40 Things you probably didn't know about the Paris World Tour

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 30 comments
United Kingdom
Sheffield
LewisBentley6
I occasionally write about GT live events after the fact, going to try doing it this way this time because I thought it would be more fun, lets go!

In absolutely no particular order:

1) The hotel room you ended up in seemed to be selected through the Nations Cup raffle system, as some people were shoved in what can only be described as a closet, whilst others had luxurious and spacious rooms, and others actually got multiple rooms... I struck middle ground here.

2) The FIA headquarters, from where they push the 'FIA Action for Road Safety' campaign, is literally directly outside the least safe collection of junctions I've ever seen, I literally saw 3 near crashes whilst stood on the roof of the FIA Headquarters.

3) People quickly found out that the armed guards outside the US Embassy aren't a fan of you taking photos of it.

4) Don't go to the Pavilion Gabriel (the venue for the show), everyone unanimously agreed the food was awful, even the french guys. :lol:

5) They took the brake mod out of the rigs on stage for this World Tour due to player feedback, unfortunately they forgot to take it out of the practice rigs in the hospitality lounge, making the practice rigs entirely useless. :boggled:

6) The team radio was left active after the Manufacturer Series Broadcast, meaning it was possible to invade Nations Cup competitors comms during their practice the next morning, most guys were incredibly confused when I randomly turned up in their headset, and weren't particularly appreciative of my precious insight either. :lol:

7) The Stewards aren't allowed to give many penalties as the guys producing the show think it would negatively effect the quality of the broadcast. This is what is responsible for the shocking standard of racing. We think this is stupid, so please feel free to kick off about this.

8) Team Chevrolets comms were 60% trashing other drivers around us, 10% hype, 25% swearing and 5% actual strategy, probably not the intended use of the Team Radio...

9) There was an F1 viewing party at 6am in Nik_Makozi's room, where Nik and @TRL LIGHTNING spent 5 minutes trying to ask yukiku what model his phone was in Japanese. :lol:

10) German F1 coverage sucks.

11) @OutlawQuadrnt had his PS2 running GT1-4 in his hotel room and received a wide variety of visitors throughout the weekend.

12) A new dominant faction in the GT landscape formed, known as the 'Bathrobe Boys'

13) @TRL LIGHTNING is a god at Complex String.

14) @TRL LIGHTNING is not a god in the Escudo on dirt, which is apparently the only place where I will ever beat him. :lol:

15) @force ewerby is not very good at Gran Turismo 1.

16) They accidentally said the World Finals will be in Monaco, like, 3 times during rehearsal.

17) Apparently the faster you are, the more difficulty you have operating the tyre selection pit menu.

18) The Japanese guys absolutely cannot handle alcohol.

19) Kaz was so drunk he accidentally gave the exact same end of party speech to Monaco.

20) They are injecting false rivalries and drama into the broadcasts and we all think it is pretty silly given how well everyone gets along.

21) The show director on the floor really, really, loves his job.

22) I hit a dab on @Tidgney's vlog, sue me.

23) Yes I do often race with my tongue out, it adds at least 3 tenths a lap.

24) @anthaliscious got really sick during the weekend and it really sucks.

25) @Famine gets fired by @Jordan an average of 9 times per live event.

26) The food seriously was that bad that me, @Cuber Tom, @force ewerby and JAdams decided to hit up McDonalds instead during the after party.

27) Some guys did a track walk of the GT4 Paris circuit.

28) The riots were literally 300m away from us during the Manufacturer Series broadcast, if you walked outside you could hear the shouting and explosions, it was pretty wild.

29) The replays are stored on the rigs after the show, we got a better look at a few of the incidents across the races.

30) I hate the seat they use on the rigs, have to shove it forward far too much to avoid catching my elbows.

31) About 8 people turned up to breakfast after the afterparty, safe to say we had men down. :lol:

32) Toyo approached me in the afterparty saying I was fun to watch, and clarified some details on the upcoming Nations cup season.

33) @Aderrrm joined this conversation after a couple minutes, Toyo asked us who was faster between us, I was a gentleman and said Adam was faster, Adam wasn't a gentleman and said he was faster :lol:

34) I mentioned it in the Paris event thread, but Team Chevrolet really was a shambles all weekend, we actually had our team photo taken as a 2 man team.

35) The dirt repechage race was full of awful diving that went unpenalised, didn't realise how bad it was until I caught the replay on one of the rigs, absolutely shocking open lobby level stuff, shouldn't be used again.

36) Might not come across that well on the broadcast either, but the balance of the N Class cars was once again, not even slightly close. Ford GT and the new Ferrari were hilariously broken.

37) The Media races were actually clean, I couldn't believe it, great battle between the GTP Boys.

38) The penalty glitch is fixed.

39) Shortcut penalty system appears to have been completely revamped.

