4WD vs. FR vs. FF vs. MR vs. RR

What type of drivetrain do you like the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So you mean you like rock hard stable cars right?

O no not buy a long shot i drive the blitz all the time with a pretty loose set up. I think panspeed has seen me sideways quite a few times on HSR :P what i don't like about the MR is i cant let off the gas mid turn, for whatever reason be it a mistake of my own or some one else's. Ive tried to tune it out of the GT but i cant every time i lift off it steps out. i had the same prob with the NSX. So for me they don't fit my style and i cant control them good enuf to race with.

Real life, I love AWD car's.... I just love the expirence you get going around a corner in one, idk why, so much grip and so much speed so controlled and its just amazing...

Aswell as in game I like AWD's, but i switch between those and FR's to drift

can I have RWD Focus please :D the one that Ford made with the 5.0L Cammer :)
cant get enough of oversteer while cornering, I know MR will oversteer too in corner but they seems more stable than FR with my driving style at least

Front Engine Rear wheel drive cars are a practicality for general automotive, simply because its easier to work on and it provides good stability for most driving surfaces. However MR is well regarded as the greatest Engine/Drive layout for serious Race Cars. A good example of this is the Le Mans. But in my opinion MR can be harder to drive fast than FR when performance is increased without paying correct attention to the Suspension(especially tyres) and handling characteristics of the Vehicle, so FR I believe is a better choice for a Street Car unless your dedicated and know what your doing with MR's. I do however like the NSX as a MR Car, they have some serious track potential if your a dedicated Tuner, its a wonder not many Tuner's have worked on the NSX.;)
Cheers,
OnlineGT

Front Engine Rear wheel drive cars are a practicality for general automotive, simply because its easier to work on and it provides good stability for most driving surfaces. However MR is well regarded as the greatest Engine/Drive layout for serious Race Cars. A good example of this is the Le Mans. But in my opinion MR can be harder to drive fast than FR when performance is increased without paying correct attention to the Suspension(especially tyres) and handling characteristics of the Vehicle, so FR I believe is a better choice for a Street Car unless your dedicated and know what your doing with MR's. I do however like the NSX as a MR Car, they have some serious track potential if your a dedicated Tuner, its a wonder not many Tuner's have worked on the NSX.;)
Cheers,
OnlineGT

So you pretty much don't take the MR as a challenge.

So you pretty much don't take the MR as a challenge.
Well I think that FR is a practical layout for general cars but if you want maximum on-track performance, then you would without a doubt go for the MR layout. Its quite simple really when you look at it like a balancing equation.
Having the engine in the center of the Car will obviously provide a better balanced weight distribution to the suspension which in turn will provide a more even weight shift when cornering, accelerating and braking. This of course is not going to help you much though if you have not correctly tuned the suspension to handle the increased performance of the engine and tyres. I believe there is a balance that has to be maintained between Engine, Suspension(inc. Chassis & Body Rigidity) aswell as tyres.;)
So to answer your question, yes I would prefer the MR in the likes of Honda's NSX if I were to be building a serious track car, however as a practical daily driver I would suggest the FR layout.
This is just my opinion based on my understanding of the Physics that are associated with Engine/Drive layout aswell as general Driving forces aplied to the said Vehicle's whilst Driving.:)
Peace,
OnlineGT

MR cos that's what the Ford GT is :dopey:

Why would you nominate a car that is a POS that wants to throw you into a wall or off the track?? :nervous: Sure MR might be the best design for handling but that car and any version of it in GT5P needs to be shot and burnt,it just wants to kill you if try and turn it. :yuck:

Why would you nominate a car that is a POS that wants to throw you into a wall or off the track?? :nervous: Sure MR might be the best design for handling but that car and any version of it in GT5P needs to be shot and burnt,it just wants to kill you if try and turn it. :yuck:

My GT goes exactly where I want it to go. It's a question of man/boy separation :sly:

My GT goes exactly where I want it to go. It's a question of man/boy separation :sly:

It`s well known that the GT has questionable handling characteristic`s,there is many a post regarding it`s handling quirks and setups to tame it. Nothing to do with the size of one`s tackle :dopey:

You don`t see much about the M3 or Z06 Vette for example trying to kill you. :scared:

