'60s American Cars (non-racing) Super Lap: Circuito di Roma / Reverse

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 82 comments
We should applaud the absurd more creative choices :lol:. As one not aiming for the ranks, I like to try out a few of the not so obvious - just makes things a bit more interesting.

I've used a horribly understeering C2 'Vette for a silver - needs some work to the setup and it will get gold, though it has nothing at the top of the rev range. I always liked the Cougar XR-7 in GT5 despite its appalling modelling, think I'll try that also.
The C2 has permanent understeer pretty much, I've tried briefly and there's very little you can do for it, shame really because that motor makes a mountain of torque. I was a fan of the XR-7 in gt5, bit of a shame it looks so bad now.

The C2 can be "fixed" with a rake and ARB set up. use the RH "glitch" and set them appart 10+ points set the ARB different by 3 stiffer to the rear and than soften the nose on the springs and dampers stiffen the tail and set the LSD Accel to higher setting and you should generate throttle induced oversteer.

The C2 can be "fixed" with a rake and ARB set up. use the RH "glitch" and set them appart 10+ points set the ARB different by 3 stiffer to the rear and than soften the nose on the springs and dampers stiffen the tail and set the LSD Accel to higher setting and you should generate throttle induced oversteer.
I found that you could either make it understeer a bit less or oversteer, it never really handles properly though. You could make it drivable perhaps but not fast

GT40 Anniversary killed it in one lap. Must have had a previous set up but can't remember who from. Thanks for the money PD.

Edit:

1:12.592 for 6th place, with Anniversary GT40

1:12.652 for 9th place with normal GT40

I made only a very few changes to the way the car comes, used same setup on both '66 GT40's.

Needs a better transmission ( I don't shift so really don't bother with trying different numbers) and I right foot Brake so the brake numbers won't work for everyone.

63 68
5.86 7.93
3 3
3 3
3 3
0.0 0.0
-.10 .05
9/16/20

205 max speed
Final Gear 3.550

Brakes 5/1
83.5% power
54kg @ -50
Weight reduction stage 3 and windows
50/105 downforce
I added a wing but dropped it to 105 and will probably remove it if I try any more laps.

Last edited:
1:12.652 for 9th place.

I made only a very few changes to the way the car comes.

Needs a better transmission ( I don't shift so really don't bother with trying different numbers) and I right foot Brake so the brake numbers won't work for everyone.

63 68
5.86 7.93
3 3
3 3
3 3
0.0 0.0
-.10 .05
9/16/20

205 max speed
Final Gear 3.550

Brakes 5/1
83.5% power
54kg @ -50
50/105 downforce
I added a wing but dropped it to 105 and will probably remove it if I try any more laps.

Thanks for sharing the tune. 👍
Had to check the LB before I could update OP to verify you tuned the Ford GT40 Mark 1 '66.
You might want to edit your post and add that info. ;)

Edit:

1:12.592 for 6th place, with Anniversary GT40

1:12.652 for 9th place with normal GT40

I made only a very few changes to the way the car comes, used same setup on both '66 GT40's.

63 68
5.86 7.93
3 3
3 3
3 3
0.0 0.0
-.10 .05
9/16/20

205 max speed
Final Gear 3.550

Brakes 5/1
83.5% power
54kg @ -50
50/105 downforce

Great tune 👍

1'12.573 and 8th place for now.

Using standard car, with LSD decel at 5 and no rear wing, otherwise as per tune above.

Last edited:
Just got 209th in a bone sock GT40. I'll buy a second car tomorrow to tune up, i'm feeling confident about a top 100.

Oh, on another note, this ain't half fun :D

On my third lap, I'm 9th in the world! That will last about 3 minutes ;/ 1:19:789. I'd never run this track backwards before. I credit Motor City Hami's GT40 Mark I '66 for this.

Edit: I think I could easily take off another 2 seconds with some practice.

I used the Ford GT40 Mark I '66 with the Motor City Tune also to get gold pretty easily. I also got gold with the same tune applied to the 15th AE version of the car even though that had a few less BHP. Note I changed the FGR to 3.500 in both cases for the reversed Roma circuit. Unlike yourself I am a very average driver, just happy to gold it.

First i tried the Shelby Mustang 350 with 500pp without any luck on gold, but it was good enough for silver, switched to non tuned Ford GT40 1966 turned the power down from 521pp to 500pp and won gold after 3 laps, so if anybody struggles and have the GT40, GT40 15th Anniversary edition or can afford to buy it, i would recommend to use that car, you will have a greater chance to win.

