Abortion

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 2,594 comments
Isn't that confusing Eugenics (a practice undertaken and enforced in policy by an organistaion or state) with the mother's individual, personal freedom of choice?

People are free to avoid marrying white people, if they so choose. They can't make it a policy of their business to forcibly separate mixed-race couples.

Isn't that confusing Eugenics (a practice undertaken and enforced in policy by an organistaion or state) with the mother's individual, personal freedom of choice?

People are free to avoid marrying white people, if they so choose. They can't make it a policy of their business to forcibly separate mixed-race couples.
I was thinking that but Lawson is asserting that everybody in the NHS wants to wipe out Downs kids. I'm sorry he received the treatment he did but I'm sceptical about the veracity of his claims regarding widespread coercion. Abortion should always be the mother's choice and it's hard to believe the NHS would interfere with that.

Last edited:
According to Wiki, in Europe 92% of pregnancies tested and diagnosed with Downs lead to a termination. Given that that makes it the norm to abort a Downs fetus, you can see why it may have looked like pressure from staff to abort when they are just used to 9 out of 10 times that being the requested outcome.

I was thinking that but Lawson is asserting that everybody in the NHS wants to wipe out Downs kids. I'm sorry he received the treatment he did but I'm sceptical about the veracity of his claims regarding widespread coercion. Abortion should always be the mother's choice and it's hard to believe the NHS would interfere with that.
I don't think he's saying that - rather that there is more of a recommendation to terminate those with Down's than those without. He argues that we view the unborn differently in law by allowing terminations of Down Syndrome individuals up to birth but limit it to 24 weeks for a "healthy" foetus, and uses statistics and case examples to show how mothers are treated when discussing options like screening and abortions. With roughly half of respondents feeling a pressure to have tests even though they didn't want to I think it's the start of a valid criticism of how the NHS views certain disabilities.

Testing won't kill a foetus and parents ought to be fully informed on the health of their future child. NHS personnel strongly recommending this is hardly genocidal behaviour.
Which can then lead on to....

And, if the tests did prove positive for Down’s, the pressure to terminate was persistent.

Why pressure someone who doesn't want to potentially experience this?

And who is talking about genocide? The argument put forth was about eugenics.

:lol:

Wow. Such pathetic. Much straw grasping.

Apologies for the Dogespeak...it just felt right.
Is this acceptable behaviour:

“We must have been offered about 15 terminations ... at 38 weeks they made it really, really, really clear that if I changed my mind on the morning of the induction, to let them know, because it wasn’t too late until the baby had started travelling down the birth canal — I could still terminate

If not, then how many offers of terminations would be even when a parent/couple have expressed their desire to keep a child?

Last edited:
We're taking the word of a campaigner against those of PHE and BPAS. If the latter want to eradicate Downs babies they're going a mixed-message route about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-51658631

BBC
Nicola says she worries "every single day" that parents are making life or death decisions based on outdated information.

She also believes the existence of Down's syndrome is under threat by a new blood test called non-invasive prenatal testing, which Public Health England (PHE) expects to roll out across England next year.
It will be offered to women whose initial screenings show a higher chance of Down's syndrome. PHE said it wanted to enable parents to make "personal informed choices" and the optional screening "should be offered sensitively, in a non-directive way".

Clare Murphy, deputy chief executive of the British Pregnancy Advisory Service, said the test had simply given women a more accurate and less invasive screening option.

"It is a hugely important step forward in women's healthcare," she said. "To restrict it would be to restrict women's access to the most effective and low-risk way of obtaining information about their own pregnancies - and that would not be ethical at all."

We're taking the word of a campaigner against those of PHE and BPAS. If the latter want to eradicate Downs babies they're going a mixed-message route about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-51658631
It's several families and they are talking about the pressure to have tests and their subsequent interactions with healthcare professional, including being given outdated advice on Down's Syndrome and the strong emphasis on the negatives. I can't see proof that they are arguing against the availability of screening.

Hypothetical example now:

A person has a father who died of Huntington's disease. That person has been appropriately counselled about their genetic risk of inheriting the disease (50%) and has been offered a test for the condition. The person refuses and just wants to live their life without knowing if they have the fatal disease.

Is it right for them to feel pressured by healthcare professionals in follow up appointments to have the test?

Last edited:
A person has a father who died of Huntington's disease. That person has been appropriately counselled about their genetic risk of inheriting the disease (50%) and has been offered a test for the condition. The person refuses and just wants to live their life without knowing if they have the fatal disease.

