A-spec Race Challenges #5: 07/08/2014 - 21/08/2014

• Thread starter et_
  • 267 comments
Beginner and Inter I used my trusty '79 Civic, it has to be one of coolest cars in the game :lol:.

I don't have many race cars in my garage, so tried the RX7 Touring Car at the Nurb. It had a tune I used for the Red Bull Ring TT - big mistake as I had made the rear loose to drift the back end round those tight corners; not suited to the North Loop at all. Fiddled with it a bit but ended up with understeer and oversteer and fourth place.

Gave that up and bought an '05 Supra Base (assume it is the Yellow Hat without the Yellow) and a mid range turbo. Much more stable, though I reduced the extreme toe and lowered the camber, adjusted FD and diff', left the rest of the suspension.

600pp is tough for me at this track with DS3 - easier with the better car but still 2nd and 15 seconds behind after two complete races. Maybe I'll make a couple more attempts...

Yes, I used the default aero values, and they worked well. Let me know if you discover better settings.

OMG you were right, what a difference... The car feels faster with the same grip... Improved my best lap for 5 seconds... 👍

TY! :)

Intense battle in a GT-R GT500 Stealth. Overtook the lead car at the beginning of the final straight. Then it drafted past me! :scared: Side by side through the kink. Just managed to get in front of him at the end of the straight. Lap time 6:36.430. Total time 7:28.x.

This seasonal changed the Ring for me from scary to fun! :D

After numerous 2nd place finishes at the 'Ring in a Nomad Diablo and VW GTI Roadster VGT, I gave in and ran the 2J so I wouldn't have to look at that one silver trophy on my Seasonals menu anymore.

This race really made me realize that I'm a lot better with street cars than I am with racers.

After countless tries using the '06 Raybrig NSX with different set-ups and different fields, and even more tries with a Base Model '08 NSX powered to 600pp, I finally gave up and grabbed the TS030 for the Nurburgring event. Won the race on the first try by 8 seconds even after a big crash with an AI mid-packer. Total race time was 7:13.326 when the best I could manage with the NSX's was in the 7:30-7:40 range. Oh the wonders of a 450-pound advantage and twice the downforce.

OMG you were right, what a difference... The car feels faster with the same grip... Improved my best lap for 5 seconds... 👍

TY! :)
No problem. One more tweak... I haven't been able to beat my best time, but found I could consistently come close by adding a bit more downforce up front. I tried 500 (front) and 680 (back). You may need to tweak based on your driving style.

Edit: Make that two more tweaks. I will amend what I said previously about adding ballast. If you add 200 kg to ballast (and increase power) the handling gets dicey. I just tried adding 80 kg of ballast, allowing power at 499 hp. Handling was a bit worse, but worth it. I ran a 6:11.729 lap, which is nearly 2 seconds better than my previous best.

I love the TSO30. :)

Last edited:
Woohooo! I did all three using only Corvettes! Tsukuba with a stock (except SH tires) C2, Silverstone with a stock (again SH tires) C7, and Nürburgring with a 600PP C6 Z06 LM (previously tuned to C6.R GT1 specs).
Would you mind sharing the tune for the Z06, to set the car to C6.R GT1 specification. I would love to apply that to my Z06 LM. You don't know how bummed out I was that the C6.R was not included in this game. :(

Very good seasonal challenge! As a total noob i've kinda learned The Ring! Racing it with Z06 LM and good old Ferrari 330 P4 with Praiano's tune!

Anybody try the expert race with Senna's WSR f3 car? I just want to podium with it, i keep get 4th and 25 seconds off leader =\

I'm going to try this again. It was fun. Got second after being sandwiched between 2nd and 4th down the straight.

image.jpg

Edit:

It's not overtaking, it's not undertaking, it's penetrating.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing the tune for the Z06, to set the car to C6.R GT1 specification. I would love to apply that to my Z06 LM. You don't know how bummed out I was that the C6.R was not included in this game. :(
I'll fix that tonight. At work atm. I'll send you a PM with my tune.

I'm going to try this again. It was fun. Got second after being sandwiched between 2nd and 4th down the straight.

View attachment 207393

Edit:

It's not overtaking, it's not undertaking, it's penetrating.

View attachment 207411

Oh, great to see this. I thought I was alone being blocked by two freaking cars or sometimes 3 or even 4 for the entire road almost all the times. Did you give them a light touch or rear end them to penetrate through?

Your AIs run a lot slower pace lol (almost 8:00). Mine is usually in the 7:20ish finish time.

Ashamed to say this, but after a few attempts with BMW M3 Motorsport and Viper GTS-R, I was very frustrated to be behind by a consistent 3 seconds, and always to a GT-R Touring. Frustration mounting I switched on SRF and threw together my own AWD attack with the quattro Pikes Peak just to give myself a laugh. Suddenly myself and the leading Viper GTS are on the last straight and I barely pipped him through the final corners. I don't usually use SRF, but when I do, I make myself look like a total hack.

Oh, great to see this. I thought I was alone being blocked by two freaking cars or sometimes 3 or even 4 for the entire road almost all the times. Did you give them a light touch or rear end them to penetrate through?

Your AIs run a lot slower pace lol (almost 8:00). Mine is usually in the 7:20ish finish time.

