Guides, Suggestions, & Tips on Installing & Using 3rd Party Hardware & OS for the PS3

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
This thread is meant as a resource for those interested in and sharing guides, suggestions, & tips on installing and using 3rd party hardware like HDDs as well as 3rd party system software like LINUX for the PS3.

I'll start this thread off with a link to Pako's incredible thread on his experience replacing his PS3's HDD with a Western Digital 160GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD and then instaling LINUX:

Here are a couple more links relating to using 3rd party accessories:

Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - (1/4 terabyte 2.5" SATA HDD for my PS3.)

22-136-123-01.jpg

ICY BOX IB-250 STUs Aluminum 2.5" USB 2.0 Pocket sized External Enclosure - (For my old PS3 60GB HDD, which will be used as a portable PC HDD.)

17-714-011-02.jpg
Nice drive!

I have a question for those that have replaced their original drives for larger ones...

How do you transfer all the data from the old drive to the new one, or do you have to start from scratch, and download everything all over again?

And/Or is it possible to just use an external USB drive so that you do not have to replace the original drive, and use the external drive to add additional storage capacity?

Thanks!

If you have an external drive, it has to be formatted to FAT32 to recognize, then you can back up everything on your PS3 onto the HDD and 'restore it' to the new HDD.

Thanks JR!

Could you be a little more specific for those of us who are not as familiar with this procedure as you obviously are? Thanks again!

What I plan to do is put the old PS3 HDD in the Icy Box, and hope the PS3 will recognize it so I can download all my game demos and game saves back onto the PS3's new HDD. If not, I'll stick the original PS3 HDD back in, and copy stuff on a FD and store it all on my PC (except game demos).

Can you connect a regular USB HDD to the PS3?

Yep. So long it's formatted in FAT32. Actually, my Flash Drive is formatted in FAT and it works fine.

Well, once taking out the HDD from the PS3, the PS3 wont recognize it at all. So, you will need a second HDD to transfer all data to before swapping drives. It sucks. And yes, you need to download the games all over again. I have no idea how purchased downloaded games work, because I never bought one. I was waiting to swap out the HDD and purchase Sony cards before I bought any downloadable games.

I had to transfer all my stuff to just one 1GB Flash Drive and what a pain. Actually, since I had the 60GB in a new external case, transferring music files and picture files I still had on my PC that I delete from the PS3 wasn't going to be a problem, thank god. And, the videos I had that were not on my PC fit on the one FD I had, but I needed two trips. No biggie.

The new external HDD works great with the PS3, but for one odd thing. It takes the PS3 quite a while to recognize the HDD. About 30 to 40 seconds, on average. Not really a big deal, I guess.

Any more questions, just ask.

Yep. So long it's formatted in FAT32. Actually, my Flash Drive is formatted in FAT and it works fine.

Well, once taking out the HDD from the PS3, the PS3 wont recognize it at all. So, you will need a second HDD to transfer all data to before swapping drives. It sucks. And yes, you need to download the games all over again. I have no idea how purchased downloaded games work, because I never bought one. I was waiting to swap out the HDD and purchase Sony cards before I bought any downloadable games.

I had to transfer all my stuff to just one 1GB Flash Drive and what a pain. Actually, since I had the 60GB in a new external case, transferring music files and picture files I still had on my PC that I delete from the PS3 wasn't going to be a problem, thank god. And, the videos I had that were not on my PC fit on the one FD I had, but I needed two trips. No biggie.

The new external HDD works great with the PS3, but for one odd thing. It takes the PS3 quite a while to recognize the HDD. About 30 to 40 seconds, on average. Not really a big deal, I guess.

Any more questions, just ask.

That's freaking awesome! there is a possibility that i can have full series of The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park and Family Guy in sortable folders on my TV using only the ps3 control to choose what to see. Amazing!

Solid, a quick question from me. How did you go about formating the 250gb hdd? Im really thinking about doing it myself.

Solid, a quick question from me. How did you go about formating the 250gb hdd? Im really thinking about doing it myself.

