A Trend?

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxi25
  • 35 comments
  • 3,191 views
Messages
643
United States
USA
Messages
Carfreak44
So I like many others I am somewhat dissappointed with GT5 and feel that it's a bit of a step backwards from GT4. It lacks the tracks,events, and, at first, some key features like gear tuning and weight distribution. But as I think about it more it I realize that GT5 may just be a stepping stone for GT6 as the "odd" number GT series seem to be inferior to the "even" number GT series. Let me explain: when the original Gran Turismo came out it had limited cars and tracks. GT2 comes out after and had more cars, tracks, and features. GT3 improved on the graphics and physics but lacked the cars and certain aspects from GT2. When GT4 debuted it had more cars, tracks, and plenty of new events as well as photomode. GT5 has better graphics and physics but lacked what drew us to GT4. They are slowly improving it but it still doesn't have the "charisma" that GT4 had. So if PD continues this trend then there may be the possibility that GT6 will be the GT game to have. What are your opinions about this? Do you think this trend will continue? Or am I just thinking too hard?
 
I don't know. I felt that GT3 didn't disappoint. Sure it had less cars than GT2, but the overall game was amazing. I played it for years. GT5 is a different story. I feel as though that they were trying too hard to get everything together, only to end up in a mess.
 
Where does prologue fit into your theory?
and why bring out a sub par game every other one.

Oh btw. It been mentioned before. Most games I think actually improve each time. Unless they just plateau and not innovate anymore.
 
I don't know. I felt that GT3 didn't disappoint. Sure it had less cars than GT2, but the overall game was amazing. I played it for years. GT5 is a different story. I feel as though that they were trying too hard to get everything together, only to end up in a mess.

Purely on the basis of how long the game retained my attention, for me it went GT4 > GT2 > GT3 > GT1 > GT5, so on that basis, maybe you're on to something *shrug*.

N.B. GT5 is at the bottom because it hasnt been out as long, I can see myself ending up playing it for longer than I played 1 or 3.
 
Where does prologue fit into your theory?
and why bring out a sub par game every other one.

Oh btw. It been mentioned before. Most games I think actually improve each time. Unless they just plateau and not innovate anymore.



I don't really consider prologue because it's not the complete game. I'm just pointing out how the "odd" number GTs seem to be a step backwards from the "even" number GTs.
 
Honestly, the game was rebuilt from scratch (aside from the imported UCD), and PD acknowledges that it wasn't really complete (and may never be "complete" in the sense that there's more content that they want to add than can conceivably be added). They'll most likely be adding updates and additional content for a long time, and it'll all serve as the basis for GT6 (presumably on the PS4). Enjoy the game, enjoy the seasonal events, anticipate the DLC, and don't try and compare it to every GT before it.

I think you're thinking too hard about it.
 
I still have my PS2 and have held onto my copies of GT1, 2, 3 and 4. I got GT5 in December, but before that went back and played each of the older titles, just to remember them.

Go back and replay those then come back in here and tell us how much better those titles were. I really like GT5, but I wouldn't say that I am in love with it yet.

Really like about GT5:
Stayed true to the series.
Best graphics of any racing game anywhere.
Better community and online involvement than back in the GT4 days.
Some nice touches like weather change and time change.
Love the seasonal events.
Best driving/car handling experience and an improvement over GT4. By far, the way the cars react and the fun it is to drive is the number 1 of why I realy like GT5. There are other minor things, but these are the biggies.

Not so excited about in GT5:
- I miss being able to pit during long races and let my B-spec driver take over. He also ran the endurance races that I didn't want to. In GT5, I don't plan to ever race the endurance races.
- I miss winning prize cars over and over to sell them and earn money. GT4 was still a grind, but you could earn money quicker. The additional seasonal events help and I hope they keep coming at the big payouts.
- Wish there were more races. I liked the manufacturer races as it forced me to buy cars that I never would have considered. A bit of a grind, but fun.

Kaz did post that GT5 is more of a marathon for him than a sprint. That indicates that content will keep coming all year. I am optimistic that I may fall in love with GT5 afterall.
 
Kaz did post that GT5 is more of a marathon for him than a sprint. That indicates that content will keep coming all year. I am optimistic that I may fall in love with GT5 afterall.

This. A million times this. I think people forget that PD is owned by Sony, and their development schedule and launch schedule were not necessarily dictated by their own internal management. I know they got sidetracked doing 3D implementation for Sony for the Bravia line and considering the last minute announcement of the GT5 launch prior to the holidays last year, I suspect Sony also pushed them to get the game out in time for the holiday shopping rush.

I know there's much more work they're doing and I've got faith that they'll continue improving the product. That said, I'm still looking forward to going home and playing tonight. The open-ended development just gives me something to continue looking forward to (hopefully).
 
