60GB Fat PS3 turn off

  • Thread starter Thread starter robert1
  • 12 comments
  • 2,125 views
Messages
603
United Kingdom
England, Kent
Messages
Robertjh90903
Well, since I got GT6 every now and again it just turns off, this can be after minutes or hours, sometimes can play all day and it wont happen at all. but you just get that blinking red light like when it over heats, but its not hot? and this only happens in gt6, never in GTA V or even GT5. it always turns back on fine straight away and can keep playing, but obviously annoying. was wondering if this is common? its a release day model, actually one of the ones that came with a 19 blade fan! :P I have replaced the thermal paste and cleaned it all at weekend but it just happened again.
 
This is pure conjecture on my part as I have no tangible evidence to support my theory but I suspect that what you are suffering are the early signs of terminal failure.

I had a 60gb Fat that I bought shortly after they were released and it was a reliable and trusty machine . It finally YLOD'd 2 weeks before GT6 came out and I did a re-flow of the motherboard and got it working again. The cause that was stated as a common reason why it YLOD'd was that the solder connections on the CPU and graphics chips had degraded over time through heating/cooling and eventually they failed completely.

I know that the graphics in GT6 are pushing the PS3 technology to the limit so I wonder if it's causing excessive heat in your chips and exposing the degradation in the connections. When my Fat boy went it just died as you have described except It never got going again.

I sincerely hope this is not the issue but given the age of all the Fat Boys now it's probably coming to the end of it's life :(

As a suggestion, make sure that your Fat Boy gets plenty of air. Some folks have suggested standing them on end i.e. in the vertical position rather than horizontal...can't really comment on whether this actually works but I wish you luck 👍

BTW: I bought a new box to replace my Fat boy, just couldn't trust it again after it crashed.
 
I think there was a topic about this, you'd have to put it in a special way (make sure there's no dust in the ps3 and make it
Lay vertical )

Try that , if that doesn't work I think the only way is to get either a cheap slim ps3 or get a fan that could cool the ps3 , not sure where your ps3 is located (in or out a closet ,
Room temp etc)
 
I think there was a topic about this, you'd have to put it in a special way (make sure there's no dust in the ps3 and make it
Lay vertical )

Try that , if that doesn't work I think the only way is to get either a cheap slim ps3 or get a fan that could cool the ps3 , not sure where your ps3 is located (in or out a closet ,
Room temp etc)


Good shout @Dutchyfutch 👍 I went searching and found that thread I think you are referring to click > here <
 
GT5prologue killed my FAT 5 years ago.
since repaired, GT6 killed my FAT a few weeks ago.

I think it had its time (motherboard/CPU/thermal compound gave out, I don't keep my own computers for that long.

but the PS3 did a controllable shutdown it seems, when it did die, and it was exactly when I hit the X/Back button from hosting in an online lobby, I thought it was a software glitch at first notice, it just didn't come back on, didn't eject either. I rescued the disc inside with my (hands) jaws of life
 
ah damn :/ guess its had a good run, just very very tight on money :P hopefully will hole up a little longer.
was praying it was a game problem
 
ah damn :/ guess its had a good run, just very very tight on money :p hopefully will hole up a little longer.
was praying it was a game problem

Hope it does hang on for you but do try anything that will help keep the machine cool, it can't do any harm 👍
 
Hope it does hang on for you but do try anything that will help keep the machine cool, it can't do any harm 👍
thanks :P
and will do, though just before Christmas hoping my clutch would hold out till my student loan....exploded a few days before taking out some of the gear box aswell....I hope my luck improves :P
 
I have my trusty 60GB Gran Turismo simulation machine (commonly known as PS3) standing on end.

It has stood on end since I bought it in 2008 and has been used almost entirely for GT.

I always quit the game then switch off as I have once had the dreaded double beep thing and it scared the beejees out of me.

Just keep it clean around the vents and as cool as possible as everyone says. Good luck.
 
I take my PS3 out every 6 weeks and blow it out with compressed air. If it's dust related its certainly worth the $5 can of air to get it sorted. I have also installed a 120mm pc fan in the back of the cabinet where it lives. I have had this old 80gig fatty since the 80's came out and it runs at least 4 hrs a day 7 days a week.
 
I take my PS3 out every 6 weeks and blow it out with compressed air. If it's dust related its certainly worth the $5 can of air to get it sorted. I have also installed a 120mm pc fan in the back of the cabinet where it lives. I have had this old 80gig fatty since the 80's came out and it runs at least 4 hrs a day 7 days a week.
yeh I have an air compressor (technically for air brushing but never been used for that :P ) and yeh its very clean inside and has brand new artic silver 5 thermal compound on it, its in a farily open area but I will move it and see if it makes any difference, but when it turns off, it normally doesn't even feel that warm
 
I had the fat 40 GB. It die 3 weeks after I got GT6. It was the flashing red light thing.

If I were you, I would back up everything you have in it right now, just to be safe.

Good luck
 
I had the fat 40 GB. It die 3 weeks after I got GT6. It was the flashing red light thing.

If I were you, I would back up everything you have in it right now, just to be safe.

Good luck

in lieu of my new PS3 slim, I restarted my GT6 career, and waited for 200% login to do all the seasonals.
17million credits ! I think they are mostly expired by now though. I'm holding on to 10mil CR from here on out, one never knows what will appear that costs twice that much that will have the entire GTNation grinding.
 
Back