40) Interesting new things coming soon. ;)

Last edited:
2) The FIA headquarters, from where they push the 'FIA Action for Road Safety' campaign, is literally directly outside the least safe collection of junctions I've ever seen, I literally saw 3 near crashes whilst stood on the roof of the FIA Headquarters

Probably has more to do with general driving standards here in France :lol:

6) The team radio was left active after the Manufacturer Series Broadcast, meaning it was possible to invade Nations Cup competitors comms during their practice the next morning, most guys were incredibly confused when I randomly turned up in their headset, and weren't particularly appreciative of my precious insight either. :lol:
@TRL LIGHTNING really appreciated my rally advice on the radio. Unfortunately he didn't even get a chance to use them

I barely bother eating actual french cuisine. I remember i spent a hour deciding which restaurant to go to Montmartre lol.
Had the luck to eat some delicious bagels and burgers :sly:
20) They are injecting false rivalries and drama into the broadcasts and we all think it is pretty silly given how well everyone gets along.
Forced drama is hilarious to see, i wish it was at wrestling level though, i wanted to see some goofy stuff but i bet the viewers wouldn't appreciate that :lol:

4) Don't go to the Pavilion Gabriel (the venue for the show), everyone unanimously agreed the food was awful, even the french guys. :lol:
I had heard that the plan was to feed us something more palatable but the Pavilion refused to alter their menu. On the flip side, I saw a rat scurrying around the place.
7) The Stewards aren't allowed to give many penalties as the guys producing the show think it would negatively effect the quality of the broadcast. This is what is responsible for the shocking standard of racing. We think this is stupid, so please feel free to kick off about this.
I already mentioned it on my feedback form but even now, I was not happy at some egregious non-calls during my individual Manu race.
There was an F1 viewing party at 6am in Nik_Makozi's room, where Nik and @TRL LIGHTNING spent 5 minutes trying to ask yukiku what model his phone was in Japanese. :lol:
A Sony something or other. That's about as far as we got. :lol:
10) German F1 coverage sucks.
One of my vids I recorded was 2 minutes and it was us waiting for the commercials to end. And that was after 4~6 minutes of commercials had already run.
11) @OutlawQuadrnt had his PS2 running GT1-4 in his hotel room and received a wide variety of visitors throughout the weekend.

12) A new dominant faction in the GT landscape formed, known as the 'Bathrobe Boys'

13) @TRL LIGHTNING is a god at Complex String.

14) @TRL LIGHTNING is not a god in the Escudo on dirt, which is apparently the only place where I will ever beat him. :lol:

15) @force ewerby is not very good at Gran Turismo 1.
I had imagined my setup was going to attract some attention but not that much! If I ever qualify for any future events, 100% chance we're doing it again.

Some footage from this which will be going up at some point.
26) The food seriously was that bad that me, @Cuber Tom, @force ewerby and JAdams decided to hit up McDonalds instead during the after party.
Me and a few other guys went to Five Guys before the afterparty. There was a board, cards and crayons to leave behind a message and so we did. Hilarious for me since there is one a short walk away and I still haven't gone there yet.

20190317_184131.jpg
31) About 8 people turned up to breakfast after the afterparty, safe to say we had men down. :lol:
Quite a few people didn't even know there was going to be breakfast. I just happened to wander into the room.
37) The Media races were actually clean, I couldn't believe it, great battle between the GTP Boys.
Watched all the media races. Quite respectable all around.

The problem here is that we don't get to see on the broadcast some of the incidents that do get penalised, which ends up confirming the producers fears;
Chevrolet got jobbed. 5 seconds it's a yoke!

EDIT: Mercedes got jobbed. We have a double yoke everyone :(
On a rewatch I was able to infer that Cheve hit BMW and Mercedes hit Porsche, but that's something they never even tried to explain to us in the heat of the moment. This was a problem with last years Salzburg Nations Cup race too. If they would be more transparent and show us the reason why certain competitors get penalised, it would enhance the broadcast, but as it stands the stewards fear giving out penalties, because the directors might not bail them out from the mob crying foul.

36) Might not come across that well on the broadcast either, but the balance of the N Class cars was once again, not even slightly close. Ford GT and the new Ferrari were hilariously broken.
It's a disgrace. As far back as a Makozi practice stream, it was clear that the Supra was the most OP of the existing cars in N300, so for the new Lambo and Ferrari to be so much faster than even that is farcical, especially if there wasn't a last minute BoP adjustment prior. If it wasn't for the free holidays I don't think there's a single competitor out there that would put up with this crap, and I predict that unless this BoP problem is solved by Nurburgring, you're going to see a lot of top guys forego Nations to make Manufacturers, the competition that actually takes itself seriously, their main focus.

Fun read! Do you know what seat model they use in the rigs? "Recaro" doesn't do a lot to narrow it down for me.

One question - are these N class races also run with tuning prohibited, i.e. with standard gearbox?

Because I can’t imagine how else some of those cars otherwise could be part of the field.

I remember a C3 Corvette at Fuji in one event last year. That one would have run into the limiter halfway down the straight with the standard gearbox...

One question - are these N class races also run with tuning prohibited, i.e. with standard gearbox?

Because I can’t imagine how else some of those cars otherwise could be part of the field.

I remember a C3 Corvette at Fuji in one event last year. That one would have run into the limiter halfway down the straight with the standard gearbox...

Tuning is prohibited but they use a standardised custom LSD and Gearbox on all cars, despite this, the balance is still shockingly bad.

Back