A (small) GT5 Drifting Scene Revolution

Do you think this small revolution should happen?

• Yes

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
Germany
Krautland
LukeCannotSkate
Hello,

I'd like to share my personal opinion about a small GT5 drift revolution with you. It's as easy as it sounds:
What about making comfort mediums the new ultimate drift tires?

Many people complained about the sloppy grip of c hards, a feeling like you are on ice. Well I can fully verify these statements and as I have tested C mediums for several times I can say that they give a better, more realistic feeling of a normal proper street tire like they are used for drifting in real life all over the world.

Vote if you agree on this and if you also think this scene needs a little make over like this
Drift events, competitions but also the fun drifting scene would upgrade to these tires.

Thanks

It would cause more harm than good, it's fine as it is. Who made you the scene god anyway Lukas? :sly:

I did think of this a while back, but since i only drift <400bhp cars really now, I prefer comfort hards for them...

I think that revolution should happen, I was using Comfort Softs in the beggining but switched because of competitions and tandems.

I don't agree fully, if you were to make a change it should be to comfort softs because comfort mediums still don't give the lower horsepower cars (<-400hp) enough grip to keep up with supercars (550hp->). If it doesn't make a big change for everyone my make the change at all? Comfort hards provide plenty of grip and since CM's don't change the fact low hp vs high hp problem I don't think we should change.

I started out on sports hards and then switched to comfort hards. It was tough to transition because of the "ice" feel but comfort hards forces the player to be more skillful with throttle control and steering inputs (with DS3 or wheel) once they do master the "art" of comfort hard drifting.

I don't know if this will catch on. Sure, the drift speeds will be faster to some extent. Most of us who have been drifting GT5 from day one are fast on comfort hards (fast enough to keep up with comfort med users). The biggest change between hards and meds is that the speeds in between corners will be faster requiring heavier braking during drift initiation.

There does appear to be an increasing "voice" of trying to get comfort medium usage more accepted as I have seen other people talking about this as well. Personally, I have never tried comfort meds and I never even considered it until I read your post. I will have to test this out with the team and see if there is any validity.

I don't think comfort hards are bad , you can still gain huge levels of grip you just need a decent tune ;)

Tuning makes all the difference!!! 👍

Its just physics that show 400hp cant keep up with 600+.

The change needs to be made because CH's feel too much like drift on snow tires. Even you everyday road tire IRL does not feel like CH in the game. Now give me a sec, im not comparing the two because I dont like to do that, but when you go from drifting IRL to drifting online you notice differences. Its takes alot of hp to be able to spin your tires from 1st to 4th gear, but yet on CH's i can do that in a 230hp Trueno. Something isnt right there. I have been drifting on CM's for the past hour and am about to make the change on all my cars.

I don't agree fully, if you were to make a change it should be to comfort softs because comfort mediums still don't give the lower horsepower cars (<-400hp) enough grip to keep up with supercars (550hp->). If it doesn't make a big change for everyone my make the change at all? Comfort hards provide plenty of grip and since CM's don't change the fact low hp vs high hp problem I don't think we should change.

I don't think comfort softs are the answer either. Lower HP cars should not be able to keep up with Supercars though. Who would expect a AE86 with 220hp to keep up with a stock Viper? It wouldn't happen in real life or in a game.

Comfort softs would only make the supercars better as well. There would still be a gap between low HP cars and supercars - its just the nature of the beast. The only reason this happens in real life is because of money.

You can be sure that your Viper on comfort softs against any low HP car in comfort softs still gets dominated. You would just win the contest faster than on comfort hards (time wise). :sly:

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that someone had come up with this comparison between GT5 tires and real life tires. It was from a reputable source, but I can't remember who it was, so my apologies. It went like this.

Comfort Soft - Comp spec drift tire
Comfort Medium - New street tire
Comfort Hard - Worn street tire

Based on that, making the switch makes sense to me. I've never really drifted on CM before, but I will give it a try this weekend. In all honestly, it really doesn't matter what tire we as a community use...I use CH cause that's the standard. But if for whatever reason we determine that CM is better (more control, more realistic, etc, whatever it is) then I don't think making the switch would be too difficult.

I like to think this community is pretty mature, and while yes people will always drive on what they want, I think mos people around here would accept a change without too much fuss, provided the right amount of thought and testing goes into it. I see the greatest resistance coming from non GTP CH drifters, as they will probably be like WTF Mate?

Anyways, like I said, I'll give it a try this weekend and see how things go.

I don't think comfort softs are the answer either. Lower HP cars should not be able to keep up with Supercars though. Who would expect a AE86 with 220hp to keep up with a stock Viper? It wouldn't happen in real life or in a game.

Comfort softs would only make the supercars better as well. There would still be a gap between low HP cars and supercars - its just the nature of the beast. The only reason this happens in real life is because of money.

