4wd understeer

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 18 comments
Boss-Barracuda
I have found through trying to drift different audis and the volkswagen bora that german 4wds tend to have massive understeer at the end of a corner. i have yet to figure this out even after hours of testing so does anybody know how to combat this understeer.

my entry into the corner is perfectly fine as usual but in the middle of the corner it starts to understeer and by the end of the corner im headed right towards the wall :confused:

one last thing, i know i could change the tires to have n2's in front and n1's in back ( or n3's and n2's however much power im using ) but i hate how that feels and it just becomes way to easy. im also not going the route of a spoiler :yuck:. so does anybody know, setup wise, how to get rid of this.

To get rid of understeer is a bit hard and I got this video that I made:
and here is the thread for it
but basicly, a YAw controller would help but it replaces the LSD. You can also play with the Ballast or turn on the TCS oversteer.

ive never used the lsd or yaw on any of my cars. i thought only lancer were able to install yaw control. i dont really like to use them either because i find no real use for them, my setups that i have work perfectly for me but maybe ill have to try it on my newest understeering drifter, the volkswagen bora. i dont want to halve to stoop down to a spoiler though, i just cant stand them :yuck:

this is just another car ill probably have to leave behind me. nice video, i have four of my own and i just created a newer one that i have yet to put up. most of my videos im drifting subarus and i find they're the most fun 4wd to drift for me. thanks for the help and ill have to try some things out later, for now i have to do my homework :nervous:

It is because Vdub and Audi have intense power in the front to control the car (For gripping) so It just tends to spin at the end and most drivers that are really really really good use that to an advantage (Pros)

Don't think I am lying just cause I am 14
I drive my dads Audi Quatro 90 20 valve alot.
(He's a Rally Driver)

It is because Vdub and Audi have intense power in the front to control the car (For gripping) so It just tends to spin at the end and most drivers that are really really really good use that to an advantage (Pros)

Don't think I am lying just cause I am 14
I drive my dads Audi Quatro 90 20 valve alot.
(He's a Rally Driver)

Well, some people love proof thats all.

The Volkswagen-Audis in the game are mostly heavliy front-biased front-wheel-based AWDs (Audi didn't start making the rear-biased, I think, unti the RS4, which is, sadly, not in the game, despite the "regular" S4 with the V8 being in there). Plus engine placement ensures that they will be extremely front heavy.... regardless of suspension set-up, the game reads front-heavy as "understeer".

This is seen with the Mitsubishi Lancers, the ultra-stiff rear end of the Lancer can help induce oversteer in real life if you push it hard enough... in the game, that point of balance is a little too far off... which is why the Subarus in the game, which have a greater rearward bias, drive more like the Evos do in real life than the in-game Evo does.

You could get around the front-end heaviness by doing a stage III reduction and re-adding all that weight south of the rear axle, but it still won't help with the Front-rear drive balance.... a VCD controller set to 10% front might help.

or when ya notice it starting to understeer put more wheel into it and kick the back - back out... just sounds like your coming out of the drift to soon. and if that don't work there's always the E-brake... lol just tap it or it will be the back of the car hitting the wall j/k but if you were gonna use some of what ya mentioned i'd say N3 front N2's in back your pretty much sure of oversteer... i find N2 front N1 in back got to much yaw plenty of drift with not much traction. i like subaru's too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2Fa86984w

One very simple way to solve this is once the drift starts, let off the gas. Many fwd and awd cars will oversteer heavily when you let off, but understeer when you keep into it.

or when ya notice it starting to understeer put more wheel into it and kick the back - back out... just sounds like your coming out of the drift to soon. and if that don't work there's always the E-brake... lol just tap it or it will be the back of the car hitting the wall j/k but if you were gonna use some of what ya mentioned i'd say N3 front N2's in back your pretty much sure of oversteer... i find N2 front N1 in back got to much yaw plenty of drift with not much traction. i like subaru's too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2Fa86984w

lol, believe me, im not letting off at all. I know what im doing its just that with these cars i came to a road block.

when i drift with any of my 4wd cars i have my suspension set relatively on the soft and low side. i enter the turn by either weight shifting or the good old e-brake and completely turn in and step on it. This will give me a good balance and i can usually just hold the gas and be turning the whole time ( with a little help form the ebrake ) ( if anyone has ever played xlink with me they know about me and the ebrake ) I usually give myself around 450hp and n2 or n3 tires with my universal 4wd setup :sly:

I dont like mixing tires, it makes it way too easy and boring :grumpy:

my trouble with the audi and vw cars are ill do the same thing i always do and mid-turn ( even while im completely steering into the turn) my front decides it wants to go out to the wall no matter what i do.

EDIT: sorry to bring this back up, i don't need any more help im just responding :D

my trouble with the audi and vw cars are ill do the same thing i always do and mid-turn ( even while im completely steering into the turn) my front decides it wants to go out to the wall no matter what i do.
Make the rear step out before the front do then. This can be done by reducing rear end grip, which should be easier to do than increasing front end grip even without mixing tire. Overall grip not important when drifting, isn't it? or is it?

So, how you manage to reduce the understeer? do you use all previous suggestion?

hi

i dont mean to be the party pooper......but i recken that driftin with 4wd's is kinda cheating its just WAY to easy i think that new comers should use 4wds and slowly start to use FR cars as they need more experience to drift with but thats just me and my though's it up to you what you drive.:sly:

As long as they don't pick the wrong car it should be fine I guess. I wouldn't recommend Falken GTR as the car to learn drifting :). It should have worst problem then Audi's.......

As long as they don't pick the wrong car it should be fine I guess. I wouldn't recommend Falken GTR as the car to learn drifting :). It should have worst problem then Audi's.......

i would say a cheap car like a 3000GT form mitsibishi or a used subaru/lancer there all good 4wd drift cars but i still think its cheating plus i learnt the hard way trying to drift a 1000+hp super car on my my first ever drift:nervous:

From what i've seen the reason the Audi under steers is due to the engine layout... Most cars have the engine behind the front axle, but for some reason Audi like to put them as far forward as they can as to allow more space inside the cabin (apparently).

They've copied this into the game - so thats why it understeers as the weight of the engine is pushing the front forward.

After testing for countless hours, the best way around this (for me anyway) was:-

To transfer as much drive to the rear wheels as possible to help acceleration out of the corners (kept understeering during heavy acceleration).

Add ballast weight to the rear of the car - this you'll have to play with in terms of weight and location...

Even after all that, still wasn't 100% for me... Understeer was all but gone, but the back end just wouldn't play!

i would say a cheap car like a 3000GT form mitsibishi or a used subaru/lancer there all good 4wd drift cars but i still think its cheating plus i learnt the hard way trying to drift a 1000+hp super car on my my first ever drift:nervous:
I don't think perfect car choice can be considered cheating. I don't think D1 judge will give score based on car choice.

I think even a good drift car will need skill too, and additional tuning still can be applied to make it better.

Different drive train would need different driving style and tuning. With so many cars in GT4, we have a lot of different kind of challenge :cheers: :).

Even after all that, still wasn't 100% for me... Understeer was all but gone, but the back end just wouldn't play!
Try 10.0 camber at the rear :D. increase rear spring rate if it become too wild .....

Latest Posts

Back