A stupid Idea: Car dealerships.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chagen46
  • 40 comments
  • 3,819 views

Chagen46

(Banned)
Messages
155
Messages
Chagen46
Messages
Tagento66
Okay, I've got this really stupid idea for GT5: upgraded car dealerships.

Please Note: This is not meant to be taken seriously. I am well aware that PD has enough on their hands right now; this is just a little idea, and in no way do I expect it to be in GT5.

While the CD's in the past were fine, I think GT5 could be insanely awesome if you actually had the ability to walk around them.

Okay, it would go like this: You pick a dealer-let's say Nissan here-- and you get loaded into the dealer. Here, you would have a first person view, and could walk around and inspect all the cars. For example, there could be a brand-spanking new GTR sitting to your right, with a 370Z to your left. A salesperson would be in there, talking to you about the vehicles, and informing you on what he/she thinks you should buy.

But let's you want something used, or classic. Just give the salesperson a little heads-up,and they could steer you to another section of the store--if you really wanted to, you could walk there yourself--and there would be some used cars, plus some classics.

Continuing on, you come across a locked doorway. You turn to the salesguy, and ask him, "You know I've been looking for JGTC cars. Could they behind this door?"
He replies, "Yes...but those are too our more....privelged customers, sir."

So, if you the correct liscense (Or bribe him, if you're feeling dirty), he'll gladly open that door, where are the really high-performance race cars are kept....

You drive out of the dealer, with a new XANAVI Skyline Touring Car.......

TL;DR: Basically have the ability to walk around dealer's to get cars.

What do you think....? I know it's really stupid, but I like it.... and please, read the disclaimer at the top of thread!
 
PGR2 had that except for a salesman. I think having a 3d salesman is a little over the top, but a background voice would be a nice touch if it told you trivia info about the car you selected as you freely walk through a display.
 
Yep, this kind of thing may well be seen in racing sims in the near future. It goes beyond just car-dealerships. You could do stuff around the pit garage for changing car setups, viewing telemetry etc. The problem is some people would want it, others would want the quick menu-way, so both would need to be catered for somehow.
 
Sorry but I think that's a lot of faffing about. It might be fun for 30 seconds but then it'll just be irritating. It annoys me enough in GT5 prologue that the cars spin in such annoying ways you can't see them properly. Give me the old GT style of a spinning podium and I'll be happy.
 
Sorry but I think that's a lot of faffing about. It might be fun for 30 seconds but then it'll just be irritating. It annoys me enough in GT5 prologue that the cars spin in such annoying ways you can't see them properly. Give me the old GT style of a spinning podium and I'll be happy.

Hm.....how about the ability to use a good old menu if you don't feel like walking around?
 
Hm.....how about the ability to use a good old menu if you don't feel like walking around?

I guess it might work if each car had the option of a 'tour' and narrator (like has been said above). But as the default option, it might get annoying.
 
Also, you should be able to haggle the price of the car. You know, Negotiations.


Or you could just pull out a gun on him.

They call it "extortion", but I like to call it "convincing".:sly:
 
Sorry but I think that's a lot of faffing about. It might be fun for 30 seconds but then it'll just be irritating. It annoys me enough in GT5 prologue that the cars spin in such annoying ways you can't see them properly. Give me the old GT style of a spinning podium and I'll be happy.

I will have to agree with this. I liked it for a while until you try to see specific things on the vehicle. Me and a buddy where trying to see what wheels were on one of the tuned cars and everytime it would be coming around so you could see them it would change views. It made us angry.... or at least me. ;)
 
I will have to agree with this. I liked it for a while until you try to see specific things on the vehicle. Me and a buddy where trying to see what wheels were on one of the tuned cars and everytime it would be coming around so you could see them it would change views. It made us angry.... or at least me. ;)

Well, how about the ability to use a free floating camera to view a car? You could walk up to it, and then the camera would take over.

You could still walk around it, if you really wanted to.
 
I think I know where you're going with that. The salesman idea is too much but the whole concept is nice. In PGR2, there was something like that, you could walk around in a huge building separated into sections (Brands, Country of origin...). Then you could take a car for a test drive on a track, right beside the dealership. The cars were all seeable in the dealership and you could look at them from multiple angles. You could walk into your multiple garages too.
I'd like for sure to see this in GT5.
 
An open mind has to be kept for future games and racing sims, as previously they just couldn't fit all this stuff on the disc. Now there's a much greater capacity, a HD, and also ability to have content/updates downloaded to disk.
 
Test Drive Unlimited car dealerships is pretty nice, I'd be happy with that. It's both simple enough for those who doesn't want the flare but good enough for those that want eye candy.
 
Being able to view the car how i want (angle, zoom etc) would be enough for me.

Personally the relvolving setup really bugs me. For example i may want to see a particular colour at an angle i want and it can take forever.

Sorry but the idea of walking around a virtual dealership would get old very quickly IMO.
 
HN7
Test Drive Unlimited car dealerships is pretty nice, I'd be happy with that. It's both simple enough for those who doesn't want the flare but good enough for those that want eye candy.
Yes, the dealerships in TDU are excellent. 👍
 
There would be one more problem.

I don't know the dealerships in PGR, but the ones in TDU had about 5 cars per dealer in it.

Well, GT5's Nissan dealer would have about 50 or more new cars in it (If You seperate the rooms to used and new cars). I don't think, the PS3 can handle this with GT5's high polycount.

Besides, it would take ages to load the dealership with all the cars in it.
 
Last edited:
If you want to be solicited sub par vehicles there is plenty of dealers near you.

GT's CDs work more like a mail order catalog, lol.

