4g63

• Thread starter A86
  • 7 comments

A86

hi I have a question regarding this engine that is currently powering the lancer evolution series. One thing that strikes out is unlike other sports cars the stroke is bigger than the diameter of the bore(85mm/88mm). I wonder why mitsubishi chose this configuration and hasn't changed it in almost 18 years. Isn't this more of a problem(reving) compared to other engines. And what are the advantages of this setup. thanks

Its easier to get power out of this engine than it is with the impreza and its more reliable so I quess mitsu just went along with that.

A86
hi I have a question regarding this engine that is currently powering the lancer evolution series. One thing that strikes out is unlike other sports cars the stroke is bigger than the diameter of the bore(85mm/88mm). I wonder why mitsubishi chose this configuration and hasn't changed it in almost 18 years. Isn't this more of a problem(reving) than a good thing for the engine. thanks

Once you make a great engine, why would you want to lose it. Look at nissan, they made the great VQ, and now they use it all across the board. There is nothing wrong with that engine, and it hopefully will be around for another 10 years!!!!!!

A longer stroke allows for more torque. Drag cars with long strokes have huge amounts of torque especially when compared to an f1 car that has a very short stroke and wide bore, which helps making high rpm. The evo was designed originally for rally homologation. Most rally cars need to produce a broad, strong torque band and peak power isn't as important.

I've always believed that the reason skyline gtr's are amazing tuner cars is because they can sustain both high rpm's and high boost at the same time. A gtr making 600 lbft of torque will produce almost 800 hp, whereas an evo producing that much torque ends up making about 600-650 hp.

xcsti
A longer stroke allows for more torque. Drag cars with long strokes have huge amounts of torque especially when compared to an f1 car that has a very short stroke and wide bore, which helps making high rpm. The evo was designed originally for rally homologation. Most rally cars need to produce a broad, strong torque band and peak power isn't as important.

I've always believed that the reason skyline gtr's are amazing tuner cars is because they can sustain both high rpm's and high boost at the same time. A gtr making 600 lbft of torque will produce almost 800 hp, whereas an evo producing that much torque ends up making about 600-650 hp.

Yeah but the skyline has 6 cylinders but more displacement meaning it has a smoother power curve than the evo with the same torque but have more HP.

xcsti

That's true but if you look at the evo's rival, the impreza it has a shorter stroke and can rev higher than the evo plus the latest models have higher torgue levels than the evo's.

Poverty
Yeah but the skyline has 6 cylinders but more displacement meaning it has a smoother power curve than the evo with the same torque but have more HP.

Well I don't think displacement has as much significance in highly tuned turbo cars then it does in stock form. The more important things that I see are the ability to take boost and the ability to rev high. I think they can overcome a difference in size as long as it isn't a huge one. Your right the gtr's inline six configuration is pretty smooth which helps reduce stress at higher rpms.

A86
That's true but if you look at the evo's rival, the impreza it has a shorter stroke and can rev higher than the evo plus the latest models have higher torgue levels than the evo's.

Hmm well I was only speculating but also boxers are prone to less vibration. If the subaru engineers decided that they could create good rpm without sacrificing low end power because of the boxer configuration, they would.

xcsti
Your right the gtr's inline six configuration is pretty smooth which helps reduce stress at higher rpms.

Yes thats the great thing about inline six, great design for smooth engines, like the boxer.

Back