A tip for DS3 users, especially if you use the triggers for accel/brake

  • Thread starter Thread starter shbly12
  • 32 comments
  • 2,951 views
Messages
8
Israel
Nazareth
Messages
Luxeux
I have been using the triggers as the gas and brakes since GT5 because I found it more intuitive than pressing the buttons, plus making precise inputs on the gas, but it was only today that I found out a better way to do it (at least for me).
I found out today while trying the Nurb/24h seasonal event, that braking hard with my index finger while delicately and precisely managing my steering throughout a corner was very difficult task. this is mostly a problem when entering a corner, which is where you'll want to start steering while still pressing on the brakes and slowly releasing them.
So what I found myself doing is pressing hard on the left trigger and only begin to steer when I let go of it. because applying pressure with one finger and making delicate inputs with the other seemed difficult, and instead of focusing on the track I found myself focusing on my inputs on the controller.
So what I did was set the brakes to one of the buttons on the right side of the controller (I used square), it was a bit difficult to get used to at first, but when I did, I saw a noticeable improvement in my performance, and found myself getting much better times through the sectors of the track, but I'm still yet to manage a full lap with a good time. but I think this is just a matter of time now.
BTW I left the gas on the right trigger because having the ability to control how much I want is a must, plus it doesn't bother since I don't steer with the right stick.

This is kind of a revelation to me so I just wanted to share it with the community, and I hope some of you will try it and hopefully improve their racing with the DS3.
 
Since I'm not using ABS. No brake trigger - no good.
 
This is a very interesting suggestion, but the reason I avoid using the triggers for gas and brakes is that I drive with a manual 'box. As such I struggle to use my middle fingers to accelerate and brake so I can use my indexes to shift.

I imagine that people will suggest using triangle and circle for shifting or something, but it just doesn't work for me...
 
I use R2 and L2 for gas and brake, circle for e-brake, X for upshift, square for downshift.

Been using that setup for ages. Works very well for me. Check the link in my sig for time trial replays with stock cars using the DS3.

Edit: I have those cheap $5 plastic triggers for the L2 and R2 buttons. I'd say they are pretty much a requirement.
 
Last edited:
This is a very interesting suggestion, but the reason I avoid using the triggers for gas and brakes is that I drive with a manual 'box. As such I struggle to use my middle fingers to accelerate and brake so I can use my indexes to shift.

I imagine that people will suggest using triangle and circle for shifting or something, but it just doesn't work for me...

I use the triggers for gas/brake and up/down on the right stick for shifting. Works great.
 
I had spare money a couple of years ago, so I bought one of those:
hksps3controller.jpg


The only problems:
  • The left joystick locks up a bit after a lot of use, so it's better to not use the analog.
  • It is wired. But luckly, it has a very long cable.
  • The START and SELECT buttons get less sensitive with the time, you have to press the very hard.
  • Looks "toyish".
 
Last edited:
I'm also using the left stick for shifting, so I will keep the left trigger for brake. ;)
 
Wow, those button layouts sound so alien to me. I doubt that I could complete a single lap like that. I've always used the face buttons (X/square) for throttle/brakes and the shoulder buttons to shift gears.

@ItGivesYouWings: I had never seen that before. What is that on the left side?
 
Last edited:
@ItGivesYouWings: I had never seen that before. What is that on the left side?[/quote]

Its an analog-wheel or whatever its called. You move it like any analog stick.

collage_20140622145002955.jpg



And the pedals, they are very confy. You can acelerate/brake by just moving your thumb a bit.

collage_20140622144811113_20140622152049404.jpg
 
I turn the braking force down to 1, use L2/R2 for brake/accelerator.

A big improvement was to use the right stick for gear changes. Up for upshifts and down for downshifts, just like a sequential stick shift. It took very little time to get used to it.
 
Best tip for DS3 users... Stop using it ;)
Get a wheel, much better than using a game pad for a driving game.

btw when I did use a pad I used the triggers for brake and gas, sticks for steering and gears.
 
Best tip for DS3 users... Stop using it ;)
Get a wheel, much better than using a game pad for a driving game.

btw when I did use a pad I used the triggers for brake and gas, sticks for steering and gears.
Not everyone has the money or is willing to spend a lot of money for a steering wheel. There are some cheap steering wheels, but most of them aren't 900 degree angle wheels, and aren't as good in quality.
 
Not everyone has the money or is willing to spend a lot of money for a steering wheel. There are some cheap steering wheels, but most of them aren't 900 degree angle wheels, and aren't as good in quality.
I know, but a DFGT is only about $125 new and is well worth it if you like the play GT a lot.

