A Little Help for the Lost Souls Trying to Drift on GT6 Physics

Spent a while tuning this car, its weight makes it quite a tricky one!

Id say aim for around 60-65% front stiffness and about 50% rear stiffness, this applies to springs, damping and ARBs. As for geometry i'm running about 4 front and 0.5 rear camber, some minor front toe out and a fair bit of rear toe in. The diff needs to be reasonably tight.

Yeah i got a setup form a forum member yesterday and its working pretty good, reminds me of how the Chaser felt in GT5.

Good to see, that i have a very similar tune to Mike's style of tuning, however i'm going to try replicating my IRL Setup to GT6 to see if its really that accurate.

I noticed increased input lag. Also cars seem to spin more easily or I am not getting enough FFB to catch it fast enough with Fanatec wheel. Mostly it just takes time to learn. GT5 was much more easy to drift especially with cars with MR layout.

Use in game ffb 7, sim steering, and no power steering. On your wheel use 100 ffb and drift mode 5.

If you want to drift without any tuning, get the Silvia Touring Car, put it on comfort hards, go to Autumn Ring or Tsukuba and you'll have a smile from ear to ear :-D

I noticed increased input lag. Also cars seem to spin more easily or I am not getting enough FFB to catch it fast enough with Fanatec wheel. Mostly it just takes time to learn. GT5 was much more easy to drift especially with cars with MR layout.
Which Fanatec wheel? I have been drifting for years with the Porsche Carrera wheel (geared version) and the right wheel settings are critical on mine. Unfortunately, the belt drive versions need a slightly different setup than mine. If you have the Carrera, I can post my wheel settings. The G27 finger slide doesn't work with ours. It's brilliant with the right settings though. I was able to drift a bone stock GT500 Mustang around Suzuka (CH tires).

If you want to drift without any tuning, get the Silvia Touring Car, put it on comfort hards, go to Autumn Ring or Tsukuba and you'll have a smile from ear to ear :-D

Good point. I have a T500rs wheel and I just want to drift without having to mess with tuning settings eg camber etc. which other stock cars are good enough for drifting?
Also do I set abs to 0 or 1?

Good point. I have a T500rs wheel and I just want to drift without having to mess with tuning settings eg camber etc. which other stock cars are good enough for drifting?
Also do I set abs to 0 or 1?

ABS at 1. I haven't tried any other cars but in GT5 the HKS Silvia was great on Comfort anything with no tuning.

Which Fanatec wheel? I have been drifting for years with the Porsche Carrera wheel (geared version) and the right wheel settings are critical on mine. Unfortunately, the belt drive versions need a slightly different setup than mine. If you have the Carrera, I can post my wheel settings. The G27 finger slide doesn't work with ours. It's brilliant with the right settings though. I was able to drift a bone stock GT500 Mustang around Suzuka (CH tires).

I use turbo S with latest firmware which has all available settings. Current settings are what
NorthwestsDopes posted.(with spring and damper at 0)

Try running a lower rotation in the sensitivity setting combined with a higher LIN. setting to soften only the center and a higher drift setting to keep it from fighting back when you counter-steer.

I switched from running:
SENS 730
FF 030
DRI 000
LIN 000

TO:
SENS 510
FF 020
DRI 003
LIN 010

For normal grip racing and It feels the same near center, but I can catch it when the rear breaks loose much better.

For Drifting with a real high angle setup, I ran a slightly more sensitive setup:
SENS 230
FF 020
DRI 005
LIN 030

I Drift cleanly around our local tracks and hit the clipping points using the same setup that I have been putting into GT5.
GT6 on the other hand is complete garbage.
I'm on a g27 wheel. GT5 was fine, but GT6 is a waste of time.

I Drift cleanly around our local tracks and hit the clipping points using the same setup that I have been putting into GT5.
GT6 on the other hand is complete garbage.
I'm on a g27 wheel. GT5 was fine, but GT6 is a waste of time.

Settings from your real car to GT6 or using tunes that you previously had on GT5?

Settings from your real car to GT6 or using tunes that you previously had on GT5?
I use all the same tunes. That's me in my avatar.
I tuned my real car with gt5. Then I stuck with that same tune till GTsux(6)

Last edited:
Right now my biggest issue is around smoothness, weight transitions and manji links.
Keep drifting along the corner is not a problem anymore.

They'd like us to think that they enlisted the help of KW suspensions, but it seems more like K&W Cafeteria.
That would explain alot.

They'd like us to think that they enlisted the help of KW suspensions, but it seems more like K&W Cafeteria.
That would explain alot.

OK we get it you hate it. You do realize that this game was not built around drifting. it is a driving simulator, drifting is only a small percentage of the players of the game. Now to help with the smoothness you are going have to do trail and error on your setups to get them as smooth as you were i gt5. PD has increased the grip levels of the tires and the suspension actually has a major affect on the car. there are adjustments that can be made so that you are smooth on the wheel but you have to take the time to lean them. Just as you I drift IRL as well but I have a differing opinion on how this game feels compared to gt5.

Yeah i got a setup form a forum member yesterday and its working pretty good, reminds me of how the Chaser felt in GT5.

WANT.

I have my Chaser set up pretty good in 6, but I couldn't tandem with it yet, like I could in 5. Would be interested to see the suspension settings.

Everything this guy says is spot on consistent with what I learned from 3 years drifting in GT5 and talking to Frederic Aasbo and Mike Whiddett (a treat if every there was one). GT6 requires an even better understanding to dial in your cars. My new stable of drift cars are slowly taking shape. See you on the track!

thank you! I will try this when I get home! I will tinker with my settings on my drift Sisters S13/S15 cars.

It's not any easier to drift with my Fanatec GT3-Rs in GT6 than GT5. Still very twitchy, and the wheel constantly needs to be modulated. Doesn't help that the Fanatec isn't fully supported. I might have to by a T500 just to drift with a wheel in GT.

Wow. This post was amazing.
I was just looking today for a real life suspension geometry setup for FD Cars.

I tend to try to make my drift cars in GT as grippy as possible.
In GT5 I always drifted on Sports hard and I terrific control while drifting. Most people were drfiting on Comfort hard which i didn't understand. I could make my drift look nice but it was not actually competitive as far as being able to control and place the car where I wanted it at any given time.

In Gt6 however im having a difficult time deciding what works best. Im having a really hard time nailing these tire physics and as of yet (one week owning the game) Im finding drifting to be a handful.

Its not time to give up yet ladies and gents! There is hope but it comes in the form of hard work. I got the game for Christmas and my first drift project on the game is a 1983 z31 turbo. I threw my basic drift tune from gt5 on it and I couldn't keep it on the track. So I put a little time into my tune returning to default suspension settings(adj coils) making small adjustments and testing them out for 2 or 3 laps. I would say the Z is at about 80% of its capabilities now and hopefully will be 100% by the end of the night.

Would any of you recommend lowering the force feedback on the DFGT? I use 9 and sometimes forget to change it before I try to drift, and I feel like me spinning the wheel so fast may ruin the gears or something.

Would any of you recommend lowering the force feedback on the DFGT? I use 9 and sometimes forget to change it before I try to drift, and I feel like me spinning the wheel so fast may ruin the gears or something.
I wouldn't personally. I run 10 all the time on my G27 and it's been fine. You may feel you might brake it by moving it when it's fighting you but it's safe to do so. Over time it feels less difficult to shift and fight the wheel

Back