A list of changes to bring GT6 to the next level

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaDHaX
  • 10 comments
  • 1,658 views
Messages
362
United Kingdom
London
Messages
MadHax
Messages
M8DH8X
Hello everyone, first of all this is not a rant about GT6, I want to see PD's franchise be succesful and compete with the best sims on the market. Also if there is a similar thread I am sorry and this can be deleted.

I have been sim racing now on wheel for 5-6 years but have always played GT from the first version but bought my first wheel playing GT5P.

What I want to do is give a list of changes to GT6 that I think would make GT6 a better experience for us all to play and enjoy.

I thought it would be a good idea to post up a list of changes in the hope of PD seeing it and to have a rethink of some of the things in the game.

1. Sound - This has been an issue for a very long time now, even on the PS3 a decent car sound should be possible, maybe PD was to ambitious and tried to give us a more complex sound system that just doesnt seem to work. Personally I think they should of stuck to a more conventional method like what rFactor has.

2. Performance Points and Engine Limiter - The PP system has had some work done to it already but since this game claims to be a sim then I think it should be approached in a different method, such as completely removing the Engine Limiter or at least give an option to disable the engine limiter in an online lobby. Then focusing on making each car exactly how they should be in real life, after all it is much more fun to see these cars compete against each other in their natural form.

3. Better choice in cars - After playing other sim's for about a year I have realised that quality over quantity is the best method for a sim. IMO PD should take out all standard cars and return the most popular cars as premium DLC. PD should make a better choice in cars from the list of manufactures they already have. Cars that have legendary legacy should be in this title such as the RUF RGT-8, RUF RT 35, M3 E30, Ford Escort Mexico MK I, Ford Capri, Mercedes SL65 Black Edition, Ferrari F360 to name but afew. These cars had very good race versions too!

4. Custom parts - Each upgrade should have PP on them so that people can tune their cars to a specific PP, Wider rims means more grip that alot of cars need to be able to compete against the faster cars.

5. Custom Liveries - Would be a great feature added to the GT franchise, I'm sure alot of people would be happy with this. I for one would be able to have number plates in GT :)

6. Wheel Options - Every PC sim you can adjust individual force feedback settings and IMO GT needs it also. Also full animation of the wheels rotation and in sync with the degrees that the user is using.

7. Clutch - This needs to be improved and replaced with a clutch that simulates a real one. I heard that the clutch worked flawlessly in GT5P but was changed to keep the gameplay balanced between wheel and pad players, but if PD add's a clutch button then that would solve this issue.

I am sure that if PD could implement these changes into GT6 alot of people would appreciate the change and would probably get more peoples attention. Obviously GT7 on PS4 would be more appealing to alot of people out their because of the graphics but under the skin it would be screaming pure quality sim.

Let's have a sensible discussion here please guys and remember this is not a rant, I just want PD to carry on going in the right direction. Adding an Engine Limiter was going in the wrong direction IMHO.
 
Last edited:
I did see that but didnt post because it said no cars, and I wanted to recommend afew cars too.
 
I'm not new and yes I am aware of that but I'm hoping PD are going to make a change. Most sim developers listen to their customers, and some others even ask what kind of content they would like such as tracks and cars.

PD should have one of their staff engaging the public directly, I think that would show us that they care. Almost all sim developers have direct communication with the consumers, PD is the only one that doesn't. An interview every now and then with members from GTP is not the same as they are not asking us what we would like to see as extra's or advice on where we think they are going wrong. If they did they would have a very different response from us as a whole.

I notice people say there are too many whingers that are never happy with what we are given, but quite the contrary. We the consumer and apart of the large GT community would feel grateful if there was direct communication with PD. Look at Turn 10 they actually engage with their FM4 community and ask what kind of cars and tracks they would like to see. If we had that from PD then i'm positive the community would be alot more relaxed and grateful towards them.
 
2. Performance Points and Engine Limiter - The PP system has had some work done to it already but since this game claims to be a sim then I think it should be approached in a different method, such as completely removing the Engine Limiter and then focusing on making each car exactly how they should be in real life after all it is much more fun to see these cars compete against each other in their natural form.

4. Custom parts - Each upgrade should have PP on them so that people can tune their cars to a specific PP, Wider rims means more grip that alot of cars need to be able to compete against the faster cars.
You want the cars to be raced in their natural form , but you also want to tune the cars. Which is it? You want the cars to be tuneable or untuneable (In their natural form)?

