A year on from release, what's really changed for the better?

A Dead Wake

(Banned)
Canada
The Endless Abyss
- Steady trickle of new events that ultimately don't devolve from the mold that is chasing the leader, and although leverage longer races and changing weather conditions, still feels like the same old slog through AI that has not been changed since GT5

- Economy is still very much a frustrating grind, and that nothing has really been changed in the time since the game released to address it in any specific way to make the game more worthwhile in getting credits. That the microtransactions are still omnipresent in the game doesn't at all help the feeling that this is how Polyphony wants it, and even a firestorm of criticism can get it through to them that this isn't the way to retain long term player base

- Sport Mode is still seemingly riddled with problems, and lobbies are kneecapped by the restrictions on grid size and no cross platform play

- New cars is really just majority nostalgia pops and cars that have already been well represented in other games for (in some cases) a decade plus that PD are only getting to now, and the same goes for the few tracks added. Very little new cars that truly feel like needle movers have been added aside from the Merak

Like, coming back to see what has changed after months of not caring shows to me that it's really the same situation as launch, except now the sheen has come off the rose and significantly less people have stuck around to see what has changed. We're getting close to the one year anniversary, and it truly feels like Polyphony has no real desire to change things within the game to make it better from the state it's in. They just believe in staying the course, thinking things can be salved over with drip fed content every two months.

There was huge hype for this game. PS5 exclusive, dynamic weather and time, new cars, a return to traditional GT, better physics and tyre model... List goes on.

What I take away from the GT7 experience, even though my channel is based upon it and it helped me grow alot, is that you never believe the hype for any new games before you see them.

Will I preorder the next GT, as I have been here since the beginning?

Nope. I will wait until after launch. This game should be the best GT ever made. Instead all versions are watered down and buggy due to Sonys decision to port it onto a 10 year old console and dilute the experience for us all.

My GT7 rating at current day - 2/10. Bland, boring, buggy and under delivered.

There was huge hype for this game. PS5 exclusive, dynamic weather and time, new cars, a return to traditional GT, better physics and tyre model... List goes on.

What I take away from the GT7 experience, even though my channel is based upon it and it helped me grow alot, is that you never believe the hype for any new games before you see them.

Will I preorder the next GT, as I have been here since the beginning?

Nope. I will wait until after launch. This game should be the best GT ever made. Instead all versions are watered down and buggy due to Sonys decision to port it onto a 10 year old console and dilute the experience for us all.

My GT7 rating at current day - 2/10. Bland, boring, buggy and under delivered.
Ah yes the "Sony did this" argument. As if PD and Kaz aren't at fault at all and are incapable of making such a decision. Just like it's all Sony's fault for the game having MTX, right?

I'd also like to point out that the hardware isn't to blame for the game's shortcomings. Making it a PS5 exclusive wouldn't have magically fixed all the illogical design decisions. It wouldn't have made the UI less clunky to navigate, or the economy less of a grind. It wouldn't have removed the over-priced hagerty legend car concept. But of course blame the PS4 because you're dissatisfied with the game. Sure. Yeah. That makes sense.

Last edited:
I find the updates less than expected. This expectation was based on GTS, where a decent career mode was added after launch and many more cars were added in updates. Also, I thought the poor economy would be an easy fix and would be mended after the big four grind events were added.
So my rating for GT7 has dropped from 8/10 to 7/10. It still is a game I enjoy, but it could have been made better without an undue effort.

Last edited:
Many people seem to complain and whine about grinding for credits. Having completed the game 100% I did not have to grind once. I got all the cars I want / need for completion and trophys. Grinding is a choice, not a requirement. I enjoyed the single player mode very much. It's not perfect but still one of the best games I ever played. Surely the best GT ever. Golding every event, mission, license and CE on hard was a great challenge and took me 9 months. Now playing Sport mode online and still not bored. 9/10.

My GT7 rating at current day - 2/10.
Lol. I'm not Gran Turismo 7's biggest fan, but if that's your rating scale then that's a lot of games to pack into 0 and 1 out of 10s.

A 0 out of 10 bricks your console. A 1 out of 10 is functionally unplayable. A 2 out of 10 is... boring? Kay.
Many people seem to complain and whine about grinding for credits. Having completed the game 100% I did not have to grind once. I got all the cars I want / need for completion and trophys. Grinding is a choice, not a requirement.
It's also a choice what you consider to be completing the game 100%, apparently. Technically, you could consider it to be when credits roll which, yeah, you can do without grinding and remarkably quickly.

To be entirely fair, a few things have gotten substantially better since launch, the RWD physics being the prime example. Other things, like having a "Race Shop" in the race menu, rebalancing ticket odds such that you'll never receive 1 or 2 star tickets at Level 50 from Daily Workout, or even just save corruption glitches, just to name a few off the top of my head of the things that have been fixed.

At this point though, it's only reasonable to assume that, whatever gripes we as a community have at large with the game, such as the overpriced cars, terrible economy, pitiful number of events, and spiteful ticket systems, are by design and will never be fixed.