I use a USB HDD and it works perfect! I could only format it to NTFS though but lucky me, it was FAT32 when i got it! :D So now i have Complete Futurama Series and all my regular PS3 Videos as well as 12 GB of mp3 music stored on the new harddrive and all playable through the ps3 menu!

I've tested with another computer, didn't work that either. But i still think it's because the computers are formatted to NTFS.

I stuck that sucker in the PS3 straight from the opened package. The PS3 then recognized it needed to be formatted after I turned it back on and asked to format it. I clicked on 'Yes.' Done. It's super, super easy. No worries.

I stuck that sucker in the PS3 straight from the opened package. The PS3 then recognized it needed to be formatted after I turned it back on and asked to format it. I clicked on 'Yes.' Done. It's super, super easy. No worries.

Cheers for that 👍

One last question, are the user names and log-in details stored on the HDD or on a flash storage kind of thing? In other words do I have to set up the accounts eg. user names and passwords?

Cheers for that 👍

One last question, are the user names and log-in details stored on the HDD or on a flash storage kind of thing? In other words do I have to set up the accounts eg. user names and passwords?

Nope. All your settings are stored on the actual PS3, not the HDD. The only thing you need to do is re-download everything, like games and demos, videos, music files and game saves. That, you must do before the swap, obviously.

For all you Apple Mac users using the PS3 Media Server support... I need help.

I've set-up my folks with a PS3 and a Linksys wireless router (WRT54G). They have three computers in the house, two PowerMac G4 and a PowerBook G4. The desktops are running OS X 10.4.10 (Darwin 8.10.0) and the laptop is running OS X 10.4.9 (Darwin 8.9.0).

They are all connected to the network via Ethernet and a T100 router from Asante (FR3004LC). I had to daisy chain that router to the new wireless router for the PS3, because the new router doesn't have a printer cable input (and their laser printer doesn't have Ethernet support, so it needs to remain connected to the old router), fotunately everything appears to be working fine regarding the network and the PS3.

My question now is what do I have to do to be able to get the PS3 to see the Macs on the network in order to play music, videos, and view photos from their respective hard drives?

Thanks!

Well as I said today ive been looking into it for a little while and this is what I came up with,

Eye connect (same guys who made eye TV for the mac, all you have to do is download it from the site (Demo) and install it on the mac, once done the PS3 will pick up your mac in an instant, the bad ting is, it dosnt work too good, some people have managed to get it working in a fashion and some (like me) have not, the PS3 can see the mac and the files but it wont play them via the network, it will however download them straight to the PS3 to be played (giving that they are PS3 compatible files).

The Demo software runs out but you are still ableo to stream music after the time is up, but seeing as this isn't working for me anyway its no good, but apparently on the mac rumors forums a solution is on its way.

LINK to software

other software is out however, you may want to go to the links below.

List of other software

&

Mac forum thread dedicated to DLNA streaming from mac to PS3

Thanks Sprite.

I don't have a lot of time to get this set-up for my folks, so it sounds like the best solution is to wait until these issues are completely resolved, and additional solutions and software for the Mac is developed.

Please do keep us all posted on how all this develops, as I'd like to at some point get their PS3 to play media off their Macs. Thanks for the info though Sprite! 👍

Thanks Sprite.

I don't have a lot of time to get this set-up for my folks, so it sounds like the best solution is to wait until these issues are completely resolved, and additional solutions and software for the Mac is developed.

Please do keep us all posted on how all this develops, as I'd like to at some point get their PS3 to play media off their Macs. Thanks for the info though Sprite! 👍

No worrys, just after posting that, I had another play around and found that If i go into sharing and enable file sharing for mac and pc and also turned on the sharing options in itunes i allowed me to stream some stuff, but not very well i might add, its very buggy and a bit of a waste of time at the moment (ive heard Pc's are allot better at this at the moment)

As soon as anything else crops up I will post it for all.

I shall just add that the following things work perfectly :)

Logitech%20Formula%20Force%20EX.jpg
(PC Wheel without any converters)

125930.jpg
(With the Asid PS2-PS3 converter)

Western Digital My Book 250 GB Hard Drive

So I am thinking about giving my current 60GB PS3 to my sister in-law's family and buying the new PS3 bundle from Costco.

