About the future of Gran Turismo

• Thread starter GT_Anon123
  • 58 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
bs_meter.jpg

I will not disclose this information for obvious reasons.
Very good, that's the right thing to do. Thanks for the assurance. 👍
  • Polyphony and another contractor working on a gran turismo 2 remaster (ran into a bunch of problems with licensing and branding)
  • Gran Turismo 7 To NOT be a next gen Launch title
  • Gran turismo sport to get a better touch up with backwards compatibility on next gen
  • Gran Turismo 7 to be a traditional game with all of Sports assets
Aww, you went and disclosed it. In the same post even.

& I trusted you. :(

Very dubious.

I am reminded of Darth Helmet and Lone Starr's first meeting in Spaceballs with the punchline being "What's that make us?"and the reply "Absolutely nothing! which seems to be the result of the op post.

He hasn't posted anything that sounds unreasonable tbh. Could easily be a TCR tester for Sony.

As for this:
What's the value in remaking a racing game from 20 years ago?

Mobile market.
The game's already made - assets, etc -so it's not a big deal to send the build over to an external mobile developer and have them knock out a few SKUs; there's no costly submission or certification requirements to release on iOS or Android either, so there's that.

I can easily see a GT2 mobile port...

He hasn't posted anything that sounds unreasonable tbh. Could easily be a TCR tester for Sony.
He also hasn't posted anything to support it, and as such, I personally intend to treat it with the value that is afforded

As for this:

Mobile market.
The game's already made - assets, etc -so it's not a big deal to send the build over to an external mobile developer and have them knock out a few SKUs; there's no costly submission or certification requirements to release on iOS or Android either, so there's that.

I can easily see a GT2 mobile port...
That's not the costly part.

Re licencing every car, real-world track and song in the title is, particularly given that a massive number of the car brands that have changed ownership or gone bust since GT2 was released.

He also hasn't posted anything to support it, and as such, I personally intend to treat it with the value that is afforded
👍

Oh really?

Re licencing every car, real-world track and song in the title is, particularly given that a massive number of the car brands that have changed ownership or gone bust since GT2 was released.
I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about when it comes to the economics of video game development, but you are right, if they wanted to release the full game again I'm sure the licensing fees could rapidly spiral - he references this in the OP.
However, it's really no hardship to just omit any brands or models that may prove particularly costly to re-license.
For example, the GTA Vice City & San Andreas mobile releases both have several tracks removed because the usage licenses had expired (best example is Billie Jean in VC).

I don't find it difficult to imagine a GT2 mobile version with just original tracks and stripped-down car list in the pipeline.

There is one real world track. All the copyright owned by someone else music can be replaced by Sony latest stuff. It is a lot of cars though. Perhaps as part of a deal for the car in GTS or GT7?

Oh really?
Yep.

I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about when it comes to the economics of video game development, but you are right, if they wanted to release the full game again I'm sure the licensing fees could rapidly spiral - he references this in the OP.
I can assure you I do when it comes to the cost of software development and vehicle licencing (I currnetly work for a software house that supplies the Automotive industry and have an OEM background and used to know the person who dealt with it for Renault / Nissan).

However, it's really no hardship to just omit any brands or models that may prove particularly costly to re-license.
For example, the GTA Vice City & San Andreas mobile releases both have several tracks removed because the usage licenses had expired (best example is Billie Jean in VC).

I don't find it difficult to imagine a GT2 mobile version with just original tracks and stripped-down car list in the pipeline.
The question then becomes is it GT2? The audio for me is not an issue (but could be for others), the car list is, and it's likely to need the entire thing re-doing all over again.

There is one real world track. All the copyright owned by someone else music can be replaced by Sony latest stuff. It is a lot of cars though. Perhaps as part of a deal for the car in GTS or GT7?
Its a lot of cars, which equates to a lot of time and money.

I can assure you I do when it comes to the cost of software development and vehicle licencing (I currnetly work for a software house that supplies the Automotive industry and have an OEM background and used to know the person who dealt with it for Renault / Nissan).
That's great. So how many AAA console games has your software house ported and brought to market on mobile?

That's great. So how many AAA console games has your software house ported and brought to market on mobile?
Does commercial software not cost anything now?

You might want to go back and re-read the post I was replying to, the one that made the claim that from a development point a port to a mobile platform would be cheap, as that was the context of my reply.

You don’t really see remasters in the racing sim world. They’re limited to arcade titles like Crash Bandicoot Racing, Mario Kart & Burnout.

All of PD’s resources will be focused on content creation for GT Sport/GT7. Original tracks will be right at the top of that list. The old CaRPG elements can be reintroduced in GT7 and run parallel with the Sport Mode we have today.