It's also a choice what you consider to be completing the game 100%, apparently. Technically, you could consider it to be when credits roll which, yeah, you can do without grinding and remarkably quickly.
It's not just my choice. It is literally not a requirement for completion to acquire every single car. There is no trophy for that. Hence, it's stupid to whine about grinding because there is no need to do that. I think the payouts are just fine and you need to think twice what you'll put your credits into. That's what ultimately makes it a game.

Last edited:
- Steady trickle of new events that ultimately don't devolve from the mold that is chasing the leader, and although leverage longer races and changing weather conditions, still feels like the same old slog through AI that has not been changed since GT5
I definitely would not say we have had a steady steam of new events. Yes we have had a few races attached to the new circuits as they came but to put it in perspective, since June last year we have only had 4 new cafe menus but 15 extra menus! 45 minutes of content every month is by no means enough to be engaging. Where are the new missions, the endurance races or some more championships? It appears that they seem to have been forgotten about...

It's not just my choice. It is literally not a requirement for completion to acquire every single car. There is no trophy for that. Hence, it's stupid to whine about grinding because there is no need to do that. I think the payouts are just fine and you need to think twice what you'll put your credits into. That's what ultimately makes it a game.
You've completley missed the point, it depends on what you, as an individual, determine completing the game to be. Sure, you can reach the point where the credits roll, but you might still have most of the licenses and missions to do, several races to do and only have 30% of the cars in the game.

Some people might reach that point, put their feet up and think, yeah I've completed that game now. But then you have other people who don't feel it's completed until they've reached more personal goals.

It's the same with games like Cyberpunk 2077, there's a definite end to the story, but theres a new game + mode for after you've reached that point. Some people like to go back and clear up all the missions and side quests that they didn't do in the first play through and don't feel that the game is completed until they've done that. In fact the word "complete" in the context of completing a game suggests you have done everything.

The argument against grinding is quite thoroughly discussed and there are plenty of threads with pretty detailed figures showing why the grind is worse in GT7 that in previous titles, even ones where people complained about the grind, so I won't repeat that in here other than to say you are wrong to call complaining about grinding stupid. It's not a problem to some people, others are indifferent to it and there are others who dislike it. None of them are stupid for having a preference.

Last edited:
You've completley missed the point, it depends on what you, as an individual, determine completing the game to be. Sure, you can reach the point where the credits roll, but you might still have most of the licenses and missions to do, several races to do and only have 30% of the cars in the game.

Some people might reach that point, put their feet up and think, yeah I've completed that game now. But then you have other people who don't feel it's completed until they've reached more personal goals.

It's the same with games like Cyberpunk 2077, there's a definite end to the story, but theres a new game + mode for after you've reached that point. Some people like to go back and clear up all the missions and side quests that they didn't do in the first play through and don't feel that the game is completed until they've done that. In fact the word "complete" in the context of completing a game suggests you have done everything.

The argument against grinding is quite thoroughly discussed and there are plenty of threads with pretty detailed figures showing why the grind is worse in GT7 that in previous titles, even ones where people complained about the grind, so I won't repeat that in here other than to say you are wrong to call complaining about grinding stupid. It's not a problem to some people, others are indifferent to it and there aer others who dislike it. None of them are stupid for having a preference.
Ok, fair enough. Maybe I'm old fashioned when I consider a game completed when I've completed every event, the end credits roll and I have obtained every trophy. Still, I think grinding is just a choice for people who absolutely want to acquire every single car because the game does not require that in any way. I'm not saying they're stupid for doing so. I just don't understand the whine and I see that a lot. Of course there could always be more events with big payouts but I feel there's already enough for a game to be completed and considered excellent. But again, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Last edited:
Still, I think grinding is just a choice for people who absolutely want to acquire every single car because the game does not require that in any way. I'm not saying they're stupid for doing so.
Just that they're stupid for having an opinion about it that differs to yours?
Hence, it's stupid to whine about grinding because there is no need to do that. I think the payouts are just fine and you need to think twice what you'll put your credits into. That's what ultimately makes it a game.
I mean, sure, I guess. Who cares what those dumb-dumbs think about the game? Any moron who would want to play with all the cars in their racing game clearly doesn't have enough brain cells to rub together, let alone form a coherent opinion.

Thank God we have you here to tell us what's what. Can you straighten out the microtransactions thing too, please? How should we feel about that?

This is my kind of forum.......the OP gets banned? Ha!

Anyway, I play the game a lot yet I cannot get over being told it was going back to an original type, or feel or style or whatever word your guy's boy used. Regardless, the game WAS TEASED as a return to the older games. Maybe this is entirely my fault but that led me to expect a deep single user experience with multiple championships and races. Basically, my mind went right to GT4 and how that was set up. So to say the Menu Books were a shock would be an understatement. And since day one of owning this game, those stupid menu books have come across as just that........stupid! The old style games were built around cars and racing, NOT coffee houses, napkins, menus and dorks explaining all types of minutia. The entire menu thing is pointless, feels like a complete waste of development time and is the furthest thing from racing! Also, not far behind the menu book absurdity is that Hagerty nonsense with real-world car prices. I play video games to temporarily escape from reality. I shouldn't be reminded that the common man will never be able to afford dream cars again.