Is it right for them to feel pressured by healthcare professionals in follow up appointments to have the test?

I imagine the easy answer is "not really", but this is such a case-by-case thing, and the test may not even provide a result. It's a difficult process for people. My Dad was pressured (he felt, in his distressed state) to have chemo. His Macmillan nurse thought he should, his doctor(s) thought he should, but he was too scared. But he did it and then didn't die. If he hadn't had the chemo he would have died. There's more to that pressure, of course, as a family we said we thought he should and that he'd have our full emotional and logistical support.

Different scenario, and apocryphal, but I feel like you're looking for one-size-fits-all procedures that really don't work in healthcare. Because it's made of people, as you should know by now.

Different scenario, and apocryphal, but I feel like you're looking for one-size-fits-all procedures that really don't work in healthcare. Because it's made of people, as you should know by now.
Ehhh, not really. It's a common thing to go through related examples in medical ethics to gain a broader understanding. Whereas mine was dealing with screening and a patient's wishes, yours is about therapeutic intervention with the possibility of extending life. I'm not saying it's not valid, it's just that it doesn't prove we can't generalise to a certain degree. Roughly half of people feeling they were pressured into something they may not have wanted, followed up by the giving of outdated and prejudicial information regarding prognosis is something I feel we should address.

Last edited:
doesn't prove we can't generalise to a certain degree
Do we have a yawn smiley? If several families felt pressured to have terminations then the NHS should address this. But it doesn't seem to be policy and we don't know how many people felt pressured as a percentage of the whole.

Do we have a yawn smiley? If several families felt pressured to have terminations then the NHS should address this. But it doesn't seem to be policy and we don't know how many people felt pressured as a percentage of the whole.
The post was talking about pressure on testing and the subsequent (outdated) information given to parents, not pressure to terminate although this video shows that it may be present as well.

The post was talking about pressure on testing and the subsequent (outdated) information given to parents, not pressure to terminate although this video shows that it may be present as well.
So, no eugenics after all, then?

Advocating against testing is harmful. The rest is just speculation as far as I can see. Without hard evidence I don't see how the NHS can act.

Last edited:
Hypothetical example now:

It seems like it's going to be hard for someone to have a meaningful interaction with a healthcare professional if they're going to limit their ability to do their job. "Here, I want you to figure out what's wrong with me, but you're not allowed to test for this genetic disorder that has a very wide range of symptoms and that we both know I have a 50% chance of having."

Naturally, every time such an individual goes to a doctor for anything that could be remotely related to Huntington's, they're going to be asked to be tested. Because it's the doctor's job to figure out what's wrong, and any child can tell you that the easiest way to figure out why something is broken is to start looking at the obvious things first.

You don't ask a mechanic to fix a misfire and then tell them that they're not allowed to look at the spark plugs. You either let the professional do their job, or you accept that your choice to restrict yourself and others from certain information is going to mean that you don't receive certain types of service.

"Feel pressured" sure. You have no right to not feel pressured.

I think it maybe should be criminal to know that you have a 50% chance of having it, avoid getting tested, and have biological children who end up having it. Most definitely if you know you have it and you create children who have it I think you're guilty of a crime.

I think it maybe should be criminal to know that you have a 50% chance of having it, avoid getting tested, and have biological children who end up having it. Most definitely if you know you have it and you create children who have it I think you're guilty of a crime.

From there it's a fairly direct route to mandatory genetic screening, and official permission required to procreate.

Last edited:

That seems a long way down the slippery slope, honestly. I'd be very, very careful about what is considered a sufficient genetic anomaly for it to be illegal to knowingly have children with it.

I'm no Huntington's expert, but wiki tells me that it shows up from 30-50 years old and people live an average of 20 years after diagnosis, admittedly with some potentially crushing symptoms. But a disease that essentially takes you out of circulation at 30 and kills at 50 doesn't strike me as nearly severe enough to warrant refusing that person life. If it were, then there would be a lot more emphasis on preventing youth suicide.

I'm all for parents having as much information to make decisions as possible. And preferably, for it not to be something that other people get on their case about. If someone wants to keep their kid with Down's, sure, more power to them. If someone doesn't want to, because raising a child with Down's has to be damn hard work, that should be fine too. If we want societal pressure to encourage people to avoid having children then maybe, I guess, but straight up illegal feels awful dystopian.

From there it's a fairly direct route to mandatory genetic screening, and official permission required to procreate.