I have a few questions for those in the know...
  1. I plan to replace the HDD of the new PS3 before I do anything with a much larger HDD, so any recommendations on what drive and where to buy it would be gratefully appreciated!

2. What is the best way to transfer the files I currently have on my old PS3 to the new one?

Should I use a USB connector and plug in the new HDD into my old PS3 and copy all the files?

...or do you think it would be faster to install the new HDD into my PC and using an ethernet cable, connect the old PS3 to my PC thereby utilizing the PS3' 1000 BaseT ethernet and transfer the files that way?

I assume none of the games, including the free demos can be copied over, thus I'll have to re-download them off my PS Store list?

3. Do I have to put in all my user account and profile info all over again?

... or will it only ask for my user ID and password and then it will remember everything else from before?
All help is welcome!

I plan to replace the HDD of the new PS3 before I do anything with a much larger HDD, so any recommendations on what drive and where to buy it would be gratefully appreciated!

Actually.... No idea
2. What is the best way to transfer the files I currently have on my old PS3 to the new one?

Should I use a USB connector and plug in the new HDD into my old PS3 and copy all the files?

Yes but the games must be re-downloaded
...or do you think it would be faster to install the new HDD into my PC and using an ethernet cable, connect the old PS3 to my PC thereby utilizing the PS3' 1000 BaseT ethernet and transfer the files that way?
You might be able to keep the games this way.
I assume none of the games, including the free demos can be copied over, thus I'll have to re-download them off my PS Store list?
Read above
3. Do I have to put in all my user account and profile info all over again?

... or will it only ask for my user ID and password and then it will remember everything else from before?
I think it's all saved as an online profile since you can't reach it when offline. I'm 99% sure it's just to put in user/pass.
All help is welcome!
Probably not much help but 2 thoughts are better than one :)

So I am thinking about giving my current 60GB PS3 to my sister in-law's family and buying the new PS3 bundle from Costco.

I have a few questions for those in the know...
  1. I plan to replace the HDD of the new PS3 before I do anything with a much larger HDD, so any recommendations on what drive and where to buy it would be gratefully appreciated!

1. Get the one I installed. It's quiet, cool, fast and huge. Why get something else?

[*]What is the best way to transfer the files I currently have on my old PS3 to the new one?

Just use a Flash Drive. That's what I did. Most files that were on my PS3 were already on my PC, so I didn't need to do all that transferring in the first place.

Yep. If they're still available. My Hot Shots Golf PS3 demo is gone forever.

[*]Do I have to put in all my user account and profile info all over again?

All help is welcome!

No. Like I stated before, it's stored on the PS3, not the HDD. All that stuff will be stored or saved and will be remembered once you format your new HDD.

Thanks kekke2000 & SL 👍

Get the one I installed. It's quiet, cool, fast and huge. Why get something else?
Thanks, and I did include it on my list of prospects, but I also wanted to see if anyone else may have another drive to recommend, and or places to buy it. 👍

Just use a Flash Drive. That's what I did. Most files that were on my PS3 were already on my PC, so I didn't need to do all that transferring in the first place.
The problem is I have so many files... and only a 2 GB flash card. I do have an external USB HDD case, but is there an option to back-up the 60GB PS3 drive... other than the games, or do you have to copy each file one at a time?

My Hot Shots Golf PS3 demo is gone forever.
:ouch: That's going to bite... my kids love the Japanese dialogue!

No. Like I stated before, it's stored on the PS3, not the HDD. All that stuff will be stored or saved and will be remembered once you format your new HDD.
Well if it's stored on the PS3 then that wont help... that only helps when you are swapping out drives. I'm also swapping out PS3's. I'm hoping Kekke is correct, and that the info is stored online, and all I have to do is provide my user ID and password, and it will restore all my user account info and profile... but I have a feeling it is going to make me re-do all that account & profile info... less the User ID & password of course.

Copying this question from Jedi from the mega PS3 thread:

Hey, guys.. I've got a techie question about swapping the hard drive for a bigger one.

Do the 2.5" drives have standard SATA connectors, or is it something different?