Damn. I didn't notice how slow that lead time was. I might have to give the WSR another go with a different lineup. (I wonder if the time is slow because of the lineup or if the AI is rubber-banding back for the slower car.)

As for that "penetration," they were running side by side as I came upon them. I couldn't see any way around or under (going into grass is a restart offence), and so I went for the gap. They closed it though. Fast! So I didn't actually make it through. It did lead to one of them going ahead, and so I was able to undercut the slower one at the next corner and then repeat the process at the following corner for the faster one.

Edit: I've come across three cars mingling before, but I don't think I've ever seen four.

Damn. I didn't notice how slow that lead time was. I might have to give the WSR another go with a different lineup. (I wonder if the time is slow because of the lineup or if the AI is rubber-banding back for the slower car.)

As for that "penetration," they were running side by side as I came upon them. I couldn't see any way around or under (going into grass is a restart offence), and so I went for the gap. They closed it though. Fast! So I didn't actually make it through. It did lead to one of them going ahead, and so I was able to undercut the slower one at the next corner and then repeat the process at the following corner for the faster one.

Edit: I've come across three cars mingling before, but I don't think I've ever seen four.

Same here never four just three at the most.

I'm missing this event already. I ended up winning in these:

YellowHat YMS Supra '05
Keihin HSV-010 '12
TS030 Hybrid '12
Zonda R '09
2J '70
Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '97
HSV-010 GT Base Model '12
330 P4 '67 (stock)
McLaren F1 GTR (KKUKR) '95
XJ13 '66
YellowHat YMS TOMICA GT-R '08
Z4 GT3 '11
GT-R R35 Touring Car
Mark IV Race Car '67
SKYLINE GT-R R32 Touring Car
2000 Ford Falcon XR8

The Ford Falcon XR8 one was a bit odd. It was the slowest AI I experienced with a time of 7:41:715. In this race, an SLS AMG GT3 '11 started out front but finished 5th. A Camaro SS Touring Car '10 came in second behind me.

I'm missing this event already. I ended up winning in these:
Yup...I'm going to definitely miss this event. I wasn't as successful as you were with such a diverse array of cars, but I loved the challenge. I probably came in 2nd place more than I won, but that's ok. This has definitely been my favorite Seasonal Event so far.

Yup...I'm going to definitely miss this event. I wasn't as successful as you were with such a diverse array of cars, but I loved the challenge. I probably came in 2nd place more than I won, but that's ok. This has definitely been my favorite Seasonal Event so far.

Those are just the ones I won in. If I had to list all the attempts, all the second places, and all the restarts, the list wouldn't look quite so good ;)

GT5 had a Mercedes/Nurburgring special event section. In order to get gold, you had to race without race lines and aids in certain Mercedes cars over certain sections. The times required were demanding, and it to taught me more about the track and where I could gain time. It's a pity that there's no equivalent for GT6.

This event is also the closest GT6 has come to matching the notorious GT5 Lamborghini seasonal challenge on Nurburging. There was only a single car with a single tune that I could ever manage to gold that one in. I think the limit was 550pp and the Gallardo was the car.

Me too missing this event as well.
List of cars i won with:
2000 Ford Falcon XR8 (Not as good as GT5 version):banghead:
330 P4 '67 (Brilliant car luv to drive one for real):bowdown:
Camaro SS Touring Car '10
Castrol Tom's Supra '97
Corvette Z06 (C2) Race Car '63:eek:
FTO Super Touring Car:tup:
GT-R GT500 Base Model
GT-R GT500 Stealth Model (great drive and fastest):embarrassed:
HSV-010 GT '11 AE
HSV-010 GT '12 BaseModel:scared:
impeza Super Touring Car (Great drive)
Raybrig HSV-010 '12 (Great drive)👍
Woodone Tom's Supra '03 (excellent drive)👍👍
XJ13 '66:drool:
Z GT500 Base Model '06

Heaps of fun.:D Bye Bye Nord my luv.:(

Me too missing this event as well.
List of cars i won with:
2000 Ford Falcon XR8 (Not as good as GT5 version):banghead:
330 P4 '67 (Brilliant car luv to drive one for real):bowdown:
Camaro SS Touring Car '10
Castrol Tom's Supra '97
Corvette Z06 (C2) Race Car '63:eek:
FTO Super Touring Car:tup:
GT-R GT500 Base Model
GT-R GT500 Stealth Model (great drive and fastest):embarrassed:
HSV-010 GT '11 AE
HSV-010 GT '12 BaseModel:scared:
impeza Super Touring Car (Great drive)
Raybrig HSV-010 '12 (Great drive)👍
Woodone Tom's Supra '03 (excellent drive)👍👍
XJ13 '66:drool:
Z GT500 Base Model '06

Heaps of fun.:D Bye Bye Nord my luv.:(

Very nice list! I wish I had gotten around to trying a few of those. I missed the FTO that I probably should have tried. For my money, the YellowHat Supra was my favourite, and it seems to be often overlooked.

For those who lists the cars that win. Can you post a corresponding total time? An estimate or average is fine.

I've posted images on page 7. The second post is I believe post: 9973366. There is also the WSR one that comes after that.

Other images I have not uploaded from that race are the following:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking for a bit of a fun challenge? Pimp out your '67 El Camino for the Beginner race and go for the win.

It was so much fun I had to watch the replay after I was finished (something I never do).

Back