50 Greatest liveries of all time.

• Thread starter albteman015
  • 1,617 comments
Are there any other such examples of a, uh... vain redesign to liveries?

I know that around that time teams began to "TV test" liveries to ensure that corporate colours came through, but I'm sure the B&H one is at the more extreme end of the scale. With that said it doesn't take a TV test to see that the original colour was humongously minging.

General Livery Question

It was changed to gold specifically to make it look better on television. Are there any other such examples of a, uh... vain redesign to liveries?
Spyker's pre-season test car in 2007 was very bright
262175.jpg

10f5e280ae50087ff17081eb4fc781ee.jpg

But when TV cameras were pointed at it, it just looked red, like the Ferrari.
So they had to go for a much more muted orange so it actually looked correct.
1200px-Adrian_Sutil_2007_Brazil_free_practice.jpg

I can still remember seeing the bulls on the Red Bull in 2016 at Silverstone and seeing that they were pretty much the same luminosity of that first Spyker in real life, massively down from the just-red they look like on TV for the same reason - so it looks correct on the screen
daniel-ricciardo-red-bull-racing-rb12

I've heard for many years that someone at Ferrari saw a race televised, noted how the color had been altered through the transmission, and they soon after changed something so that their red stood out on screen. My eyes aren't that great at hue hunting, so I can't tell from pictures, but they apparently had a darker shade from '96-'07 if Wikipedia is to be believed.

The 2007 Ferrari was definitely more maroon than Scarlet compared to all the ones before and after - which is probably the main reason I think it's one of the worst looking cars Ferrari has produced.

I really love the Xanavi Hiroto R34 Skyline GT-R livery from the 2001 JGTC season. Probably my favorite Super GT livery of all time. Hard to find decent pictures so I just used the one from Gran Turismo, which is of course where most of us are exposed to this racing series.

Nissan_XANAVI_HIROTO_GT-R_(JGTC)_'01.jpg

A728FFFD-E929-4945-97B1-9E94B4DA9E75.jpeg

Does anyone know what the ‘Keep The Dream Alive’ sponsor is? I love the logo and I’d like to find out more about it. Going from other pictures, inside the yellow balloon in the logo, it says YA with some other writing too small to make out. Does anyone know what YA is? Its also on the window banner.

For some reason I really like liveries that feature unordinary text, like this Nissan or the BMW V12 LMR Art Car, just something abstract about it.

The 2020 RAYBRIG NSX was a beauty that blended both the glossy blue and the matte black perfectly

EmRS67sW4AEjt6Y.jpg

En-TOqVVkAADsFJ.jpg

EmO9eUSXcAMzpvg.jpg

The recently revealed STANLEY livery gives me some big Mclaren Mercedes vibes with its silver colors:

asimg_00_706006a61649bbc-1280x854.jpg

asimg_01_2d6006a61897d01-1280x853.jpg

General Livery Question

...It was changed to gold specifically to make it look better on television. Are there any other such examples of a, uh... vain redesign to liveries?

Marlboro changed from red to fluorescent orange-red in 1976, citing that it appeared sharper on TV. Of course, your film white-balance and optical color receptors may vary.

Personally, I think Jordan's use of brownish-gold / "Dijon mustard" made the car look a little more bland on TV. It may have looked more dazzling in person but the mix of sponsors weren't that readable in the world-feed days of 480i. The change to a higher-contrast yellow seemed to work...even those uninterested in F1 mentioned the snakehead livery over on these shores.

Last edited:
Marlboro changed from red to fluorescent orange-red in 1976, citing that it appeared sharper on TV. Of course, your film white-balance and optical color receptors may vary.
I gratuitously observe that I now I can't stop humming what turns out to actually be the theme music for "The Magnificent Seven".

Last edited:
This AMG GT3 from Ram Racing/2 Seas Motorsport was carrying a throwback livery to the CLK-GTR/CLK DTM/C-Class DTM in D2 colors over the last weekend in British GT. Hopefully it's not a one-off as I think it suits the AMG GT very, very well.
FtXT4rZXoAMtt5N.jpg

A new one on me, stumbled upon whilst scrolling through Facebook and someone posted a model of it.

The other Rothmans sponsered 1996 title winner: Terry Moss and his #8 Audi A4 in the South African Touring Car Championship (SATCAR), raced to Super Touring regulations. Teammate Chris Aberdein was second in #9. Hard to find good images of it; the first 3 pictures are from supertouringregister.com. Pity about the yellow number background.

1329.jpg

1618.jpg

1332.jpg

Chris Aberdein - Rothmans Audi A4 Supertouring - South African Super Touring Car / SATCAR Championship - Killarney , Cape Town , South Africa 1996 - SA00090 by Peter Ellenbogen, on Flickr

The Valvoline-liveried Ford Mondeos that graced the British Touring Car Championship grids in 1995 and 1996 deserve to be mentioned here since NAPA Racing commemorated said livery by replicating it on Sam Osborne's car at last weekend's BTCC meeting at Silverstone.

images.jpeg

Last edited:
The Valvoline-liveried Ford Mondeos that graced the British Touring Car Championship grids in 1995 and 1996 deserve to be mentioned here since NAPA Racing commemorated said livery by replicating it on Sam Osborne's car at last weekend's BTCC meeting at Silverstone.

Pic for reference.
IMG_0234.jpeg

But this Mondeo tops it imo.
IMG_0235.jpeg

Going to list some of my personal favourites, some may have been posted already but who doesn’t like more cool liveries.

Vauxhall may have made boring cars, but these liveries were clean.
IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

Select others.
IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg
IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0242.jpeg
IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0245.jpeg
IMG_0246.jpeg
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_0248.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpeg

Last edited:
1698426971107.png

The Castrol part is honestly tacked on and could do with a removal, but the black and blue combo is the best one could ask for.

Which grid looks the best just at a glance? Not just "Well there's this one livery I like..." and you don't have to like all of them but just as a snapshot, the contrast of colours makes for an interesting-looking grid.

1997 BTCC

maxresdefault.jpg

1998 & 2000 Formula One

People hate on the red Williams because they were poor on track but they look awesome in my opinion. The first BMW Williams is amazing too.

XPB_1033684_HiRes.jpg

DzvU4boWoAAinOe.jpg

Last edited:
2000 without a doubt. The Tyrrell really takes down the 1998 IMO and the Telefonica Minardi in 2000 is the best non-black livery they ever did.
I happen to like the 1998 Tyrrell but each to their own. 2000 has many strong qualities though; the green of Jaguar and orange of Arrows really make the grid stand out. BAR switching to white overcomes Stewart's rebranding.

Speaking of 2000, as an avid NASCAR fan, that year may have had the most beautiful field in its history. Back in a time where the teams had one primary sponsor nearly the whole season as opposed to running multiple ones throughout the season. A couple regulars not shown here include Kenny Irwin's 42 (and Ted Musgrave's 01 after Irwin's untimely death) and Robby Gordon's many paint jobs in the 13. Even the special schemes that season were very cool.
1644513797437-png.539842

That said, John Andretti's 43 changed schemes midway through the season, from STP to Cheerios/Pop Secret/Betty Crocker.
169765a4ade503041abd1a0f925138fc.jpg

Jeff Burton went from Exide to CITGO later in the season.
F5YtMvPXIAAGk01.jpg

driver-jeff-burton-speeds-down-the-track-during-the-uaw-gm-news-photo-1600318307.jpg

Latest Posts

Back