Is it possible to copy all of your old files onto the new drive using a computer, without any issues when the new drive is installed into the PS3?

I ask because I finally ran out of space today, trying to download the Folklore demo.. took me almost six months to fill up 20GB.. hehe. Well, 4GB of that is my Oblivion swap file, which I could probably get rid of, but I don't want to cripple Oblivion by filling up all of it's swap space with demos.

What I'd like to do is buy a new drive, take it into work, and use one of the SATA-equipped systems there to copy all of the data from the 20GB drive to the new one. Or, if that doesn't work, I have access to a drive cloner that does a bit-for-bit copy of the drive (but will probably give me some hassle with the 20GB partition, I don't know yet). I don't want to have to go through all the setup crap again, and I especially don't want to go through all of the downloading again.
I'm also wondering what is the fastest way to copy files from the 60GB HD to the new HD.

Well I tried connecting my laptop to the PS3 using an ethernet cable but I can't seem to get it to recognize the PS3 in order to back up the HD or even just copy files off it to my laptop's HD. I don't have a dual ended USB cable to try doing the same through oe of the USB inputs on the PS3... maybe then it would work?

Another thing I didn't realize is that if you remove a video file off the PS3, say to a USB card like I did, and then copy it back it changes the date and also automatically adds the 15-sec icon clip.

All this is remindeding me how much I really wish the XMB supported custom folders so we can organize our files to our personal tastes.

+BUMP for Jedi's question.

Jedi, did you get the answers you were looking for or are they still on the table?

I'm still trying to find out the fastest way to copy files off the PS3, as using the USB memory card is terribly inefficient.

I'm also still trying to find out if you can back-up the entire HDD in the PS3, and if so, what it the recommended way.

One more thing, as brought up in the 80GB or 60GB PS3? thread, I am thinking about following Solid Lifters' lead by getting a Cavalry CAXM37750 3.5" Pre-Formatted 7200RPM 750GB External Hard Drive:

Like Solid Lifters, I also have mutiple HD DVRs, only mine are from Scientific Atlanta, the Explorer 8300HD, which also requires an eSATA connection to an external HD.

My concerns are that unlike companies like Seagate and Western Digital, I really don't know much about the reliability and quality of Cavalry drives.

I also am not sure how the drive will work when switching between devices like the PS3 (which requires the drive to use a FAT32 filesystem), and the 8300HD (which I have no idea what, if any specific filesystem it requires), and of course to my computers.

I know of one Cavalry that has broken down. It started from the beginning. The blue light started to flash from the first time he started recording. Then, it wouldn't play back what it recorded. Then, it wouldn't playback at all, nor record anything. Then, the receiver (HR20) no longer recognized the thing.

Only one, out of a half of dozen, or so.

The guy who owned it wanted his money back. He got it, but at the cost of the shipping, both ways.

I have yet to install mine, so I don't know how she is. I'll report back.

Sorry about the delay, DN, I didn't get my new drive until yesterday.

Today I tried the copy thing, and it didn't work at all. It seems that they're using a proprietary file system on the drive, and nothing else but a PS3 can read it. I hooked them both up to a PC at work, and the system saw both drives, but recognized them only as "unallocated space", and asked if I wanted to format them. I thought it might be a Windows thing, so I tried booting it into Linux, and no joy there, either. DSL wouldn't even start because no Linux-compatible file system could be found. I stopped there, because it would have taken some hi-fi tweaking and hacking to get further into the drives from that point.

So, I ended up reinstalling the 20GB drive temporarily, copied off all of my game-saves and a few videos that would fit on my USB stick, then popped the new 160GB drive back in and brought my stuff back onto it. I'll have to redownload some other videos, demos, games, etc, that I had before. Couple days worth of downloading, which I was hoping to avoid. But oh, well. You win some, you lose some.

Hey, at least this will make me get off my ass and download the 1.2 version of GTHD.. hehe.

