Abolish The Death Penalty

The use of the death penalty in America is an old and well-established tradition—a vestige of the justice system in Britain hundreds of years ago, strengthened by the harsh traditions in our Puritan roots. For years, it has been accepted by most of mainstream America as an acceptable, just, and effective system. It wasn’t until the late 1900’s that the death penalty’s legitimacy as device for punishment was questioned outside of the far-left fringe.

In 1972, the Supreme Court issued a historic ruling in Furman v. Georgia. The ruling held that the death penalty was cruel and unusual punishment and thus in violation of the Eighth Amendment of our Constitution. However, in response to mounting pressure from the states (particularly the South), the Supreme Court overturned the Furman decision with Gregg v. Georgia, which reinstated the death penalty in our nation.

Capital punishment continues to this day in the United States, and the list of executed convicts continues to grow exponentially. Since 1930, four-thousand two-hundred and twenty people have been executed.

Before I alienate any readers who might think that I am some sort of leftist radical for pushing for abolition of the death penalty, I encourage you to step back, loose the chains of any predisposed notions on the subject, and read with an open mind. This is an issue which I see to be of the utmost importance to America – an issue growing in need of reconsideration and thought. So please, please, read with a willingness to consider arguments outside of your previous personal convictions.

The first and most fundamental part of my argument rests on the morality of capital punishment. The death penalty is immoral and violates the rights of individuals in this nation. While most of Europe, many of our allies, and even various third-world countries have abolished capital punishment, we remain in a class with countries such as Iran, Pakistan, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Zimbabwe. Is this the sort of company we want to keep? America, with its tradition of morality and its idealistic ideology, has now fallen behind some of the third-world in our continued use of capital punishment. We are also the leading killer of children. Since 1990, we have executed 19 convicts who were convicted of their crimes as juveniles. That’s something we first need to realize, then consider, then act upon. What does the rest of the world see that we don’t?

There have been numerous methods of execution throughout history, many of which are absolutely grotesque in every regard. But before we accept our current techniques as “humane,” let’s look at them in further detail. Today, we employ hangings, firing squads, electrocutions, poison gas chambers, and lethal injections.

Let’s consider electrocution, the second most commonly used method, considered by much of the American public to be “instant.” The prisoner is strapped into a wooden chair, and electrodes are attached to the head and legs. Tremendous amounts of electricity are then applied, ripping through the body with amazing force. This charge causes severe burns over all of the body, hair ignites, and eventually fluids in the brain actually boil.

An eyewitness report of the execution of John Evans in Alabama paints a particularly horrific picture of an electrocution:

“A large puff of grayish smoke and sparks poured out from under the hood that covered Mr. Evans’ face. An overpowering stench of burnt flesh and clothing began pervading the witness room. Two doctors examined Mr. Evans and declared that he was not dead.”

This same process occurred two more times before the prisoner died. The total time of the execution was fourteen minutes. Fourteen minutes of burning agony for a citizen of the United States, administered by the US government. Is this not a clear example of cruel and unusual punishment, and thus a violation of the Eighth Amendment of our Bill of Rights? And don’t think that this is an isolated incident! Florida’s infamous electric chair earned the title of “Old Sparky” because of the frequency with which it would light a prisoner’s hair on fire.

Is this the conduct of a civilized society? This infliction of such unbearable pain upon ANYONE is clearly cruel and unusual punishment. Now, I realize that at the time of the founding of our nation, capital punishment was considered an acceptable practice. But let’s not forget, so was chattel slavery! Our nation progressed out of the era of slavery, and it’s time to progress out of the era of the death penalty. Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren said that the Eighth Amendment “must draw its meaning from the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society.” Has our nation not matured sufficiently to realize that killing is wrong?

In addition to its immorality and cruelty, administration of the death penalty is discriminatory and unjust. The system of capital punishment unfairly and disproportionately harms minorities in our country. Before you dismiss this as liberal hogwash, I must present you with the overwhelming evidence and statistics demonstrating this. Since 1930, 53% of executed prisoners have been black. 53%! Take into consideration that African-Americans make up only 11% of the nation’s population! 11% of the population gets 53% of the executions!

You may say, “That’s unfortunate, but fair. The black demographic simply has a higher murder rate.” But in response to that argument, I must point out that since 1976, blacks have been 6-7 times more likely to be murdered than whites, yet 80% of murderers executed have been convicted of killing a white victim. What’s wrong with this picture?

Can this be just? Former Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun wrote, “Race continues to play a major role in determining who shall live and who shall die.” Our nation is founded upon the principle of equality for all under the law. How can we endorse a system which is so clearly unfair?

