A possibly more realistic way to drive in GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter exhorst
  • 20 comments
  • 1,964 views
Messages
206
i think i have found a more realistic way to drive in GT4.
Whenever i change gears when driving in manual, every gearchange i lift off the throttle, in other words, whenever i change gears, i lift off the throttle, switch gears and floor it again, i think it makes the driving more realistic, does anyone else do this?
 
This deserves the

kot5si.jpg


Award!

So what your saying is,you have invented a new way to drive by simulating a clutch-like action?

Good job.
 
There are times I wish I had a clutch button to push, but do I drive this way while shifting gears? Hell no! What worse way is there to lose time in driving?

Now, tell us what benefits you have gained by lifting off the throttle and shifting gears? Car stability? While downshifting, 95% of the time I lift off the throttle to brake. If I find myself bogging the car during acceleration, I'll downshift to the next gear. But I do not lift off the throttle.

The fortunate folks of this world who own a car with paddle shifting will probalby tell you they will not lift off the throttle to upshift either. A statistic stated by an announcer in F1 during 1996 time frame stated that the F1 cars tranny's shift up in .0001 seconds. That time may have been reduced since then, but I can assure you they do not let off the throttle to upshift.
 
^ I believe you may have just killed a little boy's dream. :nervous:
 
i forgot to mention that i didnt to the clutch like action during license tests because the times were designed without it. and i only do it in cars that require the clutch to shift gears up and down including f1 cars,

and there is no advantage really, but i dunno it might give ya more real life skills by practicing lifting the throttle b4 changin gears now in GT4

and u dont loose all that much time maybe even only half second a lap on normal sized tracks
 
I have read that some roadgoing semi autos shift better with a slight lift on the upshift and blip on the downshift... I used to lift slightly when driving a full auto when it was about to shift because otherwise that particular car lunged forward when changing gears.

I wouldn't bother in GT4 though because the game simulates the throttle lift on the upshifts, and blip on the downshifts for you anyway.

Interestingly, in Grand Prix Legends, despite having an automatic clutch, if you didn't lift off the throttle when upshifting, the engine would rev in neutral (and possibly overrev). It automatically blipped the downshifts though. A proper gearlever and clutch pedal would have been cool.
 
OLD news... Heck, I even use heel-and-toe in gt4! I know it's stupid, but it makes things more challengening!
 
NSX-R
OLD news... Heck, I even use heel-and-toe in gt4! I know it's stupid, but it makes things more challengening!

i dont think its stupid, u get a more rewarding feeling if you win a nice close race a more challenging way
 
There is a slight lag between the shift, if you release and throttle again it makes 0.001 seconds difference.
 
It´s all good as long as you enjoy playing it.
 
NSX-R
OLD news... Heck, I even use heel-and-toe in gt4! I know it's stupid, but it makes things more challengening!

As long as you know it's useless in GT4. Since the computer revmatches for you.
 
:crazy: Yea That seems more realistic. And this is to alfaholic, why would the *possibly* overrev when upshifting...? :crazy:

PrEtTy KiTtY!
 
this thread reminds me of the older one where that guy said you can simulate day/night in Sarthe I 24 hr by turning high/low the brightness of your TV..... 💡
 
stan394
this thread reminds me of the older one where that guy said you can simulate day/night in Sarthe I 24 hr by turning high/low the brightness of your TV..... 💡

I must've missed that one. Man, that's a trip!
attachment.php
 
well, gt4 lets off the throttle for you, I mean, just keeping on the throttle during a shift doesn't meen that you are still accelerating, in some cars with really heavy flywheels, it will take more than .5 seconds for the revs to drop, somtimes you may loose a mph or so. so I really don't see the point in letting off, especially since you are either using a sequential shifter, which is plenty fast in real life, or paddle shifters, which don't even require you to let off in real life. which brings me to a neat idea for gt5... only being able to use the paddle shifters in cars that have them in real life (f1, lmp cars, a few supercars, ect), or if you buy an electronic tranny. cmon, using the paddle shifters in a fiat 500 isn't exacally a "realistic simulator" :-P
 
I've done this a bit, and it does make it a tad more realistic and fun. This lift off theory tends to go out the window though when I'm racing hard or chasing for the place ahead of me - can't afford that 0.001sec to cost me the race you know... :nervous:
It's important to note though that while this is all good for road cars, many race cars and drivers will flat shift with no clutch, up and down the box. This includes manual boxes as well as sequential. The Australian V8 Supercars (which run a manual six speed dog box - don't worry if you don't know what a dog box is) are a good example of this as many drivers here will hold the throttle flat while upshifting (using no clutch obviously) and use no clutch on the down shift as well. Sequential boxes require no lifting of the accelerator and no use of the clutch while changing gears, and many of the top level race cars are using these now days. Formula 1, WRC etc... :)

Something else you could try is to impose your own 10sec penalties for heavy wall contact - this should make keeping the wheels on the road a bit more important. Anything for that extra realism - heck, if you have a really heavy crash you might even want to try breaking your arm or leg... :scared: :dunce:
 
I do lift the throttle when shifting. Ever since prologue came out I started doing it, now everything goes automatic. Every car is different though, as it always is, and the time loss is really minimal, and I just simulate GT4s simulation of throttle lifting :dopey: I don't heel and toe on downshifts I either brake or don't touch anything at all. I can heel and toe in most RL cars now but the plastic lego pedals of the DFP just feel unconfortable doing so. even with racing shoes :sly:
 
ferrari_chris
I've done this a bit, and it does make it a tad more realistic and fun. This lift off theory tends to go out the window though when I'm racing hard or chasing for the place ahead of me - can't afford that 0.001sec to cost me the race you know... :nervous:
It's important to note though that while this is all good for road cars, many race cars and drivers will flat shift with no clutch, up and down the box. This includes manual boxes as well as sequential. The Australian V8 Supercars (which run a manual six speed dog box - don't worry if you don't know what a dog box is) are a good example of this as many drivers here will hold the throttle flat while upshifting (using no clutch obviously) and use no clutch on the down shift as well. Sequential boxes require no lifting of the accelerator and no use of the clutch while changing gears, and many of the top level race cars are using these now days. Formula 1, WRC etc... :)

v8 supercar drivers do actually have to use the clutch for downshifts but not upshifts

and to Jamezracer:
yes there is the delay between shifts in GT4 anyway, but if you flat shift (not lifting off the throttle) IRL there is still a delay, lifting the throttle in GT4 is just impersonating what you do IRL.
 
NSX-R
OLD news... Heck, I even use heel-and-toe in gt4! I know it's stupid, but it makes things more challengening!


I think you mean thumb and index finger lol :)

edit: makes more sense this way..well i'm not sure it makes more sense but it sounds better 👍
 
R390GT1
:crazy: Yea That seems more realistic. And this is to alfaholic, why would the *possibly* overrev when upshifting...? :crazy:

PrEtTy KiTtY!

I don't understand your question.
 
Back