50gigs isn't enough space to update?!

• Thread starter Sarkazmo
  • 14 comments
United States
OH
GTP_Sarkazmo
This is getting out of hand. Every time GTSport updates I have to delete games because it says there's not enough room. I had just over 50 gigs free and the update would not install. I had to delete Uncharted 4 bringing me to over 108 gigs free before I could update! I have the 500gig version of the PS4 and I feel like pretty soon the only game I'll be able to have installed is GTSport. Before anyone suggests it: Yes, I know I can upgrade the HDD. That is a planned.

Is anyone else having this issue or is my install buggered up or what?

Sark

I used to have this issue then it randomly went away. I think I read somewhere on here that you need enough space to download the game with all it's updates once over. (Don't remember how large the game is now, maybe a little over 80gb?) This could explain how you were able to download it after deleting uncharted.

I had a PS3 with 120GB, which I upgraded to 500 well before it was available to buy a version with 500. Had over 60 games installed.

Bought the 500GB PS4 because I thought it’d be enough.

Four years later and 50-ish digital game purchases later.. I have three-four games installed, and I had to wipe all screenshots and clips I had taken over the 4-year period I’vd had the console the other day. I need to get a bigger harddrive.. or play less games, I don’t know. It sucks having to delete a game just to try another, or update a certain game.

I feel like pretty soon the only game I'll be able to have installed is GTSport.

I just said these words to my girlfriend the other day, when she said ‘don’t you dare delete the only game I play (Fortnite) just so you can try Destiny 2’. :lol:

Yesterday I went to play GTS, needed more space to update, so I went to finish Destiny 2 (free ps+ game) and it also wouldn't let me play until I updated it, and had no space. With 400gb usable space on a typical PS4 HDD and GTS taking 1/4 of this and games needing so much space to update it is difficult to juggle even when I'm the only one using it.

Every PS4 game needs enough free space to install the entire game again in order to update that game.

Every PS4 game needs enough free space to install the entire game again in order to update that game.
But why? If this keeps going the only games left on my 500 GB PS4 will be GTS and Witcher 3 (will never, EVER delete this game)

When I first ordered my PS4 online I also ordered a 2TB hard drive because I knew this problem would come up as you have to download each game to the hard drive. Guess what happened Yelp my PS4 arrived before my HD did it was hard to do but I didn't even hook up my new PS4 until I got the new HD. Have you thought about using an external HD (hooking it up to the usb on the back of the PS4) to keep all 2 of the front ones free.

To use a car analogy adding an external HDD or upgrading the one inside is like replacing the fuel tank or adding one in the boot because the original one was way too small. People buy consoles for simplicity and ease of use!

This is getting out of hand. Every time GTSport updates I have to delete games because it says there's not enough room. I had just over 50 gigs free and the update would not install. I had to delete Uncharted 4 bringing me to over 108 gigs free before I could update! I have the 500gig version of the PS4 and I feel like pretty soon the only game I'll be able to have installed is GTSport. Before anyone suggests it: Yes, I know I can upgrade the HDD. That is a planned.

Sark

I totally get it, mate.

I have a 500gb and I was forever deleting stuff.

Trust me, if you can, before you buy any more games, do what you said and invest in a portable hard drive.

It's so simple to set up and then you are sorted.

I got a 2tb one and with the 500gb I already had I now have about 45 games all available instantly...its so much better.

I don't think they are that expensive, just make sure it's a ps4 compatible hard drive.

It was also like this in the PS3 days. Sony's installer method has always required like double the amount of free space than stated it needs to install anything. Think it's to do with the compression or extraction method.

Back