A Broad Sword vs Five Rapiers

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 26 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
GroupC vs Formula GT
Extreme Hall Formula GT World

I had it in mind to run this series with a GroupC or LMP Ride before Guyver 1's OUTSTANDING effort! (Here) His report inspired me to get after it but I wanted to use a different ride. To help "Somewhat" to ascertain the difference between the "New" cars & the "Older" one I chose a GroupC ride. (To be revealed later!) I'm a little "mystified" as to how A-Spec points are awarded by PD. :confused: Although I had Higher HP the car doesn't handle nearly as well as the Audi A8 IMHO. Also the 5-Speed trans is an asset at some venues & a handicap at others.

Regardless, I adhered to the Rules Guyver 1 laid down. R-2 & R-3 Tyres only, NO Chassis adjustments etc. I ran w/out ASM but used TCS quite a bit, mainly in an attempt to limit wheel spin & prolong tyre life. NO "Tranny Trick" as I adjusted only the "Auto Set" to suit each venue.
I should mention that I tested at each track (save for one) with another "NEW" Ride so the car I used for the Races would have NO extra Mileage. During short tests (usually until the first Pit Stop) at each venue I anticipated a VERY Close series. As I adapted to my rides "Un-tunable" handling, some of the closeness disappeared :irked: but overall it was still a fun series. I also did NOT qualify (except at the second Venue) also in an attempt to make the races as close as possible. I still have my notes with Tyre Selection & Pit Strategy if anyone needs them.

After well over a month of testing/racing I really must :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: to Guyver1's effort! OUTSTANDING is an inadequate description!

Race #1 Tokyo Rte 246 (60 Laps / 55 A-Spec Points)
Finish 2nd / 1:23'33.574 / 1'19.101 (Lap #29)
M.O. "Loss" -13.775 ๐Ÿ‘Ž

Started last of course & worked my way to the front by Lap #5. Lost the lead for the first time when I pitted in at Lap #10. Great racing throughout with lots of lead swaps caused by the differing Pit Schedules. If ALL the "AI" had pitted on the 11 Lap Schedule favored by 3 of them I'd have won by about 15 seconds. But one stayed out 12 Laps saving him ONE stop. My only salvation was that "IF" he pitted on the final Lap I'd get by him but alas he didn't. One of the Very Closest "Long Races" I've ever run as all Six cars were on the finish straight together! :eek: HP dropped to 940 at the end. 25,000 Credits received.

Race #2 Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway (127 Laps / 0 A-Spec Points)
Finish 6th
M.O. "Loss" -127 Laps ๐Ÿ‘Ž

I had already ascertained that it would take "Miracle" for me to win this w/out Turbo 4 & since there's 13 more races to go I tried a little "Hanky Panky." I fitted the big turbo & R-3s front & rear, qualified 1st & started the race. It appeared that the winner from the previous race was running 6th so as soon as everyone crossed the Start/Finish Line (Rolling Start) I exited the race. My reasoning being that even though I'd receive NO Points, at least my main antagonist would NOT receive 10!!!

Race #3 New York (74 Laps / 55 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:39'35.777 / 1'17.460 (Lap #32)
M.O.V. +1 Lap ๐Ÿ‘

Knowing the "AI" doesn't do well at this venue & hoping to exact a little revenge for the Tokyo defeat, I made the necessary adjustments & hit the start button. Was in fourth by the end of the First Lap when braking for Turn #1 the fifth place car came out of nowhere & put me in the wall :eek: dropping me back to sixth. :irked: Nevermind, by Lap # 4 I'd passed them all. Lost the lead on my first Pit Stop (Lap #11) but regained it shortly thereafter. Lapped the #2 Car at the end of Lap #44 just before diving into the pits for my fourth stop & then (For Good!) again during Lap #47. Managed to Lap the third thru 5th place cars twice by the finish & would have lapped the Runner-Up & Third Place car in another Lap or so. 10 pts for the win moves me into Second overall, only one point behind the leader. HP dropped to 940 at the end. 100,000 Credits received.

