A graph of tire grip on different surfaces.

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 37 comments

kekke2000

Premium
Sweden
Sweden
kekke2000
I did this just for fun. Thought I'd share it with whoever is interested :). The % is Weather/Surface and the number is lap time in seconds. Inters can be used on a very wide range and is actually not very far away from Hards on a dry track. Also regular Racing tires become useless pretty fast when it starts raining... really useless.

gt6_tirewear.png

The difference between inters and full wets seems rather small though, doesn't it?

I suppose it'd also be worth mentioning (just for clarification) that this would be the results from realistic grip setting, since most of us know low grip setting differs a lot in the rain.

That's really interesting, and a useful guide for people doing endurance races with a chance of rain. Looks like when running hards, if there is water on the track, you should probably start on inters. and the crossover between inters and wets is about 80% water, though the lap times at most look 3 sec apart, so it might be betrter to stay on inters depending on stint.

Because of the pit glitch in GT6 right now, it might be beneficial to see the delta between 1st stint slicks and 2nd stint wets/inters. It might show a different crossover point.

Either way, 👍 on the work!

Could we have sport softs measured by any chance? One of my racing leagues uses just Sport Soft and Heavy Wet compounds..

Now we would need the graph how long the tire lasts at different water %. In real world, wet/inter tires would get ruined very quickly on dry tarmac.

They also wouldn't lap that closely to actual dry tyres.

That's an F1 car with heavy downforce but the theory is the same for anything. The tread blocks will move around and cause terrible overheating. PD don't seem to simulate this at all.

Now we would need the graph how long the tire lasts at different water %. In real world, wet/inter tires would get ruined very quickly on dry tarmac.
..and i recon thats just what they do in gt6 too. I have had them on only few times, but i have a feeling that the grip is very similar to rh in dry or dryish conditions, but one will burn the tires off in no time. (less than 1 lap at Nurb).

The graph also seems to correlate to my gut feeling of interns beeing good until aroud 70% weather - after that one starts to hope he had put the wet tires on. :guilty:👍

but then i would have expected bigger difference in time between int and wet under 50% weather..:confused:

Since GT5, it has been better to run on racing softs rather than inters or wets, unless the rain % is close or higher than 50%.
So I suppose this graph is correct.

I ran a similar test on GT5 with almost identical results, although the data on slicks with 50%+ is a little error-prone as it's hard to get to their limit in those conditions. It would indeed be interesting to extend this to include sports and comfort tyres as these compounds should have less drop-off in wet conditions.

Only 3, also im not The Stig so the laps are probably not 100% concistant. It probably differs a bit from car to car and track to track aswell. But all in all I think it's an ok reference.
to be fair at Tsukuba,at least with me I can run a pretty consistent lap times. my lap times sometimes vary but usually with in a half second depending on,my mind set. If I'm calm,cool and collected and I don't try to race that stupid ghost car/navi I can run pretty decently. if I do,I tend to over drive a few spots.

Since GT5, it has been better to run on racing softs rather than inters or wets, unless the rain % is close or higher than 50%.

The graph doesn't actually show that, it needs more data points to improve the resolution - I'd prefer it if there weren't a best fit applied, too, let the data speak for itself. It's a great start, though!

The next thing, aside from adding the other tyre types, would indeed be relative tyre wear rate for all compounds and tread patterns. However, to test Samus's assertion, I suspect the dynamic temperature modeling is incomplete for all tyres, not just the wet-specific racing tyres (wear rates should be easier for PD to hack into the right shape, so to speak). Testing initial heating rate versus wear rate might be interesting to that end, as well as "overheating" performance, but I don't think we have short enough laps anywhere.

If we could make a simple circle, as a kind of ersatz skid pan at the GT Arena, for example, we could start to get some proper numbers there.

If we could make a simple circle, as a kind of ersatz skid pan at the GT Arena, for example, we could start to get some proper numbers there.
There's a skid pan at Streets of Willow, but it's quite small.

Last edited:
There's a skid pan at Streets of Willow, but it's quite small.
Yes, but we need a way of consistently timing "laps" at a given radius, which would determine speed dependent on car, its settings and - what we're interested in - tyres fitted. I've been thinking Streets is ripe for the new course maker, though...