My next argument (and one of the most contested and controversial) is that the death penalty is NOT an effective deterrent of crime. First, consider the very nature of a murder. There are two kinds of murder: murders of passion, and premeditated, planned murders. In the case of a murder of passion, the perpetrator isn’t thinking about his or her decision to commit murder. There is no weighing of consequences or thoughtful decision-making process. It’s a spontaneous act fueled by tremendous emotion—and someone who might kill under these circumstances isn’t going to stop and consider the potential future effects of their actions, so there is clearly no deterrent effect under those circumstances.

The second kind of murderer, one who premeditates and plans the crime, is certainly not planning on getting caught. If the murderer thought that there was a good chance of being captured, he wouldn’t commit the crime. With the assumption that he will get away, why should he worry about punishment?

If these examples and logic aren’t sufficiently convincing, please consider the studies which have demonstrated ineffectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent. The New York Times conducted a study in 2000 which showed that the homicide rate for states WITHOUT the death penalty is been 48-101% lower than those WITH the death penalty.

A 1998 FBI Crime Report revealed that the regions of the country with the most executions are the most dangerous places for police. Ironically, the three leading states where police were killed were California, Texas, and Florida, which are the three leading death penalty states. There are too many similar studies and reports to name. If you want more information, I’d highly recommend the Amnesty International web site. Amnesty is an NGO/think-tank with a sparkling track record and high reputation as an honorable and valuable resource.

The next point may come as a shocker to you. Contrary to popular belief, the death penalty is significantly more expensive than a life prison sentence without parole. Supporters of the death penalty frequently argue that holding a prisoner for up to 70 years is too high a burden on U.S. taxpayers. This is simply unfounded. The Miami Herald reports that Florida spends $3.2 million dollars on each execution --- or roughly SIX TIMES more than a life-imprisonment sentence. The Dallas Morning News reports that Texas spends $2.3 million per execution, or about three times the cost of forty years in prison at the highest security level.

Even more shocking, the National Bureau of Economic Research reported that from 1982-1997, all capital trials cost the country an EXTRA $1.6 BILLION dollars, which would be eliminated if the death penalty were to be banned. That’s $1.6 billion dollars more than would be needed if the highest punishment was life without parole. What could we do with $1.6 billion dollars? There are 90,000 public schools in the United States right now. With $1.6 billion dollars, we could give each public school almost $18,000. With much of our nation’s educational system counting on every penny, that’s significant!

You must also know that innocent people have been and continue to be put to death. According to the Stanford Law Review, there are on average 4 cases each year when an innocent person is convicted of murder. Inevitably, some of these cases involve the death penalty.

Furthermore, 107 people have been released from death row due to innocence since 1973, some within minutes of execution. If this many have been found to be innocent, how many do you think may have slipped through the cracks? Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

The idea that innocent people have been executed for crimes they didn’t commit strengthens my absolute resolve that capital punishment must be abolished. Right now, as you read, someone is sitting in a death row cell with the knowledge that he didn’t commit any crime but will be killed nonetheless. This could be YOU, or your mother, brother, or child. And I don’t accept the argument that “mistakes are bound to happen.” Even ONE innocent death to capital punishment is a failure of the system.

Finally, nothing is accomplished as a consequence of capital punishment that can’t be accomplished as well or better by a life sentence without parole. Both remove a criminal from society. Both ensure that he or she can never kill an innocent person again. Both are very severe punishments. Plus, a death sentence has one indisputable, fundamental, and most obvious disadvantage when compared to life in prison. Death is irrevocable. In the event that evidence emerges which proves someone who was executed was actually innocent, nothing can be done. But in a high security prison with a life sentence, the innocent citizen can be exonerated and go on to live the rest of their life. If they’ve been killed, they can’t. End of story. And, of course, life imprisonment without parole doesn’t have any of the constitutional violations of the death penalty.

It’s time for out country and legislators to realize that the death penalty is an archaic, obsolete, cruel practice. Let’s abolish it . . . the sooner the better. I am hopeful that this piece may have changed a few minds or at least caused some people consider the morality, justice, and legitimacy of capital punishment. If you read this and stuck with it to the end, I extend my most sincere thanks. Anyone is welcome to discuss this with me . . . just drop me a line.

I'll have to read your post in its entirety later when I have more time, but here's my simple take on the Death Penalty – If we could have a 100% accuracy rate/test/whatever to know who is guilty of committing a homicide, then I would put my entire support behind it. However, since we currently have no way of absolutely knowing (considering how many death row inmates have been turned over due to DNA), I'm a bit wavery on the issue... my point being, punish the guilty, spare the innocent, but try to avoid sparing the guilty on accident. It's a tough balance, and tough to do with the technology we have today.