Last edited:
Switched back to my pink GT40, 1:12.479 for 7th. I spin when off throttle with the decel at 5, no idea why.

That's right foot braking for you ;)

If you learnt to LFB, you could overlap throttle and brake and stop spinning out :P

First i tried the Shelby Mustang 350 with 500pp without any luck on gold, but it was good enough for silver, switched to non tuned Ford GT40 1966 turned the power down from 521pp to 500pp and won gold after 3 laps, so if anybody struggles and have the GT40, GT40 15th Anniversary edition or can afford to buy it, i would recommend to use that car, you will have a greater chance to win.
I used a modified Praiano GT5 tune on the Shelby GT350 and made gold after a few red lap brushes with the walls. For those of you who don't want to use massively de-tuned race cars. Still tricky on that right- right-left on the cobblestones at the start.

I used a modified Praiano GT5 tune on the Shelby GT350 and made gold after a few red lap brushes with the walls. For those of you who don't want to use massively de-tuned race cars. Still tricky on that right- right-left on the cobblestones at the start.

Yes, that could be the reason why i only got silver with the Shelby GT350 it was not tuned only added power, it was very loose and it was like driving on ice.

This is a disappointing challenge being a Mopar fan - there are no Mopar muscle cars included in this race - ok sure a Plymouth Ghia which no one has ever heard of - where are the early Chargers, Cudas, Roadrunner, GTX, Swingers. I guess I'll be racing a Shelby

The C2 has permanent understeer pretty much, I've tried briefly and there's very little you can do for it, shame really because that motor makes a mountain of torque. I was a fan of the XR-7 in gt5, bit of a shame it looks so bad now.

I gave up on the C2 in the end: I got something that was OK (an improvement at least), and was still almost a second off gold. @Otaliema, there was never a problem with throttle induced oversteer at 500pp :lol:. It lacked top speed as much as anything, may be longer gears to keep in the power might help but all the poke is very low in the rev range.

Trying this with the Plymouth ghia roadster 1960
no luck
I really can't tune. it just oversteers constantly.
wrong car for the job? or wrong tuner? ;)

I was intrigued by the Plymouth so tried the one I used for the Willow Springs TT (my own setup). Quite a lot of laps and tweaking yielded a 1:19.555 in the end. It is good for at least another 0.5 but it is pretty wild and a screw up can easily send you into the barrier. Very smooth inputs, early braking and only accelerate in a straight line. Oddly enjoyable (for the masochist :crazy:).

I can post the tune if you want a go, but it comes with a public health warning :lol:. Though I was using DS3 and feathering the throttle a lot, it might be easier with a wheel and pedals.

Then I got a new Mercury Cougar from the dealership, gave it a quick tune with a long diff to keep it hitting the big lump of torque. This was a breath of fresh air after the previous two outings - nicely balanced and actual turn-in rather than the feeling of steering with a tiller. Five laps gave me around 1:19.3xx.

Also @DolHaus, they have tidied the model considerably, but there are still a few jaggies.

This is a fun TT once you get your head around the racing line at Rome - always takes me a while to get back into it.

I gave up on the C2 in the end: I got something that was OK (an improvement at least), and was still almost a second off gold. @Otaliema, there was never a problem with throttle induced oversteer at 500pp :lol:. It lacked top speed as much as anything, may be longer gears to keep in the power might help but all the poke is very low in the rev range.

I was intrigued by the Plymouth so tried the one I used for the Willow Springs TT (my own setup). Quite a lot of laps and tweaking yielded a 1:19.555 in the end. It is good for at least another 0.5 but it is pretty wild and a screw up can easily send you into the barrier. Very smooth inputs, early braking and only accelerate in a straight line. Oddly enjoyable (for the masochist :crazy:).

I can post the tune if you want a go, but it comes with a public health warning :lol:. Though I was using DS3 and feathering the throttle a lot, it might be easier with a wheel and pedals.

Then I got a new Mercury Cougar from the dealership, gave it a quick tune with a long diff to keep it hitting the big lump of torque. This was a breath of fresh air after the previous two outings - nicely balanced and actual turn-in rather than the feeling of steering with a tiller. Five laps gave me around 1:19.3xx.

Also @DolHaus, they have tidied the model considerably, but there are still a few jaggies.

This is a fun TT once you get your head around the racing line at Rome - always takes me a while to get back into it.

