80GB or 60GB PS3?

SkylineObsession

Expert daydreamer
Premium
New Zealand
New Zealand
SkylineObsession
Mangosaurus
Okay, in a few weeks i should have enough money for the 60GB PS3.

It is about $1,200 in New Zealand (can get an R32 Nissan Skyline for that price, in fact we've bought three running R32 GTS-25 sedans for that exact price or lower!), plus two or three games, a controller and i think something else - but can't decide whether to get that or the 80GB version (when is it supposed to be released? I take it it will cost more?).

The extra space would be nice just incase i do end up using all that room (plan on keeping the console for a while you see). What do ya'll plan on doing?

:nervous:

I guess it would depend on the price difference between the 60GB & the 80GB. In the states at least the price difference is $100 US, but you also get a $60 game, MotorStorm.

Personally though I would get the 60GB and then if and when you need more HDD space either replace the HDD with a larger one or use an external HD.

I will say though, that if you were to download every one of the 40+ and growing free demos, plus some of the PSN games you are going to eat up all the HDD space pretty quickly. If you are a "collector" and also plan on downloading and keeping all the videos and other free content off the Sony PS Stores, you'll need a lot more than 80GB... especially if you want the 1080p versions.

The thing is though, the PS3 will allow you to copy and store most of these files to your PC and play them remotely through media sharing, which is what I have been doing seeing as I filled my PS3's 60GB HDD a long time ago.

Currently I'm thinking about following Solid Lifters' lead and getting a Cavalry CAXM37750 3.5" Pre-Formatted 7200RPM 750GB External Hard Drive:

202734456.jpg

Cavalry 750GB - USB 2.0 & eSATA Dual Interface 7200RPM External Hard Drive Kit - CAXM37750 - Includes SATA to eSATA Adapter Cable $201.29 with tax and shipping.

Gonna connect it to this... for movie archiving...

directv_hr20_front.bmp

Like Solid Lifters, I also have mutiple HD DVRs, only mine are from Scientific Atlanta, the Explorer 8300HD, which also requires an eSATA connection to an external HD.

My concerns are that unlike companies like Seagate and Western Digital, I really don't know much about the reliability and quality of Cavalry drives.

I also am not sure how the drive will work when switching between devices like the PS3 (which requires the drive to use a FAT32 filesystem), and the 8300HD (which I have no idea what, if any specific filesystem it requires), and of course to my computers.

I also have yet to find any answers on what is the fastest way to copy files off the PS3 to a new drive, or even back-up the entire PS3 HDD... but I'm still looking.

I would also go for the 60GB, its more cost effective to then be able to upgrade the HDD yourself...

Robin

I would also go for the 60GB, its more cost effective to then be able to upgrade the HDD yourself...

Robin

You couldn't be righter if you tried :-)

Go for the 60Gig and then throw in a 250 instead - Won't even void your warranty..

I was thinking the same thing, in regards to my system downstairs. As of today, 160GB PS3 FTW! :) Hell of an upgrade from the previous 20GB.

The new drive was less than a hundred bucks on Newegg. And I have a feeling I'll never want for drive space. Ever. :)

Yeah i'm thinking 60GB now, the 80GB will likely be way too much more $$ so yeah. The 360 only has 20GB (or about 13GB after the system takes some of it for itself) and the PS3's is triple that. I don't think i'll be downloading too many demo's or anything either as i'm not interested in every single game that comes along.

Anyone know what the bad things about the console are? Does it have to be kept cleaner than the PS2? How long does the battery life on the controllers last and can you just plug in a recharger cord and keep playing like the 360?

Anyone know what the bad things about the console are?

Hmm, lack of a full Gran Turismo game I guess, have no concerns about reliability.

Does it have to be kept cleaner than the PS2?

Only if you want to keep that piano black finish shine.

How long does the battery life on the controllers last

A long time (days I think), I never actually timed it.

can you just plug in a recharger cord and keep playing like the 360?

Sure can.

Yeah i'm thinking 60GB now, the 80GB will likely be way too much more $$ so yeah. The 360 only has 20GB (or about 13GB after the system takes some of it for itself) and the PS3's is triple that. I don't think i'll be downloading too many demo's or anything either as i'm not interested in every single game that comes along.?

Im starting to feel like 60GB is running out fast and I may put in a way larger one, ages ago I thought 60 was overkill but now that I download every demo that comes out and keep most of them space is going fast! Its odd that the 80 price difference is $100 for what is an identical system with 20GB extra... but yeah you get motorstorm.

Anyone know what the bad things about the console are? Does it have to be kept cleaner than the PS2? How long does the battery life on the controllers last and can you just plug in a recharger cord and keep playing like the 360?

For me the biggest problem is keeping the surface clean, its a dust magnet and if you put it horizontal its gets the most, place it vertical to minimise this. Also the surface being mirror black it gets microscratches from even the softest cloths but you dont really see them, Im quite surprised that the casing is so poor quality but its good that the innards are top quality. It really bugs me as I want to see it the way I first saw it! :lol: Im looking into cleaning products like the ones used on LCD TV surrounds (for those mirror black samsungs).