I notice people say there are too many whingers that are never happy with what we are given, but quite the contrary.
Its quite true. About 90% of the threads in this forum are of complaints.
 
You want the cars to be raced in their natural form , but you also want to tune the cars. Which is it? You want the cars to be tuneable or untuneable (In their natural form)?

Its quite true. About 90% of the threads in this forum are of complaints.
Maybe you didn't quite fully grasp what I was saying. Alot of digital cars power and handling characteristics have been numbed down to keep a balance with other cars, what I was implying is that if each car represents its real counter part then that way all cars in its natural form will be represented then we could add upgrades that build up the PP, which means we would have to build a car from example a car from 456 pp to 500pp with all upgrades instead of bringing down a car from 550 pp to 500.

With all that in mind if we had an option to disable tuning and engine limiter then we will be able to enjoy all the cars in their natural glory. That is what I meant. :D

Hope that clears things up for you.

I like what PD has done with the new physics and i'm not whinging, I'm just stating some things that would further improve GT and make it more realistic.

It doesn't matter if PD does not listen because I have PC options, but the reason i'm stating these issue's is for the majority of us. If I think this way i'm sure there are plenty of others that do aswell. I'm pretty sure there would be a greater interest in GT6 if the above issue's are dealt with.
 
Last edited:
I think one way they've definitely improved GT6 was making all of the opponents stock instead of tuned or detuned, so a no-tuning run is more appealing and accessible to many people.

Another improvement I believe they should make: If you have standard versions of a car that is already premium, they should be considerably cheaper since they are of lower quality. Say the R34 GT-R V-Spec II Nur costs 70,000 credits, the standard non-special editions should cost less than 50,000 credits. Of course, the unique standard cars keep the same price.

I think doing this could help sell people over standard cars a little bit more.
 
4. Custom parts - Each upgrade should have PP on them so that people can tune their cars to a specific PP, Wider rims means more grip that alot of cars need to be able to compete against the faster cars.

That wouldn't quite work right. If they do PP properly, PP would represent the actual performance level of the car and adjust based on how upgrades affect that performance directly. Upgrades aren't just a flat rate, however; at least they shouldn't be. It shouldn't really be "this will add this much PP no matter what." Using horsepower as an example, adding component A might add 20 horsepower while adding component B might add 25 horsepower, but adding both A and B might not result in an additional 45 combined horsepower. Of course, this is based on a more detailed Forza-like upgrade system, whereby you have a lot of individual parts you can choose between rather than just upgrade package 1, upgrade package 2, and upgrade package 3. I don't know if GT6 improved over GT5's upgrade system in that regard or not because I haven't got to play it yet.

A list of changes to bring GT6 to the next level

5. Custom Liveries - Would be a great feature added to the GT franchise, I'm sure alot of people would be happy with this. I for one would be able to have number plates in GT :)

This would take GT all the way to 1997's Top Gear Rally for N64. PD are a little behind here; like sixteen years behind.
 
While some of the things in the Op would be good IMO the things that would make the most difference are not there and some that are there would not make the game much better.

The PP per part for example could be really bad for competition. Look at Forza for example. One of the biggest problems with the Pi system in Forza is how they assign PI when various parts are added to a given car and that amount varies by car. This is compounded by errors in the specs on many of the cars.

Maybe the best example is the transmissions, the PI cost of them and the default gearing on many cars.
Consider the 97 Civic, the 73 Trans AM and the GMC Van for example
The 97 Civic has a good gear pattern for racing as default. A race trans lowers the PI when installed
The 73 Trans Am has a horrible and unrealistic gearing by default in the game with a large gap between 3rd and 4th gear as do all Pontiacs in the game and having owned several Pontiacs I can insure you this is not right. Then when you add the race trans it costs around 20 or more PI which means you have to give up HP to fix the gearing and makes the car uncompetitive

The GMC van has such a high gear that you need to have about 700HP to even think about winding it out and it ends up being the fastest F class vehicle in the game. Who ever heard of a Van with a 3 speed gearbox that is geared to do over 150 mph stock but with an engine that does not have enough power to even get to 3rd gear.

