AC on pc at minimum system requirment worth playin?PC 

United States
United States
I checked the sys req and it looks like I can meet them with a few upgrades, dual core 2.8ghz AMD using on board video
so I will need a video card and bigger power supply to power it, and I can max out my RAM to 4 gig
Question is should I bother spending the $$ or is this just wish full thinking on my part?

I think that should be totally fine. Try to get the best video card you can afford, of course. 4GB RAM should be okay. You might need to go easy on the other running programs while playing AC though. I really hope someone else comes along and gives you an opinion because I don't want to possibly steer you in the wrong direction, but I don't think so. I just looked at what KUNOS lists for minimum system requirements and you would exceed them, especially if you get yourself a very decent/good video card.

I've heard people in the official forums mention that they've been getting increased system performance with the last couple of updates, so that should only be even more encouraging to your situation. I can tell you this, Assetto Corsa on PC is night and day, one thousand times better of a game than it is on the console. Please let me know if do decide to pull the string on upgrading the PC to run Assetto Corsa. Good luck!! 👍 :)

I played AC on minimum system requirements for 18 months. You won`t be able to race, only hotlap. The graphics are terrible and I could only get about 50fps while hotlapping. But the ffb is still fantastic if you have a wheel!

If you are planning to play on controller. Then for the cost of a decent graphics card and power supply then you could buy a PS4 or Xbone. Hope this helps. 👍

I checked the sys req and it looks like I can meet them with a few upgrades, dual core 2.8ghz AMD using on board video
so I will need a video card and bigger power supply to power it, and I can max out my RAM to 4 gig
Question is should I bother spending the $$ or is this just wish full thinking on my part?
Depends. You're going to be severely limited with minimum specs. Settings at the lowest possible, unreliable frame rates not likely to hit 60, and not likely to be able to race with AI. If you're ok with that, then it's worth it. I'd take a hard look at your budget though and maybe look at some used equipment to see if you can get a little ahead of minimum specs.

Thanks for the help,
I figure a decent video card and good power supply are investments that l can transfer to another computer build in the future,
Plan is an Intel quad core i5 when l can afford it, something that can play assetto, P cars, and GTAV,

You guys are telling him how the system will perform right at the bottom of system requirements, but with a decent video card (Im not suggesting a 980ti) and his CPU is slightly above minimum req, isn't it? I'd think he would get a playable performance, albeit not a terribly pretty one.

Hmmm....Maybe I'm completely wrong. I would certainly hate to see you invest money into upgrading an older system only to find out it still can't play Assetto Corsa which was the reason you bought new components in the first place. I truly don't know what you should do. Since Assetto Corsa is the only game I play, I'm not exactly an expert in this area. I run AC off a laptop, but its a one-year old i7, 16GB RAM, 2 x 965m in SLI...So, I can max all settings out. I'm honestly not aware of how quickly the drop off in performance occurs when stepping backward in generations of CPUs. I wish I could be more helpful. :(

I'm honestly not aware of how quickly the drop off in performance occurs when stepping backward in generations of CPUs. I wish I could be more helpful. :(

Well AC uses CPU to support the graphics and run the AI. It's always been one of the most CPU-hungry sims on the market when it comes to running AI.

Dual Core desktop CPUs of 2.8GHz have been made for close to 10 years, and we have absolutely no idea just how old it is. But "max 4GB RAM" is a big hint that it's closer to 10 years old than new (a new CPU could handle 32GB RAM, in fact my Skylake motherboard supports 64GB). And in terms of supporting the GPU, remember that the motherboard could be PCIe 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 slot, which is an additional probable bottleneck.

If you look up benchmarks of a modern i3 versus a 10 year old Athlon X2 both at 2.8GHz you will be astonished just how much difference in performance there is. So while a modern Skylake i3 would probably not bottleneck a modern GPU too badly (but would still have trouble with a larger AI field in AC), a dual core CPU of close to 10 years old will not have a hope.

I'd say if the AMD dual core CPU is older than 2010 it's not worth even thinking about trying. If it's 2010-2012 (which I doubt after the 4GB RAM message) then you might possibly be able to hotlap without AI but the CPU will bottleneck everything. 2013-2016 (unlikely) would be worth a try and you should get small AI fields.

@skazz Thank you for speaking up. I'm probably one of the least authoritative people in the Assetto Corsa forum when it comes to gaming knowledge and unfortunately, that includes the demands of modern games on computer resources. I used to be encyclopedic when it came to computer hardware, but over the last 8 or so years (ever since I got sick) I haven't paid much attention to what's what.

I should have known that the CPU would be an issue. I frequently see messages on the Official Forums talking about the CPU demands of Assetto Corsa and I even occasionally pull up Task Manager to see what kind of load my laptop is taking when playing AC. I wonder what led to the programming decision to put more demands on the CPU rather than the GPU? Or is AC heavily taxing on video card GPUs just as well and the CPUs?

I wonder what led to the programming decision to put more demands on the CPU rather than the GPU? Or is AC heavily taxing on video card GPUs just as well and the CPUs?

Developer vision.

Kunos decided to keep the AI using identical physics to the player, with no tweaks or shortcuts. This uses a lot of CPU. They have optimized heavily since launch (console release also helped focus on that) but their AI is still much heavier load than other sims which use simplified physics.

As l suspected, guess l will just have to wait till l can get a newer system,
However spending money to upgrade the CPU sounds great if it does indeed result in better ai,s

Last edited:
As l suspected, guess l will just have to wait till l can get a newer system,
However spending money to upgrade the CPU sounds great if it does indeed result in better ai,s
Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Assetto Corsa on the PC is so, so, so much fun. 👍

I got a new pc back in August: Intel i5 4460 @ 3.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, no video card, I used Intel HD Graphics 4600 at first. It's playable with graphical settings on minimum but quality of graphics was pretty poor. A few weeks later I installed a GTX 750 Ti 2GB, changed most graphical settings either to high or medium and the quality improved considerably.
If possible you should always try to invest on a pc that can run games at least on the recommended settings.

Back