I think the models they did for the premium cars & tracks exceeds the hardware capabilities of the PS3 for rendering, and PD had to dumb-down some of the graphics to get the game to run on the PS3.

Unless they have gone a deleted all the backups of the modeling work they did, I would think that they have a pretty good jump start for content when it is time to start working on GT6 (which will come out on the PS4 platform).

I think the trend will continue...
 
Wish there were more races. I liked the manufacturer races as it forced me to buy cars that I never would have considered. A bit of a grind, but fun.

Never understood why they were omitted. You are 100% right.
 
I think you´re somewhat right, OP.

But I disagree on saying that GT3 was not as good as GT2. GT2 was probably the best GT´s ever, but I remember enjoying GT3 like no other Gran Turismos before. Maybe it was short on content, but the graphics, and specially the phisics were outstanding. It also had that replay value even if it was missing a few things. And you can ask anyone, and they´ll agree.

GT1 can´t be judged simply because it was the first one, and there was nothing like it at that time.

GT4 was the lead to follow by PD, because of its career mode that was by far the best one in any GT, plus the prize system, plus the whole content. Yes, maybe the phisics were not the best, but once you got it, you got it. After six years, and even though I have GT5, I´m still playing GT4, and having a blast with it.

The problem was that PD made a mistake thinking they needed to fix something that was not broken. Its great they focused on fixing the phisics, and adding some stuff, but the rest needed to stay like GT4. About the whole premium-standard stuff, yes, it sucks and it was the worst fail on a game that I´ve seen, but I´m used to it by now. I love driving some of the old cars since at least they share the same phisics and sounds than the premiums. I´m sure that in GT6 PD won´t fall for the same mistake, and even if there are less than 600 premiums with cockpit view, with a little bit less details than the premiums from GT5, and no standards at all, I´ll be happy.
 
yeah i had noticed something similar, the even numbered GT games are better than the odd numbered; though 1 & 3 are still not as much of a let down as 5. I assumed it was because it's the second game for that console they have "perfected" making a game for that console. GT2 on the PS1 and GT4 on the PS2. If my trend is right and GT5 is the only game for the PS3 then GT6 on the PS4 should be a let down as it will be the first GT game for the PS4. But that release is a dozen years away. by then i might (but most likely not) have children and actual responsibilities and wont be sim-racing as much.

BTW i somewhat consider the seasonal events now kinda like manufacturer races of old; they make me buy a car i would have bought, just for the sake of reaching 1000cars without having to buy 750 PD-karts, and never driven. now i drive them. i drove the cappucino and LOVED IT!!! TO MY SUPRISE! now i have two, one is RM'd the other i tuned out but isnt RM'd, and enjoy both!
 
Last edited:
yeah i had noticed something similar, the even numbered GT games are better than the odd numbered; though 1 & 3 are still not as much of a let down as 5. I assumed it was because it's the second game for that console they have "perfected" making a game for that console. GT2 on the PS1 and GT4 on the PS2. If my trend is right and GT5 is the only game for the PS3 then GT6 on the PS4 should be a let down as it will be the first GT game for the PS4. But that release is a dozen years away. by then i might (but most likely not) have children and actual responsibilities and wont be playing video games as much.

If we don´t count GT5P, GT5 is the first PS3 GT. Even if we count Prologue, I´m dead sure we´ll be getting GT6 for the PS3. You´ll see, my hopes are high. Think of it, they have so much potential for this generation of consoles, and due to all the criticism following GT5, I think it would be a bad move by PD to try and design a whole new game for a new console starting from scratch, when having a good base wich is GT5. Its not impossible, but it would be time consuming and a huge investment.
 
I always thought it was well known that the first editions of GT on a new console are always inferior (in content) to the second one?
 
If we don´t count GT5P, GT5 is the first PS3 GT. Even if we count Prologue, I´m dead sure we´ll be getting GT6 for the PS3. You´ll see, my hopes are high. Think of it, they have so much potential for this generation of consoles, and due to all the criticism following GT5, I think it would be a bad move by PD to try and design a whole new game for a new console starting from scratch, when having a good base wich is GT5. Its not impossible, but it would be time consuming and a huge investment.

well THAT^^ would be the logical thing to do. PD's move, let's see what they come up with....
 
If we don´t count GT5P, GT5 is the first PS3 GT. Even if we count Prologue, I´m dead sure we´ll be getting GT6 for the PS3. You´ll see, my hopes are high. Think of it, they have so much potential for this generation of consoles, and due to all the criticism following GT5, I think it would be a bad move by PD to try and design a whole new game for a new console starting from scratch, when having a good base wich is GT5. Its not impossible, but it would be time consuming and a huge investment.