In any case any PI/PP system needs to be well thought out and the more items you apply a PP to then the more likely it is to be broken as is the trans in Forza 3 and 4. In FM2 it was better as they charged you about 2-5 PI for a trans and you could put one in every car if you want without having to sacrifice 50 or more HP to get it.

Personally the changes I think that would make the game better are leaderboards, more options for online filtering allowing you to apply several filters at the same time, custom online events, custom offline events, better prize money for online races, dyno and telemetry tools, wider tire options, realistic engine swaps, race quality aero parts
 
While some of the things in the Op would be good IMO the things that would make the most difference are not there and some that are there would not make the game much better.

The PP per part for example could be really bad for competition. Look at Forza for example. One of the biggest problems with the Pi system in Forza is how they assign PI when various parts are added to a given car and that amount varies by car. This is compounded by errors in the specs on many of the cars.

Maybe the best example is the transmissions, the PI cost of them and the default gearing on many cars.
Consider the 97 Civic, the 73 Trans AM and the GMC Van for example
The 97 Civic has a good gear pattern for racing as default. A race trans lowers the PI when installed
The 73 Trans Am has a horrible and unrealistic gearing by default in the game with a large gap between 3rd and 4th gear as do all Pontiacs in the game and having owned several Pontiacs I can insure you this is not right. Then when you add the race trans it costs around 20 or more PI which means you have to give up HP to fix the gearing and makes the car uncompetitive

The GMC van has such a high gear that you need to have about 700HP to even think about winding it out and it ends up being the fastest F class vehicle in the game. Who ever heard of a Van with a 3 speed gearbox that is geared to do over 150 mph stock but with an engine that does not have enough power to even get to 3rd gear.

In any case any PI/PP system needs to be well thought out and the more items you apply a PP to then the more likely it is to be broken as is the trans in Forza 3 and 4. In FM2 it was better as they charged you about 2-5 PI for a trans and you could put one in every car if you want without having to sacrifice 50 or more HP to get it.

Personally the changes I think that would make the game better are leaderboards, more options for online filtering allowing you to apply several filters at the same time, custom online events, custom offline events, better prize money for online races, dyno and telemetry tools, wider tire options, realistic engine swaps, race quality aero parts
Understood and balancing a racing game must be a very difficult task to achieve, especially for a sim racing game, as the developers have to balance cars so they are fun and equal to race against aswell as try to keep the cars characteristics the same.
IMO I think the cars should just represent exactly how they are in real life. It wouldn't make much sense if a 40 year old car can compete with a modern super sports car in real life but thats just how I think, even if you were to upgrade both cars to a higher PP the modern car should still win if we are to be realistic about tuning. So either the game has to be slightly unrealistic in order for all the cars to be balanced or they can make it a realistic sim in which modern technology should be dominating. It is a very tricky puzzle to unravel and would probably cause migraines to try to solve it.

The transmission I think should have PP as the gears shift quicker which means slightly faster lap times, however I do agree with you that they should not add to much PI/PP to the cars but they do need some PP. There are quite afew things that does not add to the PP such as suspension, brakes, clutch plates, transmission, LSD, tyres, front and back downforce. Every upgrade I have mentioned lowers the lap times except for the downforce on some long tracks. The main point of having these upgrades with PP is so that the engine limiter could be disabled with an option, therefore giving the user the ability to fine tune to a certain PP. Because it isn't very realistic to have an engine limiter. You get all sorts of cars in a low PP lobby which is quite honestly laughable. I mean what are Lambo's and Ferrari's doing in a class that was not intendid for them to be in?

Saying all that though I have played FM4 for afew months and it was alot of fun, I spent more time customizing cars than actually driving them. But the driving and competition was also alot of fun. The fact that FM4 does not have an engine limiter means that you have to carefully choose the parts for your car to maximize PI/PP, which also means alot of trial and error for each track to keep the car competitive, I loved that aspect of FM4 and quite literally alot of cars could be tuned to perfection for close racing.

There were some cars that was just to fast in FM4, which is not surprising really as most games always have a handful of cars or in beat em games for another example a handful of characters that are always top tiers. Top tier cars and characters in a fighting game only materializes after some months of extensive gaming on a high level. In GT6 case I should think the fastest cars should be obvious in about 4-6 months for any given PP.
 
Last edited:
Back