• Thread starter Earth
  • 155 comments
GTP_Royalton
timthumb.php

Schedule

May 18 - Pole Day
May 19 - Bump Day
May 26 - 97th Indianapolis 500

So far 33 drivers are entered into the race. If more are entered, there will be drivers bumped out of the field

2012 Pole by Ryan Briscoe (226.484 mph 4 lap average)

First activities at the Speedway begin with 2004 NASCAR Cup Champion Kurt Busch passing the rookie orientation test. Busch may run the race next year.

Last edited:
I don't really care who wins, just as long as the race is as good as the recent ones have been.👍

Sportsnet (The Canadian station carrying NBC Sports) currently lists Indy Pole Day as live, but instead they're showing some silly Hockey documentary..

Edit: Rain delay.. oops..

Is Will Power on pole? He doesn't tend to fare too well on ovals. I think his only win was in Texas when the grid was decided by random draw and the other strong drivers were near the back.

That was an excellent pole day. Congrats to Ed Carpenter for beating out the big dogs and claiming the pole!

Theres going to be a bump

Michelle Jourdain Jr is battling Katherine Legge for the 33rd and final spot

75 minutes left

Jourdain is battling the car more than anything else. I think Legge's got it in the bag with a 223 lap.

Jourdain will not make an attempt. The car was just not there for him. Even Graham Rahal tried the car and couldn't get it fast.

Just looking at Jourdain's face tells the whole story. You could tell he was completely gutted when he learned he wouldn't be taking a shot at it. :(

How do you black out a race like this?! Weird but whatever.

This is probably the first time I will actually watch all of the race.

Will it be streamed on the official website? A bit bummed that Motors TV won't broadcast it.

I doubt it will be on the official website

I know a website that usually has links for events like this and I'll post the link once its up

Extremely new to Indycar. Started catching some of the races for this season, and I've been slowly seeing my interest increase more and more. I like that it is similar to F1 in that the cars have extreme p/w ratios and gobs of downforce.

First time I'll be watching the Indy 500. At first, I thought, why would they put Indycars on oval tracks? Seems against the point of them. But after seeing that they do 220+mph, I didn't appose it so much.

Extremely new to Indycar. Started catching some of the races for this season, and I've been slowly seeing my interest increase more and more. I like that it is similar to F1 in that the cars have extreme p/w ratios and gobs of downforce.

First time I'll be watching the Indy 500. At first, I thought, why would they put Indycars on oval tracks? Seems against the point of them. But after seeing that they do 220+mph, I didn't appose it so much.

I suppose it should go without saying that IndyCar gets its name from Indy, which is of course Indianapolis, home of the Indianapolis 500. That oval is the home of IndyCar. I forget what board had the topic, but someone scoffed at people treating IndyCar as an oval series, but it has only recently got to where the series had more road courses than ovals, previously dominated by ovals for years.

It would seem like IndyCars are built for road racing, and indeed they beat the crap out of NASCARs around roads, but they can't match F1 performance on roads. I forget which IndyCar race it was, but it sounded like a commentator mentioned it being their fastest road course with a top speed of 170 MPH. F1 sees 200 on multiple road courses, 215 (give or take) at Monza, and 170 even at Monaco, which is their slowest course.

Today is huge in racing, as we have the biggest race in the world minutes from now and later the Indianapolis 500.

Back