I played all the way through GT4 with the pad, bought a DFGT for GT5P then moved to Fanatec just before GT5 was released so I could play both GT and Forza with the same wheel.
 
R2 - Accelerate
L2 - Brake

R1 - Up shift
L1 - Down shift


'Nuff Said...
 
One thing I found using a DS3: If you're not turning as hard as you can, you're not going fast enough.
 
One thing I found using a DS3: If you're not turning as hard as you can, you're not going fast enough.
Actually, the least amount of steering input possible will make you go faster. Think arc versus square.
 
Wow, those button layouts sound so alien to me. I doubt that I could complete a single lap like that. I've always used the face buttons (X/square) for throttle/brakes and the shoulder buttons to shift gears.
Good to see I'm not the only one who uses the face buttons for accel and brake, even if using the triggers is more accurate. It's really annoying when certain games force you to use the triggers and not have an option to change them. *coughnfsrivalsps4cough*

Hope Driveclub lets you use the face buttons as an option. GT7, I'm not worried about, as its always been defaulted to the face buttons.
 
Hope Driveclub lets you use the face buttons as an option. GT7, I'm not worried about, as its always been defaulted to the face buttons.
Don't forget one thing, unlike the DS2 or DS3, the DS4 doesn't have analog face buttons. The are digital on/off "switches" so I imagine that GT7 would be quite the challenge with no way to ease on the throttle.

Its an analog-wheel or whatever its called. You move it like any analog stick.
Interesting design. Thanks for posting those pics. 👍
 
Last edited:
Actually, the least amount of steering input possible will make you go faster. Think arc versus square.
But with the DS3 the most amount of input it decides to give you is not always the most you can steer. It is always at the limit of the arc.
 
From what I can tell, the main reason wheel users can go faster is that they can use a wider steering angle, which is why they leave me behind in 4WDs. That it's easier to make precise steering adjustments is why the leave me behind in MRs xD

I use the right analogue for accel/braking and the left stick for steering, with triggers for shifting.
 
From what I can tell, the main reason wheel users can go faster is that they can use a wider steering angle, which is why they leave me behind in 4WDs. That it's easier to make precise steering adjustments is why the leave me behind in MRs xD

And the wheel makes FF go easier on the corners by extreme steering...

... Hooray.
 
I remember back on GT5 I was following a wheel user driving an R35 TC. He'd set it up rather well, because he was pulling such high G's in the corners that the front tyres were billowing smoke.
 
Right stick up - Accelerate
L2 - Brake
R1 - Shift up
R2 - Shift down
L1 - Look behind
Square/down - Turbo
Circle - Handbrake

I only use this because my main controller has no spring in R2 and I often can't squeeze the trigger enough for GT6 to register full throttle (works for practically all other games though), hence why I've been using my old Tourist Trophy layout, slightly tweaked.
 
I had spare money a couple of years ago, so I bought one of those:
View attachment 174827

The only problems:
  • The left joystick locks up a bit after a lot of use, so it's better to not use the analog.
  • It is wired. But luckly, it has a very long cable.
  • The START and SELECT buttons get less sensitive with the time, you have to press the very hard.
  • Looks "toyish".

That's an interesting controller. I had a NeGcon for the PS1 which also worked on PS2 but haven't managed to get it working on a PS3 (I know there is a way by 'converting it to an Xbox controller and then back to a USB controller).

Does the HKS thing have force feedback?
 
But with the DS3 the most amount of input it decides to give you is not always the most you can steer. It is always at the limit of the arc.


It's more a limit of the tire grip. And if you hear squealing from the tires, you're turning harder than the tires grip allows thus taking a wider ark as compensation.
 
I know, but a DFGT is only about $125 new and is well worth it if you like the play GT a lot.

I played all the way through GT4 with the pad, bought a DFGT for GT5P then moved to Fanatec just before GT5 was released so I could play both GT and Forza with the same wheel.

'Only' $125 :lol:
 
Does the HKS thing have force feedback?

No, unfortunately. One thing that I forgot to add, the controller has a LED indicator for the pressure of the "pedals". In the pictures the controller was unplugged, that is why the LED display is off.
 
I had one of those HKS controllers but I can't find it anymore. I didn't like it much but I'd try it again if I were to find it. I really wish I could get a wheel because GT just isn't much fun anymore, and racing with the controller is one of the key issues. Unfortunately, I don't have the money and even if I did they're too noisy to be in my house without annoying everyone.
 
I use X for gas and square for braking, since GT1. No problems at all, I do well.
 
I got this time at Suzuka with a DS3. Stock Shelby GT500. Can a wheel do much better? I challenge anyone to get 2:15


 
Back