Sorry about the delay, DN, I didn't get my new drive until yesterday.
No worries, I was just making sure your questions were not getting lost in the shuffle. 👍

Today I tried the copy thing, and it didn't work at all. It seems that they're using a proprietary file system on the drive, and nothing else but a PS3 can read it. I hooked them both up to a PC at work, and the system saw both drives, but recognized them only as "unallocated space", and asked if I wanted to format them. I thought it might be a Windows thing, so I tried booting it into Linux, and no joy there, either. DSL wouldn't even start because no Linux-compatible file system could be found. I stopped there, because it would have taken some hi-fi tweaking and hacking to get further into the drives from that point.
Thanks for sharing this experience. I was afraid this would be the case, and that removing the original HDD and making an exact copy to the new HDD wasn't possible due to various copyright protections.

So, I ended up reinstalling the 20GB drive temporarily, copied off all of my game-saves and a few videos that would fit on my USB stick, then popped the new 160GB drive back in and brought my stuff back onto it. I'll have to redownload some other videos, demos, games, etc, that I had before. Couple days worth of downloading, which I was hoping to avoid. But oh, well. You win some, you lose some.
Pako gave me some good advice, and that is to use the PS3's Backup Utility. If the new HD isn't already formatted for FAT32, you can do that with the PS3 as well with it's Format Utility.

I'm still looking at getting a 500-750GB external drive with both USB and SATA so I can use it with my DVRs as well, but in the meantime I used an old external drive that I had long forgotten about. It's a three year old 160GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 drive from Buffalo, model HD-HB160U2. It came preformatted for FAT32 so I didn't have to format the drive.

I have the 60GB PS3 (which actually has just 47GB for all content; games, videos, music, pics). Selecting System Information it said I had 1.3 GB of free space out of 55 GB.

When I started the backup, it first gave me the following warning:

"If you restore on a different system some data will not be restored."

This is basically what it says in the manual as well:

Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3 system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:
  • Saved data from PLAYSTATION 3 format software *1
  • Image files under (Photo)
  • Music files under (Music) *2
  • Video files under (Video) *2
  • Bookmarks added under (Internet Browser)
  • Terms that were added using (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms that were "learned" by the on-screen keyboard *1
*1 Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.

*2 Does not include copyright-protected data.
Reading all this I assumed that meant if you ever want to replace your PS3 with a new PS3, you can only restore none copyright-protected files, which I suppose means no games will be able to be restored, and you would have to re download them from your "Download List" in each PS Store... and for each user on your PS3.

For instance, my wife has purchased and downloaded PSN games, so to get those reloaded, I'd have to switch to her user account t se those games on the "Download List"... which of course makes sense, but I suspect some may not realize this and wonder where some of their games went from the "Download List".

As I will be using the same PS3, but with a new HDD, the back-up will make copies of all the content on my PS3's HDD including the games. So this warning didn't Apply. 👍

When I started the back-up it first said it was going to take 2 Hours and 29 Minutes, but just a minute later it recalculated it to 1 Hour and 40 Minutes, which is exactly how long it took. 👍

As expected, the back-up was 46GB (47GB - 1.3 GB) so that works out to be about 2 minutes per GB, but best of all not only are you saving time by being able to copy the games, but that it was just a one step process. 👍

Now after the back-up was completed, I got another warning alert, but this one seemed odd to me:

"If you will be restoring copyright-protected video titles, you must do so now."
It suggests that there is some kind of time limit for you to restore copyright-protected content. If so, this is the first I've ever heard of something like this.

Also there is a warning in the manual about how changes to your PS3 before restoring the back-up may cause problems:

If you perform any of the following operations after backing up, the backup data may not restore correctly:
  • Format the hard disk
  • Restore the PS3 system
  • Move copyright-protected video
  • Download copyright-protected video
I have not yet decided what new internal HDD to get for my PS3, so I guess to play it safe, I'll make a new back-up just before switching internal drives.

OK, so that's my current experience with the back-up utility, and seems to be pretty solid, and the quickest and best solution for those wanting to replace their internal HDD and copy all their content over.

But here is where I might suggest a different approach. As a precaution, I also used the "Copy Multiple Files" option and made copies of all my pics, music, and videos off my PS3 to the 160GB USB drive.