It`s well known that the GT has questionable handling characteristic`s,there is many a post regarding it`s handling quirks and setups to tame it. Nothing to do with the size of one`s tackle :dopey:

You don`t see much about the M3 or Z06 Vette for example trying to kill you. :scared:

There's a difference between 'questionable handling characteristics' and 'characteristics that some players don't understand' - the GT drives (in my opinion) like an MR supercar should. If you're daft enough to lift off the throttle in the middle of a corner then you deserve to crash. If this comes as a surprise to you or you find the car's reaction 'questionable' you should do a little homework or stick to more straightforward drivetrains. (4wd or FR)

Last edited:
There's a difference between 'questionable handling characteristics' and 'characteristics that some players don't understand' - the GT drives (in my opinion) like an MR supercar should. If you're daft enough to lift off the throttle in the middle of a corner then you deserve to crash. If this comes as a surprise to you or you find the car's reaction 'questionable' you should do a little homework or stick to more straightforward drivetrains. (4wd or FR)

Granted the GT does certainly exhibit MR handling characteristics and it`s entilted to do so,but it is really overly exggerated in this regard by PD.
Understanding it`s behaviour and controlling it are very different things. Have you tried a stock GT on HSR on the S curves? At 80km/h it will come around like it`s rear is on ice and thats just coasting no throttle or brakes (with a G25 mind you). Do you see people complaining about a F430? It`s almost magical and i`m very capable with actually(surprisingly faster than a Z06 due to it`s handling and nothing more and the Vette`s no slouch too), but the same MR setup in a GT is a stinking pile :nervous:. Have you looked at all the complaint`s it`s handling has produced. It`s a shame,it looks ok, has a killer engine, the gearbox seems alright, it just needs to be fitted to something that doesn`t want to kill you and can make it around a track without making you dizzy from spinning out. :yuck: I`m glad you have seemed to tame it,maybe you should make a sticky to let everyone know that it`s been tamed and share your magical setup with everone here, I`m sure ther are plenty of people that could use it 👍

Enjoy This one was good on Fuji but it's a little bit too tame for Suzuka. I got some advice from Holden to help loosen up the back end a bit, I'll post the revised setup tonight if you like. Even as it stands, tho, you won't have any problems keeping this on the track. The problem is a bit of understeer that will keep you shy of a decent lap time.

There are plenty other setups out there better than mine and all of them have gone some way to dialling in the lift-off oversteer which causes so many problems with the factory settings..

Nice thread.
If were on about GT5 - Prologue then i seem to use more FR cars than most. I personally love very neutral handling so cars like the TVR, M3 and Jag i find very rewarding to drive. MR cars a to twitchy for my liking but not all. I Love the NSX Type R. Very neutral handling car up until the limit.
As for FF cars the Integra i great but some slight to much understeer for me.

As for Realife. I have only every owned FF cars all Hondas. Never driven anything else. But has anybody here driven a Honda Prelude Type S (my current car).
Basically Mitsubishi have patented there Active Yaw Control but Honda developed its own type called ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System). It can send 80% of the torque to the outside wheel of the corner creating yaw and law defying cornering. (Yep thats why the Prelude in GT2 was able to have ungraded Yaw control). Basically the car behaves more like a FR car than an FF. No understeer and more oversteer that doesnt really need to be corrected. You can get on the accelerator early in a corner and get pushed round the corner. Quite an amazing car really.
Not true FR but i would love to own an FR car. FR seems more balenced plus sidewya loving is always fun.

Man/boy, :lol:, I still can't drive the 135i fast around Suzuka yet with the wheel after 3 days. I guess that makes me a boy.:dopey:

Enjoy This one was good on Fuji but it's a little bit too tame for Suzuka. I got some advice from Holden to help loosen up the back end a bit, I'll post the revised setup tonight if you like. Even as it stands, tho, you won't have any problems keeping this on the track. The problem is a bit of understeer that will keep you shy of a decent lap time.

There are plenty other setups out there better than mine and all of them have gone some way to dialling in the lift-off oversteer which causes so many problems with the factory settings..

About time I got that recognition :P, just kidding, but the GT is certainly easy to drive, easier if you know how to use it.