Only when track grip set to low. Track grip set to real and slick tires quickly become useless after ~25%

Cool graph. I remember someone doing a similar test in gt5 with all the tires. Sports would be interesting. I use sports softs as a sort of 'cut slick' when the rain is unpredictable and on the cusp of either dry or inter tires

This is very interesting. I'd like to see all tire types measured for lap time plus durability in the dry and in the wet. Tsukaba seems like an appropriate setting for repeatable lap times.

Could we have sport softs measured by any chance? One of my racing leagues uses just Sport Soft and Heavy Wet compounds..

I'm pretty sure that Racing Rain Tires are faster than Sports Soft even when it's completely Dry.

Comfort Softs are faster than Sports Soft even starting around 50-60% wet.

Yes, but we need a way of consistently timing "laps" at a given radius, which would determine speed dependent on car, its settings and - what we're interested in - tyres fitted. I've been thinking Streets is ripe for the new course maker, though...

Very true - I'd imagined using a stopwatch but there'll obviously be human error (hopefully not more than 0.5 sec? From memory I was doing ~10 sec laps of the circle on comforts, so an error of ~5%). I think I used to view replays and use a cone by the skidpan as my lap marker. Looking at the OP graph, in dry conditions there's ~60 sec with differences of ~2 sec... about 3% difference... looks like skidpan method won't be precise enough. :(

As of 1.05, when racing the S-Class endurance races with weather, using Wet or Inter tyres is a huge waste. RH/RS tyres can do laps almost as fast as either wet tyre, and unlike the wet tyres they won't disintegrate when the track dries up again. I imagine however when in a player-created race with Grip Reduction on Wet Track/Edge on and tyre degradation off, these would be pretty accurate figures to go by.

Only when track grip set to low. Track grip set to real and slick tires quickly become useless after ~25%

Cool graph. I remember someone doing a similar test in gt5 with all the tires. Sports would be interesting. I use sports softs as a sort of 'cut slick' when the rain is unpredictable and on the cusp of either dry or inter tires
There's no "Low track grip option"... Only kerbs and off-track grip option to set (real/low)

Last edited:
There's "Low track grip option"... Only kerbs and off-track grip option to set (real/low)

Yes? Are you trying to say that option doesnt affect wet weather racing? It affects wet track grip and racing line grip as well, even in the dry. The option says it doesnt change much but the description really only scratches the surface.

Yes? Are you trying to say that option doesnt affect wet weather racing? It affects wet track grip and racing line grip as well, even in the dry. The option says it doesnt change much but the description really only scratches the surface.
As far as I know, the difference is the apexs, the kerbs, and the off-track parts. The tarmac, the inside of the track doesnt change. I did a mistake in the previous post btw. I fixed it now.

As far as I know, the difference is the apexs, the kerbs, and the off-track parts. The tarmac, the inside of the track doesnt change. I did a mistake in the previous post btw. I fixed it now.

The low/real track setting refers to off tracks like the kerbs, grass, sand, etc. and grip reduction due to water being on the track. So it does affect the overall grip level when it rains. The low setting has a lesser change in grip from a dry track whereas the real setting has a more extreme change in grip when it rains.

anybody knows what tire is better with 50% wet surface? Comfort soft - medium - hard / Sport soft - medium - sport hard???

i just saw this post, didnt realize it was so old. the data does seem to hold up pretty well too after patches. i would run intermediate in any amount of rain as long as its not dry for more than a lap or two.

jpcxn, comforts have tread and will handle rain better than sport tires, at anything above 10% i think comfort soft is the best option. although at 50% rain i dont know if the harder comfort tires will be better than soft. i just know that sport are not the way to go.

I haven't ran on a wet track in quite a while but early on I played with it and did not see results like what are posted in the OP. I did see that RS tires worked best under all conditions. I ran full RW and RI on semi wet and very wet tracks before going to RS and found that RS not only gave me the best grip on 100% wet tracks but also did not seem to wear at all when the track was really wet.

Latest Posts

Back