Thats about it, the rest of it IS ALLLLL GOOD! :sly:👍

Yes you can charge the controller whilst playing and the battery life is bloody ages, its actually unbelieveable, like 2 weeks using it for a few hours everyday! Ive only charged the controller fully twice since buying it!

Robin

Im starting to feel like 60GB is running out fast and I may put in a way larger one, ages ago I thought 60 was overkill but now that I download every demo that comes out and keep most of them space is going fast!
Very true. In fact, if you were to download every single free thing (pics, music, videos (1080p versions when given the choice), updates, add-ons, game demos, etc) off the PS Stores, you'd need well over 100GB... and that's without buying any of the PSN games.

But of course, that's only if you actually wanted all that, always picked the 1080p versions and or higher bit rate versions. I suspect most people will download only content that interests them, and then delete videos they've watched and don't plan on watching again - like movie trailers.

Game demos are a different thing as even if they might not like the demo, others that play on their PS3 might, and it's nice having the choice.

Currently there are over 40 demos available for download and will require over 25 GB of disc space. At the current pace of demos, you'll need about 10GB more per month to be able to keep downloading all the future demos, but I suspect the pace will go back down to normal, with about 4 demos per month, so that would be about 3GB per month.

Now even if you are a completist, and must download everything, and also want to have content on your PS3 from other sources besides the PS Stores, like your own music collection, photo albums, gametrailers.com, youtube.com, etc, as well as your own home movies, or even full length DVD movies. You can still do this without replacing the internal HDD for a much larger one, and there are some significant benefits to doing that as well.

Rather than post it again, here is a LINK to the thread and post where I discussed alternative content storage for my PS3.

There's also a lot of good info, suggestions, and links from others in that thread as well.

I was asked this question yesterday. :P
My thoughts...
Buy a 60gb unless they sell out before you can buy one. :ouch:

With an 80gb/MS package the price probably will not drop to $500 for atleast a few months. I'm not exactly sure how long it could last but with a GT5 bundle we could see the PS3 hold a $600 price for another year. :eek:
Eventually I see the PS3 selling at $500 but I don't see it happening for a long time. With that in mind I say buy a 60gb for $500 while you can.
Nearly identical systems.
Then again, you could say the 80gb is a steal since it runs only $100 more and provides 33% more memory and motorstorm.
:confused: :lol:

Thanks a lot guys, all good news by the sound of things (apart from the microscratches on the case - i'd be worried about them too ;)).

I think i should have enough money in about two weeks i hope. :)

Agreed. No need for two of the same thread topics, especially only days apart.

Agreed * 2. Will try again to funnel discussion back over here.

Anyhoo... assuming the $399 40GB rumors prove to be accurate I would suggest such a package deserves serious consideration for a prospective fence sitter. I'd have to imagine such a moderately priced unit would have to include the 65nm CELL (which should only serve to increase its life expectancy due to lower heat generated) and if the BC is no worse than the EE less 80GB model, well trading $100 for 2 less USB's ports and no CF/Memory Stick readers would definitely entice me. Although I'm sure not everyone will find value with the Spiderman 3 pack in (I know I wouldn't).

With an 80gb/MS package the price probably will not drop to $500 for atleast a few months. I'm not exactly sure how long it could last but with a GT5 bundle we could see the PS3 hold a $600 price for another year. :eek:
Eventually I see the PS3 selling at $500 but I don't see it happening for a long time. With that in mind I say buy a 60gb for $500 while you can.
That's a bloody crime against us here behind God's back... the 60GB model with MotorStorm and Resistance + one extra controller costs $990 here! I wonder how many thousand American kids would be screaming bloody murder if they had to pay a grand for it.

People, don't complain about the $600 price tag. Things could be worse. ;)

That's a bloody crime against us here behind God's back... the 60GB model with MotorStorm and Resistance + one extra controller costs $990 here! I wonder how many thousand American kids would be screaming bloody murder if they had to pay a grand for it.

People, don't complain about the $600 price tag. Things could be worse. ;)

Well it is really looking like Sony is going world wide with the $399 (or equiv) slightly stripped down 40GB model. So there's a good chance those of you across the pond will have a more economical ps3 choice here soon.

From GameSpot Rumor Control:

What we heard: In August, rumors first surfaced that Sony was readying a stripped-down $399 40GB PlayStation 3 for release by year's end. Since then, evidence of the console's existence have proliferated like an invasive species, popping up in everything from the FCC's Web site to reports from Wedbush Morgan Analyst Michael Pachter, who thought the console might be unveiled during the 2007 Tokyo Game Show. Though that did not come to pass, Wedbush analysts said Monday they still "expect the heavily speculated 40GB PS3 to appear at a $399 price as early as the holidays (and in any event early next year)."