I too gave the Plymouth Ghia a go using my Willow spings TT tune. Could only manage a 1:20.553 with it.
Also a DS3 user but not an good tuner.

lol, public health warning. I'll sign the waiver.
I'd like to give your Ghia tune a go. I'll post my meager attempt of a Cougar tune in exchange.

Ran the 65 shelby GT350 with my attempt at a tune, that yeilded me a 1:17.263.
I was suprized by the Cougar as it ran a 1:17.132. and a very fun ride.

@Woodski_427

As I said I'm not a good tuner, A friend recommended I give the Cougar a go and I'm very glad he did. It's a fun car that I would have otherwise overlooked.
I'm sure the are much better tunes for this car. but any thread could use more tunes.

'67 Mercury Cougar XR-7.
Rome reverse 60's American car
500pp Sport hard tires
387 hp 1,221kg 491 ft-lb 3.15 kg/hp

Parts added
Custom suspension
Racing brakes
Custom transmission
Adjustable Differential
Triple plate clutch
Carbon drive shaft
Sport computer
Sport exhaust
Iso exhaust manifold
Intake manifold
Weight reduction 3
Carbon hood
Window weight reduction

F R
127 / 127
4.20 / 5.20
4 / 4
3 / 3
3 / 3
0.0 / 0.0
0.05 / 0.00

Brakes 5/6

Diff.
5/10/20

Power limiter
99.9%

Ballast
60kg @ +50

Weight distibution
52:48

Transmission
Set final to 5.500
Max speed to 99mph (min.)

Set gears

Reset final

Last edited:
Geezer Club Rocks! All members streaking:lol: in this event with our fastest time at 1:13:2 for the moment. I'm struggling but enjoying chasing some inspiring ghosts. If you're 60 or over and would like to join us send a FR to geezer1791.👍

I too gave the Plymouth Ghia a go using my Willow spings TT tune. Could only manage a 1:20.553 with it.
Also a DS3 user but not an good tuner.

lol, public health warning. I'll sign the waiver.
I'd like to give your Ghia tune a go. I'll post my meager attempt of a Cougar tune in exchange.

Ran the 65 shelby GT350 with my attempt at a tune, that yeilded me a 1:17.263.
I was suprized by the Cougar as it ran a 1:17.132. and a very fun ride.

The Cougar is really quite balanced I find. I'll give your tune a try.

I'll post up my Plymouth tune tomorrow uk time. Likewise, I am no great tuner!

Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster '60
500pp Sports Hard
ABS 1

Power
Sports ECU
Engine Stage 2
Semi Racing Exhaust
Manifold
Sports Cat
Supercharger
Intake

Power Limiter 96.5%

Body
Weight reduction Stage 3
Ballast 28Kg @50

Full custom suspension
RH: 112 115
Spring Rate: 6.60 5.70
Damper Comp: 4 4
Damper Ext: 5 5
ARB: 4 6
Camber 0 0
Toe: -0.08 0.15
BB 5 5

Drivtrain
Triple Plate Clutch
Carbon Driveshaft

Full custom Diff'
Initial: 7
Accel: 8
Brake: 18

Full custom Transmission:
Can't remember exactly what I did :dopey:, I think I just set used the default numbers and adjusted from there.

Max speed 180 mph
1st 3.885
2nd 2.531
3rd 1.797
4th 1.357
5th 1.076
Final 3.600

This tune is posted up for @waukazoo and a bit of fun if anyone wants a challenge. It is a bit of a wild ride; you'll needs smooth inputs, brake early, only hit the gas when you are straight.

Also watch out for understeer on entry, especially if you are off the line - best to let off the gas a bit, or tap the brakes to point the nose.

It has good straight line speed though: I was hitting 156 mph on the S/F straight and braking just before the 200m marker.

If you use manual gears: try shifting around 8100/8200 as the power drops off to the red line.

It was good for 1:19.5 in my hands. Good luck!

Last edited:
1:13.5Xx/6xx. I think .200 are reachable in the infield, and if I nail the last left hander, I'm under 1:13. I'm using @shaunm80 setup it as solid tune, can warmly recommend it.

1:13.5Xx/6xx. I think .200 are reachable in the infield, and if I nail the last left hander, I'm under 1:13. I'm using @shaunm80 setup it as solid tune, can warmly recommend it.
I think your secretly one of those aliens who can pull out amazing times naturally! :) Your time is about 3 seconds quicker than mine! I admit, my DS3 controller seems to be on its way out but certainly nowhere near 3 seconds broken. You are extremely quick!!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back