Kent

Retired
Staff Emeritus
United States
Southern Louisiana
GTP_Kent
The title says most of it...

I'm buying a PS3 relatively soon.
Sam's Club (that big warehouse store) has a 60GB model for about $575. On the other hand, Gamestop will have the 80GB bundled with MGS4 for only $500.

I'm torn on which to buy.
The 60GB has the backwards compatibility I want but the price is nasty. :ouch:
The 80GB has more space and a better price, plus it comes bundled with MGS4 (although I'm not too worried about that... I'm buying a PS3 for GT5 and RE5).

So what do you guys think?

More over, what sort of details might I be missing?
Info on the differences between the two machines would be great.
Also, if desired, let me know what you all think of the 40GB (I don't know much about it but I just figured it wouldn't be as good a buy as the 80 since it's only a hundred dollars less yet half the size).

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

Btw, let me know if there is a better thread for this discussion (I have no problem merging this thread if there is a thread on the subject already).

Are you going to keep your PS2? Trust me, you don't want to play PS1 or PS2 games on your PS3. I never do anymore. I play those games on the PS2.

Go for the 80GB with MGS4. You can always sell the game if you don't want it, and make an extra $50. Although 20GB extra doesn't seem like much, you'll need it if you're anything like me... (music, demos, games, pictures, movies, videos, trailers, etc.) You use up a lot of that space in a hurry.

Also, if desired, let me know what you all think of the 40GB (I don't know much about it but I just figured it wouldn't be as good a buy as the 80 since it's only a hundred dollars less yet half the size).

If you're worried about space you can get a 120 GB for about $70 and put it in the PS3. Or you could use an external drive to store extra stuff on it.

It has 2 USB ports instead of 4 like the 60/80 gig versions. It isn't backwards compatible and it doesn't have memory card readers.

The only problem I have with it is the PS2 backwards compatibility would be useful since now I'm playing some PS2 games and wouldn't have to move the PS2 to play on the HDTV. But I doubt the graphics would look much better anyway.

Wiki has a very easy to read chart showing the key differences between all the different PS3 configurations:
That should give you most of what you need to know right there.

Personally, I wouldn't get to worked up over compatibility, as worst case scenario you can always pick up a PS2 for dirt cheap, and all version will play PS1 games.

You can also easily, and for not very much money replace the HDD in a PS3 with a much larger one.

As for USB ports, I know I am almost always using all four for things like:
  • External USB Hard Drive
  • PS Eye
  • Wireless USB Keyboard & Mouse
  • Recharging Controllers
  • Recharging Bluetooth Headset
  • Transferring Files to and from USB Thumb Drives
  • iPod
  • Camcorder/Cameras
Now I know you can just swap out these as needed, but it's so much easier to have them all plugged in and not worry about it. I also know you can get USB Port extensions, turning one port into several, but I've also heard they can impact performance if multiple devices are running at the same time in the same extension ports.

The 40GB is also missing the Flash card readers, which I have used quite often to quickly transfer files from out cameras and camcorders to the PS3, but again, it isn't necessary as you can always buy a USB Flash memory card reader.

One thing to consider is the version of processor in terms of cooler operation temperatures, and thus possibly a lower operating noise. The new PS3's (40GB and 80GB are supposedly now using the 65nm chips instead of the older 90nm chips. There is no performance advantage between the two, only that the 65nm chips are less expensive to make and produce less heat during operation.

Hope that helps shed some light on the subject and helps you make a more informed decision. 👍

I would say the larger 80GB one since it seems more games are going to start going to loading a portion of it onto the hard drive. 80GB, while quite large for the console world, will get filled up quicker then you think. However, I do believe it is possible to upgrade your hard drive to a large size as needed.

The NTSC 60GB has the PS2's EE to run the ps2 and ps1 games while NTSC 80GB does software.

If I were you I would fetch the 80GB deal.

I'd say get the $500 because of the great price

They're not making PS2 games anymore So i see no reason to need backwards compatibility if you already have a PS2. besides, the 80gb has a form of bc that should play most games

80GB definitly

They're not making PS2 games anymore
:odd:

Playstation 2 Current and Upcoming Games

the PS2 is still being made and selling very well and there have been games released recently, and several are scheduled for release for the PS2 that are not currently available on the PS3. In addition, some multi-platform games are actually selling better for the PS2 than next-gen consoles... so I wouldn't be striking the death bell quite so soon on the PS2.