Race #4 High Speed Ring (77 Laps / 55 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:14'47.449 / 0'54.328 (Lap #24)
M.O.V. +2 Laps ๐Ÿ‘

Fighting thru the pack for the first two Laps I "Thought" I'd found another good race but sadly it wasn't to be! Once I got past them I just gradually drew away. Started Lapping the back markers by Lap #41 & got the Second & Third place cars by Lap #61. Horsepower seemed to drop about Lap #70 as my times were consistantly about a second off my earlier pace, :irked: averaging mid-55s. Then a pleasant surprise just after I started Lap #75 I got by the Second & Third place cars again as they exited the pits. 10 points for the Win puts me in the overall lead for the first time w/26 total vs 19 for the "Red" FGT. HP dropped to 940 once more at the end. 100,000 Credits received.

Race #5 Grand Valley Speedway (62 Laps / 55 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:40'51.381 / 1'30.612 (Lap #29)
M.O.V. +1'10.xxx ๐Ÿ‘

From the early tests I had run I fully expected a win here but NOT a "Blow-Out!" :irked: Took the lead before the end of Lap #1 & never lost it...by the end of Lap #2 I was already 5+ seconds ahead. First pit I swapped to R-2 fronts in an attempt to find a closer race but during the third stint decided to try a different approach. Pitted early & switched back to the R-3s but decided to Pit every Seven Laps instead of every Eight, making One "extra" stop. Unfortunately it still didn't tighten things up as I Lapped the back marker about Lap #60 & ended up with about a 2/3 Lap Victory. Stretched my series points lead to 14. HP dropped to 939 at the end for the first time. 100,000 Credits received

Race #6 Circuit de la Sarthe (23 Laps / 55 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:16'09.8785 / 3'10.977 (Lap #23)
M.O.V. +1'56.xxx ๐Ÿ‘

Although my early tests dictated that 5 laps between stops wouldn't be a problem, my warm-up laps showed considerable rear tyre wear 1/2 way thru Lap #4. I bumped the TCS up a couple of notches hoping to compensate since I already had R-2s on the Rear (R-3 Fronts). Worked fairly well as it only got "Dicey" at about T-6 every fifth lap. Got a good run at the pack & slipped into first before the second Chicane on Lap #1 but braked too early at the Right before T-6 & they were on me "Like a Rash." Before I could gather it up I'd slipped back to 5th! :eek: Took me 'till the end of the Mulsanne on Lap #2 to get around them again & from there on was never challenged. Felt the HP go away about Lap #20 but surprisingly turned my fastest lap on the final go-around! :confused: I guess 22 laps of "Practice" paid off! :lol: Series points lead now stands at 19. HP started at 986 dropped to 938 at the end for the first time. 100,000 Credits received.

Race #7 Cote d' Azur (78 Laps / 55 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:48'20.027 / 1'19.302 (Lap #21)
M.O.V. +1 Lap ๐Ÿ‘

I figured from my test this round was easily winable & wasn't disappointed. Gained the lead 1/2 way thru Lap #3 & never gave it up. Started lapping the back markers on Lap #29 & ten laps later had 'em all down by one. Caught them again at Lap #66 & put all but the second place car down another lap. Caught him right at the Finish line & lacked less than a car length from putting him down 2 Laps as well! :irked: Strange HP readings this round...985 to start & 964 at the end? :confused: Series points lead now stands at 25. 100,000 Credits received.

Race #8 Seoul Central (113 Laps / 57 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:29'53.768 / 0'45.526 (#33)
M.O.V. 2+ Laps ๐Ÿ‘

Once again an easy win was predicted but NOT the Run Away I found. Was closing in on the #2 car to put him down THREE Laps at the end. As I've said before the "AI" just doesn't like this track! Series points lead now stands at 30. HP started at 984 dropped to 935 at the end for the first time. 100,000 Credits received.