Indeed, the past few days have seen a passel of reports all but proving Pachter's PS3 prognostication. On Saturday, the Web site for the French edition of GamePro claimed to have learned that Sony is planning a "big bang" announcement on Friday, October 12. (UPDATE: Sony Europe now denies any such announcement is planned.) On Sunday, the Sony-backed site Bluraysavings.com announced that purchasers of the same PS3 model revealed in the FCC documents--which still officially doesn't exist--would be eligible to receive several free BD movies. (The page has since been altered to just read "PlayStation 3").

Yesterday, popular tech-blog Engadget reported receiving evidence that monolithic electronics retailer Best Buy had already entered a $399, 40GB PS3 into their internal systems. Then, this morning, British game trade MCV reported its sister magazine in Italy had confirmed a 399 euro, 40GB PS3 was set to hit story shelves on October 10--exactly one week from today.

Finally, just hours ago, GameSpot received a tip from the manager of an Australian electronics retailer who said he was shown materials announcing the arrival of a 40GB PS3 "in the new two weeks." The model would bear a price tag of AU$699 (around $617), way down from the AU$999 ($882) price tag of the 60GB PS3. (NOTE: The US Dollar's exchange rate is currently at a near-all-time low against the Australian dollar.)

The official story: "Thanks for contacting us for comment, but our response remains the same--It's our policy not to comment on rumors or speculation."--Sony rep.

Bogus or not bogus?: Though nothing is official, the $399 40GB PS3 is looking more and more likely. It also makes sense: the price point would put it between the $449 Elite and $349 Pro models of the Xbox 360, making it semi-affordable by comparison. The move would also give the PS3 some more ammo for the brutal battle for holiday shopping dollars.

Category: Bulletin
Posted by thorsen-ink, Oct 3, 2007 12:15 pm PT

Aw-ite, finally official word is coming in the GBP 299 40GB PS3 is confirmed for the UK.

Eurogamer - 60GB PlayStation 3 drops to GBP 349, 40GB PS3 introduced

ps340gb272_screen.jpg

They removed all PS2 BC, which I must assume means no PS1 BC either. Can't decide if that was a such a wise move or not. I suppose if the fact is clearly communicated on the box somewhere it'll help prevent someone getting an unpleasant surprise, but no doubt a few buyers (mostly uniformed parents probably) are gonna get bit. Nice price though 👍

For me, a nice price won't help at all if isn't what I want.

I refused to purchase the old, 60GB model because it was too expensive. This new model is closer to the price-treshold I have for a console, but still a bit high. On the other hand, it doesn't play my old games, and so my interest is lost. Therefore, I won't buy. Probably wouldn't, anyway - I'm considering getting a Wii, because it can help me get in (better) shape.

get a 60giga of tradme. They are really cheap on there at the moment, and quite a few of them are new. Bought myn from there(used ntsc/J)and it's fine. get the 60gig, it holds alot more then you think. Ive got about 60+ music video's and 1000 or so song's along with about 8 demo's and 1000's of photo's. all of that has only used 22gig(including whatever the system takes) and all my song's are the highest quality available for ripping in the options.

Aw-ite, finally official word is coming in the GBP 299 40GB PS3 is confirmed for the UK.

Eurogamer - 60GB PlayStation 3 drops to GBP 349, 40GB PS3 introduced

ps340gb272_screen.jpg

They removed all PS2 BC, which I must assume means no PS1 BC either. Can't decide if that was a such a wise move or not. I suppose if the fact is clearly communicated on the box somewhere it'll help prevent someone getting an unpleasant surprise, but no doubt a few buyers (mostly uniformed parents probably) are gonna get bit. Nice price though 👍

I knew this one looked different then I realised they have removed 2 usb ports off the front, maybe they have been placed at the back? I wonder if anything else have changed besides that and backwards compatability?

Robin

I knew this one looked different then I realised they have removed 2 usb ports off the front, maybe they have been placed at the back? I wonder if anything else have changed besides that and backwards compatability?
Robin

Well there's more discussion in the general discussion thread (JIC) but to try and answer your 2 questions fairly quickly; no they haven't moved the 2 missing USB's to another location (there was an image of the 40GB's rear but I can't seem to find it at the moment) and the only other thing stripped out is the memory card reader slots (don't know what's under the cover now though???).

the latest bond + bond pamphlet has the 40gig advertised as preorder for october 12th($799), and for an extra $100 you can get skate and fifa 08'.

If i can't get a 60GB one then i will NOT be buying the 40GB version. As it stands it will be December (or close to) before i can get a PS3 now, as the cambelt (30,000+km's overdue) and water pump (leaking) need replacing in my Skyline, and i've also had to buy more window stickers for the car club which is $95+ for five.

Alas, i've still got to finish Tomb Raider III (still on the first level :embarrassed:) and start, then finish MGS2 first.

yea i didn't think anyone would, i was just confirming to the other's that is confirmed as coming(everyone seems to beleive it is still just a rumor...).

Back