I am opposed to capital punishment. While I believe punitive measures are in order for people who have done things that might take them to the Chair, I do not believe that death is the way to do it. As a Christian, I can't not believe that where there is life there is hope for change. Even if I weren't a Christian I would probably believe this way, because of all the literature I have read where people have gone from one mindset to one that is completely different. Even if it would be expensive, why eliminate a life that could one day save humanity? In fact, with the uncertainty of the future, Capital Punishment seems illogical and quite frankly ridiculous (I know that there are some people who have family and friends who were victims of the terrorism attacks like September 11, and Oklahoma City who would kill anyone even remotely involved in the attacks at the drop of a dime, but they need to step back and look objectively at it for a minute. I know that emotions run strong and that in some cases they are just, but they also tend to carry a degree of rashness with them). So, with those arguements under my belt, I believe I have made my case against capital punishment, but I will just make one reference before I finish up this post:
Deuteronomy 32:34-35
`I am storing up these things,
sealing them away within my treasury.
I will take vengeance; I will repay those who deserve it.
In due time their feet will slip.
Their day of disaster will arrive,
and their destiny will overtake them.'

Two guys break into a house finding a mother in law, a wife, a daughter and a dog, they cut the mother in laws throat and rape the little girl while the mom watches and then rape her . They then procede to cut them both up into pieces until they die. Before going they beat the dog to death. They video tape the whole scene on the familys recorder and along with that and some other stuff they leave in the familys car. The police stop them and they manage to stab one of the police officers before being shot .
I guess they should be put in jail.

a few years back a small girl was literally butchered by her father and step-mother. The courts made their final decision just recently. The dad is only getting 25 years without parole and the step-mother is getting off with 15 and a possibility of parole. It's utterly rediculous that these people are getting off this easy if you consider the way in which they killed their daughter. I'm usually opposed to capital punishment but cases like this make me wish Canada had the death penalty. The problem is, how do you guarantee that the right person is getting the death penalty?

I agree with Sage completely. It's simple. Don't kill someone intentionally if you don't want to fry in a chair.

Only first-degree murders should even be considered for capital punishment. All other murders, intentional or unintentional, should be dealt with in another way.

The death penalty should not be used until a surefire way of proving guilt is established. I'd hate to see an innocent person fry because the system isn't 100 percent perfect. 99.99 percent perfect will not cut it.

I'm for the Death Penalty because I take it right from the Bible. Saying that "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". If you kill someone and you are found guilty by a jury of your peers then you deserve to be put to death. Should you be put to death if you rape someone, steal, or anything like that. No. It should be reserved for murder only.

240Z
BlazinXtreme
I'm for the Death Penalty because I take it right from the Bible. Saying that "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth".
...Except the Bible then contradicts itself later.
Yes, Jesus overrules what the Torah had said in his sermon on the mount. In several parts of the Torah, that rule had been stated many times (if someone does this to you, you are obligated to do this to them, etc.). It was one of Jesus' goals to override the teachings of the pharisees and saducees (sp?) in order to make way for a relationship with the father, which would be more valuable then ceremony. The fact is that the laws in the Torah were intended for the Jews to follow until better spiritual leadership came along. Since no one took up the opportunity until Jesus, they weren't expecting this change (indeed it was one of the reasons why God sent his son). The Bible has more than its fair share of contradictions, mostly between the teachings in the New Testament and the Old Testament (as the New Testament was like an amended version of the Old Testament writen special for Christianity). I'm still holding strong against capital punishment, and the tales of blood-thirsty murders and things of that nature don't sway me, as I'd rather see them surrer for as long as humanly possible for the destruction of another man than to see them killed off so quickly. The whole idea behind punishment is to make the punishee change their ways. If they're dead, what chance do they have for change?

If they cannot respect life under the law, then why should my tax dollars be used to keep them alive? What is jail for? Rehabilitation, not kindercare. More people in this world need to die. Criminals are a great place to start, especially the ones that wont be leaving anytime soon.

ShobThaBob
If they cannot respect life under the law, then why should my tax dollars be used to keep them alive? What is jail for? Rehabilitation, not kindercare. More people in this world need to die. Criminals are a great place to start, especially the ones that wont be leaving anytime soon.
kindercare? No, I'm saying that we don't let them die, but torture them in as many ways as our sick minds can come up with in hopes that they will change. Jails (and the death sentence, ironically enough) are used for punishment; and as I said earlier the main point of punishment is to get someone to change their ways. If they're dead, how then can they change? Answer me that question and then I might change my position.

They have changed from being potential threats to everyone into being no threat to anyone.