(I think Gran Turismo HD was the first PS3 GT title ;)). I definitely think, regardless of console, that they won't be starting from scratch. If GT6 is still on the PS3, I suspect it'll be like GT5 combined with GT4 (more races, events, cars etc) but still with some of the graphic limitations (jumpy realtime shadows, blocky alpha blending, etc). I'd definitely be okay with this though 👍
 
So I like many others I am somewhat dissappointed with GT5 and feel that it's a bit of a step backwards from GT4. It lacks the tracks,events, and, at first, some key features like gear tuning and weight distribution. But as I think about it more it I realize that GT5 may just be a stepping stone for GT6 as the "odd" number GT series seem to be inferior to the "even" number GT series. Let me explain: when the original Gran Turismo came out it had limited cars and tracks. GT2 comes out after and had more cars, tracks, and features. GT3 improved on the graphics and physics but lacked the cars and certain aspects from GT2. When GT4 debuted it had more cars, tracks, and plenty of new events as well as photomode. GT5 has better graphics and physics but lacked what drew us to GT4. They are slowly improving it but it still doesn't have the "charisma" that GT4 had. So if PD continues this trend then there may be the possibility that GT6 will be the GT game to have. What are your opinions about this? Do you think this trend will continue? Or am I just thinking too hard?

Yes, but's a huge difference between GT3 and GT5.

GT3 took 1.5 years to make so I understand why all content from GT2 couldn't make it to GT3.

If GT5 was released at the same time as PS3, then I would have understood if all content from GT4 wasn't in. When we later got GT5P which had like 60 premium cars and 5 tracks I thought the waiting should be worth it.

But when GT5 finally arrived and it "only" included 200 premium cars, fewer events than before and only 25? tracks, then I think it's time to hire more people:)
 
Same **** different day around here huh?
 
I agree with the theory,
Kaz have staded that GT6 will not take soooo long to develop cause GT5 moved the series to a new level.(Dont say "new level my @ss" cause technically it is).
and another example is the karts.
Karts wasnt supposed to be in GT5, But cause was leaked out they were forced to add them.
But i highly doubt that we see another GT for PS3.
 
AlexGTV
No, it's GT4. What does 2 have over 4?

GT was a Mark for including the ring and sarthe, and the LMP and C cars. But usually, the second itineration of a GT game in a console feels more complete.

I miss pikes peak...
 
The odd numbered games are the first GTs on new hardware while the even numbered games are the next/last GTs on that same hardware. The development learning curve will naturally create the "trend" you're seeing. Although, with digital distribution available to prolong the life of GT5, GT6 may or may not be a PS4 title and break this trend.
 
Yes, but's a huge difference between GT3 and GT5.

GT3 took 1.5 years to make so I understand why all content from GT2 couldn't make it to GT3.

If GT5 was released at the same time as PS3, then I would have understood if all content from GT4 wasn't in. When we later got GT5P which had like 60 premium cars and 5 tracks I thought the waiting should be worth it.

But when GT5 finally arrived and it "only" included 200 premium cars, fewer events than before and only 25? tracks, then I think it's time to hire more people:)


This this this this this !
 
Go back and play any of the older versions. I was really surprised at how bad 1, 2 an 3 are compared to what we have today. The driving physics and the graphics are nowhere near 4, prologe or 5. I think all of this 1, 2 or 3 were the best are just fleeting memories of the good times. Kind of like thinking back about your high school sweethart and not being able to remember any of the bad stuff. Your memory of her today is of how hot she was, the good times you had and how you never fought. In reality, her bra was really two sizes smaller, her butt two sizes bigger and she bitched at you weekly.
 
Don't know about you lot but if there is a GT6 i wont be buying it and none of my friends will be buying it because this has been a massive let down and far too much of a grind.
 
My theory was that PD was on track to have all premium cars and the game running in 720p but sony decided midway through development to make it 3d and 1080p with headtracking just for the wizbang factor and the game required almost a total rebuild to acheive this hence the lack of events tracks and premium cars. Just my theory.
 
Don't know if it is fair to say it is a trend, at least not statistically. You are comparing a sample size of 5. That is like saying "In this room there are two people, a perfectly healthy person and a person with AIDS" and concluding 50% of the population has AIDS. Clearly, it makes no sense.

As far as it happening like you have noticed, there are probably more reasonable explanations like someone said before, the odd GT's in the series were on a new generation of consoles. Or it may just be coincidence. It isn't something that can accurately be speculated upon.

And for the guy who said they won't buy GT6 because GT5 was a "let down" or whatever. Fine, no body will miss you. But it doesn't make sense to not buy something because 1 out of 5 were not up to your expectations. I would respect your decision if you were to say something like "I won't buy GT6 because I have more fun playing XXXX game."
 
Back