Official permission to procreate is not a big concern of mine. I'd be fine with that. And genetic screening is a very good idea. So... I'm actually not seeing the dystopian future here. But, the straightforward response is, no it's not. If you know you have a high likelihood of passing on a horrible disease, and choose to, it's your responsibility what you've done to that person.

That seems a long way down the slippery slope, honestly. I'd be very, very careful about what is considered a sufficient genetic anomaly for it to be illegal to knowingly have children with it.

I'm no Huntington's expert, but wiki tells me that it shows up from 30-50 years old and people live an average of 20 years after diagnosis, admittedly with some potentially crushing symptoms. But a disease that essentially takes you out of circulation at 30 and kills at 50 doesn't strike me as nearly severe enough to warrant refusing that person life. If it were, then there would be a lot more emphasis on preventing youth suicide.

I'm all for parents having as much information to make decisions as possible. And preferably, for it not to be something that other people get on their case about. If someone wants to keep their kid with Down's, sure, more power to them. If someone doesn't want to, because raising a child with Down's has to be damn hard work, that should be fine too. If we want societal pressure to encourage people to avoid having children then maybe, I guess, but straight up illegal feels awful dystopian.

I'm fine with it. I don't think you should be able to create a child with certain genetic diseases if you know about the disease or know about a high likelihood of passing on the disease. It is not a human right to be able to create a child of any imaginable genetic makeup. The suffering you inflict on the new human as a direct result of your decisions is your responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm fine with it. I don't think you should be able to create a child with certain genetic diseases if you know about the disease or know about a high likelihood of passing on the disease. It is not a human right to be able to create a child of any imaginable genetic makeup. The suffering you inflict on the new human as a direct result of your decisions is your responsibility.
I don't have a strong case to make as I haven't thought deeply on the matter. I get a feeling that holding parents responsible for passing on their genetics is legislating against nature which seems problematic to me.

I don't have a strong case to make as I haven't thought deeply on the matter. I get a feeling that holding parents responsible for passing on their genetics is legislating against nature which seems problematic to me.

It's not actually what I'm talking about. "Passing on your genetics" is not the issue. The issue is knowingly creating a human with a severe disorder.

Last edited:
It's not actually what I'm talking about. "Passing on your genetics" is not the issue. The issue is knowingly creating a human with a severe diosorder.
I think I've equated the two, at least somewhat, as the genetics and any severe disorders resulting from the genetics are all part of nature.

That's not to say that I think anyone should knowingly create humans with disorders that cause suffering. Just that I'm not convinced (yet) that we can force people not to do that.

I think I've equated the two, at least somewhat, as the genetics and any severe disorders resulting from the genetics are all part of nature.

That's not to say that I think anyone should knowingly create humans with disorders that cause suffering. Just that I'm not convinced (yet) that we can force people not to do that.

Imagine for a moment that you could create a child in a lab with whatever genetics you choose. Should it be legal to create a child with Huntington's? SLOS? ALS?

Imagine for a moment that you could create a child in a lab with whatever genetics you choose. Should it be legal to create a child with Huntington's? SLOS? ALS?
I'd prefer if it was not legal.

A separate issue with my thought there could be that we already ban other things that could be described as 'nature'. Such as violence towards others.

Look, I can get on board with the idea that it's preferable that new humans with some genetic diseases aren't created. That seems completely reasonable, in much the same way that chopping off a baby's arms and legs isn't cool, to put it mildly. Having children that are crippled from birth is not a good thing.

I think there's a couple of problems when you get to actually legislating this as illegal though.

The first one is obvious, it's super abusable. It's way too easy for whoever is in power to use this as a tool for repression or oppression. But that problem isn't insoluble, it's just hard. Potentially you can create systems which do not allow this legislation to be used aggressively.

The second one is more difficult. How do you decide what is a genetic disease worth of being illegal? This seems like a silly question but it's actually really hard, and without having a decent framework it makes any meaningful discussion of the idea really difficult. For example, I'm really not sure that Huntington's is a strong candidate for being illegal - no one wants their child to have it but it's not like the child can't have a functional and happy life. If you knew your kid was going to get hit by a bus and die when they were thirty, I don't think that's a strong argument for not having the kid at all. Hell, if your kid was going to get hit by a bus and die when they were ten I'm not sure that's a strong argument.

