A New Experience!

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTCR
  • 30 comments
  • 2,781 views
Messages
190
Messages
DrifterZero93
I decided one day to take off the HUD and the map on a race, it was like a whole new game!

I made me concentrate more on the small things, how the car hits the red and white lines around corners, it was pretty amazing.

You should give it a go sometime, its like a whole new experience!

Chris
 
yup! :D its good to do that :D you learn alot about the car and the course :)
 
Yay, seconded. :D

I gave it a try last week and I just can't play with the HUD on anymore, at least, when using Premium cars.

The most awesome thing is that you actually feel like you're sitting in the car, there are blind spots, you'll use the mirrors and most important of all, you notice how the car reacts to bumps and tall curbs like you never did before. :D

Not to mention that you can appreciate the detailed interiors much more carefully. It's a joy, best option in the game to me. 👍
 
Totally agree. Makes premiums stand out that much more. I'm not the fastest guy out there but I drive without the line or the HUD and it makes the game so much more immersive and fun. Should be the default mode!!
 
Oh yeah agree all the way. So hard to use HUD after you've gone without! It turned enduros into a pleasure for me.
 
I like playing with HUD off, too but I keep the map on for the online races. I also like the Zoom option, it makes the field of view and sense of speed more realistic.
Edit: A dynamic cockpit view camera would make this game much better.
 
HUD as in the revcounter and speedo when using the hoodcam view, the two round dials?
 
HUD as in the revcounter and speedo when using the hoodcam view, the two round dials?

If you're in hoodcam view and see anything except the track and your hood then that's what we mean :)
 
If you're in hoodcam view and see anything except the track and your hood then that's what we mean :)

Well Im not sure how its classed but its the low view cam, no hood or any part of the car visible, just two dials. That's how I ride.
 
A week ago I did the same thing.... Started out with a Fiat 500 on the nurburg. 24 h course, 2 laps and right then and there I found the same thing as the rest you. It was a completely different experience. Well, the Fiat 500 race was just for the fun of it, so I went for the stronger cars, the 200-500 bhp cars and what surprised me was how well I actually knew the tracks, their breaking points and when to change gear. I've relied so much on the HUD to help me out, that I guess I've missed out on the feel of the car.

Not anymore.... This is the best thing ever, driving without the HUD. Also I've always raced with the skid recovery on, so while I was in the progress of making my racing a bit more authentic, I removed that too, so now it's all stock, tyres and so on. Even bette than the best thing ever. I was bored with the game up until this happend, now it just feels like a new game.

I can only recommend it. People will be surprised how well they actually know the cars and the tracks when driving without the HUD. Start out with the slower cars, to get the feel and then go for the faster cars eventually.
 
^^Agree with all of the above. Also just recently got into running Standard cars in the view where you can see a bit of the bonnet (hood) and no HUD, which is the next best thing - at least you can see what car it is!
 
I might try this when I finally get round to making my cockpit. The thought of it scares me slightly, do you all find you pick one car and learn it really well or can you adapt to any car fairly quickly? I think I've rushed through the game up until I got to the enduros, I was about to say maybe I'll slow down and take my time but I haven't made any career progress in months now!
 
I've always felt that using a wheel vs a control pad is the difference between driving and playing a game.

Using the cockpit view amplifies the sense of driving a car substantially. And, turning off all the other info makes it even more real feeling.

I use a HotSeat Chassis cockpit with a G27 wheel and a dedicated Samsung 32 inch HDTV.

Some cars have better interior views than others. For instance, the Vette Z06 has terrible visibility and no side mirrors. The RE Amemiya RX-7 is awesome. I ran the Tsukuba enduro in this car and never wondered what my tires were like, or when to make a pit stop.
 
I can live without HUD, unless if I'm driving a standard car...

It makes the game a lot more realistic.
 
Can't see the speedometer...

Just listen to the sound of it then you'll be set. Although I think that they could have leave the speedometer for standard cars even when the hud is off. I haven't tried endurance race before so I do want it if I use a standard car for fuel consumption, fuel gauge too.
 
5 Lap race at cape ring, Audi R10, No HUD. The absolute best.

Actually, no, Just the Audi R10 at any track with no HUD is the best.
 
How come you take those turns at marginal speed without HUD on? Just by listening to the sound of your engine?
 
I crashed at Indy with the HUD off using a Minolta. It was definitely a new experience for me.

It's much better with a Fiat 500, though. Probably because it's premium.
 
Last edited:
Driving without HUD is amazing, but some premium cars has the interior view very dark and it's hard to see the speed or the rpm. Have you tried the premium Lancia Integrale Evoluzione interior view? The steering wheel covers all the instrumentation.
 
Racing a Premium with no HUD is great fun. Only issue for me is that I like to use the 2x cockpit zoom so that the road is bigger on my flatscreen, and this obscures the gauges many times.

Still, Le Mans or the Ring at night, no HUD is pure driving bliss.
 
The interior of the 458 <3
 
I tried it during the Grand Valley endurance race and its nice because you can focus purely on the driving.

The only thing missing from the experience is a working fuel gauge and a pit board to see your lap & gap. Then you wouldn't ever need to turn the HUD on.
 
Tried hud off last night for first time. Really enjoyed it. Thanks to OP for the "huds" up!
 
Any premium I use will have the HUD and map off in cockpit view. It makes the experience so much more involved.

Last night I did a 30 race around Suzuka in the Stealth GTR. Manual, no HUD, no aids not even ABS and pouring rain all the way through, such a feat of concentration but absolute fun.

The only bone I have about having no HUD is that the fuel gauges don't work so it's hard to know when I'm running low on fuel (interior view).
 
The only bone I have about having no HUD is that the fuel gauges don't work so it's hard to know when I'm running low on fuel (interior view).

Ah for the endurance events yea!
 
Yeh hope for an update soon with the fuel gauges in the car!
 
Back