7th Generation Consoles - Best and Worst

• Thread starter Earth
  • 42 comments
Again, what did Sony lose.. Sales are nothing but fanboy fuel. #Fact: PS3 has been a successful console. As you can see if you read any of this thread no one cares about console sales...... just the experiences they've gotten from them.

What. Sales are everything.

Sony is a company -not charity- and the "console wars" is about who sales the most.

To me the best without a doubt is God of War and the Transformers cybertron series.

The worst is the high price for consoles and new games. Also the fact that most games are made for Xbox 360 then ported to PS3 so that the quality isn't as good.

What. Sales are everything.

Sony is a company -not charity- and the "console wars" is about who sales the most.
This still doesn't explained what exactly Sony "lost." Sony's financial woes overall are largely irrelevant to this discussion about Sony's Computer Entertainment division; and that helpful objective financial data available in 5 seconds in Google tells me that SCE is doing a damn sight better than any of the the rest of the company.

Last edited:
Market share it what they lost, big time.

The market has also changed drastically since 2000, and Sony made it clear when they launched the PS3 that they knew it wouldn't repeat the PS2's dominance anyway. The only thing that has been a disaster for SCE lately where it was clear that they had no idea what they were doing with it is the Vita; but the PS3 has been doing quite well since 2009.

"Well" as in still losing money in all the ps3 cycle, which is awful considering they were the very biggest company on this particular market.

"Well" as in still losing money in all the ps3 cycle, which is awful considering they were the very biggest company on this particular market.

In the end the PS3 wil outsell the 360 by huge margins, and I imagine they will have made much more money from it then microsoft has. Sony has long term plans for their consoles. They just now stopped making PS2 consoles. I imagine the PS3 will be the same and be made for another 5 or 6 years, while the 360 will probably be dead by then end of 2014.

For me though, I really was dissapointed with the PS3 and if they don't completely overhaul the PSN I probably won't buy a PS4. It is just way to big of a pain to play with friends on the PS3. It will be a few of the new Xbox 720s for sport games, and a steam box for my older kid so he can get into PC gaming this next go around. I'm really hoping the steam box takes off and gets some of my friends into PC gaming and I can just forget about consoles for awhile.

Best

Assassin's Creed series
GTA 5. Yes it is flawed, but man is it Great

Worst
So Much DLC That woud be available, where these games released last generation.

Patches, patches, patches. Today it Seems impossible to release a finished game.

No, "well" as in for 2010 and 2011 the Game division posted profits similar to those of 2003 and 2004 (and much greater than those of 2005); despite the problems with the hacking attempt, earthquake in Japan, the flood in Thailand and disastrous PS Vita sales (which have only been more and more of a drain as PS2 and PSP sales drop and are causing the division's quarterly earnings to go all over the map).

Oh really, are you psychic?

Given that Sony sold them at a loss for nearly four years I doubt that.

They have already shipped more ps3s the 360s worldwide, and I imagine they will still sell ps3s for years to come. If Microsoft abandons the 360 like they did the Xbox do fast, then the ps3 will keep getting farther and farther ahead in sales.

You can't tell me Microsoft didn't take a huge loss with all the red rings of death for a long time.
It really doesn't matter though, but I can't see how the Xbox 360 could possibly outsell the ps3 over the entire lifespan of both consoles.

And yes I am psychic, but I only needed common sense to figure this out.

MS aren't going to drop the 360 any quicker than Sony the PS3, they've shipped pretty much the same amount of consoles to date and I don't see a huge surge for the PS3 suddenly. They left the original Xbox because sales were relatively low, the 360 is much more successful.

They left the original Xbox because they couldn't lower the production costs on it. They signed a bad contract with nVidia to provide the GPUs that kept the prices more or less fixed, and the hardware being basically a bunch of common PC parts in a custom case forced the component prices to stay high even though Microsoft still had to slash prices to keep up with Nintendo and Sony. That's why they went into the 360 with the division being billions in the hole and switched over to ATi.

Back