6 Seconds Penalty without contact

Austria
Austria
Hey i just finished a race 1st place, i started at 2nd and overtook the 1st on dragon tail hairpin clean. We had no contact. Anyway at the end i got a 6 Second Penalty and droped to 3rd. How does this penalty system work? I thought its only when u crash or have contact with others? You can watch the replay ingame, (25.10.2017 1:35 my name is Chiprunner_).

how gt sport penalty system works:

Last edited:
Yeah I have been having the same problem with random penalty time points ??? Clean race no track cuts and no bashing anyone all 100% clean if it's a bug fix it ffs

thats possible, didnt knew that cuting the track a bit result in 3 second penalty

I was given a 9 second penalty for a cut, dodging a car that brake checked me. So far it seems like burning it off immediately after the infraction is the easiest way.

It is definitely a bug now, I got a huge 10 second penalty on Blue Moon speedway N200 coming out of the last corner with no contact or other happening whatsoever.

First time I got one it was on a real track so I figured I must have run too wide (though it was a weird 20 seconds!)

Yeah watch those pit lines, it really doesn't like you crossing those. I haven't got any I don't understand yet, I don't always agree with all the decisions made but I've understood what each penalty is for so far.

this penalty system sucks ass! got 4 seconds penalty for leaving the track and hiting the wall... like its not enough to lose time anyway you get a penalty on top of that... ****ing pisses me off

7HO
Yeah watch those pit lines, it really doesn't like you crossing those. I haven't got any I don't understand yet, I don't always agree with all the decisions made but I've understood what each penalty is for so far.
I guess it could have been that.. Ill have to try crossing lines on the oval see if I can ping it again

Instead of giving you a time penalty, it should slow you down depending on the type of infraction. I think the whole penalty system should be revamped. That's why I end up in lobbies with mostly friends.

your so right, and its so frustrating! there seems to be no logic to the penalty system. ive been hit from behind and then penalised cos some idiot cant break in time! the penalty system needs a major overall.

i think there should be an incremental penalty for those whu constantly barge and ram others. once you hit someone you should go ghost for 5 secs. then for every additional hit/barge an additional 5 secs. GT needs to take a draconian attitude to bad play if its going to play most of its races online!

I know you`ve all said it but im so frustrated by the penalty system. it does not penalise enough those that constantly infringe the rules, and on some occasions benefits those that drive stupidly. Im fed up of being pushed off the track by some idiot when ive been trying my best to be good. Please GT sort this out. :confused:

I'm loving GT Sport but boy this penalty system needs sorting. I've had several examples listed below, I'm going into online races wanting to get my SR up and while I respect Polyphony's attempt to weed out the idiots, in it's current state, it's not working.

• Leading on the final lap on Kyoto, come to the chicane before the last corner, get rammed from behind (clearly deliberately) and pushed onto the grass and I get a 4 second penalty, guy who rammed me goes on to win with no penalty.
  • Countless times I've gone through a ghosted car (because they have lost it or whatever) and I get a penalty
  • Dragons tail, final corner, penalty for running slightly wide on to the grass, you can't gain an advantage on the outside of a corner exit by going on the grass :rolleyes:
  • Driving on Brands Hatch Indy, 5 lap race, a guy in a Porsche RSR is ramming me and other drivers, must have seen him doing so 5 or 6 times, I finish 4th he finishes 2nd with no penalty time added at the end :confused:
  • Several examples of the track limits not been clear, the kerbs at Maggiore are an example where you can get a penalty but are clearly on the kerb

These are just a few examples and I hope they look closely at this system because, as it stands, it will likely deter me in the long run if cheats and idiots can still ruin the game for others. I would say the ghosting works pretty well though most of the time.

I'm really hearing a lot of frustration from the penalty system. I agree that Polyphony should address this. For me, I'll tread lightly in the sport races. A lot of guys are putting bad qualifying times in then racing really well & winning.

Use radar on MFD for more vision, not useless map.
There was a lot of space between you and apex, gift for that guy.
That guy was quicker.
That guy got SR down after this situation too.

Hey i just finished a race 1st place, i started at 2nd and overtook the 1st on dragon tail hairpin clean. We had no contact. Anyway at the end i got a 6 Second Penalty and droped to 3rd. How does this penalty system work? I thought its only when u crash or have contact with others? You can watch the replay ingame, (25.10.2017 1:35 my name is Chiprunner_).

I had some VERY stupid penalty's also. The exemple in the video is one of the penalty's i already had on the game.
In this case Chiprunner_ had the racing line. The other guy just bumped in to him, going too fast and as seen with no space or racing line to pass....

The problem is that the game see it as the other guy got bumped on insede of the coner. And is the ONLY thing that its sow, not the other wat arround. The Online gaming rules change very little from other GT's. The game doesn't track all the cars position, speed, breaking our aceleration points, so its very easy to get penalty point and track panalty time....

Its very frustaiting for players that try to have as little contact as we can... The deveper have to do something about that..

How came GT Sport as the other GT title have a "thing" that they are so proud of ....... that is GT ACADEMY... if they encorage the gamer to have contacts like this... and let them get away with it. What are they trying to teach .... Go race in real life and "Carmagetddon" everybody out of you way ???????

With so many games with a complex online penalty system line "Sim racing", GT Developers have alot to lear abaut Racing, Racing lines and penaltys.

The only regret that i have is that they had some many years developing this game... and forgot the most important thing in the game .... ONLINE RACING and RACING EXPERIENCE.