That said, PS2's are also really inexpensive, so I still would not personally put a high priority on backward compatibility... although as long as you don't get the 40GB version, it's a mute point.

EDIT: I know the PS2 was handily outselling the 360 since the 360 came out, but with the exception of the last two months, it looks like the PS2 has been beating both the PS3 and 360 for several of the last 52-week sales periods:

ConsoleSalesPast12months.jpg

If you combine both PS2 and PS3 hardware and software sales, Sony certainly still has a commanding market share in the console sector.

I wouldnt wear your lazer out playing PS2 games on PS3 if you have a perfectly good PS2 lying around... I would go with the 80GB because you're getting better value for money plus MGS4. If the price was lower on the 60GB then I would go for that...

Robin

Once the 360 was released they stopped production on the xbox games(first console) which was a silly move.

Not really, as far as I know the sales of the Xbox games were slipping while the PS2 ones were not. I think you'll see PS2 games for a few more years until a major price drop happens with the PS3...and then I hope they start putting the classics on PSN to download.

Honestly the PS2 is probably one of the best consoles ever made, I still play mine quite often even though I have a PS3, 360, and a Wii. I don't know if I could ever part with it to be honest.

In addition, some multi-platform games are actually selling better for the PS2 than next-gen consoles... so I wouldn't be striking the death bell quite so soon on the PS2.
I wanted to be sure I wasn't mistaken about this so I did a quick search for video game sales of recent popular multi-platform titles:

Madden NFL 08
  • 2.39m (360)
  • 2.14m (PS2)
  • 0.84m (PS3)
  • 0.67m (Wii)
FIFA 08
  • 2.59m (PS2)
  • 1.34m (PS3)
  • 1.16m (360)
  • 0.57m (Wii)
NBA Live 08
  • 0.51m (PS2)
  • 0.46m (360)
  • 0.37m (PS3)
  • 0.09m (Wii)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
  • 3.09m (PS2)
  • 1.48m (PS3)
  • 0.99m (360)
  • 0.45m (Wii)
Tony Hawk Proving Ground
  • 0.42m (PS2)
  • 0.33m (360)
  • 0.23m (PS3)
  • 0.13m (Wii)
The Simpsons Game
  • 0.97m (PS2)
  • 0.75m (360)
  • 0.67m (Wii)
  • 0.40m (PS3)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  • 3.89m (PS2)
  • 2.90m (360)
  • 2.54m (Wii)
  • 1.23m (PS3)
Need for Speed: ProStreet
  • 1.92m (PS2)
  • 1.31m (360)
  • 1.19m (PS3)
  • 0.48m (Wii)

Just these games alone total close to 40 million copies sold, 40% of those were for the PS2 version, by far the most of any of the consoles... which isn't hard to understand when you consider how many PS2's are out there.

Combined the PS2 & PS3 sales account for nearly 60% of these sales. The sales of the 360 versions accounted for about 25%, and the Wii only about 15%.

Based on these and other figures, I don't see Sony and game developers ending their support for the PS2 any time soon... at least not for another couple years.

The argument of backwards compatability being moot because of how inexpensive the PS2 is does not make too much sense financiallly when one looks at it from a dollars and cents point of view. If you have to buy the PS2 and the PS3 together in order to play all games then you have spent more than the cost of the 60 gig PS3 by itself. I owned a brand new PS2 slim when I bought my PS3. I bought the PS2 at Wally World for $113( get a 10% discount because my wife works there) and then we got our tax return back and so she told me to go ahead and look for a PS3. I immediately decided to look for a 60 gig PS3 only, no others as I planned on using it for all my gaming and if I kept the PS2 it would be hooked up in the kids's room. I actually ended up taking it back to Wally World because it wouldn't play DVDs to save its life. A $75 price difference isnot a lot when you think about the price of a new PS2

If you already own a PS2 get the 80 gig PS3. I will admit the 60 gig PS3 runs hot, My wife just got me a intercooler for mine for my B Day, which has a big fan on top and four smaller fans that go on the back of the PS3, and if the CPU/HDD area continues to be hot when it runs I am going to buy the one that plugs into the USB port that blow the air into the console from the front. I must say that I like the way it works because it has variable speed fans

As for storage space I bought a 120 gig HDD for it but decided to leave the 60 gigger in place and bought an enclosure for the 120 gig HDD. I like only having one console, it makes things much easier. I mainly play racing games and sadly at this point in time the best offerings for that type is TOCA3 and GT4, for the PS2. So far the PS3 doesn't have any comparable titles...until Grid's final debut in June.