You can be sure that your Viper on comfort softs against any low HP car in comfort softs still gets dominated. You would just win the contest faster than on comfort hards (time wise). :sly:

On comfort softs a trueno can't keep up with a viper and I know they should be able to regardless thats silly :crazy:, but comfort medium tires don't change much. It's such a hassle to try to change the globally accepted tire. Comfort softs are not the answer and that's not what i'm saying. What I am saying is changing the tire will give more grip but even that grip isn't 100& realistic. And if its not going to make a big difference when it comes to realism then why change the tire? GT5 as a whole is not realistic when it comes to drifting. :/ Not that I have any real life drifting experience (Lots of driving even some fake-me-out autocross) however, I do know that people with driving and drifting experience know that no tire on GT5 is close to real life when it comes to drifting. Cruising maybe (Don't know about racing). My big point here is an increase in grip doesn't make up for all the other flaws; it just adds grip (and its not even a humongous difference grip wise).

EDIT: If the tire standard for drifting does change (Which I doubt it will) I will not have a problem switching to comfort mediums but you gotta remember that 90% of the GT5 drifters accept Comfort hards as the drift tire and I can guarantee you this, GTP is probably only 20% of all drifters on GT5.

Its just physics that show 400hp cant keep up with 600+.

The change needs to be made because CH's feel too much like drift on snow tires. Even you everyday road tire IRL does not feel like CH in the game. Now give me a sec, im not comparing the two because I dont like to do that, but when you go from drifting IRL to drifting online you notice differences. Its takes alot of hp to be able to spin your tires from 1st to 4th gear, but yet on CH's i can do that in a 230hp Trueno. Something isnt right there. I have been drifting on CM's for the past hour and am about to make the change on all my cars.
Lol, "monsterGAUZ makes a random suggestion, better follow it" 👍

Yes, definitely agree. I've been on Comfort Medium today testing them out & they feel great. My 240 is heavenly smooth. They have the the perfect amount of grip in my opinion, softs have a bit too much & hards a bit too low, that's why the cars sometimes slide out a bit too much. Plus I've been getting the same angle, obviously a bit more speed and still keeping it on the line.

By the way, accidentally voted "no", meant "yes".

Lol, "monsterGAUZ makes a random suggestion, better follow it" 👍

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. That would be funny if it were true but I gotta vouch for SPANK here. About 2 months ago we were talking about comfort hards vs comfort mediums and he said he preffered comfort mediums and he might even make VDC S3 users run comfort mediums (Too bad VDC is on hold :indiff:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. That would be funny if it were true but I gotta vouch for SPANK here. About 2 months ago we were talking about comfort hards vs comfort mediums and he said he preffered comfort mediums and he might even make VDC S3 users run comfort mediums (Too bad VDC is on hold :indiff:)
Problems I can see is... if you allow CM there will no doubt be some who are gonna still use CH in those rooms, which will cause crashes/arguments. If we really think CM are better, why did CH become the universal tire? :scared:

It's not gonna solve the low powered vs high powered cars problem, if anything it will make it worse, but that's physics, there's no changing that. I'm not sure why that even came up because it's irrelevant. Unless you're suggesting that low powered cars will use CM to keep up with high powered cars on CH, but it won't go that way, if people start using CM (especially lukas) people will just jump on the bandwagon.

Honestly, don't be afraid to try something different guys. I thought they were going to suck but I was really surprised. Once you get used to it you won't notice the difference. I get that you guys used to Hards but we are in a world of constant changes. For example, FormulaD drifters are always experimenting with different stuff. Who knows what would have happened if Vaughn Jr. never changed to the Mustang :lol: just an example. But seriously, try them I bet a lot of you will be surprised too.

I learned on CS. Then switched to CH to be able to compete. To me switching to CM will dramatically improve everything. Speeds will be more realistic. They are able to get about the same amount of angle with just more speed which means more skill will be needed. I voted yes as I am all for it.

I like mediums! This is a sweet idea and thanks gauz for bringing it up.

I think ... The only real problem is the "Option" / "Restriction" of Tires / Online Rooms ...

CH [-] *
CM [x]
CS [-]
SH [-]
SM [-]
SS [-]
RH [-]
RM [-]
RS [-]

I think all it takes is a person such as Spank to limit one of the best Drift Competitions such as VDC to Comfort Mediums. Everyone would practice on them and everyone would end up using them. 👍 ;)

I think ... The only real problem is the "Option" / "Restriction" of Tires / Online Rooms ...

CH [-] *
CM [x]
CS [-]
SH [-]
SM [-]
SS [-]
RH [-]
RM [-]
RS [-]

Simple, you lock it between CH and CS.

Revolution sounds good, I drift on CM's every now and I can feel a little bit of grip difference.

Actually after trying it again, its been a while. I wish I could retract my vote for yes and say no. I dont feel like having to go back and change my tunes. CM's feel great but I hate having to slam on the breaks for transitions and and corner entrys. So MY Vote IS NO.

I will test some more. If i like further results, VDCS3 will be changed to CMs.

Latest Posts

Back