996rick's liveries

• Thread starter 996rick
  • 49 comments
full

Porsche 917-001 Tributes​

The first 917 made, chassis 001, was recently restored to its original homologation livery. The 917-001 wore three liveries during its initial rollout. Learn more here.

The 917-001 with the green nose is the 'Homologation Day' color way, photographed with the 25 other cars made to legalize the 817 for racing. Shortly after, the car was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show in white/orange wearing #3. The car was then painted in Gulf colors wearing #1.

Download Porsche 917-001 Homologation Day on gran-turismo.com
Download Porsche 917-001 Frankfurt Motor Show on gran-turismo.com
Download Porsche 917-001 Gulf on gran-turismo.com

full

full

full

full

full

Porsche 919 Hybrid, based on 917 Salzburg #23 + variants

I've been loving the Gr.1 race this week in Sport Mode, but wanted a 917 livery for the 919 hybrid – and there aren't as many as you'd expect. So I put together a Salzburg #23 livery based on the iconic 1970 Le Mans winning car.

There are a number of color variants of this design throughout history, so I also color swapped the Salzburg to account for some of those color ways.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
full

Kodak Porsche 962 C

This started out as an entry to a contest with Kodak as a secondary sponsor, but it eventually took over and became this design. Retro Kodak livery on the 962 C.

Download here:

full

full

full

Last edited:
full

Polyphony Super Formula PD-25

For LEC #14 'Polyphony Digital' I wanted to keep my entry firmly Japanese to sync with PD. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to try a Super Formula car. Referenced PD's actual brand treatment for the stripes over purple/blue/space.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Some very good liveries there my man. Great stuff.

Quick question, for the Bilston camo do you does the camo individually or in "panels" via Inkscape or similar?
Thank you!

The Bilstein was fun… I used Sketch app (Inkscape I'm sure could work, I just don't have it).

I had to figure out the repeatable tile the original designer used. Some of the hard edges of the pattern helped find it. Then I sort of began tracing what I could see in the photo. Once I had a general pattern, getting it to be a perfect pattern (i.e. it would tile) required a lot of tweaking. I had to create a master component, or symbol, and then tile it in my file so I could see updates live as I updated the master tile.

Then after all that, the resulting tile wouldn't work under 15k. I figured out that if I exported a high resolution PNG and then let SVGOMG digitize that, it cleaned it up just enough. Some tweaks to make sure it tiled and voila.

Applying it to the car was not too bad. It's so organic that when things don't line up just right it's easy to improvise with shapes to blend areas together.

Some pics of my process file:

full

NSX Gr.3 FW11 Tribute

This entry for LEC #19 used the Williams F1 car from the 80s, specifically the FW11, as inspiration. It had to go on a Honda, so the Gr.3 NSX was the eventual pick. I went through an iteration on the Gr.2 NSX, but it looked too boring and too much like others have done on the showcase. The Gr.3 car lets you break up the colors a bit more for new shapes, while still calling back to the original.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

Rokit B&W Audi R8 LMS

This is my entry for LEC #20 "Black & White" – finding sponsors that look natural on a B&W car is tough. I wanted to figure out how to create 'colors' or shades on a car that could only have #FFFFFF and #000000 on it. Decided to experiment with halftone and linework to create grays in the Audi-style colorblocking, along with glossy/matte.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
full

Nigrin Liqui Moly Mustang Gr.3

I've been going through a folder of early ideas from when I started making liveries, and the 80's Zakspeed Ford Capri cars are on that list. Not many have taken a stab at the Nigrin variant, so here's my take.

Download here:

full

full

full

Last edited:
full

La Carrera Panamericana VW 1600

This rally Beetle was my entry for LEC #21 Carrera Panamericana. It's a love/hate livery, as I love the result (and how much of a rocket it is with a Porsche engine swap), but hated the 5 corrupted saves while working on it.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

TRD Heritage Toyota GR010 Hybrid​

I love the vintage TRD color way, and am applying it to as many Toyota family products as possible. For the GR010 I broke the stripes apart a bit and overlayed them for a more modern look and a better sense of speed.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

Castrol Tom's GR-Four Corolla

I love the GR Corolla. I put together a variant based on the classic GT500 Supra and the Celica GT-FOUR Rally car.

Download here:

full

full

full

full

Retro 7up BMW 3.0 CSL

This is my entry for LEC #31 Vintage Road Racers. Vintage 7up packaging was the inspiration for this BMW 3.0 CSL.

Download here:

full

full

full

Latest Posts

Back