Personally I prefer hardware compatability over software concerning the ability to play PS2 games. I've heard the 80 gig is kind of glitchy and likes to hang up, which for me would be irritating. I can't tell any difference between the PS2 or PS3 during game play on TOCA or GT4, and I would imagine thats because of the EE processor, I do like the fact that the mem cards are internal, and the controllers are wireless, and again, why have two consoles when you can have one that will do it all. I paid $550 for mine and it was used when I bought it. I paid that willingly and would do it again for the 60 gig... no regrets. If you can get a new one for that I'd say do it. If I could I would.:cheers:

Thanks everyone, this all really helps me get a perspective on the situation.

I didn't mention it but the 80gb deal I mentioned will also come with the DS3 controller (not really sure what that means but it sounded like a selling point when I asked the sales rep).

Unfortunately, the 80GB doesn't seem to be available right now and I wouldn't expect it until late June (according to the sale rep at gamestop).

None the less, I think I'll go with the 80GB.
All the deals and selling points mentioned above by you guys will play a major part. However, I'm also making this decision based on the fact that I just don't care to have backwards compatibility. It sounds nice but the only game I'd really be interested in keeping is Ace Combat 5 and that's just not enough by itself to warrant buying a different system.

Whatever the case, I'll let you guys know when I buy a system and I really appreciate the help from this thread. 👍

Let me know if there are any other thoughts you guys have... Whether it be general discussion about the software used in each machine, the controllers used, or simply the level of user friendliness, I'd love to hear anything and everything! :cheers:

I didn't mention it but the 80gb deal I mentioned will also come with the DS3 controller (not really sure what that means but it sounded like a selling point when I asked the sales rep).

its a $55 SIXAXIS w/ rumble. some people even imported that controller for $70+ through play-asia

id rather buy a 80gb just for that alone

All the deals and selling points mentioned above by you guys will play a major part. However, I'm also making this decision based on the fact that I just don't care to have backwards compatibility.
Well, as it is, the 80GB is backward compatible, so even if it was important to you, you are good to go. 👍

its a $55 SIXAXIS w/ rumble. some people even imported that controller for $70+ through play-asia

id rather buy a 80gb just for that alone

Yeah, the Six Axis controller doesn't have rumble. Just recently they started selling the DualShock 3 controller in the US.

Thanks everyone, this all really helps me get a perspective on the situation.

Unfortunately, the 80GB doesn't seem to be available right now and I wouldn't expect it until late June (according to the sale rep at gamestop).

All the deals and selling points mentioned above by you guys will play a major part. However, I'm also making this decision based on the fact that I just don't care to have backwards compatibility. It sounds nice but the only game I'd really be interested in keeping is Ace Combat 5 and that's just not enough by itself to warrant buying a different system.

Whatever the case, I'll let you guys know when I buy a system and I really appreciate the help from this thread. 👍

Let me know if there are any other thoughts you guys have... Whether it be general discussion about the software used in each machine, the controllers used, or simply the level of user friendliness, I'd love to hear anything and everything! :cheers:

DS3 controller is like the PS2's DS2 rumble controller, which means the rumble will work for PS2 games and compatible PS3 games.

Yeah the standard controllers feel way light without the rumle motors and counterweights in them. They didn't have any local dual shock controllers where I'm at in the stores and I didn't feel like paying the extra $20 it would have cost to uy one on egay so I opted to just go ahead and y a second stock wireless controller while we still had the money to do so. I'm glad I did now ecause when one controller runs out of power I can put it on the charger and gra the other. I thought uying a charger stand was a better way to spend the extra 20 froghides. To be having rumble in a controller isn't as important to me as I mostly play racing games using a wheel, and the FFB of the DFP is tops anyway

I've never undersood why a controller that is light weight is a bad thing. I have both the original SIXAXIS controllers I got with my bundle over a year ago, and I bought a DS3 last month, and unless I want the rumble for the game I'm playing, I always use the original SIXAXIS for the added comfort. This is especially true for marathon test sessions on GT5P. 👍

I've never undersood why a controller that is light weight is a bad thing. I have both the original SIXAXIS controllers I got with my bundle over a year ago, and I bought a DS3 last month, and unless I want the rumble for the game I'm playing, I always use the original SIXAXIS for the added comfort. This is especially true for marathon test sessions on GT5P. 👍

It did help having a light controller playing an online COD4 GTP match for like 3 hours because my hands usually get tired and end up on my lap (DS2).. but with the sixaxis it was fine and wasnt tiring at all.