- 1 second penalty at the end is due your given penalty wasn't over in time you crossed the finish line (0,210s left)
- 10 second penalty in the last corner was due to you crossed the line due the spin, so you were all over the track, and the Taipei guy was quicker and in better driving line, even it was unintentional from you, but in general there is a rule - the more dangerous you drive, the bigger the penalty for you is.
- the Taipei guy, which "rammed" you got penalty aswell, 3 seconds at the finish line (if you were 0,7s fater in the finish you would end up ahead of him)

PS: i comment only what i am seeing in that video, nothing personal against you or against anyone. It is a game, there is no guy sitting around, watching all races and choses whether the accident deserves penalty or not. Sure, there are many penalties which seem to be given really oddly, but the game has a code which says - if you do this, i'll give you penalty, if you repeat, you get more...

PS2: to the topic of this thread - 6s penalty for no contact, you must have missed some corner (there were more than 2 tyres out of the rumble strips) really close enough - as mentioned above, game searches certain situations defined by the code.

PS3: For all said i agree with all of you guys with the fact that penalty system should be remastered as even i got some weird looking penalties (not yet in daily races though).

PS4: As I said - no ofence to anyone! Peace with you guys and wish you best of luck in the races.

- 1 second penalty at the end is due your given penalty wasn't over in time you crossed the finish line (0,210s left)
- 10 second penalty in the last corner was due to you crossed the line due the spin, so you were all over the track, and the Taipei guy was quicker and in better driving line, even it was unintentional from you, but in general there is a rule - the more dangerous you drive, the bigger the penalty for you is.
- the Taipei guy, which "rammed" you got penalty aswell, 3 seconds at the finish line (if you were 0,7s fater in the finish you would end up ahead of him)

PS: i comment only what i am seeing in that video, nothing personal against you or against anyone. It is a game, there is no guy sitting around, watching all races and choses whether the accident deserves penalty or not. Sure, there are many penalties which seem to be given really oddly, but the game has a code which says - if you do this, i'll give you penalty, if you repeat, you get more...

PS2: to the topic of this thread - 6s penalty for no contact, you must have missed some corner (there were more than 2 tyres out of the rumble strips) really close enough - as mentioned above, game searches certain situations defined by the code.

PS3: For all said i agree with all of you guys with the fact that penalty system should be remastered as even i got some weird looking penalties (not yet in daily races though).

PS4: As I said - no ofence to anyone! Peace with you guys and wish you best of luck in the races.

I have to disagree with you... take a good look, and stop the video at 0:13s, you will see the 86 bumps Chiprunner_ car when is car is very close to the gravel, if you take a closer look you ill see that Chiprunner_ car is left from the race line but NOT on the gravel, in the Bumper view the car width is from the left of the speed display to the right of the rpm display.

Even ... and i say EVEN that the 86 car was faster the Chiprunner_, we only had 2 things that we could do at that given moment, brake or take a outside line. You can't push the other car away to gain a racing line. Has i sad before the problem is that the panalty code doesn't track the cars ONLY the contacts, that means that the 86 been "hit", Chiprunner_ get the penalty.

I don't know Chiprunner_ but in my case i have been given penalty's too many time for the sabe reason... yesterday playing at Nurburging GT i was given a 10 sec penalty because i turn in the race line at turn 1 ( the harpin coner ) and another guy bump me.... i was send to the gravel, given a 10 sec penalty and the othe guy that used my car to stop continued the race finishing 3... i drop from 3 to 12 place.

It is definitely a bug now, I got a huge 10 second penalty on Blue Moon speedway N200 coming out of the last corner with no contact or other happening whatsoever.

First time I got one it was on a real track so I figured I must have run too wide (though it was a weird 20 seconds!)
Same here I won the race and when it finished I ended up 8th and had no contact with any other car at all

Overall bad penalty system but cutting the track seems worse than bumping...?

gear1420, doing ANYTHING that makes you gain time or a position on the other playes is WRONG.

Polyphony Digital
, calls the GT Sport the Ultimate Racing Experience, but how can you have the letter Experience on something when you have problems like this ..... if Polyphony Digital took the time to REALLY develope the online game ...than making a 9GB photo add-on, maybe....MAYBE they could earn the title of Ultimate Racing Experience.

Definition of EXPERIENCE : "an event or occurrence which leaves an impression on someone."

Polyphony Digital
is still a LONG way from this.

I have been having problems with getting hit by anothe r car and I'm the one getting a penalty!!!???

Now I see WHY I'm getting some of the penalties, BUT I still do NOT understand, that when I'm on the racing line, braking into a 90 degree or hairpin corner, like a good little racer boy ;-) Getting rammed from behind or even T-boned, because the other racer don't brake or cuts of corner or whatsoever, then I'm the one who gets penalized???
And sometimes i don't understand, that when someone tries to overtake you on the inside of a corner and you accidentally hit each other, and he looses control of his car you get 10 sec penalty, and then sometimes, if you, in a bit of road rage, rams somebody so hard they almost go into next race ;-) nothing happens???

Last edited:
I just did two Daily Races and am really p*ssed off at this point system... I'm trying my best to drive the safest possible even if that means not winning and when I get rammed I get penalties and in one turn where I avoided any contact and the walls I was all smiles seeing everyone else crash into the wall and I got 9 sec. penalty while the others just raced away... I never understood how they could all ram against a wall and each other and NOT have penalties while I ended up racing clean and getting 2x 9 seconds for something I still can't understand...

The annoying thing is that I had an A SR and now it went down to B -___- So basically, I'm just gonna back off the Sport mode until some changes are made because leveling down when you race clean just isn't worth it!

Back