A long history of tracks demolished/ruined, often for stupid reasons

The reason I thought A1-Ring was still called A1-Ring and was still sitting half-demolished was becasue I was using as my sourse www.etracksonline.co.uk which hasn't been updated since some time in 2007. If you know a better place, go ahead and mention it here...

Also, Portland International Raceway might end up going away eventually as Oregon is planning to build a brand new raceway about 3 hours down I-84 from PIR in a little town called Boardman. The track will be the Pacific Northwest Motorsports Park and will feature 8 courses. Supposedly, it was supposed to be completed this summer, but I don't have the confirmation of that anywhere.

Portland has talked about shutting PIR down several times and a new, larger, more dedicated facility just down the road would give them the excuse to close it and probably rip it up for housing or something.

EDIT: The facility is open. Seems like it's been completed for a while. But it's there.

Also, Portland International Raceway might end up going away eventually as Oregon is planning to build a brand new raceway about 3 hours down I-84 from PIR in a little town called Boardman. The track will be the Pacific Northwest Motorsports Park and will feature 8 courses. Supposedly, it was supposed to be completed this summer, but I don't have the confirmation of that anywhere.

Portland has talked about shutting PIR down several times and a new, larger, more dedicated facility just down the road would give them the excuse to close it and probably rip it up for housing or something.

So it's owned by the city? Or it's getting eminent domained?

So it's owned by the city? Or it's getting eminent domained?

PIR is owned by the City of Portland. Apparently, they renovated it in 2008. But, I lived in the Portland area a while and I remember talk about a major even for the track leaving and the future of PIR was really in question and I wouldn't put it passed Portland to shut it down despite spending the money to renovate it.

We'll see. It's safe for now...but...it is Portland.

OK, thanks. It probably would have taken months or years for me to find that out on my own.

I won't consider PIR safe unless and until a known & dedicated "car guy" buys it. It may look safe for now, but remember... it doesn't matter what country you're talking about, government and cars don't mix well.

OK, thanks. It probably would have taken months or years for me to find that out on my own.

I won't consider PIR safe unless and until a known & dedicated "car guy" buys it. It may look safe for now, but remember... it doesn't matter what country you're talking about, government and cars don't mix well.

Good point. And the PNWMP is privately owned and operated and it even has a car club. And I'm sure if it starts siphoning of races from PIR, Portland won't hesitate to shut it down to save them money. (That could happen anyway, though.) Portland has a LOT of history to it, so hopefully, if Portland tries to kill it, someone else will rise up and buy it. No shame in having two race tracks that close. California has about 3 or 4 within a few hours of each other. (Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Willow Springs and Infineon.)

Well about Pescara is not correct, that was not exactly a track but a street circuit, in fact you could still drive it.
I know the roads that made Pescara are still there which is why I said they don't exist as tracks any more.

I'm sure that each F1 ace from 1950 to 1973 would agree with that last bit.👎

Yeah it was a great track for low downforce/mechanical grip, fast cars...

Just like the ancient roman roads where great for wagons...

Silverstone has currently its best layout ever... IMO

And, if you can afford it, this is a good book too.

That's an insane price, especially when it's only £35.99 here

The reason I thought A1-Ring was still called A1-Ring and was still sitting half-demolished was becasue I was using as my sourse www.etracksonline.co.uk which hasn't been updated since some time in 2007. If you know a better place, go ahead and mention it here...

Another source you can check is the Motor Racing Circuits Database, it doesn't look like it's been updated for a long time but you might still learn about a few more tracks you'd never heard of before.

Last edited:
That's the last truly good Silverstone. R.I.P.

I must be looking at this with a completely different perspective to you guys. I don't know if it's the photographer in me, or something else. But I like corners, interesting corners at that and that particular Silverstone layout didn't have that (IMO).

Goldfields Raceway in South Africa was famous for a) being in the middle of nowhere and b) having a 1km+ long straight that lead to some epic racing over the years.

However, in the late 90's it was torn down and replaced by Phakisa, primarily on the basis DORNA would grant them a long term licence to hold Motogp there. Which it was, for 5 years. Then the money ran out, crowds didnt like the track so didnt trek to the middle of nowhere to watch events and Motogp left. Now no racing is held there to my knowledge.

White&Nerdy
Zwartkops

I have driven a C55 on the new layout in anger as a part of advanced driving course. The old layout was about 4000x superior :(.

I must be looking at this with a completely different perspective to you guys. I don't know if it's the photographer in me, or something else. But I like corners, interesting corners at that and that particular Silverstone layout didn't have that (IMO).

That's the whole point. It was a fast circuit with simple high speed corners on an airbase. Adding complexity to that is kind of missing the point a little. It's like adding sausages to vanilla ice cream. ( :lol: ) Same thing when they ruined Monza.

The changes are preferable to seeing dead tracks though, because that's what they would be otherwise.

That's the whole point. It was a fast circuit with simple high speed corners on an airbase. Adding complexity to that is kind of missing the point a little. It's like adding sausages to vanilla ice cream. ( :lol: ) Same thing when they ruined Monza.

The changes are preferable to seeing dead tracks though, because that's what they would be otherwise.

Its more like adding some flavour to ice (turning it into an ice cream) IMO but to each its own...