Race #9 Infineon Raceway (76 Laps / 58 A-Spec Points )
Finish 1st / 1:39'50.126 / 1'14.456 (Lap #70)
M.O.V. 1+ Laps ๐Ÿ‘

Luckily I found a better race than the last one. Managed to slip past the three backmarkers before the end of Lap #1 but then a fine race ensued & I didn't pass the final opponent until Lap #8. Took 20 laps to put them all down by one, from #52 to #72. I assume the A-Spec points are going up slightly the last two races as the HP continues to taper off. :eek: Series points lead now stands at 34. HP started at 982 dropped to 934 at the end for the first time. Another 100,000 Credits received.

Race #10 Laguna Seca Raceway (85 Laps / 59 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:46'20.832 / 1'09.743 (Lap #49)
M.O.V. 4+ Laps ๐Ÿ‘

Why Oh Why did PD pick LSR to fill the AI field with DUNCES! :dunce::dunce::dunce: I'd forgotten how poorly they drive here :irked: Instead of having them drive "Off Course" so often why didn't PD just slow them down a bit? Got around the leader by Lap #4 & only saw the field again as I was lapping them! Took five laps to put them all a lap down the first time but eleven laps to get around them all for the FOURTH time as my HP really dropped off. Series points lead now stands at 40. HP continues to drop, started at 981 dropped to 933. Another 100,000 Credits received.

Race #11 Twin Ring Motegi Road Course (64 Laps / 89 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:42'53.256 / 1'31'911 (Lap #7)
M.O.V. +32.xxx Seconds ๐Ÿ‘

Far and away the best race yet! :eek: Battled my way thru traffic to the Second Spot by the end of Lap #4 then hung there until half way thru Lap #28 when I finally took the lead. Stretched it out slowly (mainly during each Pit Stop) to a maximum of about 17 seconds. Between the HP "Going Away" about Lap #48-50 & a coupla "Brain Fahrts" on my part my lead dwindled to as little as 3.5 Seconds. Then the "Pack" Pitted in at the end of Lap #63 while I stayed out on rapidly fading Rear Tyres & cruised to an easy half minute plus triumph. The "AI" drives EXCEPTIONALLY Well at this venue. Too bad that CANNOT be said for all the races in this series! :irked: Series points lead now stands at 44. HP continues to drop, started at 980 dropped to 932. Another 100,000 Credits received.

Race #12 Nurburgring (15 Laps / 0 A-Spec Points)
Finish 6th
M.O. "Loss" -15 Laps ๐Ÿ‘Ž

The "Ring" was the only venue I didn't "Pre-Test" hoping I guess that I'd be far enough ahead that I wouldn't need to complete it. I must admit I really don't understand what all the "Hoopla" is about this venue...it's very close to last on MY list of favorite GT4 tracks! :irked: Figured I SHOULD at least give it a try however but could only make my normal R3/R2 combo last two laps, (Same as the AI) & the R3/R3 combo was only good for about a lap and a half! :mischievous: The handling was horrible as well but I just attributed it to the lack of tuning. Figured I'd save 180+ miles, started the race & then exited as soon as I crossed the Start/Finish line. Series points lead dropped back to 34.

Race #13 El Capitan (64 Laps / 90 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:34'41.756 / 1'24.113 (Lap #49)
M.O.V. +11.190 Seconds ๐Ÿ‘

