A New Movie showed at Asia Game Show 2009 in Hong Kong(two new course found)

• Thread starter tony1201
  • 254 comments
thank big sticky tires and that Low center of mass...at speed that car probably drives like it's on rails..

You forgot downforce...:)...looks like this car is created in a wind tunnel!!

About the sound,its amazing but also a bit wierd that this car has an engine runnung at at least 15.000 revs or so....as these cars run long races and are not allowed to change engines every race(please correct me here if i am mistaken...)surely this wont be the engine they use in the final car...and especially not in a future road version....it just wont last a very long time!

Maybe they put an old-ish F1 engine in to test the potential of the brakes and chassis??....

spy.

Wait, so the layout isn't as accurate, but the surface of the road is? If, say, a straight on a track is 1 km long in real life, but shorter in iRacing, where does the additional surface detail for the missing length of the straight go into the game? It's just absent? And if the straight in iRacing is longer than in real life, then where does the additional surface detail come from? They just make it up?
No, I think you've missunderstood. They laser scan the track layout, so the overall layout of thetrack is accurate to within millimeters, for example the width, lenth and curvature of each corner will be close to spot on. However, the detail within the track layout, the little bumps, imperfections in the road surface etc are modelled to a lesser degree due to technical restraints. The track layouts are spot on, but the track surfaces arn't as close, that said they're still arguably the most detailed around.

No, I think you've missunderstood. They laser scan the track layout, so the overall layout of thetrack is accurate to within millimeters, for example the width, lenth and curvature of each corner will be close to spot on. However, the detail within the track layout, the little bumps, imperfections in the road surface etc are modelled to a lesser degree due to technical restraints. The track layouts are spot on, but the track surfaces arn't as close, that said they're still arguably the most detailed around.

Ah, ok.

On the subject of laser scanning, do we even know PD doesn't use some sort of laser scanning to model the tracks? Their virtual representations of real tracks have always been lauded for their accuracy, so how would they achieve that without powerful tools? You could argue the imperfections in the road surface weren't there, but you could easily blame the hardware limitations of the platform. The Time Trial looks like a big improvement in that area to me. And we know they've been using laser scanning tech on the car models for years right?

On track modeling:

* Gran Turismo software designers typically spend at least one week at the track capturing data. Most of this is spent taking measurements, capturing hours of video, and taking up to 80,000 photos.
* The team uses architectural plans and blue prints to build the track model.
* Afterwards, it takes the team at least one year to graphically model the track.
* Yamauchi claims the accuracy of his teams track topography is +/- 1 cm.
* The Nurburgring took them a month to do, because all measurements had to be taken at night, when the road was not in use. During the day, they shot all the photos.
* Yamauchi claims most car manufacturers do not have the level of information they have on certain tracks.

This is an excerpt of an interview with KY where he speaks about track modeling among other things.

The full interview can be read here:
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_0711_kazunori_yamauchi_gran_turismo_5/index.html

Last edited:
You forgot downforce...:)...looks like this car is created in a wind tunnel!!

About the sound,its amazing but also a bit wierd that this car has an engine runnung at at least 15.000 revs or so....as these cars run long races and are not allowed to change engines every race(please correct me here if i am mistaken...)surely this wont be the engine they use in the final car...and especially not in a future road version....it just wont last a very long time!

Maybe they put an old-ish F1 engine in to test the potential of the brakes and chassis??....

spy.

As far as I know the 3.4l V8 engine comes from the Acura ARX. If indeed they make a road version down the line, it won't be anything like the SuperGT car, as GT500 has very, very relaxed regulations compared to any other GT series. Engines in GT500 don't have to be the same as the road car, they just have to come from the same manufacturer.

Many people say that GT500 cars with such freedom and very high downforce levels allowed, are closer to LMP cars than GTs. Times are certainly comparable. Even the Maserati MC12, so dominant in FIA GT, couldn't keep up a few years back:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/racing-forums/23799-super-gt-jgtc-maser-mc12-progress.html

lol.....

Mr. isn't anyschool degree. It's like Ms....

I obviously know that... My question was more aimed towards why they used Mister as his title vs. whatever his degree in education is, which is why I asked if he has any sort of significant education degree.

quick question what does overturning of cars mean ?
I'm really hoping that yaywalter is correct but if you live around here then this is what "turning over" a car means most of the time!:grumpy:
big.jpg

Yet, down here if you ask someone to turn over a car, it means to turn the ignition on and let it idle.

I just picture Jon Gaffigan when I hear or read those two words together....

"It's like when you go to a restaurant and you tell the waiter, 'Nah just put it in a box and a bag and I'll throw it away when I get home.'"

"That is so true!" Youtube the man, he's hilarious.

Back