I guess being a 25yr anniversary release and marketing it as a return to the past, it would have made more sense to have a ton of older content refreshed with new graphics and that sort of thing. Throw in ALL the past cars. Throw in ALL the past tracks. And then you can drip feed all the new stuff you want. Seems to easy.

Last edited:
To answer the question of the OP in short way:

Besides the too low pay-outs(especially when it comes to custom races, but also for sport races and the longer races in the original game) and not enough events with high pay outs(why still no 30min-high pay out race with PP700 or PP800 for every track???), pretty much everything in the game changed for better since the release...

Most parts of the game changed to the better. The physics changed RWD cars from nearly undriveable to pretty realistic and fun.
Cars can be sold now. We got a couple extra tracks and cars. We got more races to earn money - we don't have to grind Fisherman's Ranch anymore.

There is still room for lots of improvement, we desperately need more races with big payouts. Grinding Spa 1 hour and 30min LeMans gets boring very quickly and there needs to be a better system for acquiring invitations and engines for swaps.

I saw what the game was at launch and waited for a sale. I'm happy with what I got, and bought it during a credits bonanza (World Tour finals, 25th anniversary credit boost etc) and within a month had 1/4 of the cars without grinding or even doing an excessive amount of racing. It's slowed down now but I have enough to drive and more things to unlock and complete plus adjusting to the handling model which is, I reckon, better than GTS. The feedback is much improved.

I can see why people were disappointed, and I wish more credits were given for online racing, the penalty system could always be better and of course I would like more cars but...the game is good.

The old style games were built around cars and racing, NOT coffee houses, napkins, menus and dorks explaining all types of minutia. The entire menu thing is pointless, feels like a complete waste of development time and is the furthest thing from racing!
The problem with it is that this is not a racing game but a collecting game. My feelings around the menu book style SP are that they definitely lean heavily on the 'collect them all' mentality rather than the older style games where you were working your way through a racing career, starting with the slowest cars and slowly progressing through to quicker race cars.
I guess their thoughts are that there is more of a chance of people using micro transactions if they are drawn into a collection gameplay loop.

Many people seem to complain and whine about grinding for credits. Having completed the game 100% I did not have to grind once. I got all the cars I want / need for completion and trophys. Grinding is a choice, not a requirement. I enjoyed the single player mode very much. It's not perfect but still one of the best games I ever played. Surely the best GT ever. Golding every event, mission, license and CE on hard was a great challenge and took me 9 months. Now playing Sport mode online and still not bored. 9/10.
Trying to understand your post?

So I wanna buy that 20M credit car but I already completed all the single payout events likes Missions, CE, and so on and I have 500k credits don't wanna sell any of my cars cause I like them and I worked hard in getting them. HOW do I get that 20M credit car?

Trying to understand your post?

So I wanna buy that 20M credit car but I already completed all the single payout events likes Missions, CE, and so on and I have 500k credits don't wanna sell any of my cars cause I like them and I worked hard in getting them. HOW do I get that 20M credit car?
I am in this exact position. I have an invitation that is time limited and I have roughly that many credits. I'm looking at how long it would take me to grind that and I immediately just give up mentally.

GT7 is a LONG WAY from being where it should be. However, they've added some time trial and other races with decent sized payouts. Around $2M I think. They've made serious effort to get the game in the state it should have been in at launch.

If the FFB was better, I'd actually be bummed that I can't afford the $20M cars lol. Since there's very little noticeable variance in the tactile feeling of cars, curbs, etc, I'm not really inclined to experience them.

Last edited:
I stopped playing last fall as I got bored and The FFB on my DD GT Pro nerfed.
Came back yesterday as I'm excited for VR. But VR seems to be the only real major change and the selling of cars now but I don't really consider that something to be excited about almost a year later.

Just that they're stupid for having an opinion about it that differs to yours?

I mean, sure, I guess. Who cares what those dumb-dumbs think about the game? Any moron who would want to play with all the cars in their racing game clearly doesn't have enough brain cells to rub together, let alone form a coherent opinion.

Thank God we have you here to tell us what's what. Can you straighten out the microtransactions thing too, please? How should we feel about that?
I don't think you got my point. Again, I just stated that I think it is pointless to whine about game being too focused on grinding because grinding is not needed to finish the game (100% trophies and end credits). Everything in the game is doable and gold on hardest difficulty without having to grind. (Except buying every single car, which is only a personal goal = no trophy for doing so). I have nothing but respect towards people who can do that. But extra goals require extra effort.

What about micro transactions? I never used them and never will. In fact, I never saw any in-game ads which is good.

Last edited:
Back