Man/boy, :lol:, I still can't drive the 135i fast around Suzuka yet with the wheel after 3 days. I guess that makes me a boy.:dopey:

About time I got that recognition :P, just kidding, but the GT is certainly easy to drive, easier if you know how to use it.

It's a whole hell of a lot easier than it's big brother, the LM spec. Now there's a car that likes nothing better than killing you at the first available opportunity. It's like Hannibal Lecter on wheels :D

Granted the GT does certainly exhibit MR handling characteristics and it`s entilted to do so,but it is really overly exggerated in this regard by PD.
Understanding it`s behaviour and controlling it are very different things. Have you tried a stock GT on HSR on the S curves? At 80km/h it will come around like it`s rear is on ice and thats just coasting no throttle or brakes (with a G25 mind you). Do you see people complaining about a F430? It`s almost magical and i`m very capable with actually(surprisingly faster than a Z06 due to it`s handling and nothing more and the Vette`s no slouch too), but the same MR setup in a GT is a stinking pile :nervous:. Have you looked at all the complaint`s it`s handling has produced. It`s a shame,it looks ok, has a killer engine, the gearbox seems alright, it just needs to be fitted to something that doesn`t want to kill you and can make it around a track without making you dizzy from spinning out. :yuck: I`m glad you have seemed to tame it,maybe you should make a sticky to let everyone know that it`s been tamed and share your magical setup with everone here, I`m sure ther are plenty of people that could use it 👍

Until someone walks in here who has driven a Ford GT GT3 or equivelant in real life and says that the handling characteristics are all wrong and gives good reasons, I'll take the GT LM as being very accurate.
The GT LM is, in my opinion, the greatest car in this game because it requires total skill in throttle, brakes and steering all at the same time.

And this is why I love MR and FR the most. With these drivetrains, there is always a second to be found somewhere. Always an improvement to be made and its always a joy to drive them. Very rewarding cars when mastered.
I voted MR but I use FR equally. I haven't driven very many RR cars in this or any other game, so I don't know how much I like them yet.

It's a whole hell of a lot easier than it's big brother, the LM spec. Now there's a car that likes nothing better than killing you at the first available opportunity. It's like Hannibal Lecter on wheels :D

My GT LM @ HSR = Piece of pie.

How come only 15% prefer 4WD over other drivetrain configurations, while online you see 98.9% of the people picking up 4WDs.

My GT LM @ HSR = Piece of pie.

Yeah but HSR hasn't got any corners. Try it on a proper track. I'm not saying it's impossible - I use it and if I can learn to drive something I'm sure anyone can - but it is a very feisty, occasionally argumentative and sometimes downright psychotic machine. :crazy:

How come only 15% prefer 4WD over other drivetrain configurations, while online you see 98.9% of the people picking up 4WDs.

It's easier to keep a 4WD on the track, especially when being rammed or doing the ramming. Hence the reason its the weapon of choice of noobs and punters.

In the interests of avoiding another flame war I suppose I'd best point out that it takes a good driver to compete quickly and cleanly and you do quite often see them - RudiRaser in his trusty black Evo for instance.

Last edited:
I voted for FF, partly because I was feeling a little cantankerous and partly because I'm a bit fed up with people writing off FF on the basis of myth and rumour.

Someone asked me for a citation, well the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) is the citation. All season long we've watched cars with the same power fighting it out. The FR cars haven't beaten the FF cars, although each has shown it has different strengths and weaknesses. This weekend in the wet, we saw that the FF diesel SEAT has a tendency to eat it's tyres after a while and that the FR cars were more gentle on the tyres and so were stronger in the latter half of the race.

I think someone else on this site gave a link to a FF/FR comparison in the states which came to a smiler conclusion.

Anyway, my point was that FR is not in and of itself, superior to FF at all levels. On the other hand, while the FF layout is now able to be used with more powerful cars than before it is surpassed by FR above around 250 -300bhp (you can see that the upper limit is being pushed if you follow the development of the new Ford Focus RS, for example).

On the other, other hand the point of the thread was which we liked the best, which is not necessarily the same as which is the fastest :-)

Funny thing in GT4 I loved the 4WD and that was about all I drove. Now in GT5P I changed to the RR especially on pro physics. Just have to find the right tune for each car.

Back