I didn't think it would be possible to eclipse the race at Twin Ring Road Course but this one did it! Found out right away what the handling problem had been at the "Ring." Apparently the "Stiffness" I added went away at about 1800 Miles! :confused: To say she was a "Handful" on the front straight is a gross understatement! I think it's Fantastic that PD has finally allowed us to change the Oil during a series but why on earth would they make us drive with an "Unsafe" chassis??? in R/L this is something that would NOT happen!
Started 6th of course but slid into second by the Camp Curry Corner on Lap #1 as most of the AI went wide. I was confident it wouldn't last however & one of them slipped by me about half way thru Lap #2. Hung in a solid Third until they pitted on Lap #8 when I got past them. Then back to third again as I pitted on Lap #9. We "See-Sawed" back and forth with every pit cycle. I never got more than 22 seconds behind or more than 14 seconds ahead. VERY close racing for over 1.5 Hours! ๐Ÿ‘ Probably wouldn't have been quite so close had I not caught the Armaco under the pedestrian bridge before the front straight at the end of Lap #5 sending me into a 720 spin & dropping me back to Sixth! :irked: Also clipped one of the bridges over the Merced River but that one only cost me a second or two.
From about Lap #46 until Lap #63 I put together a string of Fantasticly consistent laps (well, for ME anyway!) including the Fast Lap for the race with less than optimal HP for sure. Just kinda got in a "Zone!" My pitting six times to the AI's seven was really the Key. Only causing me to drop about three seconds on the final lap with a Very Orange left rear tyre by stretching the final stint to ten laps. Series points lead now stands at 40. HP continues to fall, started at 978 dropped to 931. Another 100,000 Credits earned.

Race #14 Fuji 2005 (67 Laps / 61 A-Spec Points)
Finish 1st / 1:37'23.618 / 1'21.928 (Lap #54)
M.O.V. 1+ Laps ๐Ÿ‘

Before I forget...has anyone else noticed that there are NO T-Times at this venue? :confused: Guess we won't be using this one for any OLR Races, eh?
Once again most of the field went wide in turn #1 & I managed to slip by on the inside. ๐Ÿ‘ Was in second by the end of the first lap & in first by the end of Lap #2. Steadily put some distance between myself and the AI in spite of the fact that the stability was non-existant above 200 MPH! NO way PD can think this is realistic! :irked: Caught the backmarker during Lap #46 & passed the second place car on Lap #55 just after my fatest lap. Series points lead jumped to 48. HP continues to diminish, started at 977 dropped to 929. Another 100,000 Credits earned.

Race #15 Suzuka (53 Laps / 0 A-Spec Points)
Finish 6th / NO Time / 1'42.725
M.O. "Loss" -32 Laps ๐Ÿ‘Ž

No way for you guys to know (OR care) but I've been away from this series for over two weeks. Kinda forgot how bad my ride's handling had become! :eek: Again, I have NO Idea what PD was thinking when they added this "Handicap!" Coupled with the reduced HP from earlier tests (even w/Full HP I anticipated this race being a REAL Challenge) I didn't figure I had even a slim chance of winning it. NO surprises this time! Still running in 6th at the end of Lap #18 I decided to stop the Blood-letting & exited the race. Series points lead dropped back to 38. HP started at 976, I didn't catch it at the end. WINNING the Series Championship made for another 3,000,000 Credits earned & another brand new Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

Series Stats:
11 Wins
1 Second
3 DNFs

Oh yeh...My Ride!!! Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89 proving that at least this Series CAN be Won with the Prize Car WITHOUT any HP Upgrades!

Starting Miles: 0.0
Total Mileage / 2,332 Miles

As always: THANX for wading thru all this & let me know if I made a mistake! ...O.G. :D

nice writeup! ๐Ÿ‘

i hate the chassis thing, i got caught out by it with my minolta. uncontrollable is an understatement :(

the chassis wear makes me feel like i'm hobbling towards the end when i do a series.

nice write-up, though. god, i wish the AI was more competitive, though. i wanna do a write-up myself, but the races just arent competitive enough to make people read 'em. :P

spykerdriver
You know you can do oil changes during a championship, right?
Great job though, I could never do that.
Oh YES! ๐Ÿ‘ Oil Change & Wash performed between every round. Still don't understand PD making the Chassis get "Spooky" however? :confused:

I think a "Random" Tyre losing pressure & requiring an extra Pit Stop would be more realistic, NO? You'd still get the same handling but at least you could "Fix" it! :irked:...O.G. :D

Old Geezer
Oh YES! ๐Ÿ‘ Oil Change & Wash performed between every round. Still don't understand PD making the Chassis get "Spooky" however? :confused:

I think a "Random" Tyre losing pressure & requiring an extra Pit Stop would be more realistic, NO? You'd still get the same handling but at least you could "Fix" it! :irked:...O.G. :D

Yeah, you really need to be able to do a "rigidity refreshener" at your home garage between series races. That's a no-brainer.