It seems to me that some group of humans is ultimately going to have to make a judgement call on this, and if they get it wrong that's a pretty big deal. Do they draw the line at Parkinsons? Haemophilia? Tourettes? Autism and ADHD? There's a lot of stuff out there that gets labelled as genetic diseases and while you can see how the English language got to that label it sort of carries a lot of baggage with it that can kind of warp how people think.

In general, I think the potential dangers from allowing some group of people do enact this kind of legislation and get it wrong far outweigh any benefits from simply allowing parents to choose. The good thing about leaving it to personal choice is that as society adapts to become more accommodating for people with disabilities, parents will naturally take that into account. Being blind, deaf, or missing limbs in 2020 isn't the sort of catastrophic thing that might cause your parents to throw you into a river as a baby any more.

I think depending on the particular set of genetic diseases chosen I might, maybe be able to get on board, but as a generic concept without an actual framework this feels really bad. Potentially being outlawed from having children because I have some listed genetics seems really dystopian.

And I don't want to turn this into a personal attack or anything, but I do find it odd that you particularly as someone who is pretty outspoken about libertarianism is actually advocating legal controls on conception and birth. That doesn't seem like a libertarian response to the issue, and it actually seems like it's a very similar sort of anti-choice sentiment to the pro-life movement. You're intending to restrict what other people can do with their bodies through legislation.

This isn't intended a gotcha pointing out hypocrisy, more that I'm curious as to why you think making these sorts of births illegal is desirable despite it going pretty directly against the ideals of personal freedom and personal responsibility.

The good thing about leaving it to personal choice is that as society adapts to become more accommodating for people with disabilities,

This part is quite telling to me as to how we measure a society in the way it looks after it's disabled and those less privileged.

Fantastic post btw, I was going to reply in depth up until reading your post. It pretty much nails my thoughts on it and written in a more eloquent manner than I would have. 👍

You're intending to restrict what other people can do with their bodies through legislation.

Nope. I'm intending to restrict what other people can do to their children.

Look, I can get on board with the idea that it's preferable that new humans with some genetic diseases aren't created. That seems completely reasonable, in much the same way that chopping off a baby's arms and legs isn't cool, to put it mildly. Having children that are crippled from birth is not a good thing.

I think there's a couple of problems when you get to actually legislating this as illegal though.

The first one is obvious, it's super abusable. It's way too easy for whoever is in power to use this as a tool for repression or oppression. But that problem isn't insoluble, it's just hard. Potentially you can create systems which do not allow this legislation to be used aggressively.

The second one is more difficult. How do you decide what is a genetic disease worth of being illegal? This seems like a silly question but it's actually really hard, and without having a decent framework it makes any meaningful discussion of the idea really difficult. For example, I'm really not sure that Huntington's is a strong candidate for being illegal - no one wants their child to have it but it's not like the child can't have a functional and happy life. If you knew your kid was going to get hit by a bus and die when they were thirty, I don't think that's a strong argument for not having the kid at all. Hell, if your kid was going to get hit by a bus and die when they were ten I'm not sure that's a strong argument.

It seems to me that some group of humans is ultimately going to have to make a judgement call on this, and if they get it wrong that's a pretty big deal. Do they draw the line at Parkinsons? Haemophilia? Tourettes? Autism and ADHD? There's a lot of stuff out there that gets labelled as genetic diseases and while you can see how the English language got to that label it sort of carries a lot of baggage with it that can kind of warp how people think.

In general, I think the potential dangers from allowing some group of people do enact this kind of legislation and get it wrong far outweigh any benefits from simply allowing parents to choose. The good thing about leaving it to personal choice is that as society adapts to become more accommodating for people with disabilities, parents will naturally take that into account. Being blind, deaf, or missing limbs in 2020 isn't the sort of catastrophic thing that might cause your parents to throw you into a river as a baby any more.

I think depending on the particular set of genetic diseases chosen I might, maybe be able to get on board, but as a generic concept without an actual framework this feels really bad. Potentially being outlawed from having children because I have some listed genetics seems really dystopian.

And I don't want to turn this into a personal attack or anything, but I do find it odd that you particularly as someone who is pretty outspoken about libertarianism is actually advocating legal controls on conception and birth. That doesn't seem like a libertarian response to the issue, and it actually seems like it's a very similar sort of anti-choice sentiment to the pro-life movement.
You're intending to restrict what other people can do with their bodies through legislation.

This isn't intended a gotcha pointing out hypocrisy, more that I'm curious as to why you think making these sorts of births illegal is desirable despite it going pretty directly against the ideals of personal freedom and personal responsibility.

