450pp Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71

450pp Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71

United States
Fort Worth, TX
imtolegittoquit
ImToLegitToQuit submitted a new tune:

450pp Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71 - stable setup for the notoriously difficult Dino

I've made this car much more stable than the factory car. It will still get sideways if driven poorly so it takes a bit of care. When driven correctly it will effortlessly 4 wheel drift and beautifully rotate around any corner, small or large. the LSD settings allow you to get on the gas pretty early with out fear of spinning out. I've had lots of success in...

Read more about this tune...

ImToLegitToQuit submitted a new tune:

450pp Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71 - stable setup for the notoriously difficult Dino

Read more about this tune...

Out of interest, you say notoriously difficult but I found it, in stock form, to be progressive and nice to drive (Obviously it's an old car so suspension is soft and it rolls a lot) and with suspension set up it drove like an Elise. What were your impressions then?

Out of interest, you say notoriously difficult but I found it, in stock form, to be progressive and nice to drive (Obviously it's an old car so suspension is soft and it rolls a lot) and with suspension set up it drove like an Elise. What were your impressions then?

I'm actually in your boat, I have more car control than most online drivers. I say notoriously difficult because it seemed that every Dino I saw racing online was basically drifting around spa and leaving tread marks coming out of most slow corners. I love the way that this car slips into the slightest 4 wheel slide to get around corners very fast when not driven too aggressively.

With this tune I just give the driver a bit more confidence to brake hard and throttle early without deploying a smoke screen while doing so. I kept the weight transfer that allows it to rotate so well, i just made it more controllable. With an open track the stock car can be a lot of fun, but i didn't like it so much in traffic.

I don't know what version of GT 6 the setup was done . But it was a good tune regarding the default Dino behavior.

My impressions driving in GT6 1.09v:

I thought the back was too unstable for high speed corners and over steering a lot when stepping on the gas (even when gentle on the throttle). Also the rear was rolling a lot when I tried to trail brake into medium speed corners.

Also the turn in was too aggressive, making the car go sideways very easily and lose traction momentum, because I had to wait to regain grip.

After a few runs and a few tweaks that is my suggestion to improve handling and corner speeds and make your tune work even better (if I may):

Suspension

Ride Height (F/R):

90 / 95

Spring Rate (F/R):

6.20 / 7.80

Dampers - Comp. (F/R):

5 / 4

Dampers - Ext. (F/R):

6 / 5

Anti-Roll Bars (F/R):

4 / 3

Camber Angle (F/R):

0.0 / 1.5

Toe Angle (F/R):

0 / .08

Brake Balance (F/R):

3 / 2

Drivetrain

Initial Torque (F/R):

/ 6

Accel. Sensitivity (F/R):

/ 16

Braking Sensitivity (F/R):

/ 22

I would like the author to test it and tell me what do you think?.

Last edited:
I don't know what version of GT 6 the setup was done . But it was a good tune regarding the default Dino behavior.

My impressions driving in GT6 1.09v:

I thought the back was too unstable for high speed corners and over steering a lot when stepping on the gas (even when gentle on the throttle). Also the rear was rolling a lot when I tried to trail brake into medium speed corners.

Also the turn in was too aggressive, making the car go sideways very easily and lose traction momentum, because I had to wait to regain grip.

After a few runs and a few tweaks that is my suggestion to improve handling and corner speeds and make your tune work even better (if I may):

Suspension

Ride Height (F/R):

90 / 95

Spring Rate (F/R):

6.20 / 7.80

Dampers - Comp. (F/R):

5 / 4

Dampers - Ext. (F/R):

6 / 5

Anti-Roll Bars (F/R):

4 / 3

Camber Angle (F/R):

0.0 / 1.5

Toe Angle (F/R):

0 / .08

Brake Balance (F/R):

3 / 2

Drivetrain

Initial Torque (F/R):

/ 6

Accel. Sensitivity (F/R):

/ 16

Braking Sensitivity (F/R):

/ 22

I would like the author to test it and tell me what do you think?.

let me start by saying thanks for trying my tune, and double thanks for giving me feedback. I'll tell you the process i went though for trying out your suggested changes for my setup.

I took the car to trail mountain which is a track that i've always had to be careful when using this car. I drove my setup a few times around the track (purposely never setting a fast ghost) before adding your changes so that I had something to compare it to.

I immediately saw what it was you were trying to accomplish with your changes. you were looking for more stability, which with this car is completely understandable. however, in driving your car I found that it reached a turning limit. Then once you hit that limit you would get understeer. I personally think that this car should never ever understeer, it's too good. In your car, I set a 1:32.9xx

I then switched back to my setup and first time around (with mistakes) set a 1:32.5xx. The biggest difference between our cars was that while turning the wheel yours had kind of a safety net where it would stop rotating and understeer and mine would continue to rotate up until it it was facing the wrong direction. With my setup it is up to the driver to drive the car around the corner and balance that oversteer versus having the car tell you when it's had enough. With my car in each turn I was able to go in faster, maintain a higher speed, and come out much faster. It was harder to drive than yours but it was much faster as well.

I decided to edit mine to make it a bit easier and allow for more confidence while driving. I raised the front ARB 1 click, removed camber so it is 0/0, and adjusted the front toe to .10. 1st lap i ran a 1:31.8xx

Try these settings and let me know what you think, if you like them I will update the tune and give you some credit for testing and feedback in the description.

I have been browsing the website here for up to date tunes and almost missed this one... in the specs it still reads version 1.09 but further reading leads me to realize this is not the case. I'm wondering how many other tunes I've missed due to this. I usually skip them if they say 1.09 or don't seem recent enough, hmm. Great tune by the way... I had fun with the car. I like em a little loose too. And running sports hard on the willow was extra challenging...

I have been browsing the website here for up to date tunes and almost missed this one... in the specs it still reads version 1.09 but further reading leads me to realize this is not the case. I'm wondering how many other tunes I've missed due to this. I usually skip them if they say 1.09 or don't seem recent enough, hmm. Great tune by the way... I had fun with the car. I like em a little loose too. And running sports hard on the willow was extra challenging...
Yeah anything after 1.09 is safe. That was the last physics update. 10 and 11 were just network and paint updates. Thanks for the reminder though @Doomskee I will change mine.

Back