Awesome stuff. Much better driver than I am.

That has got to be THE biggest post i've ever seen.

If anyone has seen a better one please tell me through this post or pm me.

FANTASTIC write up! :D

I still say I want to do this with a Le Mans car. I still have to choose the car, but I guess the CLK-GTR won't be fast enough for this one :P
You in Formula GT: C9 - La Sarthe: 3'10.977
Me in GTWC: CLK-GTR - La Sarthe: 3'24.705 (14 seconds only on this track might be a bit too much, although I didn't practiced this one at that moment)

THANX ALL! ๐Ÿ‘ I must admit that I really enjoy sharing write-ups with other drivers who appreciate a challenge! :cheers:

@ Sjenk: I'm beginning to think that there might actually be "Different" AI combos with the Formula GTs! :mischievous: I ran a test at GVR using a maxxed out JGTC ride & was right with them at their first pit stop. In TWO subsequent tests I couldn't get closer than 20 seconds at the same point! :confused: MUCH more testing to be done before a serious attempt with a JGTC ride I'm afraid! :scared: ...O.G. :D

Cool....! I'm going to try this.... ๐Ÿ‘

I started Formula GT last night, in my silver Formula Gran Turismo '04... but was slightly disappointed... I won the first race by over 3 laps (with a fastest lap of 1'12.480 :dopey: ), but don't want to do the rest of the series if they are all going to be too easy... so Group C it must be...

Thanks again for another great write-up O.G...

Old Geezer !!

How on Earth did you race the Mercedez-Benz Sauber in this tournament where you unlock it from here ? =\=\=\

Talk about necro-posting....

In answer to your question, he raced the series first to unlock the C9, and then raced it again using the C9.

THANX senamic ๐Ÿ‘ ...O.G.
old.gif

I think I will try this in a full modded R390 race car.

KOOL!!! ๐Ÿ‘ Check back in & let us know how you do. I'm a great fan of the R390, especially after using the Road Version to best the GT World Champs Series. They drive well & pull like a freight train...O.G.
old.gif

KOOL!!! ๐Ÿ‘ Check back in & let us know how you do. I'm a great fan of the R390, especially after using the Road Version to best the GT World Champs Series. They drive well & pull like a freight train...O.G.
old.gif

Do you know anyone that has attempted it with that car? Ive done the championship with a Nissan R92cp. Then again I equipped it with a Stage 4 turbo. I'lll have a crack at it.

I, and several others, have used the black version with no power upgrades or oil change. It isn't very hard even against the fastest lineup, except at Super Speedway and La Sarthe.

I, and several others, have used the black version with no power upgrades or oil change. It isn't very hard even against the fastest lineup, except at Super Speedway and La Sarthe.

Is this the Formula GT cup you are talking about? If it is then wow. I haven't used the black version yet. I might try this out tomorrow

Oh. D'oh. :dunce: I mistakenly thought that this thread was one concerning the GT World Championship, not the FGT World Championship. Sorry. :embarrassed:

The R390 will be a big challenge if you want to win FGT, even with a turbocharger; LMPs have naturally better turning ability. The R8 and Bentley are very capable, as is the 787B.

Oooooops! SORRY SHAUN09, I got sidetracked as well! :embarrassed::embarrassed: Forgot to look back @ the fist page & must ditto Austin343's remarks...O.G.
old.gif

Oh. D'oh. :dunce: I mistakenly thought that this thread was one concerning the GT World Championship, not the FGT World Championship. Sorry. :embarrassed:

The R390 will be a big challenge if you want to win FGT, even with a turbocharger; LMPs have naturally better turning ability. The R8 and Bentley are very capable, as is the 787B.

Ive done it with the R8 and the 787B. I might use the Bently first, then try it with the R390. As for the GT championship I have done it with those cars already. The Super Speedway race In the FGT will be a pain though.

Back