None of these arguments get to the principle of the matter. In fact, you've just about conceded the point with this. Your argument seems to boil down to "but I'm not sure how it would work or where to draw the line". We can talk about that if you want, there are responses to all of it, but first we should acknowledge the fact that the going-in position is that you can be held responsible for intentionally creating a child who you know will be harmed by your choice of genetics.

Just in case you're not on board with that, let's back it up one step and ask a different question. Let's say you botch an abortion. Your child is born missing an arm. Do you think that the child, once it becomes an adult, should be able to sue you (or the doctor) for the lost arm?

Last edited:
Nope. I'm intending to restrict what other people can do to their children.

Okay, that's another way to view it.

But we're in the abortion thread, and so you have to be able to recognise that restricting someone's ability to have children effects both the children that they might have had as well as that person themselves. It can be both of these things, and we can consider both of them.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss the effects on the adult who would potentially be banned from having children, in much the same way that enforcing pro-life laws requires adults to have children. You're proposing legally restricting what is arguably one of the core parts of the human experience due to factors that are totally out of people's control, and I say that as someone who doesn't have children and never will.

None of these arguments get to the principle of the matter. In fact, you've just about conceded the point with this. Your argument seems to boil down to "but I'm not sure how it would work or where to draw the line". We can talk about that if you want, there are responses to all of it, but first we should acknowledge the fact that the going-in position is that you can be held responsible for intentionally creating a child who you know will be harmed by your choice of genetics.

Sure, that seems like a reasonable axiom if we're going to be talking about this. The whole point of making something illegal is to define responsibility and consequences.

What I was trying to get at was that I feel like you're glossing over just how nebulous "harm" is as a concept here. If you want to hold people responsible, and that seems like a totally reasonable thing, then you need to be able to be clear about what it is that you're holding them responsible for and why.

As long as "harm" is left as a generic and unexamined abstract, it's really hard to have a sensible conversation because I have no idea whether your "harm" and my "harm" and @Shaun 's "harm" are even in the same ballpark, let alone similar. See the fact that we apparently disagree on whether Huntington's is a condition that should require termination of the foetus. And that matters for the same reasons that something like assault has pretty strict definitions, because it's important to recognise at least roughly where the line is between beating someone bloody with a baseball bat and bonking someone on the head with a pool noodle. There's always a bit of fuzziness because the real world is messy, and that's why we have judges, but that doesn't mean that you can't be pretty clear about what the intent of a law is if you want to be.

I agree that it would be good to disincentivise people from doing harm to children. I probably shouldn't even have to type that, but it's there just in case. However, there's a valid discussion around whether laws are the best way to do that (hence me touching on libertarianism), and if it's actually practical to create and enforce them in a way that is reasonable and just.

Just in case you're not on board with that, let's back it up one step and ask a different question. Let's say you botch an abortion. Your child is born missing an arm. Do you think that the child, once it becomes an adult, should be able to sue you (or the doctor) for the lost arm?

Assuming everything was done in good faith and without any particular negligence on the part of the doctor or parent, no, I don't think they should be able to sue just because the outcome wasn't as desired. But then I'm from Australia, and so I don't necessarily understand the whole culture around lawsuits. As far as I'm aware part of agreeing to any surgery is accepting that there may be adverse consequences, and as long as the doctor wasn't negligent or incompetent then there's very little comeback for you as a patient. The risks are explained to you beforehand and you have a choice whether you accept them and proceed or not.

I guess the "patient" here could be seen as the child, and the child had no part in the decision making process. But parents or other significant family members agreeing to surgery for those who can't make the decision for themselves (like a foetus) is pretty well established and seems fine to me. As far as I know children don't get the opportunity to sue if they're harmed by an appendectomy that was approved by their parents either, and that seems fine to me too.

But maybe part of the way I view it is the fact that my healthcare is paid for by the state, and so I'm not seeing bills for 5 or 6 figures after a botched surgery. I could see wanting to go after someone if you'd had to go into major debt only to get some horrific outcome as well.

If the abortion was a failure because the doctor was negligent or malicious, then yeah, sue for whatever you can. But if you wanted to turn that into a parallel with parents having children then I think there's a lot of framework that you'd need to build there about what negligence or malice when conceiving a child actually looks like. It seems at best very complex.

Okay, that's another way to view it.