Something i remember from the Motor City Online days is the ability to hold Auctions for one of a kind or rare cars or parts. Maybe buying a used or vintage\old car can be held something like that.
 
PGR2 had that except for a salesman. I think having a 3d salesman is a little over the top, but a background voice would be a nice touch if it told you trivia info about the car you selected as you freely walk through a display.
I always thought that was one of the neatest little features of PGR2, honestly. The test track just made it even more interesting. :)
 
-> Wouldn't mind regarding a salesperson at the dealership. Even if its in 2D-mode I'd be very happy. :scared:

500x_china.jpg


1221534-cp1_super.jpg


^ But, this is only a stupid bonus, I'm really not looking forward to it. :)
 
Last edited:
I think it would be really good if PD did something like that and actually take it one step further. I remember an old game I think it was called Supercars it was probably the first game I played where you could modify the cars but it also had a great feature which was when you went to buy a new car you would sit in front of a salesman and answer a series of questions to try and get a better deal. This would probably be a bit lame for GT but I thought it was a nice little feature.
 
You know, I'm making a mental note of all these effectively useless graphical things people want for any games I design/program in future. I still don't understand people's draw to them, I've never truly understood what is so great about Home.
I can see perhaps that it further enhances people's experience and fantasy...in other words helping the immersion. But I can't see the majority of players really appreciating it for more than a few seconds and then it just becomes a longer and less efficient version of a simple menu system.

I definitely do not look forward to this double-edged sword, some here are complaining its taking too long and criticise any features they see as a waste of time. Some are wishing for more features that would further increase development time!
Just goes to show perfection is impossible.

I'll definitely remember to throw in a few sections like this though :lol: as much as I don't understand why people want them, its clear there is a demand for it!
 
Yep, this kind of thing may well be seen in racing sims in the near future. It goes beyond just car-dealerships. You could do stuff around the pit garage for changing car setups, viewing telemetry etc. The problem is some people would want it, others would want the quick menu-way, so both would need to be catered for somehow.

I dont really care for the idea of walking around dealerships, but being able to walk around the pit would be kinda cool. It would add to the immersion that you are actually at a real track driving in a real race, opposed to some magical world where all the cars roll out of an imaginary garage in perfect condition.
 
1 thing that would be very cool if PD worked together with the manufacturers on these dealerships.
Like when you go into the showroom, you can actually choose real life options and stuff for the car, and have the option of contacting the nearest real dealership if you want buy/look at the car in real life.
Now that would be a cool feature, with the showrooms getting updated with current promotions and stuff.
 
You know, I'm making a mental note of all these effectively useless graphical things people want for any games I design/program in future. I still don't understand people's draw to them, I've never truly understood what is so great about Home.
I can see perhaps that it further enhances people's experience and fantasy...in other words helping the immersion. But I can't see the majority of players really appreciating it for more than a few seconds and then it just becomes a longer and less efficient version of a simple menu system.

I definitely do not look forward to this double-edged sword, some here are complaining its taking too long and criticise any features they see as a waste of time. Some are wishing for more features that would further increase development time!
Just goes to show perfection is impossible.

I'll definitely remember to throw in a few sections like this though :lol: as much as I don't understand why people want them, its clear there is a demand for it!

I agree as the simple and logical menus in GT as it is now make the most sense while navigating in what is a complex game.

1 thing that would be very cool if PD worked together with the manufacturers on these dealerships.
Like when you go into the showroom, you can actually choose real life options and stuff for the car, and have the option of contacting the nearest real dealership if you want buy/look at the car in real life.
Now that would be a cool feature, with the showrooms getting updated with current promotions and stuff.

Having said that, the option to interact with a real dealership via the game could be interesting, but perhaps mostly to those real life dealers.
Still it would probably make more sense to most GT-users than that data-logger device ( or whatever it is called ) for recreating real life laps on circuits into the game.
Maybe it would be interesting if the car companies interacted the other way round by offering deals to lure customers in-game:

"Buy the new Ford Focus for 10000 credits instead of 15000, further 5000 credit discount if you trade in your old Golf, Astra, Civic, etc." ;)
 
i would like to be able to buy extra cars from the ps store for instance a manufacturer in the game release a new car in the real world and at the same time it comes available to buy online ! also livery pack's would be good a bit like the race pack's in gt2 or 3 ( can't remember wich), also convertable cars should have an option of top down or top up
 
I think a 3d person, interacting, would be too much...

BUT, something like NFS Porsche Unleashed could be interesting: you can open the cars doors, hood and trunk (and roof top on convertible cars), and after open the doors, you can jump inside the car! As the car keeps rotating the interior rotates too.

If it works like this, would be nice to stop the rotation (I think in NFS Porsche was unstopable...)

But it is a nice idea (not stupid, as the thread name!). Maybe on a game with less cars, or if you didnt had to buy so many cars during the game, would be fantastic!
 
Okay so it's the cop and not the car dealer but you might still get this reference. And if you do then you're OLD!
supcar2b2_t.png
 
As a short-term gimmick, it would be nice to have. As a means to select the cars that you want to buy, based on PGR2, I'd rather they focused their efforts on elements of the game that matter, such as the driving physics and AI.
 
Okay so it's the cop and not the car dealer but you might still get this reference. And if you do then you're OLD!
supcar2b2_t.png

So you're an old git too!

What was it called? Think we had it on Amiga or Atari ST...happy days :)
 
Just let us spin the cars in the dealerships with L2 and R2.
I'd really like that.
 
I loved the dealerships on TDU too, opening the doors, inspecting the interior and every detail was awesome, I just want that with a camera that I can freely control.
 
Back