Best case scenario to play old GT’s is if PS5 has PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility (perhaps with hardware upscaling, AA etc.). Even then you’d be reliant on using a disc version as Sony won’t renew all the necessary licensing to put it on PSN. If GT’s from previous gens ever show up on PSNow, then you can start dreaming of remasters.

I wouldn't insult the guy btw, there might be a genuine chance that he's become privy to from privileged information. However, I think it would have been better for him to PM or email GTP staff incase his post gets him or someone else in trouble.

You don’t really see remasters in the racing sim world. They’re limited to arcade titles like Crash Bandicoot Racing, Mario Kart & Burnout.

All of PD’s resources will be focused on content creation for GT Sport/GT7. Original tracks will be right at the top of that list. The old CaRPG elements can be reintroduced in GT7 and run parallel with the Sport Mode we have today.

Best case scenario to play old GT’s is if PS5 has PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility (perhaps with hardware upscaling, AA etc.). Even then you’d be reliant on using a disc version as Sony won’t renew all the necessary licensing to put it on PSN. If GT’s from previous gens ever show up on PSNow, then you can start dreaming of remasters.
Sony had reduced the PS1 and PS2 to single chip designs before the PS3 was released. Those chips cost pounds then. They would cost pennies now. They should add them to the PS5 no question. PS3? Rather more problematic.

Unless this is right.

https://www.t3.com/amp/news/ps5-tip-off-reveals-consoles-insane-power-as-sony-meeting-infiltrated

In which case software emulation might be possible.

Sony had reduced the PS1 and PS2 to single chip designs before the PS3 was released. Those chips cost pounds then. They would cost pennies now. They should add them to the PS5 no question. PS3? Rather more problematic.

Unless this is right.

https://www.t3.com/amp/news/ps5-tip-off-reveals-consoles-insane-power-as-sony-meeting-infiltrated

In which case software emulation might be possible.
PS3 software emulation is going well in the 'homebrew' (for lack of a better word) community on standard PC's. With a dedicated box and professional Sony employee's with full access to PS3 software and architecture AND dedicated hardware/software rather than trying to get it running ontop of Windows... it should be more than possible for the PS5 to emulate the PS3.

This should mean that Konami can republish MGS4 and we can get it in glorious 60fps with faster/better loading/installing times :D

Meh, some things in GT4 were crap compared to GT2, mostly sound, car handling and AI related. Drive a cobra in GT4 and GT sport (or an equivalent powerful rear drive car in GT2) and you will see what I mean.

GT4 was cool because of the huge car choice, track choice, and the huge amount of used cars including the blacked LM proto. If the next GT could be a mix of GT2, GT4 with the graphics, sound and handling from GT sport i would buy it.

Anyways, everyone will have a different opinion

In fairness I enjoyed GT 1 2 3 and 4, never got on with 5 so I can see your point, It has been so long since I played GT2 I can't remember it well enough to say different to your opinion. I know I completed it and spent far to many hours on it but I don't think I am alone on that one.

All next GTs except Sport are basically remakes and/or remaster of previous one (there's Arcade mode and GT mode where with 10k-20k you buy a car, complete licenses, and clear events in various difficulties) with varying contents (RM being left, no UCD in GT3/GT6, missions in GT4, special events in GT5, track creator, etc.)....so should say like make GT7 similar to GT2 or GT4.

All next GTs except Sport are basically remakes and/or remaster of previous one (there's Arcade mode and GT mode where with 10k-20k you buy a car, complete licenses, and clear events in various difficulties) with varying contents (RM being left, no UCD in GT3/GT6, missions in GT4, special events in GT5, track creator, etc.)....so should say like make GT7 similar to GT2 or GT4.
If all those GTs aside from GT Sport are remakes as what you are suggesting, then that makes the latter a spin-off from the main titles, right?

I can see it as possible that GT7 might have the same disc for PS4 and PS5 because the PS5 is going to use a x86 cpu architechture. Like how some Gameboy games were black and white on Gameboy Classic/Pocket and coloured on the Gameboy Color and Super Gameboy.

Doesn't seem like it should be hard to do.

I can see it as possible that GT7 might have the same disc for PS4 and PS5 because the PS5 is going to use a x86 cpu architechture. Like how some Gameboy games were black and white on Gameboy Classic/Pocket and coloured on the Gameboy Color and Super Gameboy.

Doesn't seem like it should be hard to do.
It isn't going to be for the PS4 mate. They are not going to make that mistake again. I don't think anyone believes it will make it out in time for the release of the PS5 and that isn't coming for at least a year minimum. PD simply don't make games that quickly. Then there's Sony. Why would they release on both systems? They will want you to buy the PS5 for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back