But we're in the abortion thread, and so you have to be able to recognise that restricting someone's ability to have children effects both the children that they might have had as well as that person themselves. It can be both of these things, and we can consider both of them.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss the effects on the adult who would potentially be banned from having children, in much the same way that enforcing pro-life laws requires adults to have children. You're proposing legally restricting what is arguably one of the core parts of the human experience due to factors that are totally out of people's control, and I say that as someone who doesn't have children and never will.

Who is being banned from having children? I said that selection of certain genetics harms a child, I didn't say people weren't allowed to have children. Even if we're not talking raising children (such as through adoption), you can still biologically procreate by borrowing genetics from other places. The only thing our huntington's example would be doing is preventing the use of that person's particular genetic material in the creation of a child.

Sure, that seems like a reasonable axiom if we're going to be talking about this. The whole point of making something illegal is to define responsibility and consequences.

What I was trying to get at was that I feel like you're glossing over just how nebulous "harm" is as a concept here. If you want to hold people responsible, and that seems like a totally reasonable thing, then you need to be able to be clear about what it is that you're holding them responsible for and why.

Well I'm glad we can focus on this and not the entire concept. So in principle, we agree that choosing to create a child which is harmed should be prevented, it's just a matter of degree.

As long as "harm" is left as a generic and unexamined abstract, it's really hard to have a sensible conversation because I have no idea whether your "harm" and my "harm" and @Shaun 's "harm" are even in the same ballpark, let alone similar. See the fact that we apparently disagree on whether Huntington's is a condition that should require termination of the foetus.

I think I've been careful to avoid saying that abortions should be required. I'd say my position is more like: if it can be determined that you knew you had a high likelihood of passing on huntington's disease, and you chose to create a child anyway, and if that child is afflicted with huntington's disease, you have committed a crime. The crime of negligently risking afflicting a child with huntingtons.

The fact that you did it before the child was born is not particularly relevant to me. I'd be interested to see if someone can demonstrate why it should be. If your child was born without huntingtons and you opted to give it huntingtons, that would be a crime would it not? Would it not also be a crime to subject the child to a 50% chance of receiving huntingtons?

And that matters for the same reasons that something like assault has pretty strict definitions, because it's important to recognise at least roughly where the line is between beating someone bloody with a baseball bat and bonking someone on the head with a pool noodle. There's always a bit of fuzziness because the real world is messy, and that's why we have judges, but that doesn't mean that you can't be pretty clear about what the intent of a law is if you want to be.

It would be a matter of "what did you know", "how great was the risk", and "how demonstrable is the harm". Which is basically the case in all legal analysis. You'd need to show intent, or reckless disregard for consequences, and significant demonstrable harm to the child.

I agree that it would be good to disincentivise people from doing harm to children. I probably shouldn't even have to type that, but it's there just in case. However, there's a valid discussion around whether laws are the best way to do that (hence me touching on libertarianism), and if it's actually practical to create and enforce them in a way that is reasonable and just.

One way to do it without the creation of new laws would be the one I alluded to with the botched abortion case. Let an afflicted adult bring a suit or case against their parent for their parent's harmful choices which have left them with a significantly diminished quality of life. There are a few obvious problems with that, one of which is that some children can be so afflicted that they do not survive to adulthood. And also that people can be so afflicted that as an adult they are incapable of taking action. In fact, I suspect that in many cases in the US, the person who made the decision to afflict their child with such a disease (or take that risk) can end up that child's legal guardian throughout their entire life.

In that situation I think it would make sense for the state to bring the case against the parent, even while the injured party is a minor.

It's more difficult to argue that people should be prevented from doing it in the first place, since the parent can argue all sorts of things, including that the risks are not correctly calculated, or that the test was faulty, etc. But if they have the information, and they act, and it turns out that harm did actually result, it's harder to argue those things. There's just a more clear legal case.

Assuming everything was done in good faith and without any particular negligence on the part of the doctor or parent, no, I don't think they should be able to sue just because the outcome wasn't as desired.

This isn't a case where someone got sick and the doctor wasn't able to save their life. Or where someone's nose job didn't turn out as pretty as they hoped. This is a case where one thing was desired - no baby - and a completely different thing occurred - baby with no arm. It's like going in to get your leg amputated and having the wrong one amputated. Even in a purely accidental case, that kind of thing gets you awarded damages in the US. But perhaps that's not a strong enough scenario to make the point.

How about someone does drugs while pregnant and gives birth to a baby who has NAS, and lives a short life of pain, seizures, and ultimately dies. Any crime there?

Last edited:
Back