3D Modelling, Post your 3D models! (Cars, Planes, People, Landscapes etc!)

Canada
Canada
TheDrummingKING
Hi all. Recently I have been getting into 3D modelling. I took a course in school that got me started. After roughly figuring out how to use the program (google sketchup) I wanted to start making cars. At first I tried and tried again but was unable to model anything correctly, but after hours and hours of practice, I was finally able to create my first car (will get pic later).

Now after almost mastering the program I've started work on creating an Audi R8. Here is what I fave done so far:

Blueprints for reference:
blueprints.jpg

Blueprints set up for modelling:
bpsetup.jpg

The hood modelled:
hoodmodel.jpg

The Front bumber added on:
hoodfrontbumper.jpg

Now the grill:
hoodfrontgrill.jpg

Now the headlight:
allrough.jpg

Now everything (done up to that point) smoothed:
allsmooth.jpg

I am working on finishing up the front ATM and will upload pics when done.

Last edited:
Very nice, I tried to make a crude model of my house for the beta of the 3D view in Google Earth using sketchup once, I quit after about 20 minutes trying to make a roof :lol:

What model was your first car?

From,
Chris.

Very nice, I tried to make a crude model of my house for the beta of the 3D view in Google Earth using sketchup once, I quit after about 20 minutes trying to make a roof :lol:

What model was your first car?

From,
Chris.

This is the first car I made (fictional, didn't use blueprints):
firstcar.jpg

The back:
carback.jpg

Showing the mesh of all the polygons:
carmesh.jpg

Also, this car was made before I got the plug-in called Subdivide&Smooth, so, I had to make every line myself, in total the car was 64271 polygons.

That R8 looks pretty good so far. Could use a few more polygons behind the fenders though, to make them smoother ;)
I actually used to model cars a lot, though now I tend to just make my own fictional planes and missiles lol...
I use an old program called Zmodeler 1.07, which is from when I made cars for Need For Speed: High Stakes about 5 years or so ago. Can see much of my crap on my DeviantArt page in my sig :P

Last edited:
That R8 Is mint It's like photo shop on steroids, In fact just think what you can achieve.
Looks beyond me though.
Keep up your skill I'll be watching this thread closely.

Great job, my stuff completely sucks compared to this.
I won't post my car stuff here, because it looks horrible in comparison, but here's something else I've done (low resolution because the rendering software is a freeware solution):

Might make some renderings from other models too.

EDIT: By the way, are you using the free SketchUp version or Pro?

Very nicely done. It must take some real interpolation to match the contours from just the plan and elevations. I've done quite a bit of SketchUp work myself - enough to know that what you're doing is tough.

That R8 looks pretty good so far. Could use a few more polygons behind the fenders though, to make them smoother ;)
I actually used to model cars a lot, though now I tend to just make my own fictional planes and missiles lol...
I use an old program called Zmodeler 1.07, which is from when I made cars for Need For Speed: High Stakes about 5 years or so ago. Can see much of my crap on my DeviantArt page in my sig :P
Thanks! Which part do you mean exactly? Also I tried to look at your stuff, but couldn't figure out the wesite. :lol:
That R8 Is mint It's like photo shop on steroids, In fact just think what you can achieve.
Looks beyond me though.
Keep up your skill I'll be watching this thread closely.
Thanks!
Great job, my stuff completely sucks compared to this.
I won't post my car stuff here, because it looks horrible in comparison, but here's something else I've done (low resolution because the rendering software is a freeware solution):

Might make some renderings from other models too.

EDIT: By the way, are you using the free SketchUp version or Pro?
What rendering program do you use? For rendering my sketcup models I use Kerkythea (free). Also I use the free version of sketchup with a few extra plug-ins, the most useful of which is subdivide and smooth, it's what makes the rough model go from that to smooth. I think you should post some of your work on cars, I might be able to help alittle with any problems you're having.
Very nicely done. It must take some real interpolation to match the contours from just the plan and elevations. I've done quite a bit of SketchUp work myself - enough to know that what you're doing is tough.
Thanks! Yeah it does take a bit of time to figure out just how to do the work from blueprints, I recommed watching a bunch of tutorials from youtube (thats what I did). It helps a lot. :dopey:
Looks like a fun program. I might have to try this out sometime.
It is great fun, especially once you get down some basic knowledge and are able to start with what I do!

What rendering program do you use? For rendering my sketcup models I use Kerkythea (free). Also I use the free version of sketchup with a few extra plug-ins, the most useful of which is subdivide and smooth, it's what makes the rough model go from that to smooth. I think you should post some of your work on cars, I might be able to help alittle with any problems you're having.
IDX Renditioner Express Free: http://www.idx-design.com/IDX/IDXRe...IDXRenditionerExpress/tabid/1011/Default.aspx
It's really easy to use, but the free version only allowes 640x480 (the pics above are bigger thanks to Photoshop...) and has no multi core support, which can make rendering pretty slow. But the interface is awesome.

IDX Renditioner Express Free: http://www.idx-design.com/IDX/IDXRe...IDXRenditionerExpress/tabid/1011/Default.aspx
It's really easy to use, but the free version only allowes 640x480 (the pics above are bigger thanks to Photoshop...) and has no multi core support, which can make rendering pretty slow. But the interface is awesome.

Ahh, well I think I'll stick with Kerkythea, it works great and has loads of materials. But about those car models.. :sly: I'd like to see what you've done!

