A Few Queries From a Newcomer...

• Thread starter PeteK80
  • 13 comments
PeteK1980
Hi there...

I've had GT5 for three months now, its the first racing game I've owned for many years... I love the game but I'm running out of A-Spec races so I've been trying some different things and I'm struggling:

Open Lounge - Great in theory but like most aspects of online gaming its ruined by a few idiots... races often ruined by someone in an F1 car or someone driving the wrong way round a track deliberately crashing into people... oh and do I have to listen to everybody's conversations? Is there a way to filter out the plebs on-line and race more sensible people?

B-Spec - I originally started this as I thought I could train a driver up to be my partner in endurance races but apparently that can't be done, so what exactly is the purpose of B-Spec? It doesn't make me much money as I can make money more quickly by racing myself and the management element of isn't that useful as even at level 11 my B-Spec drivers ability is limited, to put it kindly. I've come across old dears on a Sunday afternoon that drive more aggressively...

Is there a quicker way of earning money? I want enough to buy a decent race car to let me do the last of the difficult A-Spec races but I'm on 650,000 and the 2,000,000 or so that I'll need is gonna take a while to accumulate...

I hope this post doesn't appear negative, I really do love GT5 but if somebody more experienced could give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong I'd be really grateful...

Cheers!!

Pete

Any internet game will always be ruined by idiots.

You can mute a player in the pre-race screen. Select there name and pick mute. If having trouble finding a race online with 'sensible' people, I would just change rooms. I generally look for lobby names that say what they are doing "600pp/street/clean" or something. But that doesn't mean there are not idiots inside. Usually if the room leader is sensible he/she will have a mic and weed out the people that are not playing nice. You having a mic helps as well, so if you are racing and see an idiot you can call him out, and maybe the leader will take action.

For making money, most people will say do the Indy race on American Championship @ extreme series in A-spec. In a corvette race car that will net you almost 100,000 in about 4 minutes. Also some of the seasonal events pay out pretty well. The lightweight seasonal's last race nets about 100,000 (i think) and it takes about 3 minutes.

B-spec can be boring, but it you can win some nice cars through it. You can use the remote race feature online and share you drivers to make money. I also setup a race I know my driver will win without me helping, start the race, see how long the race takes, right down the button presses to start the race again, and then set a timer on your phone and watch TV while you make money in the background.

For a more civilized experience online, head over to the Online race section of this forum.

The series are fun to participate in, and in my opinion extend the life of the game enormously, but you can also just find good, honest, people there who like to race clean.

(Sometimes some of them can take stuff a little to seriously, but if you try to race clean as well, they usually cut you some slack.)

Agreed with the online suggestion above. Joining random lobbies online is a crapshoot and there always is atleast 1 idiot.

For money seasonals are your best bet. As of right now the 2 best which make about the same per minute are:

K cup-eifel track- 3 mins for 100k cr.

Supercar festival-eifel track- 5 mins for 160k cr.

Both of those are found in the seasonal section (must be on psn) and make about 30k per minute. In all honesty though your looking at about 1.8 million per hour doing these constantly.

Next bets for money are:

La sarthe track in french seasonal- 4 1/2 mins for 120k
American championship or like the windy indy races.

Oh and b spec for me was only good for the x2010 and the rest of tge prize cars.

Good luck!

Agreed with both above. It's hard to enjoy online with the idiots, so find some people you enjoy racing with and FR them. Feel free to add me, don't think I'm an idiot, although I'm relatively new to online racing, but some may disagree :sly:

Any internet game will always be ruined by idiots.

Welcome to GTPlanet :D

I'd start by altering the above statement to "Any internet game will almost always be ruined by idiots."

Keep room hopping - in the end you'll find some good rooms!

I haven't seen a lot of that driving backwards/wrong car stuff for quite a while. I'm pretty selective about what rooms I enter now, and you see a lot of the same hosts over and over and once you figure out who's who, you keep going back to the same kinds of rooms and the racing is usually pretty good. Find room titles that make sense, and put your cursor over the room to see what the current settings are as well. If you see a title like "450-500pp street clean" and the current setting is 675pp, then likely the original host is gone and chaos reigns supreme, so avoid it to save yourself the hassle.

As for grinding cash, nothing beats "rubber band grinding". Do a search and you'll figure it out. When you get tired of A-Spec and B-Spec as it sounds like you are, and realize you'll have to put in hundreds of hours to get the cash and XP to go from level 35 to 40, rubber band grinding will be your new best friend. $1 Million credits per hour, $10 Million overnight...can't beat that with a stick...lol.

FIrst, I think open lounge is different from an open room on the server. Lounge is only for friends, and if you host you can kick 'idiots.' Also very useful, turn off mics when you first open the room, I believe it's one of the options. At least in your lounge it is. I always do this. If people want to chat they can just plug their computer usb keyboard in and do it pre-race. Shouldn't be clinking beer-bottles in our ears and saying stupid crap while we're trying to race anyway...I hate mics because ultimately they just become annoying unless you're the one talking and clinking and coughing and getting intimate with your dog or whatever it is people do that we have to listen to.

But I hardly EVER go into open rooms anymore. I try to fill up my week with series racing and testing with friends. Best way to go online IMHO. Not a single mic except maybe once that I've heard lately. Bliss.

As for B-spec, it gives you different prize cars than a-spec and that's about all I can say for it. Sometimes it can be fun but when you're losing it makes you want to hulk-smash because the driver is obviously making driving choices you would never make and sucking the life out of the car. I just have fun watching in cinema mode.

B-Spec [...] what exactly is the purpose of B-Spec? It doesn't make me much money as I can make money more quickly by racing myself and the management element of isn't that useful as even at level 11 my B-Spec drivers ability is limited, to put it kindly.

B-Spec is, as others have said, a bit of a let down, but not all is lost. IMO, it's good for the prize cars, and not much else. My strategy on B-Spec was to give Bob an overpowered car for every race with the best tyres available, and he'll usually win. If there's any you're having trouble with (like Historic Cup later on), then head over to the B-Spec forum to get some info on how to win.

You mentioned that you need around 2 million Credits for a car, but if you look at the prize matrix (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168769) you'll see that not only can you collect some cash, you may indeed win a car that you're looking for - every series you win will result in a prize car*, and some are pretty awesome!

In any case, best of luck!

* - the first time only, not every time, same as A-Spec.

Last edited:
The best points paying race I've found is the A-Spec Extreme American Championship. With a Ford GT LM Spec II (tuned) you can complete the race at Indy in 3:40...for 98,000credits, so in about 45min. (inc. re-loads) you get over 1Mil. in credits. Laguna Seca is more fun but takes longer (just over an hour) for the same amount of credits.

A McLaren F1 is only 1Mil. (plus cost of tuning) at the NCD and will win easily the extreme Euro, like the wind etc. 883Hp. @ 970Kg and it is a race car. Build up more points then get a Formula Grand Tourisimo (4Mil. at the UCD) then you've got a real race car!! One that even stupid Bob can win with.

H everyone, many thanks for your replies, it's so useful to get information from people on here who've got more experience of this than I have... hopefully see you all on a track soon!!

Pete

Back