I guess there is good light and cheap light...

Robin

I think I got used to weight through the PSX and PS2 controllers. And I play a lot on the 360 so going to the Six Axis is a pretty big change. The Six Axis kind of lacks that feeling of having something in your hands.

I think I got used to weight through the PSX and PS2 controllers. And I play a lot on the 360 so going to the Six Axis is a pretty big change. The Six Axis kind of lacks that feeling of having something in your hands.

Thats what I thought at first, the old one that came with the console creaks and gives when you put twisting pressure on it where the new one does not. Compared to the old PSone controllers which don't it does say somehting about the build quality of newer things even if they are using the old design.

And if somoen wants to say something aout why someone would apply twisting pressure to one , think about what a controller goes through in the hands of quite a few people in the hands of an excited gamer in the heat of battle so to speak.

Thats what I thought at first, the old one that came with the console creaks and gives when you put twisting pressure on it where the new one does not.
I have to ask... when are you ever twisting your controllers? :eek:

I'm fairly certain there is absolutely no difference in the construction of the SIXAXIS and the DS3 other than the added rumble hardware. It has the exact same mold chassis, the same contact points, the exact same sticks and buttons. I think the added weight is simply giving a placebo effect in terms of "quality" build, as often weight is attributed to quality... which goes back to the 70's when "cheap" products were replacing more expensive metal versions... so heavier was assumed to be better.

Personally, seeing as it's something you have to hold, and possibly for a long time, the lighter the better.

I have to ask... when are you ever twisting your controllers? :eek:

I already addressed that, it simply goes to show the quality of the uild construction. and there are those people who really put a controller through hell in the heat of play. I know that that the lightness is due to the lack of counterweights and drive motors found in the older PS2 controllers, ut that doesn't change the fact that they are not as tight as the older controllers. Even the controller that came wit hthe PS2 slim I ought earlier this year was not as tight as the old grey controller from the PSone I have lying around.

Honestly the PS2 is probably one of the best consoles ever made,
Right behind the Commodore 64.

Seriously though, the BC was important to me as I didn't exactly have a ton of space for an extra console. It has paid off for me as I have bought a PS1 game and three PS2 games (Twisted Metal: Head On: Extra Twisted Edition and MGS: Essentials Collection) since getting my PS3. That doesn't count the PS1 for PS3/PSP games I have gotten from the PSN store.

And then getting the Dual Shock 3 was a godsend as it gave me back analog control for Metal Gear Solid. It's not as easy to be sneaky with the digital controls. Besides, the Psycho Mantis battle isn't nearly as cool without vibration.

Also, the PS3 makes it infinitely easier to quickly switch controller ports when necessary in MGS.

Seriously though, the BC was important to me as I didn't exactly have a ton of space for an extra console. It has paid off for me as I have bought a PS1 game and three PS2 games (Twisted Metal: Head On: Extra Twisted Edition and MGS: Essentials Collection) since getting my PS3. That doesn't count the PS1 for PS3/PSP games I have gotten from the PSN store.

I think all PS3s support PSX games.

People who live in America are lucky, as they can still buy a PS3 that has some form of PS2 compatibility. I really wish Sony did not stop selling the 60GB model in Australia last year. I ended up buying a 40GB at Christmas time, but am really missing the ability to play PS2 games on it. There are still so many PS2 games that I want to play; Ratchet and Clank series, DMC3, MGS3, God of War, etc.

I've been trying to find someone in Australia who will trade me their 60GB for my 40GB plus some extra money and Blu-rays, but no luck so far. I suppose I will just save up to buy one off eBay. :)

Anyway, I think you made the right decision buying the 80GB model Kent, it'll do everything you want and if you ever do get an itch to play some old classics, you'll be set!

Back