The pics and music files were minimal, but I still had 171 (24GB) video files on the PS3, which took about a minute per GB to copy over... about ten times faster than re-downloading them off the PS Store. 👍

Now that I had all this extra space, I could also copy over the +10GB worth of video files I had been forced to remove from the PS3 and copy them to my laptop as the PS3 HDD has been full for some time now.

Now that I not only had a back-up, but I had copies of all my content on the USB drive, I discovered there are some big advantages to keeping your content (pics, music, and videos) on an external HD rather than on the HDD:

ADVANTAGES
  • I have a lot more space!

• I can create custom multiple folders and hierarchic folders making it very easy to organize and find similar and specific files. This means instead of all the pics being lumped together or in dated folders, I can have custom folders for each "album". This means I can also create custom folders and organize my songs exactly how I like. This also means instead of having all the video files lumped together, I can have a folder for game videos, system videos, movie trailers for upcoming films, movie trailers for films currently released, youtube videos, home movies, full feature films, etc. 👍👍

• By selecting Information, you can now find out exactly how many files and memory used on the USB as well as each individual folder you create... something the XMB has yet allowed users to do.

• I can easily unplug the drive and connect it with other PS3s and PCs to share and view the same content. 👍

• When connected to a PC, not only can you easily organize your files, sort them by more than just name and install date, and easily search for specific titles, but you can also change the file names much quicker than you can with the PS3. 👍
Unfortunately, as with most things, along with the advantages there are also some noteworthy disadvantages:

DISADVANTAGES
  • If you have more than one level of folders (in other words, if you create a folder, and then create more folders inside that folder), then it will not generate thumbnail folder & file picture icons and must always select "display all" each time you select the USB drive in order to see all the folders... which some might consider an undesireable inconvenience.

• Also, unlike when a video file is on the HDD, you cannot create a 15-sec preview video loop icon for a file. I never found those to be terribly useful so it isn't a big deal to me, but it might be for others.

BTW: I found that if you copy a video file from the USB drive to the HDD, it automatically creates the 15-sec preview video loop icon. So for those that do like to have that preview icon, but don't want to go through the multiple step process for every file, a quick way of doing that is to copy your video files to a USB drive. Erase those files on the PS3, then copy them right back to the PS3. Voila, they will now all have 15-sec loop icons.

• Because there are no sort options for files off an external drive, all folders and files will be sorted alphabetically. With files on the HDD, although they are all lumped together, at least the video files are, you can sort them by intalled date, which can come in handy if you are trying to remember which file you last downloaded.

Granted, you can do this with the USB drive as well, but only by connecting it to your PC. :indiff:

• Along with the missing "Sort By" option, here are the other missing features when using a USB driver to store your content:
    • Delete Multiple (odd, because the "Copy Multiple" is available)
    • Group Content (although I found this fairly useless, as it was just by date)

• No background downloading off the PS Store to a USB drive. (this is also not a big deal, as it is very fast to just copy files from the HDD to the USB drive. So what I would do is continue to use background downloading and save them onto the HDD, but when all the downloading is complete, simply select the "Copy Multiple" option and copy the new files to the USB, then delete them from the HDD.

It only adds one rather quick step to the process. Certainly a far better option than downloading each file from the PS Store directly to the USB drive.

So there you have it. Those are the advantages and disadvantages that I have found when using a USB drive for your PS3 content.

Personally, now that I have seen how it works first hand, I am totally sold on the idea of having all my content on an external USB drive!

For some, it may also allow you to keep your current HDD in the PS3 as you would now only need it to store your games, game demos, and game saves.

Although, if you plan on keeping all the game demos on your HDD, and or plan on buying lots of PSN games, you'll find that you'll need a bigger drive than 60GB. Currently, without downloading any of the PSN games, you'll need about 25GB of space for all the demos, and at the current pace, you'll need over 50 GB sometime next year. Once you start adding all the disc space you might need for any and all PSN titles you buy and download, then all of a sudden that 60GB HDD may not be looking so big after all.

On the other hand, it is also true you can delete and re-download games, so even those that want every single game demo and PSN game, you can still manage it on a 60GB HDD, it's all a question of convenience.

Hey, at least this will make me get off my ass and download the 1.2 version of GTHD.. hehe.
It's about bloody time! :D

Back