just another generic futuristic arcade racer, which is fair.

To be honest at my age as well, 50, I have problems approaching new genres of gaming, especially those with complex crafting and load-out options.

Airbrakes are complimentary to, and used in conjunction with the steering. They are predominantly to fine tune your ship and not for slowing, although that is an effect of them. Unless you're a total Jedi at this game, which I'm not, then you'll find airbrakes are useful on the majority of corners, and also when you need to straighten up your ship on the straights. Also bear in mind that they are progressive and not simply on/off switches. Less is often more when it comes to airbrakes.

Shields, mines and bombs are good tactics to use with missiles, also I've found that taking a really tight line through a corner can get a missile of your tail.

With dumb fire weapons, rockets, plasma, cannons, just make sure you change your course, then they should miss you.

That's a quake. it's one of the lesser picked up weapons which probably explains why you haven't had it yet. It will hit every ship that's within a certain distance. If you have a turbo boost and time it right you can surf the edge of a quake and take no damage.

My personal opinion of the quake is that it really shouldn't be in the game as I find it an immersion breaker. Everything in Wipeout is kind of believable in that it could possibly exist, except this weapon. I've hated it since it was introduced in 2097.

No idea, I've never launched it, sorry.

Oh and one last thing - learn to barrel roll when jumping, a quick L-R-L or R-L-R on the stick or pad, it'll give you a boost on landing but sap some energy. Good places to practice this are large jumps, although there are plenty of small jumps that with good timing you can pull it off.

Thanks for the super detailed write up 👍 I'll definitely be putting some of those tips into good use.

I just found that d-pad steering works better for me than analog in this game. Currently my tactic is:
Corners <90 degree - steering only
Corners 90-180 degree - tap steering then if not enough airbrake
Corners >180 degree - airbrake

You're right in that track familiarisation is really key in this game. More so than any other game because of the 3D nature of the tracks and all the hidden pitfalls. Also weapon and boost pad locations.

I discovered the barrel roll by accident when trying to correct my line mid jump. Usually I'm way too busy dealing with other things to remember doing it every jump though :P

One thing I wish is to shoot weapons backwards. Would help if you're in the lead since currently there's not really much you can do if you pick an offensive weapon while in 1st place except to absorb for energy.

@LeGeNd-1

You can on some, can't remember if you hold the d-pad down or you flip your ship 180° then fire.

Rockets, homing missiles, machine gun & quake.

Can't remember correctly if you could throw mines in front of you as well by pushing up on the d-pad while you launch them.

Haven't played the game in 10-15 year's so I could very well be mistaken.

Last edited:
@LeGeNd-1

You can on some, can't remember if you hold the d-pad down or you flip your ship 180° then fire.

Rockets, homing missiles, machine gun & quake.

Can't remember correctly if you could throw mines in front of you as well by pushing up on the d-pad while you launch them.

Haven't played the game in 10-15 year's so I could very well be mistaken.

Hmm gonna try this next time I play. I know about the flipping trick but that would make you lose time I assume. Reason I ask is because back when I used to play Blur (awesome game, desperately need a remake) backwards shooting is one of my USPs :P

Had a really tight online race today, only just managed to grab the lead in the second from last corner and win due to 2 very timely turbo pickups.

This game is fantastic when you've got good matched opponents.

I blanked part of the sound at the start due to a copyright claim.

Secondly, how do you use the digital artbook? I press enter and it just sits there at the title screen for 5 minutes, no button presses work :confused:
I know that this is a late reply, but press X at the title screen to get the artbook started, L1 and R1 to scroll through pages and triangle to access the 'Chapter Menu' screen.

Also adding myself to the list of users who have been having a blast with the Omega Collection this month.

Back