Its more like adding some flavour to ice (turning it into an ice cream) IMO but to each its own...

It's not so much to do with how much "flavour" a circuit has, as what sort of circuit it is. In the end, Silverstone was transformed into something other than its original design. Which had to be done if was to survive over the years.

Other circuits in this thread didn't really change much, if at all, and were killed off in the process, a bit evolutionary really. They couldn't adapt to the changing standards of the sport.

Fortunately, weirdoes like me ( :sly: ) can drive the older, simple and flowing circuits without fear of danger in racing simulators. Shift 2 was brilliant for bringing these older layouts to the consoles, for more people to discover them. 👍

Last edited:
It's not so much to do with how much "flavour" a circuit has, as what sort of circuit it is. In the end, Silverstone was transformed into something other than its original design. Which had to be done if was to survive over the years.

Other circuits in this thread didn't really change much, if at all, and were killed off in the process, a bit evolutionary really. They couldn't adapt to the changing standards of the sport.

Fortunately, weirdoes like me ( :sly: ) can drive the older, simple and flowing circuits without fear of danger in racing simulators. Shift 2 was brilliant for bringing these older layouts to the consoles, for more people to discover them. 👍

And even in Shift 2 old silverstone was the most boring track to drive on IMO and only worth driving with the older cars... as opposed to hockenheim wich IMO lost something with the layout upgrade...

Some like to drive on Daytona or Talladega others prefer Suzuka or Nurburgring... nothing wrong with that...

And even in Shift 2 old silverstone was the most boring track to drive on IMO and only worth driving with the older cars... as opposed to hockenheim wich IMO lost something with the layout upgrade...

Some like to drive on Daytona or Talladega others prefer Suzuka or Nurburgring... nothing wrong with that...

Nope, nothing wrong at all, but you seemed to highlight the problem yourself; they're only really great when you drive something suitable on them. I wouldn't want to drive old Silverstone with today's F1 cars. Then it really would be like an oval, but in anything else it's really enjoyable for me. Doesn't beat Rouen though :D

Unknown - Wigram (Christchurch) (New Zealand) is or was located on a former military airfield. Racing ceased when the facility was sold to a private owner who apparently didn't care for racing. I don't know if the facility still exists.
The Wigram circuit technically still exists as the airfield is still there, however the iwi that owns the land plans to build housing on the site. The airbase was in operation up until March 2009, when it was officially closed; now it's only used for the Wigram Air Force Museum. Final race at Wigram was in 2000, with the first in 1949.

Would've been neat if racing returned to the airfield, but as we have Ruapuna and the iwi owning the land about to build houses on it it'll never happen :\

Nope, nothing wrong at all, but you seemed to highlight the problem yourself; they're only really great when you drive something suitable on them. I wouldn't want to drive old Silverstone with today's F1 cars. Then it really would be like an oval, but in anything else it's really enjoyable for me. Doesn't beat Rouen though :D

Im glad we agree on something :D great track Rouen (both layouts)

have you ever had a circuit held in southeast asia called karawaci street circuit ?

The track was great,challenging,and may the one of hermann tilke masterpiece.

The indonesian A1GP is almost held in karawaci,but the financial problem,or whatever,ruined the event.

Now,it only just a pitlane,and start light.

Not surprised the Österreichring/A1-Ring/Red Bull Ring has got a mention, but at the same time I miss it more that it's not in F1 any more. The old Österreichring was indeed an impressive track, but the A1-Ring didn't spoil it too drastically (if you look at maps and on-boards you'll see much of it is similar, just a few corner profile changes - the biggest difference being turn 1 to 2, which cuts off a large, fast section of the older circuit on the newer one.

I always enjoyed watching the racing there on TV though, partly because it had three good straights into tight corners for overtaking, and partly because the scenery was stunning. I'd love to see it back in F1 - beats the hell out of most of the other stuff Tilke has done. After watching India today I'm begging to have the RBRing back...

I see Daan mentioned Reims as well. I drove the roads of the old circuit earlier this year and I can see why it was as revered as it is - would have been incredibly fast and challenging. The run down the old pit straight is so surreal today, seeing the buildings up ahead, but it's very good that a group of enthusiasts in France is actually restoring the old buildings now - they've already done a lot of repainting. Here's my car from earlier this year, looking back down the pit straight towards the "last corner":

DSC_0177-Copy.jpg

dsc_0180-copy.jpg

(Apologies for lack of both composition skills and vibrant colours in the pics - it was early in the morning, drizzling and bloody freezing when I was there, so not brilliant for grabbing photos!)

Pescara[/url].

Pescara should never be used as a real life circuit, as a video game circuit it would be fun but the reason it isn't and shouldn't be used is it is very unsafe. Although no fatilities were ever caused at the circuit the fact that the track ran alongside a cliff for almost a mile really gives a good reason for it not to be used. It would be a good fit for Motorstorm and for this thread though to be honest.

I think there is a place in this thread for the Daytona Beach Road Coarse, which was used for both Land Speed Records until the mid 1920's and Nascar into the 50's. There are also countless Nascar circuits that could be put in this thread, I don't even know where to start with that though. Possibly North Wilksboro.

Back