575bhp Volkswagen Passat R GT.

LSQuicksilver
It's a good idea, but the Phaeton has proven that nobody will buy a high-end car with a VW badge. So it'd be more or less a waste.

Yup.

Hey VW, how many of those $70,000 Beetles did you sell? :lol:

Well considering that all the parts underneath both the Passat and Jetta RGT were both taken from the R32, dont get too happy all at once...

I'm still waiting on word as to the US getting either the MKIV R32 or Golf GT in the future, as both cars both kick ass...

More than anything I want the Golf GT, as it would split the difference between the "base" Golf 2.5 and GTI, and theoretically would be much better suited to my tastes and my wallet.

YSSMAN
I'm still waiting on word as to the US getting either the MKIV R32 or Golf GT in the future, as both cars both kick ass...

The U.S. already got the A4 R32...VW only made 5000, though, so good luck finding one...

Wolfe2x7
The U.S. already got the A4 R32...VW only made 5000, though, so good luck finding one...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=&bkms=1134599440952&certified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&search_type=both&make=VOLKS&model=R32&start_year=1981&end_year=2006&min_price=&max_price=&distance=0&address=68131&x=69&y=15

Well, it looks as other people are a bit more optimistic on helping people find them. A quick search of Autotrader shows 161 for sale. So, there you have 161 up for the pickins, including a nice looking black one with only 72 miles on the clock. Nice.

Hilg

Well, the MKIV R32 was a great car, no doubt about it...

But I really want the MKV, which will probably be a bit closer to the Evo IX and STi than it's predecessor.

As for the MKV Golf GT, its hard to say if it will ever come to the 'States. The "twin-charger" setup may be a bit too costly for this market, but to me it seems like a more logical successor to the 150HP 1.8T that saw duty in everything from the New Beetle to the A4...

JNasty4G63
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=&bkms=1134599440952&certified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&search_type=both&make=VOLKS&model=R32&start_year=1981&end_year=2006&min_price=&max_price=&distance=0&address=68131&x=69&y=15

Well, it looks as other people are a bit more optimistic on helping people find them. A quick search of Autotrader shows 161 for sale. So, there you have 161 up for the pickins, including a nice looking black one with only 72 miles on the clock. Nice.

Hilg

Nice indeed. Either because its performance doesn't meet people's expectations (expectations = Evo/STi), or because my statement about them only making 5000 is incorrect. :lol:

YSSMAN
Well, the MKIV R32 was a great car, no doubt about it...

But I really want the MKV, which will probably be a bit closer to the Evo IX and STi than it's predecessor.

As for the MKV Golf GT, its hard to say if it will ever come to the 'States. The "twin-charger" setup may be a bit too costly for this market, but to me it seems like a more logical successor to the 150HP 1.8T that saw duty in everything from the New Beetle to the A4...

The later model 1.8t's made closer to 180hp... The original 1.8t's (from Audi to VW) made 154hp...

Also, the new 2.0T FSI engine is a more logical step up, IMO...

At this point, I'm not sure if the MK5 R32 will ever make it to our shores... The MKIV R32 didn't sell to well over here (due to it being overpriced, and extremely heavy), so VW might just cut their losses and skip the US market...

;)

Wolfe2x7
Nice indeed. Either because its performance doesn't meet people's expectations (expectations = Evo/STi), or because my statement about them only making 5000 is incorrect. :lol:
I'd say its mostly a cost issue. Yes, its a great car. Yes, it looks nice. Yes, it has very good performance. But, when you compare that cars performance to something else, like the Evo and STI, the value doesn't seem so good.

I know a guy who used to own one (he was t-boned by a drunk). He loved his. He doesn't need ultra speed or anything like that. It was a great car. Very comfortable, and lots of nice stuff inside. But, for sure, if performance is your main objective, there are better and cheaper options.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
I'd say its mostly a cost issue. Yes, its a great car. Yes, it looks nice. Yes, it has very good performance. But, when you compare that cars performance to something else, like the Evo and STI, the value doesn't seem so good.

I know a guy who used to own one (he was t-boned by a drunk). He loved his. He doesn't need ultra speed or anything like that. It was a great car. Very comfortable, and lots of nice stuff inside. But, for sure, if performance is your main objective, there are better and cheaper options.

Hilg

Unless you have HPA tune it, in which case the car suddenly becomes quite a bargain :) ...I wouldn't know about the reliability, though.... :indiff:

I'm a pretty die-hard VW guy, so I completely understand what the R32 was all about... Speed when necessary, and the capability to do so, but not all the time like that of the STi and Evo.

The R32 was, and still is, much more of a civilized racer... Something you can drive back and fourth to work and the grocery store during the week, and campaign in SCCA showroom-stock B class on the weekend.

If I would have had the $34K for a new one back in 2003, as compared to the Evo or the STi (for just a bit over $30K), even with the performance differences, I still would have gone with the R32...

If I had the cash and felt the need to purchase one of the three, I'd pick the R32 simply because the Evo would make me look like some asian teenager with more money than taste or driving skill, and the STi would make me look like some white prick who thinks AWD makes you utterly invincible and all-powerful... :indiff:

Back