Abandoned cars and barn finds picture thread!!!!!

• Thread starter Cano
  • 2,165 comments
Found on a facebook group that works the same as DYSAGT. Guy wouldn't tell his exact location, except for that its near LA. If its the same one as the link, it's been restored, just a while ago. Still sitting as that pic is only a couple days old.

After reading a bit on them, I think it is indeed the same truck that's in the link you provided. Basically all of the existing 9 are accounted for and well know, it would be amazing for another one to show up, and it deffinitely would not be in such a good condition, specially since, according to what I read, they rusted if you as much as looked at them. And well, there is no other painted as such.

I wouldn't call that thing abandoned, though. Just think, what do you do with something like that? Surely it must sit for long periods of time, but that doesn't mean the owner doesn't care for it or misstreats it.

Still, what an absolutely amazing sight....

You think they would've put a decent cover on it at least. Or kept it inside.

Yeah, in that I absolutely agree with you. In the site I linked there are several pics of the restoration of some of them, and it's just mind-boggling. You don't want to re-restore one of th¿ose.

You think they would've put a decent cover on it at least. Or kept it inside.

Something as rare and iconic as a Futureliner would retain its value no matter what the condition. They'll always be plenty of deep-pocketed folk lining up around the block to carry out a full restoration on it. Tarps that big don't come cheap, or indeed, grow on trees either :)

Free-Gullwing-630x481.jpg

http://barnfinds.com/has-to-be-fake-mercedes-gullwing-find/

Abandoned Dodge Aries K Wagon in front of an old schoolhouse in Canada. View attachment 417756
This thread would get extremely boring very quickly, if we started to post pics of any 4-wheel vehicles that have been left to rotten, something which is probably the second or third best thing you could do with an Aries after making it blow up while filming it and then posting it to YouTube, and taking it to a scrap yard for some money.

This thread would get extremely boring very quickly, if we started to post pics of any 4-wheel vehicles that have been left to rotten, something which is probably the second or third best thing you could do with an Aries after making it blow up while filming it and then posting it to YouTube, and taking it to a scrap yard for some money.

The title of the thread says abandoned cars. That Dodge is a car. And every model in the world has its fans.

Justified post.

Lawn ornament.

11831675_1923471757876960_674585311648421004_n.jpg
I would bet that the sign on in the window says "Not for sell". I had to hide my 68 Camaro that's in close condition in my basement to keep people from knocking on my door trying to buy it, and my car couldn't be seen from the street. It's not been road ready since 1979 (only parts I don't have that came with it are carb and starter) 327 auto on column bucket seats with 69 door panels.
IMG_0004.jpg

1968 Jaguar E Type, the desirable one. Been left rotting outside in a field in Pennsylvania for decades. Just sold on eBay for £10,000. It's going to need work like you wouldn't believe and will probably cost a fortune to restore. Such a shame it was left outside.

View attachment 443653

You can buy every body and monocoque panel or even full chassis as new, a restoration for one of these is probably easier than any other classic.

You can buy every body and monocoque panel or even full chassis as new, a restoration for one of these is probably easier than any other classic.

Yeah but then you might as well go the whole hog and buy a replica. From the pictures it looks like hardly anything is salvageable so it's going to be 90% new and not considered an original.

Yeah but then you might as well go the whole hog and buy a replica. From the pictures it looks like hardly anything is salvageable so it's going to be 90% new and not considered an original.

That happens all the time with restorations. Plenty of the exterior panels look restorable. The drivetrain too.

That E-Type will receive an all new chassis with all new sheet metal and then the old numbers are stamped into the new metal. Happens so often these days.

That E-Type will receive an all new chassis with all new sheet metal and then the old numbers are stamped into the new metal. Happens so often these days.

I'm going to buy a 250 GTO replica, go and nick someones VIN plate, stick it on and sell it at auction for a zillion pounds :dopey:

I'm going to buy a 250 GTO replica, go and nick someones VIN plate, stick it on and sell it at auction for a zillion pounds :dopey:

Rare Ferraris are a bit harder to do, because most of them have a well known history.

E-Types don't because they aren't rare at all.

Personally, If I found a classic in that bad of shape, I would restomod it. Stiffen the chassis, put a modern 3.0 BMW I6 or even a 2JZ into it and turn it into a homebuilt eagle speedster. That is a much more exiting proposition to me, classic looks with modern technology and handling. I don't know why more people don't do this, if you loved classic cars like I do, you would want to be able to drive it as often as possible or even every day, which when done well, many restomods are capable of.

Personally, If I found a classic in that bad of shape, I would restomod it. Stiffen the chassis, put a modern 3.0 BMW I6 or even a 2JZ into it and turn it into a homebuilt eagle speedster. That is a much more exiting proposition to me, classic looks with modern technology and handling. I don't know why more people don't do this, if you loved classic cars like I do, you would want to be able to drive it as often as possible or even every day, which when done well, many restomods are capable of.

More people probably don't do their own restomod because there's little value in it. You restore a $10k E-type and you've got a $100k investment a decade later. You restomod the same wreak and you'll be really lucky to get your money back in the same time scale. There's a massive worldwide market for a restored E-type. There's a tiny market for one persons idea of what a modernised E-type should be like.

Not so much a barn find... But more of a found barn? Either way, IndyCar driver Simon Pagenaud selfie in front of the barn from the motion picture, Days Of Thunder!

I wonder what happened to all the cars though? I remember seeing the main feature car for sale around 5 years ago in Japan if I remember right..

Attachments

• FB_20150914_03_52_26_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20150914_03_52_26_Saved_Picture.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 32
Back