83rd Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours - 13/14 June 2015.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,676 comments
Uploaded a few pics to Flickr

Took about a thousand, but Le Mans is pretty poor for Joe Public spectators... too many people, too many fences...

Porsche 919 by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Nismo GT-R LM by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Porsche 911 by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Oops by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Thursday Night Qually by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Sunset by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Toyota TS040 by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Corvette by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

a few more on Flickr..

and one more for luck... just because Le Mans Campsite...

Beausejour by Matt Stokes, on Flickr

Last edited:
:lol:
B9D57D87-566F-49C9-8B5D-AEA55EE30CEE_zpsolz6y8hu.jpg

Ex FWD racer Bryce DeMoss with some good points regarding FWD:

"It's bad/much harder for reliability" - Completely untrue. The systems involved in putting engine power through a transmission, and to the wheels, are exactly the same. The packaging may be different than what you see on a "typical" mid-engine LMP. The only argument for this idea is that the front tires would experience more wear, but this can be mitigated with setup. As someone who has raced FWD touring cars, I can tell you that wear can be made pretty even with the right set up, especially if your primary goal is longevity over outright pace.

"and [FWD] was the reason for maybe half their 20 second per lap deficit (traction out of corners, instability under braking, high speed cornering dynamics)" - Thats a pretty bold statement based of a lot of assumptions. The traction out of corners was largely a set up problem. On their later stints, they were not experiencing anywhere near the judder and wheel hop they had at the start. The instability under braking is just flat out false. There is nothing to suggest that at all whatsoever. Most all of their braking problems were a result of not having any kind of kinetic harvesting to off set it, and the braking package they went with, being a "this is what we've got" compromise. They also did no appear to have any issue in high speed cornering. With the Porsche curves being the sole exception to that, because of the high loads. That is easily a chassis setup issue, and not a FWD issue.

"a) they have to get it working perfectly at maximum power/duration to balance the car" - How is this different from any other team? Clearly Audi lost theirs, and it fouled up their car pretty horribly too, in terms of pace. So this seems a bit pedantic.

"b) they have to get the complicated system - including rear transmission - down to weight limit" - This has kind of already been done. The development for most of this has already been taken into consideration. The issues are in the FlyBrid system itself. Actually getting the power to the rear wheels will be a straightforward task, as its already been largely designed into the chassis layout.

"c) they have to make it all reliable" - That issue falls on ToroTrak at this point, not Nissan. Their vender is letting them down at this point. Not exactly within Nissans control. Nissan came to them with a design idea, they agreed it was feasible, and they havent delivered on that agreement. I wouldnt be surprised if Nissan switched to a different flywheel system, from an alternate vendor, like Williams, for example.

"d) they need to stop losing so much time when the system is off because 1) it won't be on for 150 to 180 seconds around a lap - some of it through turns, 2) Audi lose much less time when their hybrid system stops working" - Keep in mind, the loss of time is a compounding problem. A: They are carrying around additional weight in a hybrid system that isnt functioning. B: They have limited chassis set up time, and all the issues that come with it C: Thae chassis setup led to traction limitations out of slow corner, which was further compounded by cars WITH functioning hybrid systems. You can almost count the individual seconds in the acceleration phase of slow corners just by applying some basic logic. And the more the issues compound, the more time they hemorrhage, the sum of the whole being greater than the individual parts, and what not. And lets keep in mind that Audi has a HUGE history of chassis setup from which to dwell from, and still an amazing engine program to back that up, despite the loss of their hybrid system. power. Its no wonder they were still faster, they have a FAR more refined car.

Not trying to bust your chops, but point out a lot of the logical fallacies that people seem to have in regards to the car being FWD, and why they are incorrect, and why they deserve to be examined from a more logical engineering viewpoint.

My god you lot put all of my pics to shame! I definitely need a better camera for next year

Well, if it's any consolation, the vast, vast majority of the photos I took were terrible :lol: seriously, maybe <10% were alright.

Not sure at what level you are, and what you shoot with, but personally as an amateur just gaining as much experience as I can (there are plenty of other people on GTP better than myself).. but a basic DSLR with a standard 300mm telephoto lens is enough (provided that you get to grips with manual mode) but it's only half the battle... The rest is location and perseverance. Le Mans is pretty terrible for photography IMHO, the ratio of distance from camera to fence to subject is pretty bad... And there are 260,000 other people getting in the way!

IMHO of course, like I say, others here are better placed to offer advice.

Well, if it's any consolation, the vast, vast majority of the photos I took were terrible :lol: seriously, maybe <10% were alright.

Not sure at what level you are, and what you shoot with, but personally as an amateur just gaining as much experience as I can (there are plenty of other people on GTP better than myself).. but a basic DSLR with a standard 300mm telephoto lens is enough (provided that you get to grips with manual mode) but it's only half the battle... The rest is location and perseverance. Le Mans is pretty terrible for photography IMHO, the ratio of distance from camera to fence to subject is pretty bad... And there are 260,000 other people getting in the way!

IMHO of course, like I say, others here are better placed to offer advice.

Hahaha very good point, i have quite a few pics of a clear track to delete!

The camera I was using cant be used with a lense. Hopefully getting a new one within the next month or so...

Totally agree with you about location, there are a couple of spots I always go to at Le Mans where I can poke the camera through the fence holes which give good results but I know I can do so much better with decent gear!

Nissan didn't run the hybrid system at all.
"Darren Cox, the Japanese manufacturer's global motorsport boss, made the admission in the wake of a race in which the best Nissan lapped 18 seconds off the pace, confirming the widely held conclusion that the GT-R LM gained no benefit from hybrid power.
"No, we didn't try running it," Cox told AUTOSPORT.
"For reliability reasons we didn't engage the hybrid system."
Cox explained that the decision was made after the Le Mans test two weeks before the race."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119532

Nissan didn't run the hybrid system at all.
"Darren Cox, the Japanese manufacturer's global motorsport boss, made the admission in the wake of a race in which the best Nissan lapped 18 seconds off the pace, confirming the widely held conclusion that the GT-R LM gained no benefit from hybrid power.
"No, we didn't try running it," Cox told AUTOSPORT.
"For reliability reasons we didn't engage the hybrid system."
Cox explained that the decision was made after the Le Mans test two weeks before the race."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119532
This is news?

Heck, I knew they wern't running it ptobably a month in advance.

How did so many people miss out on hearing that the car wasn't going to be running at 100%? No offence, of course, but man.
Racer.com has never messed up this bad. :lol:

Wasn't it announced on the Sunday/.Monday before the race?
Yup Sunday...right on or after test day. They said that the system would be riding in the car but turned off.

Last edited:
It was long known that Nissan was not going to use the hybrid system.

What I was wondering throughout the race is could Nissan have used the hybrid on 1 car? If so then surely it was worth a shot.

It was long known that Nissan was not going to use the hybrid system.

What I was wondering throughout the race is could Nissan have used the hybrid on 1 car? If so then surely it was worth a shot.

This is what I thought they should have done. Have 2 cars playing the long game trying to make the finish, have one running the hybrid going for lap times.

Back