[Qoute]Since 1930, four-thousand two-hundred and twenty people have been executed.[/Qoute]

What, that's all? Man, no wonder our prisons are overcrowded!!!!!!

Jpec07
kindercare? No, I'm saying that we don't let them die, but torture them in as many ways as our sick minds can come up with in hopes that they will change. Jails (and the death sentence, ironically enough) are used for punishment; and as I said earlier the main point of punishment is to get someone to change their ways. If they're dead, how then can they change? Answer me that question and then I might change my position.

uh, your for torture, but not death? :odd: ...... Well, torture is wrong. But definately gets the point across better. :mischievous: Death should be for the second most heinous crimes, and life in the Gulag should be for the most heinous. Prisons should be worse than they are. In America anyways. No TV and no weights. Who cares if they get in prison riots and kill eachother.... they're CRIMINALS!!!

Try finding data on these two:
1) In how many cases was it later found out that the person executed was the wrong one?
2) How many of these 4000+ executions were in Texas?

in the past 25 years, there were 25 cases where there was a possibility that the person executed was innocent - http://capitaldefenseweekly.com/25casesdraft.html

that's scary stuff - at least one person per year is being executed when he may or may not be guilty

someone once said (and i think it was thomas jefferson, maybe) that "it is better to let 100 guilty criminals go than to imprison one innocent man." well I'm sorry but he must have been baked out of his mind. I mean just ask yourself this: "Would it be better to release 100 murderers/rapists/theifs/kidnappers back into the populace just to keep ONE innocent man from doing a couple years time?" now, trust me, I think it's sad and an injustice when innocent people have to do time, and i d@mn sure don't want to be thrown in jail for something I didn't do, but i'm not sure if protecting the innocent should be taken so far as to let many times more quilty go free....... that just doesn't sit well with me.

Famine
They have changed from being potential threats to everyone into being no threat to anyone.

*ring a ling a ding* (sends Famine an Escort Cosworth) The death sentence may not work the way its supposed to at the moment in america, but that doesnt mean that it isnt a bad idea :D

I could give a rats ass if a murderer is reformed . He needs to be dead beyond a reasonable doubt and I don't want to pay to feed clothe and house the bastard either. He can tell who ever he see's on the other side his problems. Over here he lost his right to life when he ended his victims.

ledhed
I could give a rats ass if a murderer is reformed . He needs to be dead beyond a reasonable doubt and I don't want to pay to feed clothe and house the bastard either. He can tell who ever he see's on the other side his problems. Over here he lost his right to life when he ended his victims.
You don't pay for it. What you do is you make him watch tapes of his victims, hear stories about him, make him feel insanely sorry for what he's done. You see, what if that Murderer turned around and one day ended up saving your life? You never know what the future holds, and in my opinion possible benefits outweigh all of the negative options. And Famine, your arguement is invalid.

Why?

It wasn't an argument either - it was a direct answer.

Jpec07
Jails (and the death sentence, ironically enough) are used for punishment; and as I said earlier the main point of punishment is to get someone to change their ways. If they're dead, how then can they change? Answer me that question and then I might change my position.

Famine
Why?

It wasn't an argument either - it was a direct answer.
Because your statement that "they'll die and save society from their crimes" implies that they're alive, even though the change happens generally as a result of the punishment (so basically you're saying that they'll change if they come back to life and then die again to pay their debt to society?).

Jpec07
Because your statement that "they'll die and save society from their crimes" implies that they're alive, even though the change happens generally as a result of the punishment (so basically you're saying that they'll change if they come back to life and then die again to pay their debt to society?).

Why is that in quotes? I never said that. I said:

"They have changed from being potential threats to everyone into being no threat to anyone."

Resurrection, salvation and debts to society were not mentioned. A living murderer is a potential threat to everyone. A dead one is no threat to anyone.

I was paraphrasing, you oaf.

What I'm saying is that they might not be a murderer anymore by the time they get out of jail.

Then don't use quotes to paraphrase, you oaf. Quote marks are for quoting. Your interpretation was wrong too - they won't save anyone from the crimes thay have already committed.

They certainly won't be a murderer any more by the time they are dead.

Famine, I'm not some illogical idiot like some of the people on these boards can be. You and I both know that you can't save someone from something that's happened in the past, and if you know what I meant (which I'm sure you do), then you shouldn't really use that in an arguement, now should you?

I am not arguing. I answered your question, fully and succinctly. I don't think that merited being called an "oaf".

The only way to ensure that you can change a murderer (first degree, obviously) into someone you can guarantee will do no more harm is if you execute them. Then "might not" doesn't enter into it.

Back