Thanks! Which part do you mean exactly? Also I tried to look at your stuff, but couldn't figure out the wesite. :lol:

Haha, well many of those pics are also in my photobuckets, found Here (Aircraft) and Here (Cars)

What I meant about the fender is the point where it transitions from a crease to a curved surface as it goes towards the door. IMO another row of polygons would help make it smoother.

Anyway I am surprised there aren't a lot of 3d modelers around, since many of the other gaming sites I go to tend to have them floating around lol
Maybe we should have an 3d modeling topic for all to post their favorite creations...

I've never heard of Google Sketchup, it looks pretty impressive for something free but is it relatively easy to use? I work with PTC ProEngineer which is insanely complex and I only know the basics after years, Airbus use it to make their planes! :scared:

Robin.

Ahh, well I think I'll stick with Kerkythea, it works great and has loads of materials. But about those car models.. :sly: I'd like to see what you've done!
It's embarrasing, but okay (please don't laugh):

The smoothening tool actually screwed up a bit on the Mustang. lol
But I have also some other stuff which looks better (no cars), but I need to make some pics of them.

I've never heard of Google Sketchup, it looks pretty impressive for something free but is it relatively easy to use? I work with PTC ProEngineer which is insanely complex and I only know the basics after years, Airbus use it to make their planes! :scared:

Robin.

It's the easiest to use 3D programm I know, but of course it's still complex and also not perfect.

That's some amazing quality work you've got out of Sketch-Up there.

But I must say, Sketch-up uses a very different system of manipulation compared to most other mainstream CAD packages. If you really want to progress in CAD I'd try and get your hands on some other software (AutoCAD is a good start).

Haha, well many of those pics are also in my photobuckets, found Here (Aircraft) and Here (Cars)

What I meant about the fender is the point where it transitions from a crease to a curved surface as it goes towards the door. IMO another row of polygons would help make it smoother.

Anyway I am surprised there aren't a lot of 3d modelers around, since many of the other gaming sites I go to tend to have them floating around lol
Maybe we should have an 3d modeling topic for all to post their favorite creations...
Those are great models! Subdivide and smoot them (if possible) and they'd be greater-er :lol: I think I know where you meant now, I think you're right... And I'd love if that's what this thread became!

Robin.
It's a good program to get you started and with a few plugins it's quite great! Give it a try!
It's embarrasing, but okay (please don't laugh):

The smoothening tool actually screwed up a bit on the Mustang. lol
But I have also some other stuff which looks better (no cars), but I need to make some pics of them.
The mustang glitched! :lol: While you're embarrassed about the work.. I used to only be able to do that too, try sketchup and watch tutorials on youtube, very helpful.
That's some amazing quality work you've got out of Sketch-Up there.

But I must say, Sketch-up uses a very different system of manipulation compared to most other mainstream CAD packages. If you really want to progress in CAD I'd try and get your hands on some other software (AutoCAD is a good start).
Actually I do have other software (3Ds max 2010) but I simply cannot figure it out, But I still try. :)

Last edited:
Those are great models! Subdivide and smoot them (if possible) and they'd be greater-er :lol: I think I know where you meant now, I think you're right... And I'd love if that's what this thread became!

Hehe, I kinda aim to make my models game-quality, since I really would prefer to have them all in various games. Some of my cars have recently been put into games, such as my Ferrari F50, which went into TDU. A few of my cars also made it into World Racing 2, such as my Ford RS200 and Lancia 037 Stradale.
I'd love to get my planes in FSX or possibly X-Plane when I get the game, but I really am too lazy to learn how to convert them into game models with functional control surfaces and other moving bits and pieces.

Hehe, I kinda aim to make my models game-quality, since I really would prefer to have them all in various games. Some of my cars have recently been put into games, such as my Ferrari F50, which went into TDU. A few of my cars also made it into World Racing 2, such as my Ford RS200 and Lancia 037 Stradale.
I'd love to get my planes in FSX or possibly X-Plane when I get the game, but I really am too lazy to learn how to convert them into game models with functional control surfaces and other moving bits and pieces.

Dude, nice!

I've now completed the door and side skirt. Here are pics:
smst.jpg

audiside.jpg

The total polygon count is now up to 139529! :dopey:

Last edited:
Wow... that looks amazing, Drummingking! And this was drawn-up in the free version of google sketchup?

I'd really like to learn how to use a decent modeling program to create some car designs. I'm very familiar with AutoCAD and Solidworks... but I can't use them at home in my spare time.

Wow... that looks amazing, Drummingking! And this was drawn-up in the free version of google sketchup?

I'd really like to learn how to use a decent modeling program to create some car designs. I'm very familiar with AutoCAD and Solidworks... but I can't use them at home in my spare time.
Do you have an Academic e-mail address? There are Student versions of AutoCAD available for free from the website.

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately though, (although I’m an Engineering/CAD student) I don’t have an academic e-mail address. 👎

That R8 is looking mighty impressive :)

And here are my two favorite pics I did recently:

And here is a fighter I am working on now:

I really need to get back into modeling cars sometime lol...

That R8 front end looks ridiculously good. I can't believe that came out of the same basic, free program that I spent most of my year 13 graphics lessons shouting at. 👍

Actually all the stuff in here looks pretty good. The most I ever managed was a classroom with 4 walls.

Some of my cars have recently been put into games, such as my Ferrari F50, which went into TDU. .

Hold on, that was your model that Tool831 converted? I ended up beta testing and creating physics for that model, that was certainly an epic model, great job! 👍

R8 above looks fantastic too, can we expect it in any games, possibly?

Back